Page 44 of 84 FirstFirst ... 343536373839404142434445464748495051525354 ... LastLast

Thread: Strange Hero Yi Zhi Mei 《怪侠一枝梅》 - Wallace Huo, Liu Shi Shi, Ma Tianyu

Quote Originally Posted by Hoju! View Post
    I prefer the subtle love more, maybe because the melodramatic type has been done so many times in wuxia already. Of course, I wouldn't mind a confession of love from LGX, but I don't need the weepy love scenes. The love that is 尽在不言中 (within the moments without words) touches me more.
    Thanks for your detailed exposition on the LGX-SN relationship - it's very enlightening. I can see what you mean about their love being meaningful in a way that is "尽在不言中", but unfortunately GX/Wallace's chemistry with RY/Tong Liya obliterated what he has with SN/LSS. The "subtle love" would definitely have touched me even without any melodramatic love scenes IF NOT for that "spark" with RY/Tong Liya.

Sorry, compared to the pre-broadcast MV, I just didn't feel any spark between Wallace and LSS after watching the whole series bcos of Tong Liya. There wasn't any fair balance.
    Last edited by kengyew; 01-08-11 at 06:41 AM.

I think the 'love' was thrown in to spice things up a bit...male and female lead angsty, unspoken love romance always pulls the audience in. I'm not saying I'm an exception...Bones is doing my head in at times

GXYZM is more or less like Veronica Mars - overall plot stretched across different subplots. Overall plot more or less centered around RY (YWQ orchestrated revenge for her, Yan Jr blinded because of her i.e. became enemies with LGX, LGX flashing back to her 24/7). I think it always a mistake when the movement and aim of the plot focused on a person, rather than an action/event. Especially if SN as a 2nd romance is going to be thrown in for LGX. How can she possibly compete with RY who more or less is the pivotal point of the plot? The way I see it anyhow. This could be the reason why LGX-RY seemed to shine more...that and flashbacks were over the top. Less is more. Don't need to bludgeon the audience over the head with the fact that LGX adored his wife.

Because the script didn't balance the romance properly with the driving RY plot, and what was shared between LGX-RY, we see this 'lop-sided' effect, seeming to indeed, make SN a consolation prize.

So, even though I said LGX may love SN differently, I EAT MY WORDS. I don't think that's the case. The whole romance element was just handled poorly in the story telling.

In the Korean version of this series, the drive of the plot was event driven...seeking revenge for murder of family. It's not all about one person, it's about the tragedy of such an event. It may be cliche, but I think it sets better grounds for blending in other themes like romance, comradeship, humour, intrigue, etc.

Taking on a 1st love then 2nd love plot needs to be done with finesse, because of the real danger of 2nd being well, 2nd place. To see a great example of such a plot device, The Mystery of the Condor Hero (prequel story telling Huang Yao Shi story).

Then again, I am not totally bothered by this. Mainly because LSS as SN was so MEGA COOL. I think even if there was no romance - only exception being Zhang Zhong of course - the endearing characteristics of each character would've kept me watching. In the context of the plot, was it necessary for SN to love LGX? Totally not. I understand he helped her grow emotionally, but I couldn't see why everyone else couldn't help her instead.

I would've liked to see more of the gang help EACH OTHER grow...not only LGX being the all wise teaching everyone how to grow up. For example, Chai Hu believes he abandoned his 'woman' and child, yet ultimately, he is one of the steadfastly loyal of them all. He made a mistake and wants to be responsible for it...it would've been good for SN to 'heal' from this example. Serious, heart-to-heart chat between Chai Hu and SN on the themes of regret, responsibility, and abandonment would've been enlightening.

In love with SN's weapon...mean double-handed blade, convertible to staff (offense and defense). The way she holds her weapon is interesting. Makes me want to swing my Naginata around again.

Don't care if LGX was written to stick to RY...he can have her. I say, stay single SN! Much more fun.

Sequel...hmm, if they keep a good focus on martial arts, I'd watch. If they turned it into a LGX-SN fest with everything in thing in the background, I'd rather watch a Jane Austen, Charlotte Bronte remake.

