Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: My reflections on Yeung Gor (by hoatran)

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    It's just a matter of taste.. just like in everything. when I was younger, I loved Captain America, and couldn't figure out why people loved Wolverine so much (and disliked Cap). Now I'm older, and I still love Cap and dislike Wolverine, but at least I can understand and accept that other people may not feel the same way. That's doesn't quite translate into loving Guo Jing and disliking Yang Guo, though (although I do like Guo Jing which was why I felt compelled to post my first post in this thread). We've all accepted that Ken hates Yang Guo all these .. years, so why dig it all up now and bait him just for the sake of discussion? There must be better things to talk about.
    1. hoatran is new here. He didn't know the history behind Ken and YG
    2. hoatran was actually quoting and replying to Cesare not Ken.
    3. hoatran has a right to defend YG if he feels strongly about it, just like Ken has a right to make a YG & XLN hate thread.
    4. People can set bait, whether to take it or not is your choice.

You said we all know Ken hate YG, so, we shouldn't start any YG's defend thread (i.e. dig it all up). Following the same argument. Ken knows hoatran is a YG supporter from his comments in the YG hate thread. So, his reflection on YG will surely be a positive one. Shouldn't Ken refrain from going in there?

If Ken keep on posting the same comment about YG and himself, why couldn't people keep on replying the same? Yeah, you can say it's a tiresome cycle. But, you can't clap with one hand. You can't blame one party only.
    Last edited by kidd; 07-05-10 at 02:21 AM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    3. hoatran has a right to defend YG if he feels strongly about it.
    He does, but let me tell the Yeung Gor fans this:

You may claim your right to defend and support Yeung Gor, but if you do, I'll make sure that Yeung Gor pays dearly for it.

For every statement of support you give him, I'll make ten times as many hate comments...each one far more intense than your support for him.

So if you like Yeung Gor and don't want to see him humiliated and degraded any further, you might just want to reserve your comments. You don't HAVE to, but you know what the response will be. You won't be punished. There will be no bans or restrictions, but I'll make sure it's VERY unworth your while to support him because he'll get TEN TIMES as much hate in response.

Trust me: I've hated this character intensely for twenty-five years of my life...hated him as much as if he'd harmed one of my family members. You think you're going to be able to outlast that?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post

You may claim your right to defend and support Yeung Gor, but if you do, I'll make sure that Yeung Gor pays dearly for it.

For every statement of support you give him, I'll make ten times as many hate comments...each one far more intense than your support for him.

So if you like Yeung Gor and don't want to see him humiliated and degraded any further, you might just want to reserve your comments. You don't HAVE to, but you know what the response will be. You won't be punished. There will be no bans or restrictions, but I'll make sure it's VERY unworth your while to support him because he'll get TEN TIMES as much hate in response.

Trust me: I've hated this character intensely for twenty-five years of my life...hated him as much as if he'd harmed one of my family members. You think you're out to be able to outlast that?
    If on the other hand, they don't care about YG, but they don't like you. They've got a pretty efficient method of screwing with you. One statement of theirs can get more than 10 from you. Rarely do you see anything give such good returns.
    Let's hope you don't have too many enemeies.

Trust me: I've hated this character intensely for twenty-five years of my life...hated him as much as if he'd harmed one of my family members. You think you're out to be able to outlast that?
    You need serious professional help and I'm not being sarcastic.

My concern is not for YG but you. Before you have an emotional breakdown, please go get help.
    Last edited by kidd; 07-05-10 at 02:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Banh Mi View Post
    Let's hope you don't have too many enemeies.
    Let them bring it. I've got enough Yeung Gor-hatred inside me to last me until I'm 110 years old (and then some), and taunting me about Yeung Gor only feeds it and makes it stronger. They think they can burn me out?

It'd be like trying to put out a fire with gasoline.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    You need serious professional help and I'm not being sarcastic.

My concern is not for YG but you. Before you have an emotional breakdown, please go get help.
    The only "help" I need is my hands breaking Yeung Gor's fcuking neck!

Let them bring it. I've got enough Yeung Gor-hatred inside me to last me until I'm 110 years old (and then some), and taunting me about Yeung Gor only feeds it and makes it stronger. They think they can burn me out?

This is getting to be like a TSTL complex. You remain fixated while the world moves on, until in the end you're left behind and your worse enemy is your best friend, your only friend.

Ken, you know that I agree with your assessment of YG and XLN, but...
    ..."the flowers are so beautiful here, if Master Ken could take some more of this beauty in, this negative energy could slowly dissipate."
    Think of lovely things! Like roses! Lully's operas! Du Fu's poems! Pancakes! Coffee! A day off at work! Cowbell...! Ice-cream!
    Puppies!
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://users.telenet.be/van.t.uroks.hof/afbeeldingen/puppy1.jpg')
    ;-]
    Last edited by Cesare; 07-05-10 at 06:09 AM.
    别想把黑暗放在我的面前
    太阳已经生长在我心底
    不再有封闭的畏惧
    奔腾的灵魂飞上天际
    太阳 我在这里

Quote:
    ..."the flowers are so beautiful here, if Master Ken could take some more of this beauty in, this negative energy could slowly dissipate."
    Think of lovely things! Like roses! Lully's operas! Du Fu's poems! Pancakes! Coffee! A day off at work! Cowbell...! Ice-cream!
    Puppies!
    You probably overdid it with the puppies
    Quote Originally Posted by remixedasian View Post
    6: Duan Yu is the greatest martial artist of all time

hoatran quoted Cesare, but referred to Ken's comments directly (and he had read a bit, although he decided against reading much). Technically, yes, you can just ignore it, but in net culture, sadly, to keep quiet and let others have the last word is a sign of defeat. If Ken hadn't posted he would have been goaded by now. He did post a one-liner to avoid things, but that was obviously not enough for other people.

