Thread: New Beginnings 红白喜事

Default New Beginnings 红白喜事

Li Zi Hao (Tay Ping Hui) is the son of a matchmaker and owns a shop selling wedding items. He gets to know Cai Shi Ya (Jeanette Aw) and likes her. Shi Ya inherits her father’s funeral parlour, although she is dedicated to her profession, she is often misunderstood and Zi Hao has to break off their relationship because of the conflicting nature of their business.

Zi Hao and his brother Zi Yang (Zhang Zhen Huan), together with Tang Wen Xi (Jesseca Liu) set up a one-stop wedding shop. Zi Hao falls in love with Wen Xi, who in turn likes Zi Yang. But Zi Yang only has eyes for Shi Ya’s sister Shi Hui. Shi Hui is disdainful of the family business and tries hard to hide the fact, her only goal in life is to marry well.

Ye Jia Jun (Elvin Ng) turns up for a job vacancy at Shi Ya’s funeral parlour, not known to her, the former joins the parlour with the intention to seek revenge. After working together, Jia Jun and Shi Ya develop feelings for each other.

Cast: Tay Ping Hui, Jeanette Aw, Elvin Ng, Jesseca Liu, Zhang Zhen Huan, Lin Mei Jiao, Hong Hui Fang, Chen Tian Wen, Yao Wen Long

Episodes: 20 eps

Source: http://www.mediacorp.sg/contentdistr...hp?prog_id=698
    What are your thoughts about this drama? Personally, I find that the plot is not that great but sensible enough and meaningful (Mediacorp has been producing more crap than sensible drama). I like the moral story told for every wedding and every death. The conflict between the characters is quite catchy too.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

It's okay. But IMO Elvin seems to lack chemistry with Jeanette. When they are put together as a couple, it just feels really awkward.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    ... Personally, I find that the plot is not that great but sensible enough and meaningful... I like the moral story told for every wedding and every death. The conflict between the characters is quite catchy too.
    You pretty much summed up my thoughts about the show. I'd add that the show lacked focus because there were actually three separate storylines. However, each was interesting enough in its own right, so on the whole, the series was quite enjoyable.

Cast: Tay Ping Hui, Jeanette Aw, Elvin Ng, Jesseca Liu, Zhang Zhen Huan, Lin Mei Jiao, Hong Hui Fang, Chen Tian Wen, Yao Wen Long
    Interestingly, the cast list above included Chen Tian Wen and Yao Wen Long but omitted the likes of Tracy Tan, Richard Low and Joshua Ang.

Mediacorp has been producing more crap than sensible drama
    I think this is more a matter of personal taste. Among the recent shows, I liked Priceless Wonder 《游戏人生》, more so than New Beginnings 《红白囍事》 in fact. I thought The Best Things In Life 《五福到》 was passable. Happy Family 《过好年》 bored me, though, and was nowhere near as good as last year's Reunion Dinner 《团圆饭》. With You 《我在你左右》, which just started airing, looks interesting so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    It's okay. But IMO Elvin seems to lack chemistry with Jeanette. When they are put together as a couple, it just feels really awkward.
    I couldn't perceive it myself, but maybe this has something to do with their on-screen couplings seldom ending well.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
    Interestingly, the cast list above included Chen Tian Wen and Yao Wen Long but omitted the likes of Tracy Tan, Richard Low and Joshua Ang.
    Yes, those 3 characters have spent more time on screen.

I think this is more a matter of personal taste. Among the recent shows, I liked Priceless Wonder 《游戏人生》, more so than New Beginnings 《红白囍事》 in fact. I thought The Best Things In Life 《五福到》 was passable. Happy Family 《过好年》 bored me, though, and was nowhere near as good as last year's Reunion Dinner 《团圆饭》. With You 《我在你左右》, which just started airing, looks interesting so far.
    Perhaps. It's hard to enjoy dramas which are lack of depth is all I'd say.

Don't you find they have too much of those dramas like 《五福到》? The localized style of drama are really a repeat of what you've watched before. There aren't many changes in the story except for a slight twist in the characters. Some characters are even exaggerating.

But with the above, I don't mean that The Ultimatum is great either. I just haven't found a word to pinpoint it. Nice character cast, nice mysterfied intro of characters, nice sneak preview yet disappointing for some unexplainable reasons.

I couldn't perceive it myself, but maybe this has something to do with their on-screen couplings seldom ending well.
    Ok, what about I say, both are unnatural in acting and Elvin can't really express his characters well enough?

I'd conclude that this New Beginning is a refreshing and nice production with some depth. I really like Jesseca Liu in there.

ZZH has shown us that he is an relatively new actor with potential. Having said that, in NB, he didn't convince the audience that he is enchanted by Shihui and is ready to settle down for her. His character still look flirtatious.
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 05-14-10 at 02:21 AM.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

It's hard to enjoy dramas which are lack of depth is all I'd say.
    But that leads to my point. You have trouble enjoying dramas that lack depth. There are others who have trouble enjoying dramas that are deep. A lot of the Mediacorp shows are no doubt meant to cater to the latter, so it's probably fairer to judge them based on whether they satisfy their target audience. Anyway, to me, even shows like The Best Things In Life 《五福到》 have some redeeming features, e.g. humour, although that again is subjective.

Ok, what about I say, both are unnatural in acting and Elvin can't really express his characters well enough?
    The chemistry remark was actually made by Guo Xiang. I had presumed that she meant that they lacked chemistry with each other but had better chemistry with others. Maybe you're right that acting plays a part, but I couldn't perceive them acting worse with each other than with other partners.

I really like Jesseca Liu in there.
    I've always thought Jesseca Liu had potential. Too bad she's leaving Mediacorp.

ZZH has shown us that he is an relatively new actor with potential. Having said that, in NB, he didn't convince the audience that he is enchanted by Shihui and is ready to settle down for her. His character still look flirtatious.
    To me, this was Zhang Zhen Huan's best performance in a drama so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
    But that leads to my point. You have trouble enjoying dramas that lack depth. There are others who have trouble enjoying dramas that are deep. A lot of the Mediacorp shows are no doubt meant to cater to the latter, so it's probably fairer to judge them based on whether they satisfy their target audience. Anyway, to me, even shows like The Best Things In Life 《五福到》 have some redeeming features, e.g. humour, although that again is subjective.
    Depth could refer to the depth of the story. But the depth I meant is their dialogue. I don't enjoy their singlish style of dialogue.

Even 《五福到》feels like an altered copy of Christopher Lee's "You Fu". Although, "You Fu" is an extract of "Forrest Grump".

The chemistry remark was actually made by Guo Xiang. I had presumed that she meant that they lacked chemistry with each other but had better chemistry with others. Maybe you're right that acting plays a part, but I couldn't perceive them acting worse with each other than with other partners.
    No, I don't mean their chemistry with each other. Individually, Elvin and Jeanette can't really perform in their roles. Although Elvin is worse. Jesseca and Ping Hui don't have that kind of chemistry too but they both know how to express their roles to make it work.

I've always thought Jesseca Liu had potential. Too bad she's leaving Mediacorp.
    Yeah. I guess it's the pay. Most left because of that. Hey, Jesseca is not bad as a singer too!

Well, this is in Facebook so I hope you can watch it. You should be able to if you're signed in.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video....1032581&ref=mf - Theme of NB.

To me, this was Zhang Zhen Huan's best performance in a drama so far.
    I can't comment 'cos I haven't paid attention to his other performances.
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 05-14-10 at 05:56 AM.

No, I don't mean their chemistry with each other. Individually, Elvin and Jeanette can't really perform in their roles.
    That's why they didn't go very well... They were really stiff and fake, so there were minimum sparks and chemistry. That is very bad, since their characters were supposed to be a couple.

That's why they didn't go very well... They were really stiff and fake, so there were minimum sparks and chemistry. That is very bad, since their characters were supposed to be a couple.
    I would separate chemistry and their individual acting. They're separate entity. Chemistry is more like, the feel given to audience before the performance take place. It's like two non-performers also can have chemistry if they really do.

So, I would say, first - they don't have chemistry. second - they cannot carry their roles. Even Tracy and ZZH both doesn't have chemistry, IMO, but they can act satisfactorily well.
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 05-15-10 at 12:02 PM.

I actually would like to catch this, and I don't normally watch Mediacorp's series since they mainly do modern ones. I almost exclusively watch the ancients only. My parents on the other hand, both the mom and dad, love them. Right now, CTN of Cambodia is reshowing "Love Blossoms" that super long series....the parents never miss it. LoL

The mom in particular loves Tay Ping Hui, Priscelia Chan, Zoe Tay, Felicia Chin, and Yvonne Lim. NOTE that TPH is the only male haha! She also likes Jeannette Aw after catching The Little Nyonya...she likes the kind of long suffering types in heart wrenching family dramas. I tried not to go to bathroom whenever she had it on.

I think New Beginnings might be neat from the cultural aspects of wedding and funerals, so I will wait for it to come out in Khmer.
    I like me.

Quote Originally Posted by ByTmE View Post
    I actually would like to catch this, and I don't normally watch Mediacorp's series since they mainly do modern ones. I almost exclusively watch the ancients only. My parents on the other hand, both the mom and dad, love them. Right now, CTN of Cambodia is reshowing "Love Blossoms" that super long series....the parents never miss it. LoL

The mom in particular loves Tay Ping Hui, Priscelia Chan, Zoe Tay, Felicia Chin, and Yvonne Lim. NOTE that TPH is the only male haha! She also likes Jeannette Aw after catching The Little Nyonya...she likes the kind of long suffering types in heart wrenching family dramas. I tried not to go to bathroom whenever she had it on.

I think New Beginnings might be neat from the cultural aspects of wedding and funerals, so I will wait for it to come out in Khmer.
    No wonder you know Tay Ping Hui.

I love Zoe and Yvonne too. Any idea what Her Majesty thinks and feels about Fann Wong?

No wonder you know Tay Ping Hui.

I love Zoe and Yvonne too. Any idea what Her Majesty thinks and feels about Fann Wong?
    LoL The Queen of My Heart likes Fann Wong enough. In her opinion, Fann Wong is a solid actress but not much to look at. Fann Wong has a beautiful complexion, but it's pasty white..and...seems like a strong wind might blow her away.

TPH has got that smart/clean and possibly sneaky [iunno] look she likes ie Vincent Jiao, Raymond Lam, Adam Chen, Huang Xiao Ming and Yan Kuan.

OhMyGawd...the mom will watch anything with Vincent Jiao in it; same with Priscelia or Yvonne. <---I like her too. She LOVED Bao Lian Deng..it had both VJ and YL haha.
    I like me.

Hey ByTme, you might want to check out this link: http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php...7267883&ref=ts

It's a group in FB. They have links episodes of New Beginnings. Just post and ask for an episode, and you might be able to watch it. good luck!

Hey ByTme, you might want to check out this link: http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php...7267883&ref=ts

It's a group in FB. They have links episodes of New Beginnings. Just post and ask for an episode, and you might be able to watch it. good luck!
    OH! THANK YOU!
    I like me.