Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: BP's oil spill at gulf of mexico

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    6,638

    Default BP's oil spill at gulf of mexico

    what are you guys thought on it? theres many reports on it, one saying as many as 80,000 barrels of oils are being leaked into the ocean each day, one say as low as 15,000 barrels; regardless, it still the biggest oil spill in the world... and they still havent found a way to stop it.
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

    http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

    Entries due July 31st, 2016!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,956

    Default

    i saw from today's newspaper that the spill occurs 1,500 m below sea level. i am no sea expert, but I think it is impossible to send technicians down to repair the spill.

  3. #3
    Senior Member pemberly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    pimptown, USA
    Posts
    4,308

    Default

    as much oil as has been spilled, i heard that the US consumes that amount in an hour.
    nytimes: Every hr you have 10 minutes where youíre not doing anything productive at work, & you canít look at porn. So you make a comment & fulfill this desire to show yourself off as a smarty-pants.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Guo Xiang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    The bubblehead
    Posts
    8,571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuNaR View Post
    what are you guys thought on it? theres many reports on it, one saying as many as 80,000 barrels of oils are being leaked into the ocean each day, one say as low as 15,000 barrels; regardless, it still the biggest oil spill in the world... and they still havent found a way to stop it.
    What? O_O;

    The latest figure I got was 19,000 barrels!
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Giang Ho, Canada
    Posts
    4,642

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pemberly View Post
    as much oil as has been spilled, i heard that the US consumes that amount in an hour.
    In an hour???
    Can you prove it??

  6. #6
    Senior Member pemberly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    pimptown, USA
    Posts
    4,308

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    In an hour???
    Can you prove it??
    -_- but of course.

    if you look at the US Energy Adminstration website, the US consumes 19,498 thousand barrels a day, which equates to 812,417 barrels per hour. There are 42 gallons a barrel; hence, the US uses approximately 34,121,499 gallons of crude oil per hour.

    http://www.eia.doe.gov/basics/quickoil.html
    nytimes: Every hr you have 10 minutes where youíre not doing anything productive at work, & you canít look at porn. So you make a comment & fulfill this desire to show yourself off as a smarty-pants.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Giang Ho, Canada
    Posts
    4,642

    Default

    Thanks for the website.
    Wow, Canada exports nearly 2 million barrels of oil to US per day. That is good. Anyway, federal gasoline tax ($0.184/gallon) in the US is too low. We pay a lot more than that even though we have surplus of oil in Canada. The US government should increase federal gas tax to lower its deficit.
    Last edited by Trien Chieu; 06-03-10 at 07:00 PM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Guo Xiang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    The bubblehead
    Posts
    8,571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Thanks for the website.
    Wow, Canada exports nearly 2 million barrels of oil to US per day. That is good. Anyway, federal gasoline tax ($0.184/gallon) in the US is too low. We pay a lot more than that even though we have surplus of oil in Canada. The US government should increase federal gas tax to lower its deficit.
    I suspect Canada is doing that to lower the use of oil, which is good on many levels.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

  9. #9
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    22,641

    Default

    I wonder if in the end, the Navy is going to just have to send submarines in to torpedo the damn thing.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,956

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    I wonder if in the end, the Navy is going to just have to send submarines in to torpedo the damn thing.
    If they torpedo wrongly, the hole may get bigger. Then more oil rushing out.

    Can they wait for the whole well to be depleted of oil?

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Giang Ho, Canada
    Posts
    4,642

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    I suspect Canada is doing that to lower the use of oil, which is good on many levels.
    Yes, I agree. Anyway, it's depending on where your priorities are. If driving is your number 1 priority, then no matter how expensive gas and insurance are, you still manage to own a car, just cut back on other things. I can't live my life without a car especially as a private tutor, I have to travel from one place to another. Gas price in Ontario just increase by 8% due to new tax.

  12. #12
    Registered User JamesG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Lethbridge AB
    Posts
    2,466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    I suspect Canada is doing that to lower the use of oil, which is good on many levels.
    Canada's govt does it because they can get away with it. Little of it gets used for altruistic purposes [just like the US]. It's just another 'CASH COW'.

Similar Threads

  1. "Personal Firewalls" are mostly snake-oil
    By kidd in forum Tech Squad
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-01-10, 11:54 PM
  2. Investments and jobs in oil and gas sector
    By BabOliver in forum World Happenings
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-28-09, 06:05 AM
  3. RED ALERT - Mexico and surrounding area - Swine FLU
    By rosely in forum World Happenings
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 08-03-09, 11:00 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-08-08, 04:22 AM
  5. santa fe, new mexico
    By patricia n in forum Travel and Food
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-18-08, 01:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •