Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: Wu Lin Wai Shi

EDIT**:It seems I cannot delete my post
    Last edited by Bludflag; 12-20-14 at 06:01 PM.

Hello,
    I read the book "Wu Lin Wai Shi" but I didn't understand the end. At the end, who does Shen Lang love? Does he love Zhu Qi Qi? Or Bai Fei Fei? Or both (Qi Qi and Fei Fei)? And who does he love the most? Can somebody please explain it to me? Thank you very much for your time.
    Last edited by Anna789; 12-22-14 at 12:51 AM.

This project was started 13 years ago, one of the earliest projects begun on this forum. The last update was 6 years ago and it's not even halfway finished. This is too bad because Wulin Waishi is one of Gu Long's seminal works, it was the beginning of his "new style". As Hoju left it we're about 70-75% through chapter 15.

In an effort to try to revitalize this translation forum (as there is only Foxs right now diligently translating) and get it more active, I am going to resume this project. Give me a day or two and I will have the rest of chapter 15 up, then we can continue from there. There are 44 chapters total.

Anyone interested in reading the rest of this novel, please make your voices heard in this thread. Your comments will drive its progress. Wulin Waishi deserves to be finished.

Thanks whiteskwirl. I've always hoped that someone would finish up Wulin Waishi, as it is also the "prequel" to the Flying Dagger novels and Shen Lang is always such a cool character.

Looking forward to your translation!

Chapter 15 continued...

Above was a small room containing a table with wine and food set out on it, but the people who were eating and drinking it were already lying on the bottom of the dungeon floor.

Zhu Qiqi couldn’t contain her delight, “Shen Lang, you are really……”

Shen lang said, “Quiet, we’re not out or danger yet!”

Zhu Qiqi said quietly, “Okay!”

But she couldn’t help but continue, she laughed quietly, “You’re really the smarted person in the world, no wonder I like you so much.”

Shen Lang’s face was cold as ice. At this moment he had absolutely no patience for her spoiled, coquettish attitude. Zhu Qiqi pouted, but said no more.

Shen Lang climbed out of the hole and lightly made for the door, pushed it open a hair and peeked, then he turned to the side and slipped out.

They were in a covered corridor but they couldn’t see anyone around.

Zhu Qiqi whispered, “Our luck is pretty good, seems like everyone here is already dead.”

Shen Lang humphed and headed left, but just as he did he heard the sound of footsteps approaching from the end of the corridor.

Someone said, “How could you lock her and Shen Lang up together?”

The person’s voice was unpleasant, it was that “See Profit, Forget Integrity” Jin Buhuan’s voice.

The other person said, “There’s only one dungeon, where else could I put them if not together?”

This person’s voice was sharp and terse, it was that long-gowned person.

Shen Lang had already stopped moving. Although Zhu Qiqi couldn’t see his face, she guessed it had changed color, he turned and went back.

Another voice said, “Let’s go to the dungeon and have a look.”

This person’s voice was strong and forthright, it was “Bold Enough to Swallow a Charging Bull” Lian Tianyun.

If Shen Lang went back the way they came they would surely run into those people.

He couldn’t advance nor retreat, he was really panic-stricken.

Zhu Qiqi whispered, “What are you scared of, fight it out with them.”

Shen Lang grit his teeth, and holding Zhu Qiqi tight with both arms he used all his strength and charged ahead, he was really quick, like an arrow sprung from a bowstring.

Jin Buhuan, Lian Tianyun, and company had just turned the corner when they saw a human shadow charging toward them. Alarmed, they didn’t think it out but reflexively gave way to the side.

At that precarious moment Shen Lang dashed past the group he didn’t turn his head but launched his body movement skill and rushed forward.

He heard shouts behind him rising.

Jin Buhuan said, “Aiya, it’s Shen Lang!”

Lian Tianyun fumed, “After them!”

Then the snap of a sleeves through the wind as they chased after them.

Shen Lang wasn’t familiar with the ins and outs of the house, plus in his desperate state he was already too flustered to think straight and suddenly realized they were heading for a dead end.

Luckily there was a door on the left up ahead.

Shen Lang kicked it open without a second thought and flew inside.

But his pursuers were not about to give up, in fact they were closing in fast. Shen Lang not only had to pay attention where he was going, he was also carrying a person, so of course he was slowed down.

Lian Tianyun shouted, “Where are you running off to?”

Jin Buhuan sneered, “Even if your back sprouted wings you couldn’t escape, you might as well give yourself up.”

Shen Lang had just entered the room and that warning was already right outside the door.

Zhu Qiqi said, “Fight it out with them……fight……”

Shen Lang ignored her. Out of the corner of his eye he glimpsed a window ahead, to the left there was also a door. He hesitated slightly, then suddenly reached out, grabbed a chair and swung it at the window. He turned then like s wisp of smoke darted through the tiny door to the left.

He heard a bang at the window and Jin Buhuan, Lian Tianyun and company were already inside. Shen Lang held his breath and crouched behind the small door and didn’t budge.

In the room Lian Tinyun raged, “Where’d they go?”

Jin Buhuan said, “Must have broken the window and hopped out.”

Lian Tianyun said, “That guy is fast, let’s go.”

Then the sound of fabric rustling and the window opening.

Then there was no sound at all.

Only then did Shen Lang let out his breath and whispered, “Let’s go back the way we came and think of a way to get out, they won’t be after us anymore.”

Zhu Qiqi whispered, “What an excellent feint, I used to use that trick all the time playing hide-and-seek as a child.”

At this very moment, at this critical juncture she rather felt amused, she actually was thinking back to games she played as a child.

Shen Lang couldn’t help but sigh, “Really a spoiled rich kid.”

Zhu Qiqi giggled, “What spoiled rich kid, it’s just because you’re with me of course there’s nothing to be afraid of.”

Shen Lang forced a smile and pulled open the door.

Who would have guessed when he opened the door a crack he saw none other than Jin Buhuan, Lian Tianyun, and the long-gowned person standing there shoulder to shoulder with sneers on their faces.

Shen Lang was so shocked he was practically dumbfounded.

Jin Buhuan roared with laughter, “You thought we had left……hehehe, your little feint to slip out of a predicament might have fooled someone else, but how could it fool Jin Buhuan?”

Lian Tianyun laughed sternly, “Where are you going to escape to now?”

The long-gowned person humphed, “Come on out quietly.”

Shen Lang grit his teeth, but not only did he not rush out, he actually went back inside and slammed the door shut with a bang, then turned and ran. Too bad there were no other doors in the room, nor any windows. It was pitch black, no different from the dungeon except for some decorative objects.

Jin Buhuan and the others were having a nice hearty laugh outside, but they didn’t barge through the door after them.

There was a bang and the door was locked.

The long-gowned person said, “The four walls of this room are constructed of steel, ten times sturdier than that stone dungeon, you all just wait there obediently, don’t even think about trying to escape again.”

Jin Buhuan sneered, “Wait ‘til they’re exhausted and hungry, then we can go back in. In any case we have good food and wine here, we can wait a few days no problem.”

Their cold laughs diminished in the distance.

Shen Lang went to the door and beat on it with his palm, but the sound of metal reverberated back and his hand hurt. The long-gowned person wasn’t lying, the four walls and the door were really made out of steel.

He stood there for a while, not able to move.

Zhu Qiqi scowled, “There were only three of them, none of them your match, why didn’t you fight it out with them? Now……Oh!”

She sighed heavily and shut her mouth.

After a while Shen Lang finally heaved a deep sigh, “If I had fought to the death with them, let’s not talk about vitory or defeat, but……but you……Ai!” He sighed again and was silent.

Zhu Qiqi was also silent for a time, then she suddenly started crying bitterly.

Shen Lang said softly, “Qiqi, don’t cry, I……I was wrong.”

Zhu Qiqi sobbed, “You’re not wrong, you’re not wrong……You’ve done everything for me, and yet I blamed you, I……I really should die, I really should die.”

Shen Lang caressed her soft hair lightly, said sadly, “The one who should die is me. You put so much trust in me, and I……I couldn’t save you, you really should blame me, scold me.”

But this room seemed to be a bedroom. He lightly laid her on a large soft embroidered low bed in the corner of the room. Zhu Qiqi’s face was stained with tears, “I beg you, don’t talk like that, okay? If you talk like that I will be even more sad. You know, I wouldn’t blame you no matter what.”

Shen Lang hung his head. “I’m already both mentally and physically exhausted, I haven’t the strength to fight anymore. We might just die in this little room.”

Zhu Qiqi said, “No, no, you have to pull yourself together, you……”

Shen Lang sighed sadly, “In the present situation, even if I pulled myself together what could I do to get us out of here, why bother deceiving myself and others again.”

Zhu Qiqi wanted to say something, but in the end she just cried gently, because she could see as well that no one would be able to get out of the mess they were in now.

Shen Lang said, “I can’t save you, even if you die here you wouldn’t blame me?”

Zhu Qiqi cried, “How could I blame you? What would I blame you for? Even if I died here right now, it wasn’t your doing, moreover……moreover……”

She closed her eyes lightly, laughed pitifully. “Moreover, being able to die together with you would be the happiest moment of my life……”

Shen Lang was silent for a time. “But you’re still young, you still……”

Zhu Qiqi pounded the bed with her hand, “That’s right, I’m still young, I don’t want to die, only because I want to stay with you forever, spend many blessed years with you, but……”

Her words were suddenly cut short.

Because she had realized that her energy had recovered some as she was pounding on the bed.

She said happily, “Ah, the knockout drops that demon used on me this time must have been different, this one gradually wears off, I can already stand up.”

Zhu Qiqi’s body shook, she was stunned for a moment, then said dejectedly, “Right, it’s too late. Even though I can stand up now, there’s no escape, we’re still going to die here……”

He eyes, bright like autumn water, were staring at Shen Lang.

After who knows how long, she said softly, “But I’m still grateful to Heaven for allowing me to be able to move right now……”

Shen Lang said, “Why is that?”

Zhu Qiqi hung her head. “Although I can’t be with you forever, these short few days before we dies……still belong to us.”

Her voice was trembling.

Not trembling out of fear, but out of an overwhelming emotion.

Shen Lang said, “You……you……”

Zhu Qiqi suddenly reached out and hooked her arm tightly around Shen Lang’s neck. Shen Lang wasn’t stable, and fell onto the big soft bed.

Zhu Qiqi buried her head in his chest murmured almost as if moaning, “You still don’t get it? You……You idiot, you despicable idiot, lovable idiot, before we die I want to give you everything.”

Shen Lang said, “You……you……”

Besides “you” he could barely say anything else.

Zhu Qiqi’s lapels open, her warm bosom pressed close to his chest, her burning cherry lips kissed the back of his ear.

She moaned as if in a dream, murmured, “We don’t have a lot of time left, what are you apprehensive about, what are you waiting for……”

Shen Lang suddenly turned over and clutched her warmly, delicately, pressing closed to her trembling body……

Two pairs of lips, burning.

Those burning lips pressed tightly together.

It was a feverish period, a searching, indulging, obliging period.

Zhu Qiqi’s body quivered, couldn’t stop quivering.

She was afraid, but she called up her courage.

She gave, she endured. She endured his hot kisses falling like rain on her eyelids, her lips, her ears, her powdered neck, her breasts.

Suddenly, she felt a strange yet familiar surge flooding her whole body straight to the depths of her heart, her heart trembled……

She abruptly bit Shen Lang’s lip and pushed forward with all her strength, rolling Shen Lang off the bed.

Shen Lang was too shocked to check himself, and blurted out, “You……are you crazy?”

Zhu Qiqi snatched up the covers and held them tightly to her body and in a frenzied rage shouted, “You’re not Shen Lang……You’re not Shen Lang……”

Shen Lang said, “You’re crazy, if I’m not Shen Lang then who am I?”

Zhu Qiqi shouted hoarsely, “You, you dirty swine, you despicable scoundrel……You……You contemptible, shameless, worse than a pig or a dog, I already know who you are!”

Shen Lang said, “Who am I?”

Zhu Qiqi gnashed her teeth, “Wang Lianhua! You evil scoundrel, you……you……you’ve wronged me bitterly! Luckily I know now, luckily I still……I found out in time.”[1]

“Shen Lang” laughed, at a loss. “I’m Wang Lianhua?”

Zhu Qiqi said, “Wang Lianhua, you’re really cruel, you set up this vicious trap to defile me, you……you……you not only swindled my money, you also want my body……”

“Shen Lang” said, “Oh? I swindled you?”

Zhu Qiqi said, “You knew perfectly well that even though your appearance-changing skill is superb, because I’m so so familiar with Shen Lang, and you feared being recognized, so you arranged to meet me in a dark place.”

She clenched her teeth so tight they made a grinding sound, “You couldn’t copy Shen Lang’s voice so you pretending to be worn out so I would think you had been tormented so much even your voice had changed.”

“Shen Lang” said, “Is that so?”

Zhu Qiqi said, “After you changed your appearance you couldn’t smile, so you took on this brooding manner. Oh, Heavens, I should have known. Even in the most dangerous of times my Shen Lang always wears a smile, I’ve never seen him not smile.”

“Shen Lang” said, “Really?”

Zhu Qiqi said, “Also, once you had thought of a plan to escape you should have hurried up and escaped, why wait all that time for me to arrive before using that plan to make your escape……”[2]

“Shen Lang” said, “Anything else?”

Zhu Qiqi said, “If that man wanted to give you water, dropping a rope down would have been enough, why use a bamboo pole? It was obviously planned out in advance so you could use the bamboo pole to escape.”

“Shen Lang” laughed, “And?”

Zhu Qiqi grit her teeth, “Evil scoundrel, swindling my money wasn’t enough, you also wanted to swindle me……You……You still thought the dungeon was not……not good, so you used another strategy to deceive me into coming here, you……you……”

“Shen Lang” laughed, “Not bad, that dungeon was cold, dark, and damp, no one would have thought of those sordid things in that kind of place, I brought you here so you would offer yourself up.”

Only now did he acknowledge that he was Wang Lianhua.

Zhu Qiqi cursed him, “Evil scoundrel, dirty swine, your heart must have been eaten by a dog! You thought after deceiving me completely you could think of a way to get free, then I would hate Shen Lang for the rest of my life and would stop at nothing to find and get my revenge on Shen Lang, so you would be not only harming me but harming Shen Lang as well.”

Wang Lianhua laughed, “Precisely, that’s called killing two birds with one stone, you get it?”

Zhu Qiqi said, “Who except you would use such a dastardly scheme? In the whole world there’s not one more contemptible, more venomous than you!”

Wang Lianhua laughed, “But there’s still something I don’t understand.”

He didn’t wait for Zhu Qiqi to respond, but said, “My marvelous plan fooled you for so long, how did you suddenly see through it?”

Zhu Qiqi said hatefully, “Only because I……I……”

She paused, then shouted, “Don’t worry about how I saw through it, anyway, I did.”

She shouted so fervently only because not only could Wang Lianhua not figure it out, she herself also couldn’t say——maybe she couldn’t say it without being embarrassed.

It happened that when her and “Shen Lang” were at the height of their passion, she suddenly felt his “action”, it was such a familiar, exactly the same as when Wang Lianhua had done it to her and taken liberties with her that day!

So it was that at that moment when everything hung by a thread she had saw through his secret.

When men and women are intimate with each other, every “action” usually has a certain “procedure”. His thing might be different, but his “procedure” wouldn’t change.

And women are particularly sensitive to these things.

At some point Wang Lianhua had lit a lamp.

He stood before the bed, looking 90% like Shen Lang, only his eyes, fixed on Zhu Qiqi, were indescribably sinister and obscene.

Zhu Qiqi wrapped her body tightly, clenched her teeth, but wouldn’t turn her head to look at him. The flames of her panicky indignant grief had gradually waned, and fear was gradually rising.

Wang Lianhua laughed, “You’re very clever, very clever, you really exceeded my imagination, but you think now you know everything?”

Zhu Qiqi said, “What else don’t I know, I……”

Suddenly she seemed to think of something, she raised her head and saw Wang Lianhua’s sinister and obscene eyes. She shook and cried out, “Those eyes……are those eyes.”

Wang Lianhua smiled slightly. “What eyes?”

Qu Qiqi, her voice quaking, said, “It’s you, it’s you, the one who just killed Xiong Mao’er was you, that……that demon was you in disguise, wasn’t it? Wasn’t it?”

Wang Lianhua roared with laughter. “That’s right, the appearance of that demon in your mind was the work of the Jiangzuo Situ people, I saw it once so why wouldn’t I be able to copy it? Jiangzuo Situ disciples’ appearance-changing skills are superb, but they can’t compare to mine.”

Zhu Qiqi shrieked, “Evil scoundrel, you……you……you……”

Wang Lianhua laughed and cut in, “My good little girl, though you are smart there are still some things you don’t know. Do you want me to tell you everything?”

Zhu Qiqi trembled like an autumn leaf in the wind. “You……Say……Say it……”

Wang Lianhua said, “I happened to run into Jin Buhuan, Li Changqing, and the others out in the desolate outskirts of town, they didn’t recognize me, but I recognized them, and I struck up a conversation with them.”

Zhu Qiqi said, “Those people talked with you?”

Wang Lianhua laughed, “Only because every word I spoke was convincing to them.”

Zhu Qiqi said, “You……You mean about Shen Lang?”

Wang Lianhua laughed loudly, “Yes, you guessed it. I feigned that I wanted to seek Shen Lang to settle things with him, so of course they treated me well, so I gave them directions and told them to come here first and wait for me. We traveled a small secret road, naturally we left no footprints, but it filled you and that Xiong Mao’er with suspicion.”

This Zhu Qiqi had already guessed, but there was one other thing she couldn’t figure out.

She couldn’t help but ask, “What made them want to listen to you and come here first?”

Wang Lianhua laughed, “Only because they were in urgent need of my help in dealing with Shen Lang, only because they all knew I am a benevolent and righteous hero, and that Shen Lang is a treacherous scoundrel.”

Zhu Qiqi said, “Damn it, the blind fools.”

Wang Lianhua said, “I learned from them that you were also nearby, so I stayed there and before long I saw you and that Xiong Mao’er strolling along!”

He laughed loudly, “Only then did I know that though on the outside you pretend to be ready to die to preserve your chastity, you’re actually a loose woman of easy virtue, to be so close with Xiong Mao’er, thinking and doing who knows what.”

Zhu Qiqi cursed furiously, “Bullshit! There was nothing between Xiong Mao’er and I, only your……your dirty eyes make pure things between people seem filthy.”

Wang Lianhua ignored her, continued, “You and that Xiong Mao’er walking hand in hand, while I followed far behind. You and that Xiong Mao’er ascended the mountain and I suddenly had a good idea and quickly disguised myself as that demon, then took a shortcut up the mountain. Then I laid out my brilliant scheme, and without expending the slightest effort turned that Xiong Mao’er into mutilated flesh. Ha ha, The peony dies, becoming a ghost is also romantic. He was able to die for you, his death should not be considered an injustice.”

END CHAPTER 15

And with that, after six years Chapter 15 comes to a close. We're about 1/3 of the way through the novel. What I like best about Wulin Waishi so far is it is very well-paced. Story doesn't drag, which makes it a joy to translate. This update was almost 3,500 words and I blew through it in a few hours. May every part be as entertaining. Thanks for reading everyone, hopefully we can finish this novel. Now on to Chapter 16!

Notes:
    [1]Meaning, she realized who it was before he took her virginity.
    [2]She is referring to his using the cold buns to knock out the guards so he could escape from the dungeon.

Great continuation! Though I had to reread many many pages back to reconnect with the story again.

Looking forward to the next part

Default Chapter 16, Part 1

-------------------------------------------------------
    CHAPTER 16: BOTH CUNNING AND SINISTER

Listening to Wang Lianhua speak Zhu Qiqi now knew why he was so familiar with the mountain roads, and she now knew who had arranged everything at this manor. This manor must be Wang Lianhua’s villa.

Wang Lianhua said, “After I had you brought here I quickly changed into my Shen Lang disguise and waited for Jin Buhuan and the others to set up the brilliant kill two birds with one stone plan.”

Zhu Qiqi said, “Don’t mention Jin Buhuan, but who would have thought Li Changqing and Leng Da would also help you with that shameless venomous scheme.”

Wang Lianhua smiled, “Leng Da has already lost his strength and has fainted, Li Changqing is seriously injured, those two are honestly lying down there. As for Lian Tianyun……hehe, he’s a dullard. I only persuaded Jin Buhuan, you think I couldn’t deceive that dullard, think he wouldn’t obediently do my bidding?”

Zhu Qiqi said, “You……You keep acting like this, the day will come when you will die a horrible death! The living might not be able to cope with you, but the ghosts can still strangle you.”

Wang Lianhua roared with laughter, “If it’s a lady ghost I would actually be delighted; if it’s a male ghost……Well, if I wasn’t afraid of him when he was alive then what need is there to fear him once he’s dead?”

