Thread: 11 Things Guys Don’t Understand About Women

Default 11 Things Guys Don’t Understand About Women

http://www.glamour.com/sex-love-life...ynd_ypersonals

Pretty funny. What do you girls think? Are you like this? Can you explain why?

1. “Why, oh, why, can’t you create a single, central location for your hair ties and bobby pins?!? And why is there one on the handle of the microwave?” —Chris, 26

2. “Why are women so afraid of bugs but can regularly pour hot wax on their bodies and rip hair out by its roots?” —Justin, 22

3. “Girls and drama! My God, it’s like an episode of Dawson’s Creek! He said, she said…it goes on and on for years. Do you ever get over an argument?” —James, 28

4. “I am confused enough about why the onslaught of hormones every month, like clockwork, still takes me by surprise (the next day when she gets her period, I’m like, Oh! We got into a fight because she was hormonal!), but why does that fact take her by surprise? Shouldn’t she kind of realize it and be like, ‘Don’t listen to me—I’m hormonal’?” —Married Jake

5. “I don’t get why getting married so soon is so important to most women. Is love not enough?” —Brian, 24

6. “Why all the shoes? Really, my sister has suitcases full of shoes that I’ve thrown aside more often than she’s even seen them. It boggles the mind!” —Mark, 25

7. “I don’t understand their attitudes! Everything is good for, like, the first three months, but after that, it’s a whole different ball game!” —Danny, 32

8. “I don’t get why girls say one thing and mean something different. Like when they say, ‘You can watch the game,’ and then when you do, you get in trouble.” —Keith, 27

9. “What I don’t understand is why girls really, really, really want that nice guy, but once they find one, they can’t date him because now they need a jerk.” —Rob, 26

10. “Why do girls not like other girls when they first meet them? It’s as if they have to prove themselves to each other before they’ll consider them acceptable to hang out with.” —Aaron, 25

11. “I don’t understand why women can’t just speak more directly. They always want you to do something, but they don’t put it in words. Instead, they talk around the issue. I wish they were more up front and just said it!” —Justin, 26
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    1. “Why, oh, why, can’t you create a single, central location for your hair ties and bobby pins?!? And why is there one on the handle of the microwave?” —Chris, 26
    lol, my cousin is guilty of this. Her bf and I have a joke about how someone can tell if she's been in a room because there will be bobby pins randomly dropped all over the place. He calls them "Linh droppings" (her name is Linh"). It's like an exterminator determining whether a mouse has been around because he can sight its droppings.

Some of these questions are dumb, though.

2. “Why are women so afraid of bugs but can regularly pour hot wax on their bodies and rip hair out by its roots?” —Justin, 22
    Fear of bugs and fear of pain are completely unrelated.

5. “I don’t get why getting married so soon is so important to most women. Is love not enough?” —Brian, 24
    Because our biological clocks are ticking. After 30, many health risks/birth defects are attached to pregnancy, which is why a lot of women (myself excluded) opt to marry and have (legitimate) children earlier on. I thought this was common knowledge?

9. “What I don’t understand is why girls really, really, really want that nice guy, but once they find one, they can’t date him because now they need a jerk.” —Rob, 26
    I've never heard a girl say she "needs to date a jerk" before. Most girls want to date a guy who's generally nice, but has a streak of badness or a "backbone".

Quote Originally Posted by skylee View Post
    Because our biological clocks are ticking. After 30, many health risks/birth defects are attached to pregnancy, which is why a lot of women (myself excluded) opt to marry and have (legitimate) children earlier on. I thought this was common knowledge?
    I agree with you on this. I think it's a completely dumb question. I would counter that with this question: "Do you guys want to be told that you look more like a grandpa to your child, rather than a father, when you bring your child to school??"

The truth is, we don't look 25 forever.

I've never heard a girl say she "needs to date a jerk" before. Most girls want to date a guy who's generally nice, but has a streak of badness or a "backbone".
    I think the "jerk" briefly mean it that way. The type of guy for example will be Robert Downey Jr.

8. “I don’t get why girls say one thing and mean something different. Like when they say, ‘You can watch the game,’ and then when you do, you get in trouble.” —Keith, 27
    This guy is not intelligent enough to read her sarcastic tone despite that obedience! But that does not mean that I'm supportive of Her behaviour.

“Why all the shoes? Really, my sister has suitcases full of shoes that I’ve thrown aside more often than she’s even seen them. It boggles the mind!” —Mark, 25
    This is not difficult to figure out either. Girls love to dress up for different occasions and they need the shoes to go with it (colour and to fit the dress).

Let's just say that the guys and girl all have their collection of something.

P/s: Shoes can stink, so I only have enough pairs but don't stock them up.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Heh. Mags like Glamor and Cosmo should be taken with a grain of salt.

This man lives with a slob.

Guilty. Point to consider, Justin, would you like us if we had hairy arms, pits, and legs reminiscent of said nasty disgusting bags? Let us not forget the fem-stache, a fuzzy caterpillar over your lady's lips.

3. “Girls and drama! My God, it’s like an episode of Dawson’s Creek! He said, she said…it goes on and on for years. Do you ever get over an argument?” —James, 28
    I'm sorry James that you keep such poor feminine company. We are not all like this, but sometimes a girl's got to b!tch and it's nice to know you're not the shoulder to cry on.

4. “I am confused enough about why the onslaught of hormones every month, like clockwork, still takes me by surprise (the next day when she gets her period, I’m like, Oh! We got into a fight because she was hormonal!), but why does that fact take her by surprise? Shouldn’t she kind of realize it and be like, ‘Don’t listen to me—I’m hormonal’?” —Married Jake
    See answer above. P.S. Men also PMS, it's a fact.

Generalizing blanket statement. 'Nuff said.

6. “Why all the shoes? Really, my sister has suitcases full of shoes that I’ve thrown aside more often than she’s even seen them. It boggles the mind!” —Mark, 25
    Guilty. I love shoes the way my brother loves gadgets...and women who know how to pair an outfit w/the appropriate pair of footwear.

7. “I don’t understand their attitudes! Everything is good for, like, the first three months, but after that, it’s a whole different ball game!” —Danny, 32
    WTF? Is Danny buddies with James and married Jake? And what's good for the first three months? This question must be elaborated for clarity.

It is clear to me now; Danny, James, Jake and Keith are all friends and have the same circle of female friends... Again, generalizing blanket statement. I swear who are all of the ball busters these men keep meeting?

I cannot comment, for I am not she. I like the chubby nice guy with the sharp wit and impressive array of intelligent cool friends because he's also such a man. Note: A man should be a gentleman, but he should not be a pushover, lest he should cease to be a real man.

10. “Why do girls not like other girls when they first meet them? It’s as if they have to prove themselves to each other before they’ll consider them acceptable to hang out with.” —Aaron, 25
    I thought this behavior was best exhibited in males of our species. Fortunately, I have never had the opportunity to be the victim of said behavior from either sex. God, what's up with all the hater females in these men's lives? With all the negative statements of females, it makes one think that Glamor is a mens magazine [so they can agree with one another] rather than womens.

11. “I don’t understand why women can’t just speak more directly. They always want you to do something, but they don’t put it in words. Instead, they talk around the issue. I wish they were more up front and just said it!” —Justin, 26
    See answer above. Most men frustrate me with their overwhelming fear of embarrassment. They always beat around the bush instead of being upfront. In all honesty, this is a human character trait that's not sex dependent in order to possess.

-

This article gets : : : / out of four. Not unanimously "thumbs downed" because it was fun to smack down.
    I like me.

Quote Originally Posted by ByTmE View Post
    Heh. Mags like Glamor and Cosmo should be taken with a grain of salt.

This man lives with a slob.

Guilty. Point to consider, Justin, would you like us if we had hairy arms, pits, and legs reminiscent of said nasty disgusting bags? Let us not forget the fem-stache, a fuzzy caterpillar over your lady's lips.

I'm sorry James that you keep such poor feminine company. We are not all like this, but sometimes a girl's got to b!tch and it's nice to know you're not the shoulder to cry on.

See answer above. P.S. Men also PMS, it's a fact.

Generalizing blanket statement. 'Nuff said.

