Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Wu Lin Wai Shi

Shen Lang is A-fei's father? I thought Shen Lang's story happened many years before Li Xunhuan even came about. I could be wrong, it's been so long since I read Sentimental Swordsman.
    玉木宏

blog

"So the "happy king" in this novel is not the teachers of CLX?" - Han Solo

No, that would be The Emperor of the Night from "Legend of the Big Flag Hero".

"And is Shen Lang being the biological parent of Ah Fei?" - Han Solo

Many people, including myself, believe so.

"I thought Shen Lang's story happened many years before Li Xunhuan even came about." - Junny

Nope, came right before. References to this story and the people do appear in "Sentimental Swordsman, Ruthless Sword". Some may already have been mentioned in Meh's translation so far, although I am not sure.

Cool

It would be fun reading both translations (this and Meh's) knowing they are related in someway. that is the joy of reading.
    "History's third dimension is always fiction."
    -- The Glass Bead Game, Hermann Hesse

I'm just waiting for Zhu Qi Qi to show up.
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

Originally posted by TigerWong
    "And is Shen Lang being the biological parent of Ah Fei?" - Han Solo

Many people, including myself, believe so.
    Wah? Really? How? I didn't really pay much attention when I read LXH's story ^^; I didn't really find his story all that interesting because he has that annoying (what other people call "admirable") attitude of giving away everything he has, some of which he has no right to give away. Shall go back hunting for references one day. It would be strange for Ah Fei to be Shen Lang's son though, because with a father like that (unless I've missed some important part of the "plot that happened after") you'd expect a son who is less obsessed with fame and victory, because Shen Lang has a very mild attitude towards everything. It seems more likely for CLH to take after him XD

And yeah, Shen Lang came right before LXH, because in some other book...forgot which, GL mentions some of the major heroes and sets Shen Lang "just before" LXH, so within a hundred years to a generation's difference.

Cool

Tigerwong, could you post the proof of Shen Lang being Ah Fei's father again?
    thanks.

Originally posted by TigerWong
    Noodles: What do you mean once in 3 months! I last updated in July which is still this month. Unfortunately, a lot of things are going on right now, so I can't say how often I will update. But I still plan to. Anyway, I do appreciate people enjoying the stories and there are plenty of others to keep you guys occupied.

Sorry Tiger I couldn't remember when you last updated so I just stuck a random time period in
    I'm worse at what I do best
    And for this gift I feel blessed

Hey, what happened to all the old posts?! I can't find any topic older than May of this year no matter what I change my settings to. I was looking for an old post where we talked about this, as this is one of the GL topics that just seems to come up over and over, so I was just gonna post a link. Oh, well. Perhaps it's for the best as we wouldn't want to spoil Luna's translation.

The story of WuLin WaiShi is a part of the Dagger Lee mythos. There are several events in Sentimental Swordsman, Ruthless Sword that tie in to or refer to WuLin WaiShi. And there are several subtle hints to Ah Fei being Shen Lang's son. I can't remember them all as it has been a while, but it'll probably show up sometime in Meh's translation. However, the most direct evidence can be found in Righteous Blood Cleansing The Silver Spear. There was a character in that story who was a direct descendant of Shen Lang and Ah Fei.

Perhaps the more controversial topic is not that Shen Lang is Ah Fei's father, as this seems to be generally accepted, but the identity of Ah Fei's mother. And this ties into Luna's question of why Ah Fei doesn't seem to be more like Shen Lang. It's the issue of nature vs. nurture again. Remember that Ah Fei grew up in the wild, and he was raised by his mother who died when he was very young. It is very likely that Shen Lang didn't even know he had a son in Ah Fei. Given this, and looking at the women Shen Lang encountered, I'm sure Luna can figure out who Ah Fei's mother might be. Athena and I debated on this a while back in that post I was looking for.

There should be no doubt that Shen Lang came just before Dagger Lee. I mean, there is actual interaction connecting the stories... so unless someone rose from the dead or lived to be centuries old, WuLin WaiShi probably took place about 20 years before Dagger Lee (or in other words, Ah Fei's age ). Oh yeah, the Dagger Lee stories come full circle when Yip Hoi and Fu Hung Sheut takes on a familiar villain from WuLin WaiShi, so there ya go. Also, in World Edge, Full Moon, Sabre, they mentioned the most formidable heroes of the past four decades. They were Shen Lang, Dagger Lee, Yip Hoi, and GongTze Yue.