Zhu Qiqi grit her teeth, “You just wait, the day will come……”

Wang Lianhua cut her off with a laugh, “I can’t wait, I have to right now……”

Zhu Qiqi, was shocked, “You have to do what right now?”

Wang Lianhua said, “What I want, don’t tell me you don’t know?”

Zhu Qiqi knew, one look in his eyes and she already knew.

She curled up at the corner of the bed, voice trembling, “You……You dare?”

Wang Lianhua laughed, “Why wouldn’t I dare? If I didn’t dare I would never have told you all those secrets.”

Zhu Qiqi said, “Since I know all those secrets, don’t you want to kill me so there will be no witnesses?”

Wang Lianhua laughed, “My name is Lianhua, and it really is a fitting name for me, as I really do have tender feelings for the fairer sex.[1] Like a delicate sweet lady such as yourself, how could I bear to kill you?”

He smiled and walked to the bedside……

Zhu Qiqi rasped, “Go away, get away from me! I’d rather die than let put a finger on me.”

Just then from outside came the faint sound of shouting and banging, but under the current circumstances Zhu Qiqi didn’t hear it.

Wang Lianhua just frowned and interjected, “We were so intimate just now, why now are you……”

Zhu Qiqi raged, “You dog, I’ll kill you!”

In her state of fury she was about to pounce and have it out with him, but as soon as she moved her hand the blanket fell away. Aside from pulling the covers close to her, what else could she do?

Wang Lianhua laughed, “Come on, come at me, why aren’t you attacking?”

Zhu Qiqi’s voice quivered, “I beg you, let me go……or at least kill me! There’s so many women in the world, you……why must you have me?”

Wang Lianhua said, “There are so many men in the world, why must you have Shen Lang?”

Zhu Qiqi said, “I……I……Ai, Shen Lang, Shen Lang, come save me.”

Wang Lianhua said, “Isn’t Shen Lang right in front of you? Look, I’m Shen Lang! So, just take me for Shen Lang.”

As soon as he finished speaking he pounced on the bed.

Zhu Qiqi yelled, struggled, dodged, pleaded……

She used all her strength, but unfortunately her strength had not completely recovered, she was gradually getting weaker……

Wang Lianhua panted, laughed, “Don’t struggle, it’s no use. From today on you’re mine. Once you’ve become mine, at that time……at that time even if I used a whip I wouldn’t be able to drive you away.”

She just felt Wang Lianhua’s eyes——those sinister, lewd eyes were getting closer and closer, his hot breath also getting closer and closer.

Finally, she arched her body and fell back on the bed.

Finally, Wang Lianhua’s scalding lips found hers……

Finally, she had no strength left to struggle, to resist.

She fainted.

※※※

Zhu Qiqi was passed out maybe a long time, maybe a short time, but whether it was long or brief, there was still plenty of time for stuff to happen.

Was it a long time for her, or a brief time? What actually happened during that time? She had no idea.

Anyway, she would wake up——even though she didn’t want to wake up ever again, because she really didn’t dare to, and because she couldn’t face what had happened while she was passed out.

But presently she did wake up.

When she opened her eyes she saw that face, “Shen Lang’s” face——that face now wore a smile as it looked at her.

That face was still in front of her, still smiling.

Just what had happened while she was passed out? What did he do?

Zhu Qiqi’s mind was cracked, she was completely frenzied, disregarding everything——given the current situation there was really no reason to have any scruples.

She used all her strength and sprang up and smacked that face with all her might. What was weird was he didn’t dodge it nor resist it——this was because he was already completely satisfied, what were a couple slaps to the face?

With a “snap” she threw herself on him and kicked and punched him crazily.

Weeping bitterly she cried, “You rotten bastard……You……You ruined me, I’ll fight you to the death……Fight you……”

Suddenly her hands were caught.

She struggled but couldn’t get free, she turned and cursed, “You all……”

Suddenly she saw the two people restraining her——Xiong Mao’er was clutching her left hand, and restraining her right was none other than Jin Wuwang.

Zhu Qiqi was stunned, like she had seen a ghost.

She was completely dumbfounded, her brain was quickly turning it all over, “Ah, those two didn’t die?……But how are they not dead, how did they get here?……Could these be Wang Lianhua’s men disguised as them to trick me?”

Her voice quavered, “Who are you all?”

Xiona Mao’er stared at her wide-eyed, “Have you gone mad, you can’t even recognize us?”

Zhu Qiqi croaked, “You’re all fake, I know it……I know it, don’t try to trick me.” She struggled for her life, but she couldn’t break free.

Jin Wuwang said, “Fake? You can’t tell if we’re real or fake?”

Xiong Mao’er sighed, “I fear her mind is a bit muddled, otherwise how could she hit Brother Shen? He worked so hard to rescue her, yet she says Brother Shen ruined her.”

Zhu Qiqi stared at them, under the light she saw Jin Wuwang’s impenetrable gaze and Xiong Mao’er’s entire face was excited. That gaze, that expression, how could someone else feign that?

And listening to their voices……Yes, those two were the real thing, absolutely real and not at all fake, but……but how did they get here?

Looking back at the person she had pressed to the bed——those eyes brimming with intelligence and understanding, the free and easy corners of his mouth, smiling without a care in the world.

Yes, this was even more not fake, even more not fake.

This was the real Shen Lang.

But……But how did the fake one suddenly turn into the real one?

Just what was going on?

Zhu Qiqi was in turn startled, delighted, confused. “Could……Could it be I am dreaming?”

Xiong Mao’er said, “Who said you are dreaming?”

Zhu Qiqi stood up absently, then threw herself down and knelt, crying. “If I’m dreaming then let this dream go on forever, I would rather dream, I……I can’t take it……I can’t take it.”

Shen Lang stood up, his eyes full of tenderness and sympathy. Although his face was now red and purple, the corners of his mouth still smiled. He sighed lightly, “Sweet child, don’t cry. You’re not dreaming now. A moment ago you were dreaming, a nightmare.”

His voice was so gentle and soft, so familiar, without a trace of feigned hoarseness.

Zhu Qiqi was no longer suspicious, she fell into him and wept bitterly, “Was it you who saved me?”

Shen Lang said softly, “I’m just sorry I arrived so late and made you suffer so much.”

Zhu Qiqi sobbed, “You saved me, yet I hit you……You took great pains to rescue me, and in return you got a sound beating, I really deserve death……I really deserve death……”

She suddenly took her hand and smacked herself in the face with it.

Shen Lang restrained her and said gently, “How could I blame you?”

Zhu Qiqi said, “It’s my fault……Oh, Shen Lang……Shen Lang, why didn’t you resist or fight back, why did you let me hit you?”

Shen Lang smiled, “You’ve suffered so much, I let you hit me a couple times to let you vent, what’s the big deal? Besides, your blows didn’t hurt me……”

Zhu Qiqi looked at his face, cried, “I did hurt you, look, your face, I made it look like that, yet you don’t blame me at all, but instead……instead……”

She embraced Shen Lang, croaked, “You treat me so well, I’ll never forget it. I……I’ll never forgive myself, never……never……never……”

She forgot everything, embracing him, kissing his face——her tears staining his face, but not aware if her kisses were easing the pain in his face.

Xiong Mao’er and Jin Wuwang stood side by side watching this scene, their expressions indiscernible, the feelings in their hearts unknowable.

Shen Lang smiled, “All right, don’t cry anymore. Get up, don’t let Brother Jin and Brother Xiong laugh at you……Good child, listen, get up quickly.”

Zhu Qiqi just then remembered Jin Wuwang and Xiong Mao’er were there. She stood up, embarrassed, feeling a little apologetic……

She hung her head, not daring to look at them.

A lustrous jade-like delicate hand reached out, holding a cup of tea——white jade palm, light blue tea cup, dark green tea.

A charming, crisp and lovely voice by her ear said, “Miss, drink this tea.”

Zhu Qiqi’s head shot up, she saw a pair of limpid eyes, divine jade-like structured, delicate as a flower, soft as a cloud face. She cried out, “It’s you.”

Bai Feifei smiled winsomely, “It’s me……”

Zhu Qiqi stared. “You’re here too?”

Bai Feifei set softly, “Yes, Miss, I’m here too.”

Zhu Qiqi said, “Shen……Shen Lang has taken you wherever he goes?”

Bai Feifei hung her head and didn’t dare answer, her pale cheeks flushed, her brow clouded, such a pitiful look was really enchanting, very beautiful.

Zhu Qiqi said, “Talk, why aren’t you talking?”

Bai Feifei hung her head. “Miss, I……I……”

Though she held back her tears, her voice was already choked.

Shen Lang said, “Feifei, why don’t you go out and see to them, if they make even the slightest move, call me.”

Bai Feifei said, “Okay.”

This girl was really as gentle as a lamb, as lovable as a swallow, up to now she had not forgotten, she curtseyed to Zhu Qiqi, then dropped her head and went out.

Zhu Qiqi watched her graceful back and sneered, “Feifei……humph, you called her so affectionately.”

Shen Lang sighed, “She’s a pitiful girl, why must you always treat her like that, she’s orphaned and helpless with no one to depend upon, are you saying I should just cast her aside and not care about her?”

Zhu Qiqi said, “She’s pitiful, am I not pitiful? She’s alone and helpless with no one to depend upon, do I have a lot of support? Why do you always cast me aside?”

Shen Lang said, “You……You’re more……”

Zhu Qiqi stamped her foot, “You’re always speaking up for her, you’re always thinking of her, you……you……why did you come rescue me? I never want to see you again!”

Shen Lang said, “All right, all right, I was wrong, I……”

Zhu Qiqi suddenly threw herself on him, sobbing, “No, you weren’t wrong, I was wrong. But I’m jealous……really jealous. I can’t help it, I can’t help it at all.”

Xiong Mao’er couldn’t help but mumble, “You only know your own jealousy, but do you know others can be jealous?”

Zhu Qiqi suddenly shot him a look, “What did you say?”

Xiong Mao’er was taken aback, he forced a smile, “I said Brother Xiong actually always thinks of you, otherwise why would he risk his life to come save you.”

Zhu Qiqi smiled through her tears, “Really?”

Xiong Mao’er dropped his head, “Of course really.”

Zhu Qiqi leapt over to him and smiled, “You’re really a good……”

She looked over at Jin Wuwang. “And you as well……You two both treat me the best. If you two were to die, I really don’t know how much I would grieve……Oh, right, I forgot to ask you two, how did you all escape from danger?”

Jin Wuwang was expressionless——his greatest skill was repressing all his emotions, he never revealed them unintentionally.