Side: technically there was a Yang Warriors sequel: LOCH06. They even had clips from Yang Warriors while Yang Tie Xin teaching Yang Hong the spear. Although, if not Yang Women Warriors (woohoo, what a girls fest that would've been), Yang Zhong Bao and Mu Gui Ying story could've been taken up (traditionally 'Yang Warrior' sequel I think). I can see LSS playing the spunky, intelligent, uber talented MGY...she would've like that role. Zhang Zhong as Yang Zhong Bao.

LSS looks divine in her Tian Mu white dress and, and even in her prison clothing. I think the colour white really suits her. It seems to me that she gets increasingly beautiful in the later episode, but they film out of sequence, right? Maybe it's because I'm seeing her more, or maybe it was an intentional effort from the costume/make-up department.

SN-XM-CH in prison was really cute. I was never huge on the ZZ-SN support but you guys have infiltrated my mind! When Zhang Zhong appeared, I was totally looking out for whatever interaction he might have with San Niang.

I haven't finished the last episode yet. So I'll go watch that right now.

So, now that I've watched everything, I'm going to offer my opinion on the romance department. LGX/RY falls more along the lines of Xiao Long Nu/Yang Guo in ROCH (although not nearly as dramatic). It is a 轰轰烈烈 (love outwardly, like being shaken by thunder or burned by fire) type of love. It is dramatic and memorable because all of the things that happen. You know about the love because there are so many things that you can see. I think of "愛得死去活来."

As for LGX/SN, the love is treasured within the heart, 不用常掛在嘴邊 (doesn't need to be worn on the lips all the time). It suits the quieter, more mature LGX. And honestly, SN wouldn't be so cool if she was crying over love all the time, nor would LGX be the cool, calm LGX of 5 years later if he was dramatic about his love. The fact that he showed up to save SN and not the country says it all (and he still did it in his cool, level-headed way), that he cares deeply for SN, and she's not second place to RY -- just a different place. Their love is more subtle, in the stares, the day-to-day care. Sure, it's like BFF as well, but I'm the type that believes the one you love should be your BFF also.

I prefer the subtle love more, maybe because the melodramatic type has been done so many times in wuxia already. Of course, I wouldn't mind a confession of love from LGX, but I don't need the weepy love scenes. The love that is 尽在不言中 (within the moments without words) touches me more.

Now in terms of onscreen chemistry, I do admit Wallace and Tong Liya had more spark.
    I totally agree with everything you wrote.
    我是个疯子疯子疯子只爱你的疯子 你是个傻子傻子傻子傻的却好懂事
    要爱你一辈子 写爱你的故事 在我心里承诺了几千次

I've been watching the TV broadcast and peeping at the QQ leaks, but I must say I come here to check on the spoilers every now and then since ultimately English is my first language rather than Chinese

I know why some guys may prefer the Korean Ilijimae which (as NuDaFu says) was pure "event driven" - family murder and seeking revenge - and a pure wuxia play, with a very focused single-minded target. Iljimae's music also had that mystic wuxia feel that added to the vengeance and honour theme. But objectively speaking, I personally prefer Strange Hero which at 30 episodes (compared to Iljimae's 20 episodes) added more depth and flesh to the individual stories of the F4 and is more down-to-earth atmospheric-wise than Iljimae's elevated mystic feel. Of course, as a romantic, I liked it that the central revenge device had the romantic element - the love story and tragic death of a lover/wife. That GX and RY had amazing chemistry together is very important to the whole plot. The SN 2nd love thing should remain secondary NOT a main love story which will undermine the central plot device (i.e. GX-RY love story) that drives the whole series.

As NuDaFu says, I would much prefer SN to stay as she is, the fast-talking kick-a** cat burglar of the F4 rather than let any over-the-top romance (or worse, settled down happily married life?) to detract her from that role. E.g. why do you think Batman and Catwoman never get together? Much more interesting for a fiery romantic vibe to simmer beneath . Though I must add I didn't get anything at all with LGX & SN who were frankly much more like siblings to me.

