Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: xuzu vs the 3000 xu monks

Default xuzu vs the 3000 xu monks

Xuzhu is, of course, a monk of the Xu-generation of Shaolin. With the state of his undisadvantageableness at the end of novel, can he take on 3000 of his Xu-generation peers? Even considering their large size, can they really do anything harmful to him?
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Bloody hell... "Xu"? "undisadvantageableness"? What is this, PJ?

Quote Originally Posted by flamer View Post
    Bloody hell... "Xu"? "undisadvantageableness"? What is this, PJ?
    Each generation of Shaolin disciples has a distinctive first character.

Xuzhu's generation is Xu, while the generation above is Xuan. That's why you see all the seniors monks and the abbot are all Xuan-something, while Xuzhu's peers are all Xu-something.

As for "undisadvantageableness", it's just PJ's newly acquired way to mess with people's head.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    Each generation of Shaolin disciples has a distinctive first character.

Xuzhu's generation is Xu, while the generation above is Xuan. That's why you see all the seniors monks and the abbot are all Xuan-something, while Xuzhu's peers are all Xu-something.

As for "undisadvantageableness", it's just PJ's newly acquired way to mess with people's head.
    There were actually 4 generations during DGSD's time. Xuan was the most senior and Xu was the most junior. Can't recall the other two. One was 'Hui' IIRC.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    There were actually 4 generations during DGSD's time. Xuan was the most senior and Xu was the most junior. Can't recall the other two. One was 'Hui' IIRC.
    Yeah, I just don't want to remember all that stuff.

But I like this kind of naming tradition.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

There might have even been one more generation. I'm not sure if anyone in that generation was still alive, but one of its members, the ex-abbot, was mentioned as a peer of Tianshan Tonglao.

Five generations were mentioned in the novel: 靈 (ling)、玄 (xuan)、慧 (hui)、虛(xu) and 空(kong). None of the 'ling' generation were mentioned as being alive in DGSD, so the 'xuan' generation was probably the eldest generation, but the youngest generation is 'kong', not 'xu'.

Five generations were mentioned in the novel: 靈 (ling)、玄 (xuan)、慧 (hui)、虛(xu) and 空(kong). None of the 'ling' generation were mentioned as being alive in DGSD, so the 'xuan' generation was probably the eldest generation, but the youngest generation is 'kong', not 'xu'.
    kong? is this the same as the kong generation in HSDS? If yes, why on earth is JY reusing it?
    Quote Originally Posted by remixedasian View Post
    6: Duan Yu is the greatest martial artist of all time

He could do a Lion's Roar and knock out all 3000.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    He could do a Lion's Roar and knock out all 3000.
    A bit of topic here, but would he need to use more energy to knock 3000 compare to knock only 1 using Lions Roar?
    You do know that it is just fiction, dont you?

kong? is this the same as the kong generation in HSDS? If yes, why on earth is JY reusing it?
    Nothing wrong with re-using the names if a couple hundred years have passed. If there is 4-6 generations every 100 years, they would run out of names soon enough.

Nothing wrong with re-using the names if a couple hundred years have passed. If there is 4-6 generations every 100 years, they would run out of names soon enough.
    yes, there isnt anything wrong, except that Tianshan Tonglao was able to deduce XZ's generation simply by his name, which implies that it follows some sort of convention that is known to her. If that is the case, if the names are reused, shouldn't the order be the same? I am pretty sure this wasnt the case in HSDS though.

yes, there isnt anything wrong, except that Tianshan Tonglao was able to deduce XZ's generation simply by his name, which implies that it follows some sort of convention that is known to her. If that is the case, if the names are reused, shouldn't the order be the same? I am pretty sure this wasnt the case in HSDS though.
    I would think its pretty common knowledge in wulin of the 'current' Shaolin names. No big deal that she knew.