I believe Shen Lang is one of the top 5 heroes in the GL universe, but that is just my opinion. Not only is his martial arts (inner power/hing gung) out of this world, but his maturity, wisdom, intelligence, confidence, etc. are all top notch. He makes things look so easy and he always faces danger with a smile on his face. With most other GL heroes, even ones like CLX, LSF, and LXH, they experience moments of doubt and it is clear that they have weaknesses. But Shen Lang is the type of guy that makes others feel secure and confident that he'll take care of business.

Cool

Thanks all the translators out there to make this happen.

Actually, discussion on GL's characters is very refreshing - kind of new avenue in wuxia world.

I do believe that Afei is Shen Lang's son.
    In LXH story, before SL leving for an unknown island, he visit LXH father. And after LXH told the story to Afei, Afei feel very excited and I think he plans to search SL. From the feeling I believe He is the son of SL with a woman in this story (not mentioned the name, may spoil the translation)
    In my opinion, SL is one of most powerfull fighter in GL universe. His Ming I Shen Gong (Beng Giok Kang) is the same wugong that trained by Ih Hoa Kiong Princess (Legendary Twins) and after the elder Princess can reach the top of the MISG she may quite equal to Yan Nan Thian's Khia Ih Sen Gong. In Legendary Twins YNT is no. 1 fighter.

btw...thanks luna for the translation. With the sheer no of GL translations going on, i'm beginning to like his style very much
    I just love the way the conversation being presented by GL. So lifelike...IMO (I hope you know what I meant).

Well, with junny about to translate Bordertown Wanderer and this translation, I won't have to worry about having to translate any sequel/prequel after DQJKWQJ.

I've split the GL's greatest fighters discussion up and moved it into the Wuxia forum. I've kept the discussion about Ah Fei and Shen Long in here as its related. This way the translation thread won't get diluted.

Keep up the good work Luna
    I'm worse at what I do best
    And for this gift I feel blessed

Question:

Is Wu Lin Wai Shi can be considered as prequel of Xiao Li Fei Dao?
    Spring Summer Autumn Winter.
    Pair ducks nest fly together.
    Clemencies. Summer life, feather winter white.
    Green meadow in spring, before the autumn bite.
    Watching the red gown.
    And none else, alone.

Originally posted by eeyore
    Question:

Is Wu Lin Wai Shi can be considered as prequel of Xiao Li Fei Dao?
    Sort of. There will be some parts later(as in I haven't gotten there with the translation yet) in XLFD which refers to WLWS. It's not a significant relationship though.

Cool

there is now a series wulinwaishi from Mainland. Does it follow with the novel at all, if anyone knows?

Originally posted by Goofy
    there is now a series wulinwaishi from Mainland. Does it follow with the novel at all, if anyone knows?
    I've read up a bit on it and it did deviate a little from the original - although compared with recent TVB adaptions, certainly not much. There is an added romance angle between two characters who err...well, without spoiling anything, one of them suffered an unrequited love in the original. Other changes I think include the removal of the incestuous implications, changing the relationship of one of Shen Lang's close yet-to-appear friends to a relative/son/something of the Happy King (very weird), and probably removing a huge chunk of the plot, as they do with GL who always puts in too many undeveloped characters just to get killed off. Doesn't seem to have been much changes to the nature of the characters though, and I'll stop there before I reveal too much

The next part is coming very soon, I promise ^^;

Default Chapter 01 continued....

Until everyone had finished reading and recorded the important points, Li ChangQing said in a low voice, "Did everyone see the many similarities?"

Xu RuoYu hastened to say, "These two people have at least thirteen similarities: pale-faced, drooping eyebrows, hooked nose, tall build, beautiful hand, extravagant clothing, likes wine, likes women, likes wealth, likes eating exotic foods, does not eat pork, likes wearing rings, likes gesturing while speaking....stroking the beard counts as gesture, right?"

He said thirteen similarities in one breath and couldn't help looking pleased with himself again, but HuaShan YuNv Liu YuRu said coldly, "There are two more points that you missed."

Xu RuoYu frowned, "Which two?"

Liu YuRu said, "Cai YuGuan has thick lips and moles, Happy King wears a long beard. Cai YuGuan has a growth between his brows, yet Happy King has a scar between his brows. These two points are not obvious but should be the most noteworthy. Also, both these people are articulate and gracious, likes befriending others, these are so easy to be seen they are not even worth a mention."

Xu RuoYu reddened and said, "Oh? ......Really?" He turned his head aside, picked up the winecup and poured it down his throat, and didn't look at Liu YuRu again.

Li ChangQing said, "Xu-shaoxia is correct, Liu-guniang is even more cautious, but apart from these there are many more noteworthy points."

Liu YuRu blushed too and said, "Oh? ......Really?"