If you all really want to see GX-SN becoming a convincing couple in a possible sequel, it would help to have a Yelu Xie-type villain attempting to seduce SN for that sexy Batman-Catwoman simmering romantic vibe which will heat up the competition with GX. Edwin's nice-looking but not hot enough to heat up GX (I mean RY chose GX without question - too easy a victory for GX in the love department). So my vote goes to the hottest actor in Chinese entertainment PETER HO to be GX's villainous contestant for SN in the sequel!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NuDaFu View Post
    Side: technically there was a Yang Warriors sequel: LOCH06. They even had clips from Yang Warriors while Yang Tie Xin teaching Yang Hong the spear. Although, if not Yang Women Warriors (woohoo, what a girls fest that would've been), Yang Zhong Bao and Mu Gui Ying story could've been taken up (traditionally 'Yang Warrior' sequel I think). I can see LSS playing the spunky, intelligent, uber talented MGY...she would've like that role. Zhang Zhong as Yang Zhong Bao.
    Now THAT would have been the best ever drama ever!! - LSS would be my ideal Mu Guiying and it would have been cool to see her fight alongside the widowed niangs - that will be SN X 10!!!! - my ideal "women" drama . I can totally see her being really passionate about a tough-talking female warrior like Mu Guiying taking on the Yelu generals (and may I add, being chased romantically by a sexy Yelu ). I never liked any of Yu Zheng's women dramas (unlike lots of people on this forum) so I felt really sorry for YH-LSS having to take on Tian Ya Zhi Nu (Tangren's feeble attempt to imitate an Yu Zheng drama) which they obviously weren't keen on looking at how dead they acted.
    Last edited by munianci; 01-10-11 at 12:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Heiress View Post
    SN-XM-CH in prison was really cute. I was never huge on the ZZ-SN support but you guys have infiltrated my mind! When Zhang Zhong appeared, I was totally looking out for whatever interaction he might have with San Niang.
    Aiyoh, ZZ and SN didn't have any interaction remotely close to any sort of affection. It's the active imagination of our ZZ fangirls here . But who knows what might happen in a possible sequel .

Okay, I just finished the last episode. I'm actually very satisfied with how it ended.

The final battle between LGX and YWQ was absolutely perfect. It was so epic, intense, and full of emotion. LGX's line, "It's because we were once the best of brothers", was the perfect pre-battle line. Wallace and Edwin's did some amazing acting there, and you could tell that the use of stuntsmen was limited. Imo, it's the best scene in the entire series.

I do like the way they handled LGX-SN. After watching the last episode, I think an actual kiss wouldn't have been necessary and and might have seemed a bit random. I agree with ChineseChik that when LGX dropped down on his knees, it was a huge gesture. His desperation to save SN was really touching. I also really liked the hug. It wasn't a close/tight hug, but there seemed to be a lot of understanding. I think their mutual understanding of the unsaid words is one of the most important things in their relationship in particular.

It didn't really seem to me that SN was a consolation prize to RY. RY will always hold a special place in his heart, but when he went to rescue SN, YWQ said "LGX, you actually came! Then why did you sacrifice RY for someone else 5 years ago?" He was still talking about how LGX betrayed RY when he went to pull the rope, but the immediate reaction and probably the first thing that flashed through LGX's mind was still to stop YWQ from killing SN.

It's the active imagination of our ZZ fangirls here. But who knows what might happen in a possible sequel .
    Maybe we should petition on Karen's weibo for that too, lol.
    Last edited by Dragon Heiress; 01-08-11 at 02:16 PM.
    我是个疯子疯子疯子只爱你的疯子 你是个傻子傻子傻子傻的却好懂事
    要爱你一辈子 写爱你的故事 在我心里承诺了几千次

So, now that I've watched everything, I'm going to offer my opinion on the romance department. LGX/RY falls more along the lines of Xiao Long Nu/Yang Guo in ROCH (although not nearly as dramatic). It is a 轰轰烈烈 (love outwardly, like being shaken by thunder or burned by fire) type of love. It is dramatic and memorable because all of the things that happen. You know about the love because there are so many things that you can see. I think of "愛得死去活来."