He said slowly, “After you left, I wasn’t strong enough to hold off all four of them, but Brother Shen suddenly descended like a heavenly deity and came to my aid. Not only could those four not catch up to us, they didn’t even catch sight of Brother Shen’s face.”

Zhu Qiqi said, “And then?”

Jin Wuwang said, “Nothing.”

Zhu Qiqi gaped at him. “That……That simple?”

Shen Lang laughed, “Brother Jin put it simply, but was brief and to the point, leaving out the unimportant details. If Brother Jin didn’t mention it then it’s really not worth mentioning.”

Zhu Qiqi smiled and sighed lightly, “If he won’t say then I’ll just have to imagine.”

She cloed her eyes lightly, said slowly, “That fight was really intense, that guy Jin Buhuan must have been taunting endlessly, Brother Jin’s forehead was already sweating, he was soon to……to fail. You used your fast body movement skill, grabbed Brother Jin and charged through the fray of fists and palm strikes. Jin Buhuan and the others must have been shocked, but with their wugong how could they stop you, much less chase after you.”

She opened her eyes and smiled happily, “Did I guess right?”

Shen Lang laughed, “More reliable than if you had witnessed it with your own eyes.”

Zhu Qiqi said, “But I can’t think of what must have happened after.”

Shen Lang said, “I didn’t know the details of the situation, so though I went to save Brother Jin, I didn’t want them to see my face in order to avoid conflict.”

He forced a smile, “But later I learned those men had come for me, and that Zhan Yingsong and others had met their death, so I went back with Brother Jin to look for them, but they were already long gone. Luckily the snow leaves footprints, so Brother Jin and I followed them.”

Zhu Qiqi said, “Did you see Mao’er and I’s footprints?”

Shen Lang laughed, “Naturally I saw them, Brother Jin and I thought about it for a while before concluding those footprints must have belonged to you and Brother Xiong, and this made us more worried.”

Zhu Qiqi said, “Really? You were really worried about me?”

Shen Lang evaded her question, “Brother Jin and I went up the mountain and saw the footprints suddenly broke off and there was only yours and Brother Xiong’s. We went to the cliff and your footprints were still there, but Brother Xiong’s were nowhere to be found, then yours circled twice in the snow, then also stopped, only to be replaced by those of another, which headed up the mountain.”

Zhu Qiqi said hatefully, “I was carried off by that rotten bastard.”

Shen Lang said, “By then I had already guessed the situation, but Brother Xiong’s whereabouts caused me a lot of misgivings. I thought about it for a while, then finally decided to go down and have a look.”

Zhu Qiqi cried out, “Ah, You went down, then……then wasn’t that really dangerous!”

Xiong Mao’er suddenly sighed, “Yes, it was really very dangerous down there, I can speak to that better than anyone. Brother Shen really shouldn’t have taken such a big risk to come rescue me.”

Zhu Qiqi said, “I……I didn’t……I didn’t mean that.”

Her face flushed, she didn’t say any more.

Notes:
    [1]憐香惜玉 is a phrase that means to have tender feelings, or sympathy, for women. The first character, 憐 (lian), is also the first character in Wang Lianhua’s given name. The character means “sympathy” or pity”. The other character in his name, 花 (hua), means flower, also refers to women.

Thanks for reading Shirak, and everyone else who is reading this. Zhu Qiqi is something else. She finally makes me pity her and then she does something else to make me not like her. But I like that she is aware of her impetuousness and even blatantly admitted she was jealous; I didn't expect that.

Thank you so much!!! i have been waiting for years to learn more about Shen Lang

Default Chapter 16, Part 2

Zhouyu, thanks for reading. I read the whole thread in just over a day before continuing the translation. It was actually a bit humbling seeing the dates progress as the thread grew, thinking back to where I was in my life during those times. When this translation started I was just a freshman in university and could barely read pinyin. By the time this translation had its last update in 2010 I was just about to move to Taiwan with my wife, where I've been ever since. This translation has been around for awhile. I hope I can finally complete it.

Chapter 16 continued...

Only now did she suddenly think that it was for her that Xiong Mao’er had fallen off the cliff, how could she talk like that now that he had managed to escape from death.

She was embarrassed and ashamed, she hated herself, tears couldn’t help streaming down her cheeks.

Xiong Mao’er didn’t look at her, he just looked straight ahead and said, “I heard you shouting from above and I was really worried. However there was no way for me to climb back up and save you. Then when that big boulder fell down, if it had not broke up by hitting against the side of the cliff as it fell then I would have been squashed. But I wasn’t crushed, yet I still lacked the strength to climb back up. I could only cling to a mountain vine and wait for death. Because I was hanging suspended in midair there was no way for me to exert my strength.”

Shen Lang sighed, “Luckily Brother Xiong didn’t exert his strength, otherwise that withered vine would have broken off. Ai, Brother Xiong was really hanging on the brink of death.”

Tears were already running down Zhu Qiqi’s face, she bit her lip and hung her head, “I……I……”

Brother Xiong interjected, “At first I felt my fingers had been cut up by knives, my whole body was in pain from the cold, but later everything became numb, my mind was also foggy. I don’t know how many times I thought about just letting go, falling would have been a joy. But I still didn’t want to die, because……because I……” Suddenly he sighed and clenched his teeth and said no more.

Zhu Qiqi couldn’t take it anymore, she was choked with tears, “I was wrong to you……I was wrong to you.”

Xiong Mao’er was lost in thought for a while, then with a faint smile said, “It doesn’t matter.”

The more calmly he spoke the more Zhu Qiqi hurt, she croaked, “Actually I wanted to jump down after you and join you in death, I……It was all my fault, dying really wouldn’t be so bad, at least I would have to endure less suffering.”

Xiong Mao’er suddenly turned his head so that no one could see his face, but his body was shaking, revealing his secret……

Shen Lang sighed, “I tied a rope around my waist and went halfway down until I could see Brother Xiong. He had already passed out, but I grabbed hum and pulled him up. Afterward his first sentence to me was that I had to rescue you.”

Zhu Qiqi’s body went limp and she fell down.

Shen Lang said, “So us three followed the tracks up the mountain, and once we entered this room we saw Jin Buhuan and Lian Tianyun outside. Us three joined up and subdued them. Ai……Bai Feifei, luckily I brought her along, it was her who found the locked door. We broke the lock and entered and found you.”

Zhu Qiqi said, “That rotten bastard Wang Lianhua……”

Jin Wuwang said coldly, “How could he escape!”

Xiong Mao’er suddenly turned and laughed, “That guy was really clever. As soon as he saw Shen Lang he said, ‘The real Shen Lang has arrived so the fake one can only give himself up.’ He knew perfectly well that he was no match for us and couldn’t escape, so he really allowed himself to be captured.”

At this moment the passionate youth had recovered his normal carefree boldness, as if he had completely forgotten about all that hed happened.

Zhu Qiqi saw this recovery and was happy, and touched. She looked at him blankly, not sure how she was feeling.

Yes, Xiong Mao’er was really a good man.

Shen Lang laughed, “Seeing the situation, how he had made things so difficult for you, I asked him and Jin Buhuan to sit together, and they answered all questions asked.”

Zhu Qiqi said, “Then……You know everything I’ve been through.”

Shen Lang said, “Yes, I know.”

Zhu Qiqi suddenly cried out, “Ah, my……”

She suddenly remembered her appearance before she fainted, but lowering her head she saw she was fully clothed.

She couldn’t help but raise her head and glance quietly at the three men.

Shen Lang laughed, “That was all thanks to Bai Feifei.”

Once again he had seen through Zhu Qiqi’s intention.

Zhu Qiqi’s face flushed like rosy sunset clouds, she fumed, “That rotten bastard, I, I! Did you seal his acupoints?”

Shen Lang laughed, “Someone like him, how could I?”

Zhu Qiqi said, “Then, you tied them up?”

Shen Lang smiled, “Li Changqing and Reverend Tianfa are all elder heroes, Jin Buhuan is also a famous figure, even Wang Lianhua I couldn’t treat him rudely.”

Zhu Qiqi was shocked, “You didn’t seal his acupoints, or tie him, but asked Bai Feifei to guard them, you……Are you trying to let them escape on purpose?”

Shen Lang smiled, “I just borrowed some of Brother Jin’s ‘Immortal One Day Drunk’ knockout drug and asked them to each use a little, we can assume they won’t be able to escape.”

Immortal One Day Drunk’s flavor Zhu Qiqi had tasted before, she knew it full well so she was naturally set at ease. She let out a breath and mumbled, “Wang Lianhua, Wang Lianhua, your day of retribution has arrived……”

Suddenly she strode out.

The others followed, who would have thought that as soon as Zhu Qiqi was out the door there was a cry of alarm. The others rushed out and were all frozen in place from shock.

※※※

Li Changqing, Lian Tianyun, Reverend Tianfa, Jin Buhuan, and Leng Da were all sitting limply in chairs, but Wang Lianhua was already standing up, about to flee.

He grabbed an alarmed Bai Feifei and laughed, “You all are finished talking, great, great.”

Xiong Mao’er yelled, “You……”

Wang Lianhua didn’t wait for him to finish, but cut in, “Things are developing a bit differently from how you all expected it, right? But though you’re all startled, it’s best not to move, otherwise this girl will suffer.”

Shen Lang though still wore his smile. “Let her go.”

Wang Lianhua laughed loudly, “Let her go? Brother Shen you say it so easily, yet this girl is my protective talisman, how could I just let her go so easily?”

Shen Lang said, “If you let her go I will let you go, and won’t pursue you.”

Wang Lianhua said, “Really?

Shen Lang said, “Whether or not I’m for real you can decide for yourself.”

Wang Lianhua laughed, “All right. If someone else had said it I wouldn’t believe it for a second, for I am distrustful by nature, but Shen Lang saying it is a totally different matter.”

He shifted his gaze to Bai Feifei, said, “To tell the truth, I’m really loathe to release you. Sooner or later I will see you again.” He kissed Bai Feifei’s face, then laughed, turned, and left.

As soon as his hand left her, Bai Feifei fell to the ground, choked with tears.

They watched Wang Lianhua swagger off, all gnashing their teeth.

Zhu Qiqi stamped her foot. “I hate……I really hate him.”

Shen Lang smiled, “Don’t be angry, since I was able to catch him once I can catch him twice.”

Zhu Qiqi said, “If only……”

Suddenly she cried out in alarm, “Aiya, oh no, did he return you my earrings?”

Shen Lang said, “What earrings?”

