Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 Chinese baby born with syphilis each hour

Default 1 Chinese baby born with syphilis each hour

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100506/...philis_scourge

I'm guessing there aren't any safe sex marketing/teaching in China. They're lucky it's just syphilis.

Considering there are over 245 babies born in the world every minute, so that's 14700 every hour. China holds some 1/5 of world population. So let's assume 14700/5 = 2940 births every minute in China. So 0.00034% of babies born with syphilis? Might be higher than other countries but let's not make too big a deal out of this.

Are you kidding me? Safe sex education needs to start in China before these babies are born with worse.

If it can be avoided that is no baby born with syphilis, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    Are you kidding me? Safe sex education needs to start in China before these babies are born with worse.
    I have also heard about the poor sex education in China. In fact, though some are quite serious [baby born with syphilis?], others are quite funny. I read about one university aged couple that couldn't get pregnant even though they were sleeping with each other every night. It turned out that while they were indeed sleeping together, they were only sleeping in the same bed as one another....but no hanky panky was going on LoL! They thought that they could get pregnant just by sleeping side by side in the same bed haha.

And then, there was another couple who knew that they needed a condom to practice safe sex...but had no idea how to use it properly . Did anyone else get the "condom goes over the banana" example in high school sex ed? I remember one snarky kid exclaiming, "But most of condoms are just TOO small!" To which the teacher stuck her entire fist and forearm into said supposedly small condom.

It's not like he would've been comparable to the banana anyway...
    I like me.

I am not a big fan of china and do not like their policies most of the time, but china is a sovereign country, we should leave her alone to deal with her problems. It's none of anyone else business.

http://www.herpes.com/overview.shtml

In other news, about 80 millions, or over 1 in 5 adults in America have genital herpes.

Clearly, America needs better safe sex ed much more than China does.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Sounds more like china needs antenatal screening
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    http://www.herpes.com/overview.shtml

In other news, about 80 millions, or over 1 in 5 adults in America have genital herpes.

Clearly, America needs better safe sex ed much more than China does.
    Dude, are you really defending the fact that babies are being born with syphilis in China? SERIOUSLY? Asians may not have the Christian attitudes toward abortion that Westerners do, but even Asians understand how HORRIBLE it is for their child to be born with a sexually transmitted disease. Thankfully (if I can say that) this is just syphilis. What if these babies were born with HIV? At the very least, a guy should wear a condom if they're having sex with a prostitute. Not doing so is plain stupidity and totally lacking in concern for oneself, one's wife and one's child. There is no getting around how idiotic and morally reprehensible it is to give one's own child syphilis.

Why do you keep bringing up the USA?

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    I am not a big fan of china and do not like their policies most of the time, but china is a sovereign country, we should leave her alone to deal with her problems. It's none of anyone else business.
    China is also an international country and they need to understand that infectious diseases (sexually transmitted and otherwise) isn't the problem of any single country. As such, China needs to ensure their citizen's health better so that the people who visit China do not carry a infectious disease from China back to their home countries. China needs to understand that if it wants to be an international country, it has to be responsible for the health and welfare of the international community along with its own citizens.

Trien Chieu, according to the article, it seems most likely that these babies got the disease from their fathers who paid for sex. I'd think that you'd be the first person decrying what is happening to these babies based upon what their fathers have done.

I can't get over it. But, is Candide really defending the fact that FATHERS are GIVING SYPHILIS TO their OWN BABIES? SERIOUSLY? WTF?????
    Last edited by Dirt; 05-10-10 at 12:19 PM.

I don't care for the babies of China, but it sure is entertaining watching you nut hug USA on your crusade against China.

Quote Originally Posted by Banh Mi View Post
    I don't care for the babies of China, but it sure is entertaining watching you nut hug USA on your crusade against China.
    I'm "nut hugging" the Republic of China (the country of my birth, effectively, the nut from which I sprang) which is also a Democracy that believes in individual freedoms and protecting the health of its citizens. I'm not on a crusade against China, I'm on a crusade against the Communist Party of China and its oppresive policies (one of which until recently, ironically, has been to deny Taiwan access to the WHA). Your comments belie your beliefs and intentions; if you care nothing for the babies, the citizens of China, and yet you mock me because you believe I'm "nut hugging" the USA for criticizing China, then you either have a hatred for the USA or a blind belief in and defense of the rulers of China. If the former is true, why don't you share with us why you hate the USA? If the latter is true, why would you defend China but not care for its citizens?