As for LGX/SN, the love is treasured within the heart, 不用常掛在嘴邊 (doesn't need to be worn on the lips all the time). It suits the quieter, more mature LGX. And honestly, SN wouldn't be so cool if she was crying over love all the time, nor would LGX be the cool, calm LGX of 5 years later if he was dramatic about his love. The fact that he showed up to save SN and not the country says it all (and he still did it in his cool, level-headed way), that he cares deeply for SN, and she's not second place to RY -- just a different place. Their love is more subtle, in the stares, the day-to-day care. Sure, it's like BFF as well, but I'm the type that believes the one you love should be your BFF also.

my thoughts exactly! thank you for putting them in a more eloquent way though

I think the 'love' was thrown in to spice things up a bit...male and female lead angsty, unspoken love romance always pulls the audience in. I'm not saying I'm an exception...Bones is doing my head in at times
    god, don't even mention bones... do you still watch that NuDaFu? lol

Quote Originally Posted by munianci View Post
    If you all really want to see GX-SN becoming a convincing couple in a possible sequel, it would help to have a Yelu Xie-type villain attempting to seduce SN for that sexy Batman-Catwoman simmering romantic vibe which will heat up the competition with GX. Edwin's nice-looking but not hot enough to heat up GX (I mean RY chose GX without question - too easy a victory for GX in the love department). So my vote goes to the hottest actor in Chinese entertainment PETER HO to be GX's villainous contestant for SN in the sequel!!!
    lol i like the idea, if there ever was to be a sequel, of a villain-y type character to chase after SN and make GX feel jealous/insecure. and of course, if it were peter ho that would just be icing on the cake - i always had a feeling that he would make a really hot villain (maybe cause of his role as 4 lang in young warriors before he reunited with his family)

Quote Originally Posted by ChineseChik525 View Post
    lol i like the idea, if there ever was to be a sequel, of a villain-y type character to chase after SN and make GX feel jealous/insecure. and of course, if it were peter ho that would just be icing on the cake - i always had a feeling that he would make a really hot villain (maybe cause of his role as 4 lang in young warriors before he reunited with his family)
    OMG, that will be an absolute dream right? Don't you looooovvee Peter's brooding look as Ou Chen which simmers with unbridled sexiness?? I sooooo want to see Peter paired with LSS but this time fighting/romancing her SN at the same time in a Strange Hero sequel. GX will positively squirm at the threat. Contrary to popular opinion here, I find tall hulking guy (Peter) with tiny girl (LSS) pretty sexy.
    (oops...I tend to gush too much about Peter everywhere *sigh*)
    Last edited by munianci; 01-08-11 at 03:04 PM.

I've been influenced by NuDaFu. I now keep wanting ZZ to steal a look of desire at SN.

Quote Originally Posted by munianci View Post
    OMG, that will be an absolute dream right? Don't you looooovvee Peter's brooding look as Ou Chen which simmers with unbridled sexiness?? I sooooo want to see Peter paired with LSS but this time fighting/romancing her SN at the same time in a Strange Hero sequel. GX will positively squirm at the threat. Contrary to popular opinion here, I find tall hulking guy (Peter) with tiny girl (LSS) pretty sexy.
    (oops...I tend to gush too much about Peter everywhere *sigh*)
    lol i see that you're a fan munianci
    but yeah, brooding peter = hot

but i was SO shocked when GX actually got down on his knees and beged wu qiu to let SN go! i was so surprised that my jaw literally dropped.
    he actually got down on his KNEES for her - that was like a major he-really-loves-her moment for me, anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Heiress View Post
    I agree with ChineseChik that when LGX dropped down on his knees, it was a huge gesture. His desperation to save SN was really touching.
    Is going down on your knees to save someone's life such a huge deal, even in those days? Man, if my sister was strung up like that with a zillion knives below her, I would grovel and eat pig's faeces to save her life! In fact, GX is very lucky WQ released SN with just a lame kneel. I would be very angry with GX if he was too prissy to dirty his knees to save even a stranger's life. And c'mon GX that's your sister, your little sister!!!

I think Guan Hong in Young Warriors did much more than GX to prevent her sibling's death. It's very normal to want your sibling alive.

LGX/RY falls more along the lines of Xiao Long Nu/Yang Guo in ROCH (although not nearly as dramatic).
    Huh? GX-RY is like YG & XLN? Don't think so. I thought GX-RY was a normal & healthy boyfriend-girlfriend turn husband-wife relationship. I didn't find them overly obsessed at all.

