Thread: Ip Man -The Legend Is Born -Dennis To,Yuan Biao,Sammo Hung,Bernice Liu

Default Ip Man -The Legend Is Born -Dennis To,Yuan Biao,Sammo Hung,Bernice Liu

The Legend Is Born - Ip Man storms into KL

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.dailychilli.com/images/stories/2010/05/22_31/ip%20mun%20legend2.jpg')

By Noorsila Abd Majid

Nothing beats stargazing in Malaysia. Crammed inside the tiny Old Asia Restaurant in 1Utama Shopping Centre in Petaling Jaya, Malaysian kungfu enthusiasts finally got to rub shoulders with Great Grandmaster Ip Chun, the eldest son of legendary Wing Chun founder Ip Man.

Joining him on his Malaysian tour to promote The Legend Is Born - Ip Man are movie stars Yuan Biao, Dennis To, Rose Chan, Bernice Liu, Fan Siu Wong and Louis Cheung.

"This is my first and last movie," announced the 86-year-old Grandmaster Ip. "It's just too taxing for me."

For those who missed it, the legendary Ip Man was the sifu (kungfu master) of martial arts superstar, Bruce Lee.

Citing that the prequel stays true to his dad's early life, Gradmaster Ip added, "This movie is not just about Wing Chun as a good form of martial arts. It's also about love."
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.dailychilli.com/images/stories/2010/05/22_31/ip%20mun%20legend3.jpg')

Just like every normal guy, Ip Man had a healthy love life and the prequel offers an insight into his romantic relations. Following the death of Foshan Great Wing Chun kungfu master Chan Wah Shun (Sammo Hung), his most gifted student, Ip Man (Dennis To) continues to hone his Wing Chun martial arts skills under the tutelage of his super senior, Ng Chun Sui (Yuan Biao).

It's while training under Ng that Ip Man befriends his si mui (junior), Li Mei Wai (Rose Chan), who is secretly in love with him.

Ip Man then leaves Foshan (in Guangzhou province) for Hong Kong to further his studies. There, he meets his third Wing Chun guru, Leung Pik (Ip Chun), who helps him improvise his fighting techniques.

Upon graduation, Ip Man returns to Foshan, falls in love with Cheung Wing Shing (Crystal Huang), who is the eldest daughter of the deputy mayor and marries her despite her dad's objections.

"Having said what I've said, I actually had a lot of fun doing this movie," said Grandmaster Yip. "It's a very meaningful film for me."

As for Yuan Biao, the Wing Chun exponent thinks his young co-stars are just too polite to him. "They did not dare hit me hard during our fighting scenes because they said I'm the sifu (master). But I tell them they shouldn't be afraid to hit me because we have to make the movie look realistic."

Well, the only girl that was not afraid of kungfu fighting was Bernice Liu. The pretty actress hit her stunt double so hard that she landed in hospital! "I felt so guilty about causing her quite a major injury," Bernice said. "But master Yuan Biao said I shouldn't be because it shows that I take my work seriously."

The Legend Is Born - Ip Man opens in Malaysia on June 24. The movie is distributed by GSC.

The Link
    http://www.dailychilli.com/happening...storms-into-kl

I watch the movie yesterday. Storyline pretty good except the ending big reveal which is not very logical.
    click to show/hide spoilers
    I guess the Japanese army's idea was they put a lot of army trained Japanese boys in China and hope that one will make it to the top. If that's the case, kinda pity Tin Chi. His life can just go to waste without accomplishing any missing before be can reach adulthood.
    But, overall, I like it. I don't know whether the main lead's voice was dubbed. He speak in a very old style way, like those actors in old shaw brothers movie. But, I still like him. He has his own charisma, different from Donnie Yen.

The fight scenes are not as showy as the Ip Man 1 and 2, but, still good. Highlight for me is Ip Man fight with Leung Bik played by Ip Chun. Haha, youngster fighting with a 80+ year old man. This old man still can fight.

Trivia: Dennis To also acted in Ip Man and Ip Man 2. In Ip Man, he has a kelefe role, in Ip Man 2, he played Sammo Hung's student who is always against Huang Xiao Ming's character. Haha, funny that a Wing Chun expert played a Hung Fist student fighting against a Wing Chun student.

He most probably taught Huang Xiao Ming the correct wing Chun moves while they were sparring for that scene.