Yeah, I didn't read the other thread (I generally avoid YG threads) but this one was new, and I was like "Oh goodness, what on earth now" and had a look, read it, and prepared for the worst. Now my curiosity keeps me coming back... =)

This is reminiscent of a well-meaning Christian who keeps on bringing Christ up with an atheist. It's not necessarily bad, but makes for a painful experience. I'm not pointing fingers, but this really feels like a witch-hunt. Nobody is going to change opinion, and the comments are, as usual, getting more and more personal, and they didn't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Cesare View Post
    Thank you, and my response is that the flowers might be beautiful, but how can they compare to the beauty of the open-mouthed dismay of the Yeung Gor and Litttle Dragon Girl fan when he/she realizes what tools his/her heroes are.

Once you've seen the beauty of that hopeless dismay, you'll realize that no flower can compare to it.

Puppies!
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://users.telenet.be/van.t.uroks.hof/afbeeldingen/puppy1.jpg')
    ;-]
    When Yeung Gor and Little Dragon Girl come to mind, I think of these things:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.tonyrogers.com/humor/images/motivationalposters/bruteforce.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ttglibrary.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/airwolf01.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://unsd.macrossroleplay.org/sdf1_3.jpg')

Yang Guo isn't the one who comes out of these discussions 'degraded' in the eyes of others.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

The trouble is, you seem to be expending an awful lot of effort flailing away at an Andy Lau-shaped Yang Guo strawman set up by TVB, while Yang Guo as portrayed by JY in the novel is getting by largely unscathed because you are not even aiming at him! Wouldn't it be better to use some of that energy to track down the real Yang Guo and then lay into him instead (not hard, I assure you - he probably has more personality flaws than any other Jinyong protagonist except Wei Xiaobao)? At least you might draw some blood that way .

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    Yang Guo isn't the one who comes out of these discussions 'degraded' in the eyes of others.
    Rather than expend vituperation that is better saved for Yeung Gor, I'll give you this response: for some time now, I've been of the opinion that you didn't select the most suitable SPW character for your username.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Kwok View Post
    The trouble is, you seem to be expending an awful lot of effort flailing away at an Andy Lau-shaped Yang Guo strawman set up by TVB, while Yang Guo as portrayed by JY in the novel is getting by largely unscathed because you are not even aiming at him! Wouldn't it be better to use some of that energy to track down the real Yang Guo and then lay into him instead (not hard, I assure you - he probably has more personality flaws than any other Jinyong protagonist except Wei Xiaobao)? At least you might draw some blood that way .
    The Andy Lau-shaped TVB Yeung Gor strawman was the incarnation that I've identified as my enemy, but despite the detail changes, the strawman is still but a reflection of the real thing. The core of the character remains the same, and my "wide blast" touches them all.

The Andy Lau-shaped TVB Yeung Gor strawman was the incarnation that I've identified as my enemy, but despite the detail changes, the strawman is still but a reflection of the real thing. The core of the character remains the same, and my "wide blast" touches them all.
    Yes, it is a reflection. Like all reflections, some things are completely the opposite way around to the real thing. Your 'wide blast' won't hit because he is standing behind you.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Kwok View Post
    Yes, it is a reflection. Like all reflections, some things are completely the opposite way around to the real thing. Your 'wide blast' won't hit because he is standing behind you.
    You've undoubtedly watched ROCH '83, Doc. Was the Lau incarnation *truly* that different from the real thing?

I mean, to turn Yeung Gor around 180 degrees would turn him into...Gwok Jing, or maybe Cheung Mo Gei.

You've undoubtedly watched ROCH '83, Doc. Was the Lau incarnation *truly* that different from the real thing?

I mean, to turn Yeung Gor around 180 degrees would turn him into...Gwok Jing, or maybe Cheung Mo Gei.
    Judging by your descriptoin of Yang Guo as a Gary Stu character, the Andy Lau character would indeed seem to be very different from the text. Yang Guo isn't a Guo Jing or Zhang Wuji character. He's a Yang Guo character. What a Yang Guo character is, you won't know, as you haven't read the book. You do seem to enjoy thrashing away at a straw man though which you've labelled Yang Guo.

Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    Judging by your descriptoin of Yang Guo as a Gary Stu character, the Andy Lau character would indeed seem to be very different from the text. Yang Guo isn't a Guo Jing or Zhang Wuji character. He's a Yang Guo character. What a Yang Guo character is, you won't know, as you haven't read the book. You do seem to enjoy thrashing away at a straw man though which you've labelled Yang Guo.
    I did not invent this straw man, nor did I seek him out.

He was created and thrust into my face at the worst possible time.

I will never forget, nor will I ever forgive.

Our first example of XLN being a psychopath comes when she's injured because of the interrupted practice of the Jade Maiden. And she's all - "Hey, I'm dying, Yang Guo. But I promised to take care of you for life. I have a brilliant plan, I'll kill you first. That way, I'll keep my promise."

...huh? Wow. Just a slight slippery grip on sanity there, girl.

And then there's all the things she's willing to do to cure Yang Guo of the poison of the Passion Flower. Which is pretty much kill anyone.

"I don't care if he raised you and you love him, why can't you let Guo Jing die so you can live?"

"Oh, Huang Rong is offering for me to kill her to get Yang Guo's cure. That's great."

"Oh, let's take Guo Xiang to Passionless Valley to get the cure. Even though she's a helpless newborn baby."

WTF? Heartless *****. Please, just die already. But, no, she's the heroine. She's the good guy. She's amazing. BS.
    With this description, XLN doesn't seem so bland anymore. Go, psychotic girl!
    Love that "I'll kill you first. That way, I'll keep my promise.". Totally weird reasoning.