AWWWWW...C'mon guys. All bcos you are upset that GX-SN had no chemistry, you have to belittle GX-RY? You must admit that GX-SN had way more scenes than GX-RY, and for GX-SN still to feel like siblings...oh well.
    (You can see I'm a GX-RY supporter like Ceterumcenseo. )

Not to worry, I am very fond of LSS' looks and cool martial arts moves. Just giving my objective opinion on the GX-RY love story (so touching ). Too bad I watched LOCH before Strange Hero, or I would have had my spcnet name as yansanniang.
    Last edited by munianci; 01-10-11 at 12:12 AM.

Classic scene of 2011:

San Liang kicking the Emperor's butt...twice!!!

SN-XM-CH in prison was really cute.
    Mega cute. They were as giddy as school kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoju
    LGX/RY falls more along the lines of Xiao Long Nu/Yang Guo in ROCH (although not nearly as dramatic).
    Comparing apples to bananas? YG-XLN had relationship taboo, Love Flower poison, sexual assault, and 16 years separations between them. Their love wasn't "dramatic", it was their trials that were "dramatic". Considering XLN was not a chatterbox, I would actually describe their love as 尽在不言中.

ZN-SS LOVE

I was never huge on the ZZ-SN support but you guys have infiltrated my mind! When Zhang Zhong appeared, I was totally looking out for whatever interaction he might have with San Niang.

Aiyoh, ZZ and SN didn't have any interaction remotely close to any sort of affection. It's the active imagination of our ZZ fangirls here. But who knows what might happen in a possible sequel.

I've been influenced by NuDaFu. I now keep wanting ZZ to steal a look of desire at SN.
    We have a following people. ZZ-SN love IS happening out there, even if in an alternate universe . There's always fanfiction...more reliable than a sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by munianci
    Now THAT would have been the best ever drama ever!! - LSS would be my ideal Mu Guiying and it would have been cool to see her fight alongside the widowed niangs - that will be SN X 10!!!! - my ideal "women" drama.
    I wouldn't know who to like more: MGY or SN. While I adore SN coolness, weaponry, etc, I think MGY as a character more level-headed, intelligent, and less angsty. Then again, having emotional baggage like SN is interesting to follow, because there is potential for growth. In many ways, MGY is already set up to be more than perfect, except for going through the trials of love and war.

LOVE TRIANGLE revisited

Quote Originally Posted by Hoju
    SN wouldn't be so cool if she was crying over love all the time.
    Significant love doesn't mean SN needs to be demoted to this kind of behaviour. A love that is significant or of 愛得死去活来 kind doesn't necessitate neediness.

The fact that he showed up to save SN and not the country says it all.
    No it doesn't. Plainly because there wasn't that dilemma in the first place. I think production sort of shot themselves in the foot when they set up this wonderful 'test' to demonstrate LGX choses SN over the country, only to dilute the effect of the conflict, when we see that LGX works out all along that the invasion was nothing but YWQ's plan to frame Yan Song & son. Sure, it was still a gamble, but everything was still within LGX's predictions and strategy – even the decision to save SN (realizing also that HR was there too). At the end of the day, what could LGX really have done to stop the war? He may have marginal influence in the Ming court, but I don't think his charm, brains, nor martial arts could stop or convince a foreign enemy with an army. Between the army and SN, he can obviously change the outcome with SN and HR with greater chances than the war. The whole war thing was rather contrived IMO.

believes the one you love should be your BFF also
    I believe this also. However, 不用常掛在嘴邊 and 尽在不言中 has a 'non-communication' danger to me. It is a wonderful experience to communicate without the need for words, but only if two people are very clear where each other stands. SN understands LGX, yet she has been known to say “I'm not the worm in LGX's tummy” and “How should I know his plans, he doesn't share”. She had to get HR to 'dish out' on LGX feelings. The fact she had to do this shows me that LGX-SN are not on the same 'wavelength' as each other; a vital requirement for the bliss of communicating without words. Any insecurity in a relationship needs communication, not 不言.