Or perhaps, simply, a third reason: to make an ad hominem attack by calling me a "nut hugger" (sure are a lot of those 'round these parts). Don't be disingenous and don't be a coward, explain your true intentions, thoughts and beliefs. Don't just be a "drive-by" poster.
    Last edited by Dirt; 05-10-10 at 02:43 PM.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100510/..._aids_activist

Here's an article on a Chinese AIDs activist who recently "nug hugged" the USA and left the harrassment by the CPC because he was trying to get more awareness and acceptence of AIDs and the people who have them. I think it's pretty cowardly of him to leave his people hanging like that, but I can also understand how people can be oppressed to the point where they feel they have no choice but to flee.

I can see how Mr. Gao Zhisheng could be seen as a threat to CPC power. But, how is a AIDs activist a threat to the CPC's authority?
    Last edited by Dirt; 05-10-10 at 02:11 PM.

Trien Chieu, according to the article, it seems most likely that these babies got the disease from their fathers who paid for sex. I'd think that you'd be the first person decrying what is happening to these babies based upon what their fathers have done.
    That is the one of the main reason why I am a social conservative. I believe people should practice abstinence and prostitution should be illegal. Abstinence is a key to lot of social problems but too bad modern society no longer value it anymore.

I'm not defending anything. Firstly as mentioned in a previous post, there are very few cases of babies with syphilis in China. The "each hour" stat is just to make it look worse than it really is.

Secondly, yes it's obvious as day that you're on a crusade against China. I'm just pointing out the fact that the country you're calling home is far from better. Take care of your own house first before you point fingers.

Personally I love bashing China - I'm Vietnamese, remember? I just don't want to look like a stupid hypocrit while doing so.

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Not only China has babies born with syphilis.

More U.S. babies born with syphilis

I guess, safe-sex education/marketing aren't any better in U.S. either.

"After declining for 14 years, the congenital syphilis rate among infants aged under 1 year increased 23 percent, from 8.2 cases per 100,000 live births in 2005 to 10.1 during 2008," the CDC team reported in the agency's weekly report on death and disease.
    (10.1/100000) x 100 = 0.0101%

Way higher than flamer's estimated rate of 0.00034% for China leh.
    Last edited by kidd; 05-10-10 at 10:14 PM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Ouch, that gotta hurt.

What about the ROC? That is what I've said in this thread that I'm "nut hugging.". Are you paying attention, mate?
    Last edited by Dirt; 05-10-10 at 10:44 PM.

You must feel like he's in a forum full of pro china, which is hardly the case. We aren't protecting china. You are no better than the propaganda machines of china or western media - wave around one piece of information as fact without analysing it or doing much background research (even the article goes into other factors of raising rates and the difficulties china face in bring it down). Having been brought up in US, you have little appreciation of mainland culture and it shows through in your faked empathy and assumed wants of its citizens. When US is used as the comparator, with its democracy, awesome health care and unbiased media, it just make your case even weaker.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

Well said Yittz.
    Dirt, most people are are neither china's fan nor pro china but they are not stupid hypocrite. They would not bash china for something that the rest of the world is not any better. As for china, there is lot of things go wrong in the country. It doesn't make sense that a country has trillions of dollars in foreign reserve plus hundreds of billions in US bond but at the same time people are dying of pollution.

I'm "nut hugging" the Republic of China (the country of my birth, effectively, the nut from which I sprang) which is also a Democracy that believes in individual freedoms and protecting the health of its citizens. I'm not on a crusade against China, I'm on a crusade against the Communist Party of China and its oppresive policies (one of which until recently, ironically, has been to deny Taiwan access to the WHA). Your comments belie your beliefs and intentions; if you care nothing for the babies, the citizens of China, and yet you mock me because you believe I'm "nut hugging" the USA for criticizing China, then you either have a hatred for the USA or a blind belief in and defense of the rulers of China. If the former is true, why don't you share with us why you hate the USA? If the latter is true, why would you defend China but not care for its citizens?

Or perhaps, simply, a third reason: to make an ad hominem attack by calling me a "nut hugger" (sure are a lot of those 'round these parts). Don't be disingenous and don't be a coward, explain your true intentions, thoughts and beliefs. Don't just be a "drive-by" poster.
    How do I feel about China? How do I feel about USA? Simply, I don't care about either, because it doesn't affect me. You read too far into it.
    You clearly have a bias and agenda, I found it amusing.
    my intentions? None, I know nothing of the topic, neither do I care about it.
    You seem to take everything as a personal attack. And if anyone humours you with some evidence to back their point, you spin it a completely different way. Why should anyone take you seriously when you debate in such a crass manner.