Admittedly, I watch this movie for Bernice Liu. I want to see how Bernice Liu fight Wing Chun in the movie. But, she didn't do any Wing Chun because her character is a Japanese fighter who fights with a sword. I look forward very much to Bernice appearance while watching the movie, but, was disappointed. Bernice was out of place in the movie. She looks like a Eurasian and has english accent but played a Japanese fighter. She still has problem speaking her dialogue naturally and her acting is so-so. But, you can see that she really tried hard and put a lot of effort in her role.
    Last edited by kidd; 06-28-10 at 05:05 AM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by galvatron View Post
    Upon graduation, Ip Man returns to Foshan, falls in love with Cheung Wing Shing (Crystal Huang), who is the eldest daughter of the deputy mayor and marries her despite her dad's objections.
    Having watched Ip Man 1 and 2, I will say that she is a very good wife indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    Having watched Ip Man 1 and 2, I will say that she is a very good wife indeed.
    She's not only a good wife, she's also heroic in this prequel.

Actually, there's not much objection from her dad. He objected earlier, but after Ip Man proved that he's also a learned man beside being a kungfu expert, his view of him has become much more favourable.
    Last edited by kidd; 06-28-10 at 04:50 AM.

I guess Ip Chun really wants to portray his dad as a big hero. A big deviation from the real story, but makes great cinema. I'm getting a bit tired of the saga now especially Tony Leung's version coming out, But I'm come along for the ride when it hits Australia.

I'll watch it for Yuen Biao and really want to see Ip Chun do Wing Chun. Haven't seen Yuen Biao and Sammo together for ages.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    I guess Ip Chun really wants to portray his dad as a big hero. A big deviation from the real story, but makes great cinema.
    Do you mean Ip Man 1 & 2 or the Ip Man prequel?

I don't think the script was written by Ip Chun or the story was construct by Ip Chun. But, he did say that Ip Man 2's story was not true.

At least, this part did happen in the prequal
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yip_Man#Biography
    When Yip Man was thirteen years old he started learning Wing Chun from Chan Wah-shun (陳華順). Because of his sifu's old age, Yip Man had to learn much of his skills and techniques from his master's second eldest disciple Ng Chung-sok (吳仲素). Three years into Yip Man’s training Chan Wah-shun died. One of his dying wishes was to have Ng continue training Yip.
    At the age of 15 Yip man moved to Hong Kong with help from Leung Fut Ting, a relative. At age sixteen, Yip Man attended school at St. Stephen's College in Hong Kong.[2] It was a secondary school for wealthy families and foreigners who lived in Hong Kong.
    Another thing which is accurate in the prequel is Leung Bik did improvise and make improvement on Wing Chun and Ip Man did learn from him.

Of course, the later Japanese part is again fabricated.
    Last edited by kidd; 06-29-10 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post

I don't think the script was written by Ip Chun or the story was construct by Ip Chun. But, he did say that Ip Man 2's story was not true.
    Ip Chun was a Wing Chun and historical consultant for the movie. Don't think he wanted his dad to go down in film history as an opium addict.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Although without Donnie Yen, it should be a good movie with Yuan Biao and Sammo, missed the movie when it was played in the cinema, will wait for the DVD to be released..
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://sensasian.com/images/products/V21940-D.jpg')

The Ip Man guy from this movie sort of looks like Donnie Yen at certain angles. Even Sherlock Holmes (Robert Downey Jr.) used Wing Chun. : ) I hope it'll come out in the red box where I live.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post

At least, this part did happen in the prequal
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yip_Man#Biography

Another thing which is accurate in the prequel is Leung Bik did improvise and make improvement on Wing Chun and Ip Man did learn from him.

Of course, the later Japanese part is again fabricated.
    Like so many other things about the history of Wing Chun it is difficult to determine what is myth and what is reality. The Leung Bik teaching Ip Man story is not universally accepted. There are those in the WC community who believe that the Leung Bik story was invented to explain Ip Man's improvement in the art (that was actually the result of his working with Yuen Kay San) and to promote Hong Kong WC. I have also seen it claimed that Leung Bik never learned WC from his father and/or he was already dead before the time Ip Man supposedly met him.
    Last edited by Wanlie Tong; 09-02-10 at 01:38 PM.