Zhu Qiqi said, “Those earrings is my proof of identity for at the banks, he swindled them from me. With that pair of earrings he can immediately withdraw a million in gold, this time he can do even more evil.”

She was about to take off after him.

But Shen Lang held her back. Zhu Qiqi said anxiously, “Don’t tell me you, you really want to let him go?”

Shen Lang said, “Don’t tell me you want us to go back on our word and break faith?”

Zhu Qiqi was at a loss, then she sighed and suddenly pointed at Bai Feifei, “It was all you, all you, if it wasn’t for you he wouldn’t have gotten away. Shen Lang, I really don’t understand why you so lightly let that heinous bastard go……”

Shen Lang said coldly, “Did you want to see her die by Wang Lianhua’s hand……”

This was the first time he held back his smile. Zhu Qiqi just bit her lip, angry, but she didn’t dare utter it.

Jin Wuwang frowned. “Immortal One Day Drunk is a surefire medicine, I don’t understand how that guy was able to get away.”

Bai Feifei wept, “It’s all my fault……all my fault.”

Jin Wuwang said, “Your fault?”

Bai Feifei said, “Just now he was sitting there fine, but he suddenly groaned as if he was in a lot of pain. I couldn’t bear to hear it so I asked him what was the matter, he said he……he……”

Jin Wuwang said, “He said what?”

Bai Feifei cried, “He said he had had an illness since he was a child, when it flared up it was really painful. I asked him if there was some way to ease the pain, he asked me to get a bottle of painkillers from a little box in a secret tray under the table……”

Zhu Qiqi paled, “You……You agreed?”

Bai Feifei nodded. “I could see he was in a lot of pain, so……so I had to agree. But soon after he had taken the medicine he suddenly sprang to his feet.”

Jin Wuwang stamped his feet, “I should have expected that, this guy has a lot of secret recipes for knockout drops from the Jiangzuo Situs, why wouldn’t he have an antidote for my ‘Immortal One Day Drunk?’”

Bai Feifei prostrated herself and wept bitterly, “But I really didn’t know, I……I just saw how pitiful her was, I……”

Zhu Qiqi’s face was red with anger. “You……You’re really so kindhearted.”

Bai Feifei said, “Miss, I beg your forgiveness, I, I……”

Zhu Qiqi jumped up, “Forgive you! All because of your damn kind heart we had to watch that rotten bastard get away, right now he could be doing who knows how much harm to people……”

Shen Lang sighed, “You can’t blame her. Her nature is weak and compassionate, she can’t stand to see others suffering……”

Zhu Qiqi shouted, “Why can’t I blame her! So then I’m to blame? Do you know how savage Wang Lianhua was to me……so cruel! You know I’d rather cut off my hands and feet to vent my anger! You……You……You could think about me for once……” She threw herself down and wailed bitterly.

They were all disconcerted to see these two girls on the ground sobbing.

Suddenly wind blew in through the window, and with it raging flames entered.

Xiong Mao’er paled, “Uh oh, fire.”

Shen Lang said, “Let’s get out of here.”

Jin Buhuan quaked, “You all want to flee, you can’t leave us here, you all……”

Jin Wuwang raged, “Swine, coward.” He backhanded him, but in the end still grabbed him up, along with Lian Tianyun.

Lian Tianyun said, “Let go, I’d rather die than be saved by you.”

Jin Wuwang said coldly, “If I insist on saving you what are you going to do about it?”

Lian Tianyun really couldn’t do anything about it, so he shut his mouth.

Shen Lang carried grabbed Leng Da, Li Changqing, and Reverend Tianfa, then smiled, “Brother Xiong, you……”

Xiong Mao’er forced a smile, “I know.”

He only carried Bai Feifei and Zhu Qiqi, but Zhu Qiqi tore away. “I’ll go myself. Don’t worry, I don’t want to die yet.”

The flames were raging rapidly, at that moment the entire window was burned out and smoke choked them all to tears.

Shen Lang said heavily, “Keep calm and follow me.”

He contracted his belly and inhaled, then suddenly kicked out, knocking the corner out of the wall by the window and he darted through.

Thanks again. Your translation speed is amazing.

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

Great job On the translation

Default Chapter 16, Part 3 END

Zhoyu, don't let me spoil you, it won't always be this fast. Kyss of the Sword, thanks and thanks for reading. Here is the final part of chapter 16. I got on a roll and just decided to finish this chapter up. Enjoy!

Chapter 16 continued...

Though the flames were fierce, Shen Lang, Jin Wuwang, and Xiong Mao’er were all top masters among the wulin, Zhu Qiqi following behind naturally had it easier.

They charged out of the flames——outside the window was a small courtyard. Although there were flames in the courtyard there wasn’t much there that was flammable so the flames lessened there.

They made it outside the courtyard walls and stopped, looking up at the towering flames, then down at their scorched clothes, they all let out an involuntary sigh of relief.

Xiong Mao’er sighed, “Wang Lianhua is so malicious……very malicious Wang Lianhua.”

Shen Lang said, “For the flames to be this fierce who knows what he used to start the fire……Ai! This guy’s sinister quick-wittedness is really a rare sight in this world.”

Suddenly a wail erupted indistinctly from among the sea of flames, although the cry was distant and very feeble, but the panic, despair, and grief it contained made their hair stand on end.

Xiong Mao’er said, “Is there someone still trapped among the flames?”

Zhu Qiqi said hatefully, “I know, it’s Wang Lianhua’s subordinates, just now……”

She explained Wang Lianhua’s tricks in a simple manner, how he had shut that man up in the cellar, then she grit her teeth, “He treats his own men so viciously, he’s simply not human.”

Shen Lang blurted, “You all wait here, I’ll go save him.”

Zhu Qiqi said, “You’re going to save him, you know he is also……”

Shen Lang said heavily, “No matter what kind of person he is, at least he is still a person. If he’s a person I can’t just watch him burn alive.” He spoke resolute and decisive, without hesitation.

As he was talking he was already shedding his clothes and soaking them in the snow.

The snow and ice among the flames had already melted, he took his now drenched garments and wrapped one around his head, twisted the other into a cloth staff, and without waiting for anyone to speak he threw himself into the flames.

Shen Lang knew “Wet Bundle Becomes a Staff”, a supreme internal martial art, wherever the garment staff struck the tongues of flames scattered in all directions——though they reconverged in the blink of an eye, but within that blink he had already disappeared in the flames.

Zhu Qiqi repeatedly stamped her feet anxiously, crying, “This guy is really a lunatic, to……to not care for his own life just to save one of that rotten bastard Wang Lianhua’s lackeys, he’s really……”

Jin Wuwang said coldly, “He’s really the first real man, real man of courage I have seen in my life, to make friends with him in this life I can die without regret.”

Xiong Mao’er said in a loud voice, “I, Xiong Mao’er can now saw I admire him.”

Li Changqing, Reverend Tianfa, Lian Tianyun, and Leng Da all couldn’t help but be moved.

Li Changqing sighed, “I didn’t expect Shen Lang to be this chivalrous.”

Jin Buhuan sneered, “It’s nothing so special. Shen Lang, this guy, is good at being artificial, it’s all just to show off to us……”

Lian Tianyun raged, “Bullshit! To risk one’s life like this, how could he be putting us on?”

Reverend Tianfa sighed, “Who is true? Who is fake? His actions even if intended to fish for fame and compliments, but to be willing to risk his life for this, that’s really hard to come by.”

Jin Buhuan sneered, “He……”

Zhu Qiqi suddenly turned on him, raged, “If you say one more word I’ll slaughter you.”

Jin Buhuan really did obediently close his mouth, he didn’t say another word. To deal with this kind of person, Zhu Qiqi’s method was more effective than anything else.

Li Changqing sighed, “I hope Heaven is watching after him, and that Young Master Shen isn’t……”

Xiong Mao’er shouted, “Hey! How could this trifling fire burn up Shen Lang.”

Xiong Mao’er’s words were strong, but secretly he was still worried for Shen Lang——at this moment who wasn’t worried for Shen Lang?

The flames were growing, becoming more intense.

But Shen Lang had not yet come back, they had not even heard the sound of his voice.

Zhu Qiqi’s voice quivered, “Could it be he……he……”

Xiong Mao’er said, “Don’t worry, he’ll be back soon.”

Zhu Qiqi said, “Right, he’ll be back soon……soon……”

They waited a while longer.

The flames larger, more intense.

Zhu Qiqi said, “You……You think he……You think he’s……”

Xiong Mao’er said, “No. A person like him, how could he meet with some unfortunate accident?”

Zhu Qiqi said, “Right……He won’t……He won’t……”

A gust of wind blew, raising a burst of flames and with it a gust of hot air.

They all had to retreat a few steps.

Zhu Qiqi said, “Such……Such big flames, we……we can’t even stand it here, he……he……”

Xiong Mao’er said, “Though we can’t stand it, he’s different. A person of his ability, even if he was in the bottom pits of hell he would still charge out as before, I’m not worried at all, ha ha……not worried at all.”

He roared with laughter, but with that laugh wasn’t a happy one at all, it was harder to endure than bitter crying.

Zhu Qiqi also laughed, “Right, someone like him, even ghosts would fear him……” Although she laughed, yet tears were already running down her cheeks.

Looking far ahead they couldn’t see anything, only flames……flames……

The towering flames had already burned the vault of heaven blood red.

Zhu Qiqi said, “He……He……He……”

She didn’t say the next word, but turned to look at Xiong Mao’er.

Xiong Mao’er’s face was ashen, his mouth closed tightly. Words to comfort himself and others he just couldn’t utter.

Jin Wuwang’s two fists were clenched tight, his fingernails sinking into his skin.

Zhu Qiqi looked at him, looked at Xiong Mao’er, and starting wailing.

Bai Feifei was already choked with sobs.

Such a big fire, if you were to say someone could still escape alive from within, who would believe you? Shen Lang was strong, but after all he wasn’t a shatterproof diamond.

Moreover, even if he was a shatterproof diamond, he’d still be reduced to ashes by the fire.

A fierce inferno like that, no one could last for long.

The mountain village stood alone on the mountain top, separated from the forest by a large tract of land, in back was a cliff, so the flames couldn’t spread far.

Suddenly Li Changqing said, “Ah, the flames are diminishing.”

Zhu Qiqi said, “Yes, they’re getting smaller……He can come out.”

Though she knew no one could linger for long within the flames, and that Shen Lang was not immortal, she wasn’t about to give up hope.

The violent flames finally died down.

They all watched, stared.

Shen Lang? Didn’t see him, not even a trace of him.

Everyone was already despairing, no one thought Shen Lang would come out, it’s just that no one dared say so.