Li ChangQing said, "All those who have had a close relationship with Cai YuGuan died suddenly overnight, even his father and brothers are included. Their deaths conceivably has something to do with Cai-mou, and from this we can see that this man is malicious and heartless. Since HengShan, Cai YuGuan received countless secret wugong techniques and treasures, 'Happy King' is a wealthy man who knows the wugong of all different sects. Considering that Cai YuGuan can poison his own family, betray his masters, even the woman on his bed is robbed from someone else, and then given to another person as a present, then selling out his own friends is nothing." His tone became angrier and angrier, and eyes blazing, he thundered, "According to all these points, we can judge that Cai YuGuan and that 'Happy King' is in fact one and the same."

Everyone thought this over and came to no different conclusion. Even TianFa-dashi was nodding faintly and sighing, he clasped his hands in a "heshi", "This man has too many desires and extravagances, one day all this will be the flame that burns him."

Li ChangQing said, "Dashi is correct, because this man has too many desires and loves these extravagances, he commit these unspeakable crimes. But it will be too long to wait for him to burn himself, who knows how many more people will die by his hand by then."

TianFa-dashi heshi and hung his head, sighing wordlessly.

Li ChangQing slowly continued, "Us brothers invited everyone here today so that everyone could cooperate and expose this person. Even though this person is very malicious, everyone here is amongst the best in the world, and combining your strengths it should not be difficult to destroy this illness in Wulin." When he finished, the hall was immediately noiseless. Everyone looked grim: some lowered their heads in bemusements, others tipped their heads back dazedly, and still others frowned without speaking.

After a while, Jin BuHuan suddenly said, "If we really killed 'Happy King', what happens to the treasures he leaves behind?"

Li ChangQing glanced at him and said with a smile, "Most of the treasures he leaves behind will be masterless items, and will of course be presented to everyone as a sign of gratitude."

Jin BuHuan asked, "Nothing else apart from this?"

Li ChangQing replied, "Apart from this, this manor will prepare ten thousand money."

Jin BUHuan tittered and rubbed his hands, "In that case, I'll think on it." He took a cup and gulped it down, then picked up a piece of meat and chewed on it heartily.

XiongShi QiaoWu snorted and said, "You really don't fail your name - you open your eyes when you see money. Even if you're in your coffin you would still stick out a hand."

Jin BuHuan chuckled and said, "You're flattering me, it's not like that."

"Yu mian yaoi qin shen jian shou" was staring dazedly at the ceiling and had not heard a word from the others. Presently he said slowly, "Even though this is a difficult task, it is a good chance to become famous...." He suddenly slapped the desk and said, "That's right, whoever kills 'Happy King' should be given the title of the best martial artist."

Liu YuRu said coldly, "Even so, the best martial artist in the world won't be taken by your godly sword."

Xu RuoYu sneered, "Really......Heh heh" He went off into a reverie again.

Silence was restored in the hall for a while, then QingCheng XuanDuGuan DuanHongZi suddenly threw back his head and laughed, "Haha...funny funny, really funny." Even though he was laughing, his expression was still icy, the laughter even more cold and expressionless, there wasn't even half a fraction of laughter in his manner.

Li ChangQing said, "I wonder what daozhang finds funny?"

DuanHongZi said, "Do you(gexia) want to cooperate with these people?"

Li ChangQing said, "That's right."

DuanHongZi sneered, "Will you(gexia) look at these wonderful heroes and champions, who are either after fame, or they are after money, does any of them think of others. If you want these people to cooperate....heh heh....it's even more difficult than fishing with a wooden stick."

Li ChangQing fell silent and frowned.

"Qiao shou lan xin nv zhu ge" Hua SiGu smiled slightly, "DuanHong-daozhang is quite reasonable, but it is not completely correct that no one here thinks of others. Just look at our Qiao Wu-ge, who loves fairness, since when has he been thinking about himself?"

DuanHongZi said, "Hmph, hmphmph." He rolled his eyes and continued to snicker.

Hua SiGu continued, "Besides...even if everyone is motivated by self-interest, but if there is a mutual threat, they would cooperate."

Li ChangQing sighed, "Hua SiGu's insights are indeed remarkable....."

Suddenly WuTai TianFa-dashi leapt up and thundered, "Cai YuGuan indeed deserves to be killed, I(pinseng) have no protests about that, but it is impossible for me(pinseng) to cooperate with certain people. Goodbye." (*NB: I take your leave) With a sweep of his sleeves, he left his seat for the door.

Suddenly, the rush of hoofbeats was heard upon the wind and instead of stopping in front of the manor, trampled straight in. TianFa-dashi paused, and everyone else's expression changed. Immediately they all moved, and their clothes rustled as all nine reached the door of the hall at the same time. Even though their qinggong rank varied, the differences were small.

Even though Li ChangQing lost eight-tenths of his wugong, his speed was no less and snatching forward, pushed open the door. In a low voice, he demanded, "Who is it visiting this manor?" (*NB: High persons from which place, lowering yourself to this lowly manor?)

Before he finished speaking, eight strong horses ran like wind into the frontyard. All eight tall horses were coloured blue iron, and as they reared in the cold breeze, they appeared especially handsome. The men on the horses wore black riding clothes, a fur hat atop their heads, and around their waists were woven belts over all of which they wore a blue-patterned wind cape. Their thick eyebrows coupled with red faces made them appear gallant and dauntless despite the ice and snow covering their body.

The expert eyes of the nine in the hall immediately judged the wugong of these eight people as - though not quite first class - having unusual origins.

Before Li ChangQing could speak, a rush of wind came close and LengSan stood in front of the horse. Even though his body was not large, he stood in front of the eight horses as though none of the horses nor men mattered in his eyes, and said coldly, "Get off horse, or get lost!" His words were sharp and icy, and normally opponents should either be frightened or angered. However, the eight men sat motionless on the horses with no look of fright or anger on their faces. These eight living men at this very moment seemed like eight statues, but LengSan himself was not surprised. His expression still icy, he flung his left arm and hooked onto one horse leg. Even if the horse was a thoroughbred, it could not withstand the strength behind this hook and with a frightened neigh, toppled over. LengSan then fly-kicked, and though it look as though it would not touch the rider, it did. The horse fell to the ground, but the man on the horse was kicked flying. The change was sudden, the speed at which LengSan operated was as fast as lightning.

But the other seven horses and riders still did not move, as though they saw and heard nothing. The riders not moving was one thing, but without the result of strict training, how could the seven horses not move either?

The gathered heroes paled in surprised. After LengSan took care of the first horse, he immediately snatched towards the second horse without another glance. His actions were completely mechanical.

Emotionless: as long as he needs to accomplish something, he would complete it no matter what happened.

No matter how surprising the change, it would not change his mind.

Suddenly, Li ChangQing lowered his voice and said sharply, "Wait!" (*NB: Slowly!)

LengSan forced his hook to a rigid stop and leapt back a metre. Li ChangQing stood in front of him and said, "Where do you come from? What do you want to do here?" (*NB: What is the origin of these friends? What is the purpose at this lowly manor?)

Jin BuHuan continued in a cold voice, "How dare you charge into Virtue Manor and not dismount? Whose power is backing you for you to have such gall?"

The six men still did not answer, but another voice already floated in from the door. Word by word, it drawled, "I do what I want, and you can't stop me." The tone was insolent to the extreme, but the voice was light and clear, like a songbird out of the mountains.

Jin BuHuan narrowed his eyes and said, "My my, wonderful, it's a dolly-girl." He turned and smiled at Xu RuoYu, "It's your chance, Xu-xiong."

Xu RuoYu glared and said, "Do not mock me." Even as he said so, he absently adjusted his hat and patted his clothes. Putting on a suave air, he tilted his face and glanced askance. A horse carriage as elegant as those seen only in pictures were pulled in by four white horses, driven by two black-clothed men, and guarded by two velvet-clothed men.

Li ChangQing frowned slightly as the carriage took straight for the stairs of the hall and couldn't help remarking, "Isn't this a bit rude?"

The person in the carriage said coldly, "None of your business."

Even if Li ChangQing was well-mannered, he was beginning to get angry and said, "Do you(guniang) know who is the master of this manor?"

But the person in the carriage was even angrier than he was and yelled loudly, "Open the door open the door.....I'll talk to him myself." Dragging out two brooms made with jade handles and finely woven straw, the two guards leapt down and swept clean the way in front of the carriage. Following that, two pretty maids came out from the carriage holding a roll of rug, and bent to spread it on the ground.

Jin BuHuan had his hands folded across his chest and enjoyed the show. Xu RuoYu's eyes were even wider, and even though Liu YuRu looked indifferent, she was pondering to herself, "This girl has a lot of airs, and dares to be so impolite towards the master of Virtue Manor, I wonder who she is?....How does she look?" Other things aside, whether this girl was beautiful or not was what she cared about most, and she also watched the door with widened eyes.

Suddenly loud laughter rang out from the carriage and a child dressed in fiery red leapt out laughing. She was dressed like a girl, but her laughter did not sound like that of a girls. Her body was fat and chubby, her hands were white and tender, her hair was tied into a dozen little knots, her clothes were red, her shoes were also red, and on her face she wore a mask of a fire demon, exposing only two round eyes. On first glance, she seemed like a fire child. Liu YuRu was stunned, and asked, "It..It was you just then?"