There is a middle ground between “weepy” and “no word” love. Love is a continuous distribution, not a discrete event or value. One also has to be careful of the 'wordlessness' aspect characteristic in Chinese period dramas. I believe it is an affectation of a society and its traditions influenced by Confucianism. To be direct and frank is considered taboo, or vulgar at the very least. This can inadvertently raise 'wordlessness' to a desirable and fanciful state.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Heiress
    "LGX, you actually came! Then why did you sacrifice RY for someone else 5 years ago?"
    This is because YWQ assumes that LGX isn't 'in the know' about his fake invasion aka Yan Song framing. He believes LGX is in a dilemma, when he really wasn't. Difference being, there generally was a tragic choice between RY and another situation for LGX in the past.

He was still talking about how LGX betrayed RY when he went to pull the rope, but the immediate reaction and probably the first thing that flashed through LGX's mind was still to stop YWQ from killing SN.
    How do we know if that action is not because he just doesn't want to: (A) lose someone close (not necessarily romantic) so soon after losing his mentor, (B) doesn't want to make the same mistake in having another sacrifice themselves for him, and ( C) doing the right thing at that time? The poignant question is, if any other person was hanging from that contraption, would LGX do any less? (that is rhetorical by the way).

This leads to what muninci points out:

Is going down on your knees to save someone's life such a huge deal, even in those days? Man, if my sister was strung up like that with a zillion knives below her, I would grovel and eat pig's faeces to save her life! In fact, GX is very lucky WQ released SN with just a lame kneel. I would be very angry with GX if he was too prissy to dirty his knees to save even a stranger's life. And c'mon GX that's your sister, your little sister!!!
    Although I disagree that the kneeling was lame, and yes, I imagine there was an urgency in the situation to DO SOMETHING, once again, kneeling to save SN cannot be absolutely construed as only for her. Like munianci says, knowing that kneeling to save another is an expected act of altruism, and not necessarily dependent on who the object is. Unless of course you are Yan Jr exhibiting psychopathic behaviour. If Xiao Mei, Chai Hu, Han Rei, Chai Yan, heck, even one of the beggar children in his mentor's care, LGX being who he is would kneel and kow tow until he bled. That's the man he is. LGX understood that YMQ needed to gain superiority over him: you understand the enemy and give him what he wants to: (A) buy time, (B) re-organise your tatics. Basic negotiation tactics. Don't forget that LGX has a 'death wishy' history. He may not indulge in that maladaptive behaviour at this point, but if one has faced that road, I don't think kneeling to an enemy comes as that great a sacrifice.

Quote Originally Posted by ChineseChik525
    god, don't even mention bones... do you still watch that NuDaFu? lol

My devotion has reached near religious proportions . I identify with Bones in so many ways its almost morbid.

THE SEQUEL & SAN LIANG'S ROMANTIC ALTERNATIVE?

Side: I just realised LSS had been promoted. She started off as Si Liang in Yang Warriors, and now she's San Liang in Strange Hero.

Peter Ho? That could possibly work, as they were a sweet couple in Yang Warriors. I don't think he's "villany" enough. HXM seemed more "villany" to me in Summer Desire.

I think it would work more to bring in a competitor for SN's affections from a genuine relationship in the past. Building a cat fight (what's the male equivalent...dog fight?) and milking that jealousy just seems too obvious and cliche. I'd have SN serious consider 'someone' from the past in a platonic way at first, and build on realisations from there. Any resulting jealousy or conflict needs to be a natural by-product of that to have meaningful POW. I'm blabbering...I've already built the storyline in my head for a fanfic while having my daily walk today. Hope it will actually get on paper or the computer screen instead of floating around with my brain cells.

Realistically, the open ending and the un-resolved mystery of SN's father is good material for a sequel. "Who's SN's father" could be the driving mystery to the 2nd series.
    Last edited by NuDaFu; 01-09-11 at 09:38 AM.

My devotion has reached near religious proportions . I identify with Bones in so many ways its almost morbid.
    haha i wanted to punch the writers after the mid-season finale though

Peter Ho? That could possibly work, as they were a sweet couple in Yang Warriors. I don't think he's "villany" enough. HXM seemed more "villany" to me in Summer Desire.

I think it would work more to bring in a competitor for SN's affections from a genuine relationship in the past. Building a cat fight (what's the male equivalent...dog fight?) and milking that jealousy just seems too obvious and cliche. I'd have SN serious consider 'someone' from the past in a platonic way at first, and build on realisations from there. Any resulting jealousy or conflict needs to be a natural by-product of that to have meaningful POW. I'm blabbering...I've already built the storyline in my head for a fanfic while having my daily walk today. Hope it will actually get on paper or the computer screen instead of floating around with my brain cells.
    i think peter could be "villany" if he wanted to be. but yeah, HXM just looked really menacing in that series.
    however, i would love to read whatever kinda fanfic you'd want to write about Yi Zhi Mei

oh. so i was surfing around the yi zhi mei baidu tieba, and found these really pretty photoshop/wallpapers someone made of the cast, thought i'd share them:
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://hiphotos.baidu.com/%CE%AA%B0%AE%D0%C2%C9%FA/pic/item/f4dd9719b1925f4837fa4167.jpg')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://hiphotos.baidu.com/%CE%AA%B0%AE%D0%C2%C9%FA/pic/item/6ad2e8061d466d8279894762.jpg')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://hiphotos.baidu.com/%CE%AA%B0%AE%D0%C2%C9%FA/pic/item/163d8b4407160969cdfca36e.jpg')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://hiphotos.baidu.com/%CE%AA%B0%AE%D0%C2%C9%FA/pic/item/515612dc1d0df7968f102968.jpg')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://hiphotos.baidu.com/%CE%AA%B0%AE%D0%C2%C9%FA/pic/item/bccdab0bcc8aae5097ca6b6b.jpg')
    Last edited by ChineseChik525; 01-09-11 at 03:39 PM.

Thanks NuDaFu for your very in-depth analysis. You have immense influence on me - oh man, I keep thinking of ZZ & SN together now!!!

I don't know why...is it bcos I'm sadistic? But I found LSS/SN suspended from that contraption with the knives below her very very enticing! There's something about that whole contraption that I found really SEXY, STYLISH and ARTISTIC.

OK OK, maybe I've got a sadistic streak *sheepish*...but I have to agree with NuDaFu and munianci that it isn't good enough evidence of GX "love" for SN. Man, if my sister or anyone was in that situation, I'd do much more than just kneel to the enemy. I'm very surprise WQ was so kind.

BTW, where is Xiao Xiao? How come she removed Ep 29 & 30 (finale) from YouTube?!! Shenzhen and Fujian TV are showing Strange Hero now (2 episodes a night). Most likely they cut Strange Hero from 35 to 30 eps so as to finish the broadcast the week before Chinese New Year where everyone will be extremely busy with New Year preps.
    Last edited by xiaolong; 01-09-11 at 11:04 PM.

RY looks a bit like the actress who played a similar role in the Korean version of Strange Hero. She's really beautiful, in a classical Chinese ideal way. Not that I support LGX-RY couple.

I'm resigned to support no couples now.

Quote Originally Posted by ChineseChik525
    haha i wanted to punch the writers after the mid-season finale though
    I'm taking it all in stride. It was worth it, if not just to see Brennan's breakdown.

however, i would love to read whatever kinda fanfic you'd want to write about Yi Zhi Mei
    Let me bet ya there will be a ZZ-SN scene. I'm still trying to work out a grand mystery for SN's father. As I suggested for a sequel, I think that mystery should be the driving, overall plot. I figure if we don't get the sequel, I can satisfy my plot needs by writing it myself. I'm quite proud of SN's love interest...much more complicated and packed with history than ZZ.

One question: you know how ZZ picked up SN's mask, did he ever give it back? Was it ever accounted for?

Alright...alright, I'm here xiaolong..hehehe

I removed ep. 29 and 30 because they're not the clear version. I got excited when all the episodes were up(but not clear) so I posted those up on youtube first, and would remove them when the clearer versions come out... epi. 29 is up again but not 30.