Jin Wuwang suddenly said, “If there’s something that must not be done, one would rather die than do it; if it’s something that must be done then one can die without fear. This was the chivalry of the ancients. Shen Lang, you……you’ve earned my respect.”

His cold and detached face was already stained with tears.

He actually knelt down.

For man like this, cold as an iceberg, to really cry and actually kneel——even he himself had never expected he would ever shed tears for another or kneel for another.

Xiong Mao’er said, “Why must you be like this, he’s not necessarily really……”

Suddenly he threw himself on the ground, stinging tears starting from his eyes——if he was going to cry he was going to do so vocally, he would never cry silently. This man who could kill without shedding a single tear really wailed bitterly. His cries contained immense grief, that grief yet contained deep respect and love.

Li Changqing mumbled, “Oh Shen Lang, Shen Lang, you’ve made these two weep for you……You……Though you died without regret, you didn’t die in vain.”

Reverend Tianfa said, “The death of the righteous is heavier than Mt. Tai.”

Though these two initially didn’t like Shen Lang, they both now were moved to tears.

Tears were already running down his face. He said loudly, “Shen Lang, if Lian Tianyun had known you were this kind of person, even if my head were smashed I would want to befriend you, it’s too bad……it’s too bad I had misjudged you before.”

Only Leng Da kept his mouth sealed, not speaking, but the corners of his his mouth were already leaking blood where he had bitten them——every drop of fresh blood contained grief, more than thousands and thousands of words could express.

Bai Feifei was choked with sobs. “Shen……”

It took all her energy to utter that one word.

As soon as she spoke Zhu Qiqi shouted at her through her own tears, “What are you crying for? You’re the one who killed Shen Lang, what are you crying for? If it weren’t for you how could Wang Lianhua have escaped, how could he have started the fire. If he hadn’t started the fire, why would Shen Lang have……have……”

Bai Feifei’s voice shook, “You’re right……It was……It was me……me……I don't want to live anymore!” She struggled to her feet and made a run for the flames which had not completely died down.

But she had only taken two steps before she was checked by Jin Wuwang and Xiong Mao’er, how could she resist them? She could only cry, cry to the extant that it wasn’t just tears, but blood as well.

Zhu Qiqi mumbled to herself, “All right, if you don’t want to live……so then I still want to live?……”

With a flash she was off toward the flames as well.

She was more than ten times faster than Bai Feifei, how could Jin Wuwang or Xiong Mao’er, who had just caught Bai Feifei also be able to restrain her?

By the time the two set off after she had already entered the flames.

Though the fire was much weakened, yet what was left was still enough to burn you, if someone was determined to die in the fire it would be an easy task.

Jin Wuwang paled, “Qiqi, come back.”

Xiong Mao’er’s face was even more horrible, he shouted, “Qiqi, you can;t die, you can’t die!”

But his calls could not stop one who was determined to die.

Zhu Qiqi didn’t even looked back, she just leapt into the flames!

In the twinkling of an eye her clothes and hair were burnt.

She had a mind to charge into a glowing red wooden frame that was still burning.

Xiong Mao’er screamed, “Qi……”

Suddenly, a figure jumped out as if flying, and fortunately blocked Zhu Qiqi——Zhu Qiqi charged headfirst into the person’s chest.

Who was this person? Who else but Shen Lang.

He carried a person on his shoulder, the person was soaking wet as if he had just been recovered from the water. Shen Lang’s face was also covered with beads of sweat.

The soaring flames had not burned up Shen Lang after all.

They were all at once startled and delighted, this was no trivial matter.

Zhu Qiqi stepped back, lifted her head, then did a double take, rubbed her eyes, rubbed them again, then leapt into his embrace and sobbed loudly.

Shen Lang dragged her with him and walked out. Everyone gathered around.

Bai Feifei was laughing and crying at the same time. “Master Shen……You……”

Jin Wuwang’s hands and feet were shaking. “You……are you……all right?”

Xiong Mao’er looked to the sky and shouted, “Heaven……Oh, Heaven……”

Shen Lang smiled, “Did you all take me for dead?”

Xiong Mao’er said, “It’s a miracle, it’s simply a miracle.”

Zhu Qiqi thumped Shen Lang’s chest, laughing through her tears, “You’re not dead……You’re not dead……You’re really not dead.”

Shen Lang said, “Although I wasn't burnt to death, I’m just about to be beaten to death by you.”

Zhu Qiqi tittered, grumbled coyly, “You’re still making wisecracks! Do you know how worried we all were for you? If you had really died, I……I……” Her tears were not yet dry and she was already smiling, but her smile did not stop her tears from running down her cheeks.

Shen Lang’s face also showed he was moved, he mumbled, “Luckily I just got out……”

Jin Buhuan rolled his eyes and yelled, “Master Shen, you should know it was just Zhu Qiqi who was about to die for you, but also this girl, she also wanted to……”

From the corner of his eye he saw Jin Wuwang’s ice cold gaze, he didn’t dare utter another word.

Shen Lang said, “I made you all worry, I’m sorry, I’m sorry.”

Zhu Qiqi said, “Just sorry?”

Shen Lang laughed, “What else do you want me to do?”

She shot him a flirty look, whispered, “I want you to……”

Close to Shen Lang’s ear she whispered a few words, no one could hear what she said.

After everyone’s delighted surprise and excitement had died down, Jin Wuwang said, “That big fire, how……how did you get out? It’s really unfathomable.”

Shen Lang laughed, “I searched for the cellar, saved this man, but the flames were already savage, I couldn’t get out, then I remembered that life-saving room.”

Zhu Qiqi said, “What life-saving room?”

Shen Lang laughed, “The room you were stranded in. I already knew the room’s four walls were fine steel, the intense flames couldn’t penetrate there, so I hid out in there.” He said it so relaxed, but everyone knew the situation had been critical.

Xiong Mao’er sighed, “If it were anyone other than Shen Lang they likely would have long been burnt to a crisp.”

Jin Wuwang said, “Yes, in such a dangerous situation with raging fire all around, if it were anyone else they would have been flustered and at a loss, who would have thought to hide out there.”

Xiong Mao’er laughed, “If it were me……Heh, I wouldn’t have been able to tell what the walls were made of, even if I weren’t flustered I still wouldn’t have went to hide there.”

Jin Wuwang sighed, “So we can see, a so-called miracle mostly depends on one’s intelligence and ability, there’s no way one could luckily stumble into it.”

Shen Lang laughed, “But it wasn’t easy to hold out in that iron room……With fire all around that metal room was like glowing embers within a stove.”

Zhu Qiqi sniggered, “So you were like a duck in a pot.”

Shen Lang laughed, “Yes, at that time I must have looked like a hanging roast duck, or a lot like when The Grand Supreme Elderly Lord had Sun Wukong tempered in his furnace. Once the door was closed this man couldn’t breathe easily, he’s already passed out, he’s been through a living hell.”

Everyone couldn’t help but laugh, but thinking about the hot and stuffy conditions within the metal room they couldn’t help but sigh inwardly, they really didn’t know how Shen Lang could have stood it.

Though Shen Lang was drenched with sweat, he was still in high spirits.

Zhu Qiqi laughed, “Thankfully you haven’t been smelted into one who can see ghosts.” Since Shen Lang had not died she was able to forget all misfortune, for a time her murmuring and quacking was all anyone could hear, not even Xiong Mao’er could get a word in edgewise.

The man they saved finally came to. He looked around, he looked straight at Shen Lang without even blinking, as if Shen Lang’s whole face had been overgrown with flowers.

Shen Lang smiled, “What?”

The man croaked, “I’m waiting to see.”

Shen Lang laughed, “To see what?”

The man said, “To see what you’re going to do with me.”

Shen Lang laughed, “What do you think I should do with you?”

The man said sternly, “Though you saved my life, I don’t feel the slightest bit grateful to you. If you’re waiting for me to say something you’re dreaming.”

Zhu Qiqi and Xiong Mao’er were both fuming, they said in unison, “You stubborn swine, you……”

The man said, “yes, I’m stubborn, you all can do with me what you like. Though you just now saved my life, you might as well go ahead and kill me now.”

Shen Lang smiles, waved his hand, “You can go.”

The man was taken aback. “Go……You want me to go?”

Shen Lang said, “Yes.”

The man was surprised, he said, “You……You’re not going to force me to talk……”

Shen Lang laughed, “Why should I force you?”

The man said, “Then……Then why……why did you save me?”

Shen Lang said, “I saved your life just to save your life, there’s no other reason.”

The man was amazed. “Just……Just like that?”

Shen Lang laughed, “Just like that.”

The man was incredulous, but he couldn’t not believe it, he stood up took two steps and saw no one was going to try to stop him——He just stood there, not moving at all.

Shen Lang laughed, “How come you’re not going?”

The man said, “To bestow favor without expecting anything in return, though I’ve never seen that before, I’ve heard of it, but to risk your life to save someone without any reason at all, and for a total stranger, an enemy even……Such a thing I’ve never even heard of before.”

Zhu Qiqi laughed, “Yet today you have seen it with your own eyes, and fine it somewhat strange? Let me tell you, this Master Shen’s behavior is often very strange.”

The man said, “I do feel it’s odd, I……I……”

He suddenly knelt and hung his head, “I don’t want to go.”

Shen Lang said, “Come on, stand up.”

The man said, “Water seeks its own level, people flock to high places, birds nest in the dark forests, people choose an enlightend ruler. Although I, Yang Dali, am a boorish fellow, yet I still understand this.”

He breathed heavily, continued, “I, Yang Dali, have been blind these dozen or so years, only today seeing Master Shen have my eyes been opened. I, Yang Dali, followed Wang Lianhua, I assumed in this world people eat people, people deceived people, until today I realize this world yet does contain a few open and aboveboard people, who do open and aboveboard things.”

Zhu Qiqi laughed, “You’re talking so much, what is it you want?”

Yang Dali said, “I just request that Master Shen take me in, henceforth I can be considered Master Shen’s lackey, but from this day forward I can open my eyes and stick out my chest as a person.”

Shen Lang laughed, “Uh……Uh……”

Yang Dali said, “No matter what Master Shen says, I’m determined to follow you.”

Zhu Qiqi looked at Shen Lang and laughed, “Well, answer him.”

Shen Lang said, “Uh……Uh……All right, stand up.”

Yang Dali was delighted, “Thank you, Young Master.”

He rose slowly, laughed, “Yesterday I was Wang Lianhua’s lackey, I only knew to be loyal to him; today I have become Master Shen’s lackey, whatever you want me to do, just say it.”