The fire child giggled and said, "Our seventh-guniang hasn't come out yet, just you wait. She's much prettier than you."

Liu YuRu didn't expect the child to be so seasoned to immediately spot what she was thinking and blushing, she spat, "Little brat, who cares if she's pretty or not?..." Before she finished, a shadow flitted across her vision and there was a white shadow standing ethereally on the red rug. Before even looking at the face, just her lithe body under the light from the snow-white clothes and bright red rug was already elegant and stunning. Besides, the beauty of her face was even more indescribable, without seeing first hand, no one could believe there was such beauty in the world.

Even with Liu YuRu's arrogance, she had to admit that she was not as beautiful and feeling jealous, she sneered, "Not bad, very pretty, but even if you're a beautiful goddess you can't be rude to the master of Virtue Manor. What business do you(guniang) have doing this? I'd be glad to listen."

The white-clothed girl said, "What business is it of yours to listen, why not explain that first?" Cold expression and cold voice; peach-like beauty but cold like frost.

Li ChangQing said in a low voice, "Liu-guniang said exactly what I(laofu) wanted to say."

The white-clothed girl said, "Don't tell me you're angry."

Li ChangQing's expression was icy and he didn't reply, but the girl suddenly smiled sweetly. When smiling, her cold face became indescribably adorable so that even the most iron-hearted men could not harden themselves to hurt her. Still smiling sweetly, she brushed a finger against her cheek and said, "Shame shame shame, losing your temper at your age, what a shame." A face full of cheekiness and insolence, reducing her age from about twenty to about eleven.

Everyone was stunned by this sudden change, and the normally articulate Li ChangQing was lost for words, "You...You..."

The white-clothed girl beamed, "Don't you recognise me, Uncle Li?"

Li ChangQing said, "Well...well, you do seem unfamiliar."

The white-clothed girl said, "Nine years ago....think harder.."

Li ChangQing frowned and said, "Can't remember."

The white-clothed girl laughed and said, "That makes you(laorenjia) a silly old man then, nine years ago on that rainy day....you(laorenjia) arrived at our house soaking wet....."

Li ChangQing blurted, "Zhu...Are you the daughter of the Zhu family?"

The white-clothed girl clapped her hands and grinned, "Right, I'm the girl you(laorenjia) saw that day who was rolling on the ground crying because I wanted a lolly to eat." Smiling sweetly, she walked over and tugged on Li ChangQing's beard, saying, "If you(laorenjia) are still angry then take your anger out on me(zhinv=niece), you can hit or scold me all you like since I(zhinv) just happen to be younger and can't fight back."

Li ChangQing has been in and out of so many battles and faced countless strong foes, but he was completely lost in front of this girl. His previous anger had disappeared and now he forced a smile, "Aye..aye, how time flies, and you(zhinv) are already grown up. How does your father?"

The white-clothed girl smiled, "More and more people want his money these days, and he has to lend out the money even though he doesn't want to, so his hair has gone white in frustration."

Recalling her father's character, Li ChangQing found the girl's description apt to the point and couldn't help laughing. "Nine years ago, I(laozhang) visited your father for the sake of Virtue Manor and even though your father very generously lent us ten thousand gold, he looked terribly torn." (*NB: the pronoun change here - from laofu to laozhang means Li ChangQing has acknowledged their familiar relationship and is now taking a more amiable attitude towards her)

The white-clothed girl laughed and said, "I haven't even told you that after you left, he was so depressed for three entire days that he would not eat, and did not touch any wine just so to save back the loss of the ten thousand gold. The rest of us had to hide in the kitchen when we ate meat..."

Li ChangQing burst out laughing and taking her small hand, marched into the hall. Everyone else were inebriated by her charms and followed them subconsciously. Even TianFa-dashi, the man who did not allow for small talk or laughter had a faint smile on the corner of his mouth.

One more part of this length and chapter one is finally finished. I haven't gone through this part very carefully, so some of the sentences might not run.

whoa..seems that the white-clothed girl can hold helself in front of those elders. I presume that she come back for the money.. I wonder whether the young man(early in the part) is sheng lang?

thanks luna_rainbow for the translation. could not wait what will happen in the Virtue Manor.

Long chapter.... fiuh..

My fave question: how many chapter is this book?

Thanks luna for translating.
    Spring Summer Autumn Winter.
    Pair ducks nest fly together.
    Clemencies. Summer life, feather winter white.
    Green meadow in spring, before the autumn bite.
    Watching the red gown.
    And none else, alone.