NuDaFu and munianci, I agree with you guys about the LGX and SN's relationship. If I knew that their romance would be this bland, I'd rather have SN have a different love interest(like a villain) and not LGX at all. He can dwell for his be-loved wife and seek revenge (wonder why it took so long after her death for him to address the issues?) with the help of the other three if that's the whole plot of the series, IMO I would prefer a different plot.

I am not good in expressing my thoughts about the series like you guys...so I'll try...hehehe. For some reason, I find the group not as warm and the closeness seems to disappear in the later parts of the series. I realized the series get more serious, but I missed the humor and bonding amongst them from the earlier episodes. Also, it appears they got weaker. For example, Xiaomei's hand being cut by QW(he suddenly became stronger), and SN being captured by him at the last episode...just tooo easy, not to mention him letting her go just bcoz LGX went down on his knees, was hoping that scene would be more dramatic. Xiaolong, I liked that scene too. I thought SN was beautiful hanging up there in that atmosphere and environment..

One question: you know how ZZ picked up SN's mask, did he ever give it back? Was it ever accounted for?
    The moment he picked up that mask, my thoughts were like "yay!! go give the mask to her and fall for her!"...hehehe
    He gave the mask back, but handed to Xiaomei instead of SN..
    Last edited by Liu Xiao Xiao; 01-09-11 at 11:26 PM.

Comic credits

Omigard!!! THANKS!!! I sooo love the comics (as you can see I'm a Batman fan). I actually think that drawing of SN pressing her head against GX chest in the comic sequence is much more romantic than the "real life" interaction .
    Last edited by munianci; 01-10-11 at 12:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Liu Xiao Xiao View Post
    I am not good in expressing my thoughts about the series like you guys...so I'll try...hehehe. For some reason, I find the group not as warm and the closeness seems to disappear in the later parts of the series. I realized the series get more serious, but I missed the humor and bonding amongst them from the earlier episodes. Also, it appears they got weaker. For example, Xiaomei's hand being cut by QW(he suddenly became stronger), and SN being captured by him at the last episode...just tooo easy, not to mention him letting her go just bcoz LGX went down on his knees, was hoping that scene would be more dramatic. Xiaolong, I liked that scene too. I thought SN was beautiful hanging up there in that atmosphere and environment..
    I think you express yourself just fine .

Great points you bring up Liu Xiao Xiao. The only point where I felt the 'buddy feel' was when SN, CH, XM met up in the prision. I think Xiao Mei can be excused...when being caught, they really played up his lack of courage (ha...Lion from Wizard of Oz). I assumed he was so frozen with fear of actually being caught that he got sloppy with his reactions i.e letting YWQ overcome him.

I also thought SN capture was way too easy. Also noted that she fainted a split second too early after the chop.

IMO, it seemed that YWQ suddenly became uber capable. I get he was brewing a conspiracy to get back at Yan Song and LGX, but his sudden hike in martial arts didn't seem consistent with his abilities prior to last story arc. His fight with the mentor was MAD! Great choreography. That counterattack with his reverse strike into the mentor with the hilt of his sword was so smooth.

Interesting that both SN and her mother pretended to be the 'Fairy Godmother'. Where does LGX get these ideas? Although, I think SN's mother was such a crucial player. SN's mother would be the 'general' in Chinese chess. Most importantly, her martial arts could save them if any part of the plan flipped...all bases covered. Great for LGX to have friends in such 'high' places. I looked like SN was so cocky at the execution...mommy's here!

It was so funny when SN was giving her mother gifts. "These aren't stolen are they?". Her mother's look...PRICELESS. I like that SN says she bought them with her own money...ahem, by selling stolen goods? Hilarious!

The moment he picked up that mask, my thoughts were like "yay!! go give the mask to her and fall for her!"...hehehe
    He gave the mask back, but handed to Xiaomei instead of SN..
    Grrrrr....give it to the OWNER! They obviously didn't teach him boy-girl etiquette in that all boys school of his (co-ed didn't exist until after the fall of imperial China).

I choose to read into this. Ok, giving a little mask back is kinda redundant. It's even overly polite, for who he is anyway. As if the gang wouldn't have the money to buy another one. Fishy no? Or, ZZ is just adorably geeky.
    Last edited by NuDaFu; 01-10-11 at 12:04 AM.