Guilty. I love shoes the way my brother loves gadgets...and women who know how to pair an outfit w/the appropriate pair of footwear.

WTF? Is Danny buddies with James and married Jake? And what's good for the first three months? This question must be elaborated for clarity.

It is clear to me now; Danny, James, Jake and Keith are all friends and have the same circle of female friends... Again, generalizing blanket statement. I swear who are all of the ball busters these men keep meeting?

I cannot comment, for I am not she. I like the chubby nice guy with the sharp wit and impressive array of intelligent cool friends because he's also such a man. Note: A man should be a gentleman, but he should not be a pushover, lest he should cease to be a real man.

I thought this behavior was best exhibited in males of our species. Fortunately, I have never had the opportunity to be the victim of said behavior from either sex. God, what's up with all the hater females in these men's lives? With all the negative statements of females, it makes one think that Glamor is a mens magazine [so they can agree with one another] rather than womens.

See answer above. Most men frustrate me with their overwhelming fear of embarrassment. They always beat around the bush instead of being upfront. In all honesty, this is a human character trait that's not sex dependent in order to possess.

-

This article gets : : : / out of four. Not unanimously "thumbs downed" because it was fun to smack down.
    Those are very intelligent response! And, very funny no less!
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

[ARGH!!!!!!]

I know you can't explain about phobia. When one have phobia about something, the fear in unexplainable and uncontrollable. The person can't help it. I just wonder why girls has more tendency to be afraid of bugs than guys.

This guy has commitment phobia. I agree that it's a dumb question. But then, he's only 24. He hasn't thought about issues like kids and building a family yet. He certainly didn't think of the biological clock issue.
    I would like to see if his girl withhold sex from him and says 'Is love not enough?' what would be his response.

So far, I have not experienced this or maybe I just blur. Haha. Maybe the girls he knew are all drop dead gorgeous, so, feel threaten by each other's gorgeousness.
    Last edited by kidd; 05-14-10 at 10:15 PM.

Haha that's so true about the commitment phobia and withholding sex
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

I just wonder why girls has more tendency to be afraid of bugs than guys.
    Gender roles.

Anecdotal evidence seems to show that as children, males and females are equally afraid of bugs, worms, lizards and a variety of household creepy-crawlies. Happens every time I do the "bug" test in the classroom (i.e. show a hand-held live bug of any sort).

But when they grow up, males tend to be braver when met with bugs, etc, while females react in all sorts of ways, from quiet avoidance to hysterical screaming!
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

Quote Originally Posted by HuangYushi View Post
    Gender roles.

Anecdotal evidence seems to show that as children, males and females are equally afraid of bugs, worms, lizards and a variety of household creepy-crawlies. Happens every time I do the "bug" test in the classroom (i.e. show a hand-held live bug of any sort).

But when they grow up, males tend to be braver when met with bugs, etc, while females react in all sorts of ways, from quiet avoidance to hysterical screaming!
    So, the hysterical screaming is just trained reaction?

Instead of being taught to face the bugs bravely, girls are encouraged to be afraid of them because girls are supposed to fear bugs (gender roles)?

Do guys find girls who fear bugs more appealing?

So, the hysterical screaming is just trained reaction?

Instead of being taught to face the bugs bravely, girls are encouraged to be afraid of them because girls are supposed to fear bugs (gender roles)?

No, sometimes it's just plain annoying. But it does give us a moment to show bravado.

No, that's a gender stereotype, i.e. "girls are encouraged to be afraid ... supposed to fear..."

Gender roles are more like how males and females interact quite naturally with one another and their environment.

Let's look back in time to our childhood and those of our friends. When we were little kids, how many of us had parents who used cockroaches, lizards, spiders and other household (and sometimes, garden) pests/bugs to keep our curiosity and mischief in check? As in: "Don't open the cabinet, the cockroaches will come out!" and "Don't go into the storeroom, there are spiders in there!"

So both boys and girls develop some fear of creepy-crawlies.

Then, at some point, the boys will be inevitably told this: "What is there to be afraid of? You're big boys! It's a just a tiny spider! Stomp on it!"

Girls will realise this too, at some point, especially when the environment or circumstances require them to face the bug alone, so the types of bugs that they fear will reduce, until they are perhaps only afraid of one or two specific bugs only, or even none at all.

