Thread: Your preference for contacting someone

Default Your preference for contacting someone

When you want to reach someone, and face-to-face is not an option, and assuming he/she can be reached by any of these ways, how would you do it? Do you use email, phone call, text msg, a social networking tool, fax, telegram, IM, snail mail, virtual world, or ____ ?

Currently, my preference is like this:

1. If the person is on Facebook, I'll send them a msg there.

2. If I can find the person's email within 5 seconds, I will email them (e.g. email system must have auto-complete as I type their name).

3. IM

4. Send them a text msg

5. Call them

6. If I couldn't find their email in 5 seconds, then as a last resort, I will try to dig up their email addy.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Carrier pigeon?

Hm. Ideally, I would prefer not to have to talk to anyone. TEXTING is the best option for me, but some people aren't so up for it.

I will call: The Mom, Daddy n other "old people," Employers/Clients

I will text: the brothers n friends [used most often]

I will "Facebook": acquaintances or ppl who are always on Facebook

I will e-mail: Professors [rarely though]

I actually very rarely talk on the phone since it annoys me, I don't know why. When I really want to talk to someone, I prefer it to be in person, so I can gauge body language or reactions. However, there are really few people in which I actually like to talk to in person. SKYPE is okay too, but I have just learned how to use it. I don't always prefer this though because I look terrible on camera.
    I like me.

Quote Originally Posted by ByTmE View Post
    Carrier pigeon?

oh yeah, I forgot to mention video conferencing/webcam.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Facebook, texting, and email. And if I didn't get a reply after sometime and I feel impatient enough, I will call up.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

depends on urgency. urgent - call, not so urgent - text. not very important - email.

i dont really leave messages on FB; considering i dont check myself, i cant expect others to do it often enough.
    o wilku mowa...♪

The only thing I need to know is that I don't know anything.

yes, the urgency issue and the needs of the other party is important. e.g. contacting mum is not urgent but since she does not have electronic means/ability, i have to call her by phone right?

nowadays, possibly as I get older (not sure about the oldies here), i prefer face-to-face communication if possible.
    Last edited by wkeej; 05-18-10 at 07:07 AM.

Appear behind their back while they're taking the bins out at night, deliver the succinct message with extreme masculine booming bass voice, then as they look up to the sky pondering the deep meaning of what you just said, disappear without a trace.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by ByTmE View Post
    I will call: The Mom, Daddy n other "old people," Employers/Clients
    I rarely call someone unless it's urgent and usually it is done quick. I used to enjoy calling friends and chatting up. Now, not anymore. Since sometime ago, I found myself doze off after talking to people over the phone for more than 30 mins.

I will text: the brothers n friends [used most often]
    Used to text alot. But now, my cellphone is used for urgent calls and my schedule/planner/alarm clock only.

I will "Facebook": acquaintances or ppl who are always on Facebook
    Used often, and to keep in touch with relatives (whom seldom meet), busy friends, overseas friends and long lost friends (primary/secondary/college)/secondary school teachers (to meet up).

I will e-mail: Professors [rarely though]
    School, volunteer groups folks and certain friends.

I actually very rarely talk on the phone since it annoys me, I don't know why. When I really want to talk to someone, I prefer it to be in person, so I can gauge body language or reactions. However, there are really few people in which I actually like to talk to in person. SKYPE is okay too, but I have just learned how to use it. I don't always prefer this though because I look terrible on camera.
    Ditto! I prefer to meet and talk to people because I can read their body language too! I have do webcam-conference once or twice with my distant friend whom we have been pen pal for a few years. Besides that, no. Not inspired to.

P/s: it takes alot to setup webcam.

Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    Appear behind their back while they're taking the bins out at night, deliver the succinct message with extreme masculine booming bass voice, then as they look up to the sky pondering the deep meaning of what you just said, disappear without a trace.
    Sounds like a ninja.... do you also wear black to camouflage in the night ....with a mask?

Having said that all, I used to have such a practice during schooling days - Writing short notes and leave them in my friend's locker (because we are attending different classes).... sometimes, we draw icons and pictures instead of writing them in words. We can decipher each others' drawings.

I did the same thing with a friend of mine at workplace in a temp job.
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 05-18-10 at 12:12 AM.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

depend on urgency.

I also rarely call somebody, especially to his/her HP. I also very not like the concept of me having a HP number. it is like anybody can interrupted you anytime they want. So I prefer call to their home number.

right now the most frequent way for me to contact is via email.