Shen Lang laughed, “If I asked you, would that be……”

Yang Dali said, “Even if you didn’t ask, I would tell you.”

He mulled it over for a moment, then said, “Wang Lianhua’s mother is Cloud Dream Immortal’s little sister. No one knows who is father is. Wang Lianhua learned everything personally from his mother, but no one knows where his mother learned her wugong from. I only know there are a lot of martial arts among the wulin that have already been lost that he and his mother actually know.”

Zhu Qiqi blurted, “Ah! That’s right, the Purple Demon Hand……That day in the ancient tomb, those people killed by the Purple Demon Hand, that must have been Wang Lianhua’s underhanded trick.”

Yang Dali ignored her and continued, “This house is one of her and her son’s secret dens. From what I know, they have around fifty to sixty such secret dens scattered around the Jiangnan and Jiangbei areas.”

Xiong Mao’er was visibly moved, “Fifty or Sixty places, they have great ambition.”

Yang Dali said, “I don’t know how ambitious mother and son are, I only know they have gathered a lot of famous personages to become their subordinates.”

He looked at Zhu Qiqi, said, “The person interrogating you with me, who had his head wrapped in blue cloth, that person was a famous wulin figure.”

Zhu Qiqi asked, “Who was he?”

Yang Dali said, “I think he’s called……something like Goldfish……”

Zhu Qiqi’s face changed color. “You mean ‘Lacking Scales Goldfish’ Bai Songsan?”

Yang Dali clapped his hands, “That’s right, that’s him. I heard he hangs around high-ranking people and receives their support, just like a goldfish……Goldfish are always raised by elite families. As for the ‘lacking scales’ part, it’s because his body movement is slippery, like a fish without scales, no one can catch him. Like today for example, he must have slipped away long ago.”

Zhu Qiqi was furious, “No wonder Wang Lianhua saw through my intentions, he must not have wanted me to see his real face……”

Xiong Mao’er said, “You know him?”

Zhu Qiqi said, “He was taken on as a martial arts instructor by my old man, he knows everything about my family……Actually, he’s well acquainted with all the bigwigs in the Jiangnan area. Wang Lianhua buying him off must be because he wanted to learn about all those wealthy families in the area.”

Xiong Mao’er said, “I didn’t know this guy was such a schemer.”

Jin Wuwang looked at Li Changqing, said coldly, “Are you getting all this?”

Li Changqing laughed, “Even if I hadn’t heard it, seeing Master Shen’s behavior today is enough. My brothers back then really misjudged him.”

Shen Lang laughed, “Don’t mention things of the past. Today, today I have lacked proper etiquette toward you three elders, but I hope you three won’t hate me for it.”

At this time and place, who could find fault with him?

Li Changqing said, “Zhan Yingsong and the others suddenly meeting their death is really inexplicable, right now Leng San is still watching over their corpses, I wonder if Master Shen would go look at them?”

Lian Tianyn fumed, “Anyway it was Wang Lianhua’s doing, what’s there to look at?”

Li Changqing laughed, “Though that’s true, but……but it’s hard to believe such a poison exists in this world, I think there must be something mysterious here.”

Shen Lang said, “Elder is right, there is something mysterious here. But inspecting their corpses won’t necessarily provide us any clues. To expose the secret, you have to start at the root.”

Li Changqing said, “But……But I wonder where Master Shen would start from?”

Shen Lang said, “That……To be honest, Elder, right now I really don’t have a definite plan, I can only act according to circumstance, therefore I doubt I will be able to spare time to go to ‘Virtue Manor.’”

Li Changqing laughed, “The jianghu is in turmoil, soon there will be a great disturbance, the only one among the jiangu who could shoulder the heavy burden of getting to the bottom of this is you, Master Shen. I can guess the toil you have been through, I only wish Master Shen can go and make some headway, I and my brothers will be waiting quietly at ‘Virtue Manor’ for your good tidings.”

He turned to Jin Wuwang. Though he didn’t say anything, it was clear he wanted Jin Wuwang to quickly dispel the “Immortal One Day Drunk” drug he had been administered.

Naturally Jin Wuwang understood his wish, but though he could administer “Immortal One Day Drunk”, he couldn’t dispel it. He could only pretend to not understand Li Changqing’s wish.

Li Changqing coughed, “Today I would like to take my leave, but……”

Shen Lang could only force a smile. “Immortal One Day Drunk will wear off in a day, but until then neither Brother Jin nor myself can……Ai! I have to beg Elder your forgiveness.”

Li Changqing stared blankly, “Uh……”

Xiong Mao’er looked at Zhu Qiqi, then at Shen Lang, then laughed, “Well, there’s nothing wrong with me, why don’t I escort you two elders back to ‘Virtue Manor’, that way you two don’t have to wait so long.”

Shen Lang was delighted, “That would be best……Dali can take Reverend Tianfa and Brother Leng down the mountain, then wait for me at Revered Tianfa’s place where I can receive some lessons from Reverend.”

Though Yang Dali wanted to go with Shen Lang, he simply answered, “Okay.”

Tianfa had been silent, but now he said heavily, “Shen Lang, what I respect is your benevolence and righteousness, and your excellent wugong. Though our former enmity can be erased with a single stoke, the matter between Flower Bud Immortal and I, I ask you to not interfere.”[1]

Shen Lang bowed, “All right.”

Tianfa said, “Only, you can rest at ease, I will not take advantage. Before Flower Bud Immortal’s wugong has recovered I will not lay one finger on her.”

Shen Lang said, “Thank you, Reverend.”

Jin Buhuan blurted coldly, “And me? Who’s going to escort me?”

Jin Wuwang said coldly, “I’ll escort you.”

Jin Buhuan couldn’t help but shiver. “You……You……Brother Li, Elder Li, you all can’t just leave me behind, you all……” He stopped short because Jin Wuwang had unloaded on his jaw.

Li Changqing looked at him, shook his head and sighed, but he didn’t say anything.

So Xiong Mao’er helped Li and Lian, Yang Dali helped Tianfa and Leng Da.

Zhu Qiqi suddenly stepped in front of Xiong Mao’er. “You’re……You’re leaving now?”

Xiong Mao’er turned his head, not daring to look at her, but he laughed, “I’m going……I should have left already.”

Zhu Qiqi hung her head, “You……You……I……”

Xiong Mao’er looked to the sky and laughed, “Don’t say goodbye for now, we’ll meet again some day……Brother Shen, for saving my life I don’t dare say thank you, in the future……in the future……” His laugh suddenly cut off. He carried Li and Lian and left down the mountain, without turning back to look.

Zhu Qiqi watched him go, she mumbled, “Mao’er……I’m sorry……I’m sorry……”

She had not finished speaking when tears began coursing down her face.

Jin Wuwang said, “That Mao’er, he’s really a good man.”

Shen Lang sighed, “If he’s earned your praise then he must be good……”

Zhu Qiqi suddenly stamped her feet, “Why don’t we get going? Is there still something here worth sticking around for?”

Shen Lang said, “I’m staying here because I still want to search around through the ashes, besides……Brother Jin can use this time to deal with Jin Buhuan.”

Zhu Qiqi said, “Deal with him how?”

Shen Lang said, “That’s up to Brother Jin.”

Jin Wuwang said hatefully, “This scoundrel, I’m anxious to tear him to a thousand pieces!” He stamped his feet, grabbed up Jin Buhuan and sped off with him around back, toward the cliff.

END CHAPTER 16

Notes:
    [1]Flower Bud Immortal, 花蕊仙 (Huarui Xian), this is Hua XinXian from the beginning of the book. Not sure why Lunar_Rainbow transliteated “xin” instead of “rui”. Huarui means flower stamen or flower pistil, but it can also refer to flower buds which have not yet opened up, and that’s the translation I went with as I feel it is more befitting for a woman’s name.

thanks for picking up another wuxia novel.

Default Chapter 17, Part 1

CHAPTER 17: COMPLICATED AND CONFUSING

White clouds remote, the snow had already stopped. The sun was out, yet the mountain breeze was still cold as a knife.

Bai Feifei was curled up, her head hanging down, playing with a corner of her clothes, but she still occasionally glanced at Shen Lang——He had already entered the site of the inferno and was searching it.

He searched carefully, what object on the ground could escape his eyes?

Zhu Qiqi raised her head, looked at the sky, as if in a trance, but but as soon as Bei Feifei cast Shen Lang a glance she couldn’t help but bite her lips.

Suddenly, Jin Wuwang came back, alone, his face ghastly pale.

Zhu Qiqi had to ask him, “Jin Buhuan?”

Jin Wuwang said, “Mm……”

Zhu Qiqi said, “You……You killed him?”

Jin Wuwang was silent for a moment, then said slowly, “I let him go.”

Zhu Qiqi cried out, “You……You let him go? He harmed you like that yet you let him go? Leaving such an evil one as him alive in the world, who knows how many more people he will harm……”

Shen Lang suddenly laughed, “I knew Brother Jin would let him go.”

Who knew when he had returned from his search, but he laughed and continued, “Jin Buhuan was heartless toward Jin Wuwang, but Jin Wuwang couldn’t treat Jin Buhuan unjustly……right? If I were Jin Wuwang I would have released him too.”

Jin Wuwang smiled sadly, “Thanks……”

Shen Lang had complimented him many times, yet he had never said thank you before, he thanked him now only because Shen Lang understood him.

To understand a person sometimes is much more difficult than saving that person’s life. When a stubborn and unsociable person is understood by someone, the gratitude in his heart is impossible to put in words.

Zhu Qiqi looked at Jin Wuwang, then looked at Shen Lang and stamped her feet and sighed, “You men sometimes are unfathomable.”

Shen Lang laughed, “It’s better if a woman doesn’t understand men’s affairs.”

After a while Jin Wuwang said, “Were there any clues among the ashy ruins?”

Shen Lang said, “I found two things, but whether or not they will be of any use I can’t say at the moment……” He paused, then without waiting for Jin Wuwang to speak, continued, “Brother Jin, where will you go now?”

Jin Wuwang raised his head and looked at the white clouds in the sky, mumbled, “Where to now? Where to now?……” Suddenly he said loudly, “Shen Lang, Jin Wuwang’s lowly life today belongs to you, what would you ask of me?”

Shen Lang was surprised, yet delighted, “But your feelings for your former master……”

Jin Wuwang said, “Oh, is Jin Wuwang not as good as Yang Dali?”

Shen Lang rejoiced, “If I can obtain your help there is no large matter that can’t be accomplished……Brother Jin, Shen Lang certainly will rely on his resources, I mustn’t make you regret your decision today……”

The two men shook hands, their words had all been used up.