That's why a lot of my students (both boys and girls) tell me they are afraid of cockroaches, but that their mothers are not.

Did the above mirror your or anyone else's experience with bugs?

Quote Originally Posted by Banh Mi View Post
    No, sometimes it's just plain annoying. But it does give us a moment to show bravado.
    See, gender role in action!
    Soon ... SOON!

Here's something related to the topic of men understanding and not understanding women:

1. From Discovery News: Grown Men Swap Bodies with Virtual Girl.
    http://news.discovery.com/human/virt...awareness.html

2. The actual research paper from PLos ONE: First Person Experience of Body Transfer in Virtual Reality
    http://www.plosone.org/article/info%...l.pone.0010564
    Soon ... SOON!

Thanks HYS.

I've seen a book in Border where a journalist woman disguised as a man for a year to experience what's it's like to be a man. I didn't buy the book so, I don't know the full content, but, according to the back synopsis, she experienced some bad prejudice against men.

Update: Found the book. http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Sel.../9780143038702
    Last edited by kidd; 05-15-10 at 12:21 AM.

This guy doesn't know what he is talking about.

Hey, I remember catching cockroaches for a GUY!! He was excited by the roachy and running around in the office.

Most bugs doesn't scare me, and if they do, tat's because they have toxins somewhere.

http://www.glamour.com/sex-love-life...ynd_ypersonals

Pretty funny. What do you girls think? Are you like this? Can you explain why?

Well, I have a container for all the pins and hairbands. Actually, an elaborate chest, that has various compartments for various pins and hair accessories. I don't understand the association with microwave?

I'd never ever tried waxing; and I love bugs. They are a wonderful specimen that roamed the face of earth. Although my personal favorite are those of the reptilic family, I have a thing for scaly skin and fat legs (evident in crocodiles, lizards, and frogs) One of the insects i seriously dislike is butterflies, and moth. Moth because they are kinda sinister, and butterflies are master of deception. They were cute as caterpillars, but when they grew up, they turn ugly. God only knows why.

Although I am not fond of roaches by virtue that they always gnawed at my books and stuff, my colleagues had spread the rumor around that roaches are my favorite, and theres a kid who caught a roach and presented it to me and said, "there, here's your favorite". (I won't scream when i see roaches, not even when they make their way to my food ~ i wont eat it though)

I have enough girlfriends that do this - maybe its really a common female trait.

If any guy accuse me of being unreasonable, I will say, "You're dealing with a woman...you mean you don't know we get a bit edgy on certain days of the month? Get used to us!"

Well, if you say you love the woman but is most unwilling to marry her, then you obviously do not love her enough.

I have tons of shoes, but I wear the same pair everyday. I just buy the rest for collection - they look pretty, but I don't wanna wear them.

Have no idea what the fellow is getting at.

Men are not very bright sometimes. Even if some things are said directly, they still don't get it. I have met such dense men before... but all of them knew that women do not say things they truly meant, and will doubt you even if you tell them point blank. Silly males yea?

I don't like jerks...I preferred gentlemen.

I don't have problems with most ladies, except for lady bosses.

Maybe women hung out with other women too often, and forgot totally that men lack the sophisticated brain women possessed.
    o wilku mowa...♪

The only thing I need to know is that I don't know anything.

The kind of "males" that contribute to a chick mag like Glamour are gay and just don't know it yet.

On the topic, women are easy to understand. Men just choose not to, because you can't love women if you understand them.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by HuangYushi View Post
    Gender roles.

My (older) brother is the one who screams while I wait around for the bug to come out of hiding to get rid of it.

I have to admit that there are some very strange women out there. Then again, there are also equally strange men too, so it balances things out. Now how to find the normal ones....

It's not "gender roles". That's feminist brainwashing.

Rather, what happens to boys is that they go through puberty, get flushed with a bucketload of testosterone and become men (unless they listen to top 40 music, wear pink and eat soy products, in which case they turn into sissies like my housemate). They discover bravery thanks to the extra T and figure out how to deal with little bugs.

Girls grow bigger (hopefully in the right areas) and become women. Nothing changes other than that.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."