I would think its pretty common knowledge in wulin of the 'current' Shaolin names. No big deal that she knew.
    The text in chinese of Chapter 35:
    那女童道:“你法名叫虚竹,嗯,灵、玄、慧、虚,你是少林派中第三十七代弟子。玄慈、
    玄悲、玄苦、玄难这些小和尚,都是你的师祖?”
    I get the impression that she is reciting a known list of generation names instead of knowledge of the current Shaolin names.

Besides, I thought XZ was the youngest generation at that time? There was no one with the generation 'kong' that appeared as far as I can recall. Where did you get 'kong'?

I don't know where this is from, but I believe there is indeed a convention to Shaolin generation naming, which is some Buddhist poem. Each generation's name is the next character in the poem and I assume they start over once they reach the end.
    Reverend Rongku prepared himself.

Suddenly, he toss his hands and screamed: "I am not human! I am an animal!"

The crowd startled at such a bizarre beginning to the story.

K2Grey is correct; there is a Shaolin naming poem, in which each character in the poem is also a generation.

福慧智子觉,了本圆可悟。
    周洪普广宗,道庆同玄祖。
    清净真如海,湛寂淳贞素。
    德行永延恒,妙本常坚固。
    心朗照幽深,性明鉴崇祚。
    衷正善禧禅,谨悫原济度。
    雪庭为导师,引汝归铉路。

Jinyong, however, does not appear to have rigorously adhered to this poem, as he threw in some nonexistent surnames (such as Xu or Kong), and the rest didn't seem to be in order either.
    Last edited by Ren Wo Xing; 05-12-10 at 02:07 AM.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by AnhHung View Post
    A bit of topic here, but would he need to use more energy to knock 3000 compare to knock only 1 using Lions Roar?
    I think so. If nothing else, some of the 3000 people would be standing farther away, so they should be less affected by the roar.

I get the impression that she is reciting a known list of generation names instead of knowledge of the current Shaolin names.

Besides, I thought XZ was the youngest generation at that time? There was no one with the generation 'kong' that appeared as far as I can recall. Where did you get 'kong'?
    I guess the fact that she could recite the names of 玄慈、玄悲、玄苦、玄难 from memory means that she was reasonably informed of Shaolin's info though.

It was mentioned several times in the Shaolin temple scenes. e.g.

Chapter 39:

那僧人名叫緣根,並非從少林寺出家,因此不依"玄慧虛"字輩排行
    "虛竹,本寺僧眾現今以'玄、慧、虛、'排行,你是本派的第三代弟子..."

Chapter 41:

玄慧虛四代少林僧各執兵刃,列隊出寺。

I don't recall any named monks of the 'kong' generation, but from the last quote they seem to be old enough to fight for the temple.

It was mentioned several times in the Shaolin temple scenes. e.g.

Chapter 39:

那僧人名叫緣根,並非從少林寺出家,因此不依"玄慧虛空"字輩排行
    "虛竹,本寺僧眾現今以'玄、慧、虛、空'排行,你是本派的第三代弟子..."

Chapter 41:

玄慧虛空四代少林僧各執兵刃,列隊出寺。

I don't recall any named monks of the 'kong' generation, but from the last quote they seem to be old enough to fight for the temple.
    Thanks Doc Kwok.

I guess the fact that she could recite the names of 玄慈、玄悲、玄苦、玄难 from memory means that she was reasonably informed of Shaolin's info though.
    那女童道:“怎么不是小和尚?我和他师父灵门大师平辈论交,玄慈怎么不是小和尚?又有什么‘太过’不‘太过 ’的?”
    Not necessarily. She mentioned that she knew and was friends with their master Ling Men so it is possible that she had met them when they were younger, hence the 小和尚 reference, i.e. she first met them when they were young and as she has not left the mountain in years, she only remembers them as young little monks.

TSTL strikes me as a very arrogant woman who looks down on everyone and probably won't purposely enquire into matters not of her own interest. So it is quick possible that she won't take note of Shaolin matters or even current affairs unless it directly concerned her, LQS or her one love.