Zhu Qiqi’s eyes seemed a bit red watching this, she laughed, “Shen Lang, Where are you off to next?”

Shen Lang said, “First I’ll look for your brother-in-law, that immense wealth mustn’t fall into the hands of Wang Lianhua.”

Zhu Qiqi was surprised and elated, “You……You……”

She suddenly embraced Shen Lang, “So Shen Lang still takes Zhu Qiqi’s affairs to heart.”

This happy exclamation resonated along the mountain ridge, already a film of haze covered the winter sun. The weather had been sunny and cloudless for a while, but already another snowstorm was brewing.

The sun had disappeared, the wind grew colder, and delicate Bai Feifei was already shaking with cold, her cherry lips were turning white.

But she clenched her teeth and endured, she would never complain. This girl too frail to bear the weight of her clothes yet possessed a heart stronger than iron and steel.

Jin Wuwang looked at her, then looked at the delighted Zhu Qiqi who was jumping up and down, and his cold gaze couldn’t help but reveal a slight tenderness.

This tenderness was originally for Bai Feifei, but how could it not also extend to Zhu Qiqi?

Perhaps only he knew that under her stubborn, headstrong, refusing to admit defeat exterior, Zhu Qiqi’s heart was fragile.

These were two utterly different girls, yet they each had their own lovable qualities. Their futures, owing to their differing personalities, would be completely different.

Bai Feifei from beginning to end didn’t raise her head, but it wasn’t clear if it was because she didn’t wish to see Zhu Qiqi’s happy expression or if it was because she didn’t dare look again at Shen Lang.

She knew full well her status. She knew she was under the dictate of others. She didn’t expect anyone would worry about her.

Though she was cold, hungry, tired, and shivering……she simply hung her head and bore it, she didn’t even want anyone to see that she was suffering.

Jin Wuwang said heavily, “We should get off this mountain.”

Zhu Qiqi said, “All right, let’s go.”

When she was happy she could follow anyone, so she reached out to grabbed Shen Lang, but Shen Lang was already in front of Bai Feifei.

Bai Feifei’s hands and feet were stiff with cold, she didn’t know how she could make it down that long, rugged mountain path, when she suddenly saw Shen Lang’s hand extended in front of her face.

She was grateful, happy, shaking——that hand was what she was what her heart was most waiting and hoping for, but after furtively catching a glimpse of Zhu Qiqi she didn’t dare take that hand. She hung her head, restrained her tears, and clenched her teeth, “I……I can walk myself.”

Shen Lang smiled, “You really can walk?”

Bai Feifei drooped her head lower, “Real……Really……”

Shen Lang laughed, “Stupid child, don’t try to be brave, how can you walk?”

He reached out and helped her up by the waist——that waist was trembling.

Zhu Qiqi’s face fell, she watched Bai Feifei and Shen Lang snuggled up close, her heart felt as if a thousand catty weight were pressing down on it, pressing her down so that she couldn’t move.

Shen Lang turned around and laughed, “Let’s go, why are you……”

Zhu Qiqi clenched her teeth, “I can’t walk either.”

Shen Lang said, “How come you can’t walk, you……”

Zhu Qiqi yelled, “Someone else clearly said she could walk yet you insisted on helping her; I clearly say I can’t walk yet you insist I can, you……you……”

She sat down, sat down in the snow and started sobbing.

Shen Lang was taken aback, he only forced a smile.

Bai Feifei’s voice shook, “You……You go help Miss Zhu, I……I……I can walk, really I can, really……”

She struggled and finally shook off Shen Lang’s hand, grit her teeth and started down the mountain. Wind blew past and her delicate body liked to be have been carried off with it.

Shen Lang sighed lightly, “Brother Jin, you……”

Jin Wuwang said, “I’ll look after her.”

Shen Lang stood motionless for a while, then he slowly went over to Zhu Qiqi and slowly extended her a hand. His gaze didn’t light on Zhu Qiqi at all, he just said coldly, “All right, I’ll help you. Let’s go.”

Zhu Qiqi hung her head and wept bitterly, her crying even more sorrowful.

Shen Lang said, “Everything is already according to your wishes, what are you crying about?”

Zhu Qiqi croaked, “I know, you didn’t want to help me. You’re helping me all because……all because you were forced to, right……am I right?”

Shen Lang was imperturbable, he said nothing.

Zhu Qiqi wept and bent to the ground, “And I know the more I’m like this the more you will detest me, even though you originally treated me well, seeing me like this will make you hate me.”

Her hands grabbed ice and snow as she wept, “But I can’t help it, as soon as I see you with someone else……My! My heart breaks and I can’t think about anything else……I just can’t control myself.”

She raised her head, her face was messy with snow and ice.

She looked to the sky and cried, “Oh Zhu Qiqi, Zhu Qiqi, why are you so stupid……Why are you so stupid, why do you always do these stupid things?”

Shen Lang’s eyes finally showed pity, he stooped down and scooped her up, saying in a soft voice, “Qiqi, don’t be like this, like a child……”

Zhu Qiqi clutched him, clutched him with all her strength. “Shen Lang, I beg you, don’t ever hate me, don’t ever leave me……As long as you treat me well, I……I could die for you and it wouldn’t matter.”

※※※

After their meal the stove fire was flourishing.

Though this was a small shop in a deserted village and its accommodations were simple, it was no different than paradise to Zhu Qiqi, who had been through a lot of difficulties lately.

She sat in a chair curled up before the stove, her gaze not leaving Shen Lang. She was brimming with happiness because the unpleasantness between her and Shen Lang was in the past.

Earlier when they were descending the mountain Shen Lang has said to her, “Bai Feifei is a pitiful girl, orphaned and helplessly living in this world——with no one to depend on, we ought to treat her a little better, don’t you say?”

He spoke his feelings about Bai Feifei tactfully to Zhu Qiqi, it was compassion only, it wasn’t that he liked her.

Zhu Qiqi’s mood immediately cleared.

As a result she immediately promised Shen Lang, “In the future I will treat her better.”

Now, Bai Feifei sat far away in the corner——although she feared the cold more than anyone, she didn’t dare sit too close to the fire because that’s where Shen Lang was.

Zhu Qiqi thought about what Shen Lang had said and she couldn’t help but feeling pity for her as well. She wanted to tell the pitiful girl to come sit closer.

Shen Lang said, “Feifei, aren’t you cold, why don’t you sit a bit closer?”

Zhu Qiqi spoke out, “Cold? If you’re cold why not just go to sleep, it’s warmest under the quilt.”

This was not what she had originally intended to say, and after she did she immediately regretted it, but in that moment she couldn’t help but speak out.

Shen Lang shot her a look, forced a smile and shook his head.

Bai Feifei stood up gracefully, hung her head and said, “Yes, I should go to sleep……Miss Zhu, goodnight……” She walked away softly, not even lifting her head to look at them.

Zhu Qiqi looked at Shen Lang, then at Jin Wuwang, then she suddenly stood up. “Asking her to go to sleep, does that count as treating her bad too?”

Shen Lang said, “I never said you……”

Zhu Qiqi yelled, “Your mouth didn’t say it, but your heart, huh?”

Shen Lang said, “How could you know what my heart is thinking?”

Zhu Qiqi stamped her foot, “I know, I know, in your hearts you all say I’m a bad woman……Fine, I’m a bad woman, always doing bad things, I……”

Her voice was cut off by a knock at the door.

Shen Lang said, “Who is it?”

The answer came, “It’s me, I have something to report.”

Zhu Qiqi had a bellyful of anger, she fumed, “This late at night to come knocking on someone’s door, did you see a ghost or something?” She threw open the door and a person staggered inside, it was the waiter from the inn.

In his left hand he carried a large pot of tea, in his right he held a sealed letter. He was scared stiff by Zhu Qiqi’s outburst, he stood there wide-eyed.

Shen Lang’s eyes flashed, he smiled, “What is it? Is it that letter?”

The waiter cast a furtive glance at Zhu Qiqi, then dropped his head quickly and said, “Yes, it’s this letter, someone just told me to give this letter to you, Master Shen.”

Shen Lang took the letter, muttered, “What did the person look like?”

The waiter said, “I never saw……”

Zhu Qiqi bellowed, “You received his letter, but never saw the person, are you blind……Or is this person a living ghost and he enchanted your eyes?”

The waiter said, “The……The……The letter was brought in by the noodle seller outside, Liu Fang, he said one of his customers gave it to him. I asked Liu Fang what it was, but Liu Fang, he……he……”

Zhu Qiqi said, “He what?”

The waiter pulled a face, “He didn’t say anything, he really is blind.”

This really stopped Zhu Qiqi short, she found it both infuriating and funny. The waiter didn’t dare provoke her, but crept out on tiptoe.

Shen Lang read the letter slowly, “Top Secret matter, look for the third watch, a matter of vital importance.”

Zhu Qiqi had to ask, “Top Secret……What else?”

Shen Lang said, “That’s it, the letter just had those few words.”

Zhu Qiqi said. “Who wrote it?”

Shen Lang said, “There’s no signature, I don’t recognize the handwriting either.”

Zhu Qiqi mumbled, “That’s weird……Who could it be?”
    Last edited by whiteskwirl; 12-02-16 at 11:30 PM.

Thanks for picking up Wulin Waishi. Reading traditional wuxia feels so refreshing. Particularly Gu Long's style which is so easy to read (and translate I imagine), while filled with mystery, suspense, and brotherhood.

Qiqi is so amusing to find the waiter both infuriating and funny because that's exactly how I feel about her character.
    Last edited by 9Dragons; 12-04-16 at 08:50 PM.

Thanks whiteskwirl.

I just noticed you are continuing this story. Cheers! I don't have time to read yet, but you bet I will.

Badri, 9Dragons, Laoren, Foxs, thanks for reading.

Yeah, as soon as Zhu Qiqi does is decent again she just has to go and do/say something to make me dislike her. At least she's aware of her jealousy.

I feel Shen Lang doesn't really like her, though. Throughout the novel he has never really shown her any affection.

Haven't done anymore translated as of this post, was busy with other stuff this weekend. I hope to have another update the next day or two. For now, a status report:

The print edition of the novel I have is the one currently in print from Gu Long's Taiwan publisher. It's published in 5 volumes. We just started chapter 17 which begins volume 3. So we're 40% through the novel. On page 650 in the print edition.

A couple pics below:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i.imgur.com/dvAvRGT.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i.imgur.com/BsZqdfd.jpg')

Thank you for continuing. I love this story.

Super interested, will be following!

Gotta reread the first few chapters though I don't remember much.