Thread: DGSD '81: did TVB *try* to make it accurate at first, and change its mind later?

Default DGSD '81: did TVB *try* to make it accurate at first, and change its mind later?

One thing that many people remember about TVB's 1981 adaptation of Jin Yong's DEMIGODS & SEMIDEVILS is its inaccurate ending, with Mo Yung Bok killing the Janitor Monk, learning godly martial arts, and becoming a menace that even Kiu Fung, Hui Juk, and Deun Yu couldn't defeat.

The thing about DGSD '81, however, is it only started getting off course towards the end of the story (basically, from the point that Mo Yung F'uk murdered Deun Jing Tsun's lovers). Most of DGSD '81 was more-or-less accurate to the novel (as far as I know) until about three-quarters of the way into the story, and then the series went from minor deviations to wholesale rewrite of the ending.

I have a theory: I believe that TVB originally planned to make DGSD '81 a more-or-less accurate adaptation all the way through, but for reasons unexplained changed its mind halfway into production.

The main premise for this theory lies in scenes shown only in the opening titles for Part 1 of DGSD '81 (e.g. 6 MAK DIVINE SWORDS SAGA). In those opening titles, we see such scenes as Yau Tan Tze and Ah Chi in the company of Beggar's Union Elder/Chief Cheun Gwoon Ching, and a crazed Mo Yung F'uk struggling maniacally against invisible enemies before being comforted by Ah Bik. Such scenes are accurate to the DGSD novel, but were *never* shown in the completed episodes of DGSD '81. In the episodes, Yau Tan Tze never became the temporary Beggar's Union Chief (he had no affiliation with the Beggar's Union at all in the series), and Mo Yung F'uk never went insane in DGSD '81, but ended up accidentally killing himself while trying to murder Deun Yu.

Judging from the difference between the opening titles and the completed episodes, it looks like TVB originally *did* plan to adapt DGSD much more accurately in 1981, but for some strange reason, changed its mind and went for that infamously altered ending instead.

What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    One thing that many people remember about TVB's 1981 adaptation of Jin Yong's DEMIGODS & SEMIDEVILS is its inaccurate ending, with Mo Yung Bok killing the Janitor Monk, learning godly martial arts, and becoming a menace that even Kiu Fung, Hui Juk, and Deun Yu couldn't defeat.

The thing about DGSD '81, however, is it only started getting off course towards the end of the story (basically, from the point that Mo Yung F'uk murdered Deun Jing Tsun's lovers). Most of DGSD '81 was more-or-less accurate to the novel (as far as I know) until about three-quarters of the way into the story, and then the series went from minor deviations to wholesale rewrite of the ending.

I have a theory: I believe that TVB originally planned to make DGSD '81 a more-or-less accurate adaptation all the way through, but for reasons unexplained changed its mind halfway into production.

The main premise for this theory lies in scenes shown only in the opening titles for Part 1 of DGSD '81 (e.g. 6 MAK DIVINE SWORDS SAGA). In those opening titles, we see such scenes as Yau Tan Tze and Ah Chi in the company of Beggar's Union Elder/Chief Cheun Gwoon Ching, and a crazed Mo Yung F'uk struggling maniacally against invisible enemies before being comforted by Ah Bik. Such scenes are accurate to the DGSD novel, but were *never* shown in the completed episodes of DGSD '81. In the episodes, Yau Tan Tze never became the temporary Beggar's Union Chief (he had no affiliation with the Beggar's Union at all in the series), and Mo Yung F'uk never went insane in DGSD '81, but ended up accidentally killing himself while trying to murder Deun Yu.

Judging from the difference between the opening titles and the completed episodes, it looks like TVB originally *did* plan to adapt DGSD much more accurately in 1981, but for some strange reason, changed its mind and went for that infamously altered ending instead.

What do you think?
    That why the make a movies on it in 1982 with the similar cast with addition of Norman Tsui to correct it mistake i think ,what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by galvatron View Post
    That why the make a movies on it in 1982 with the similar cast with addition of Norman Tsui to correct it mistake i think ,what do you think?
    what version is this?

Yea, i grew up watching DGSD 81 and accepted the bastardized ending. Every time a new version comes out I would watch it and wonder why the ending is so drastically different, lol.

Its not until later that I found out TVB changed the ending of DGSD 81. I felt so betrayed :P

Quote Originally Posted by galvatron View Post
    I thought Norman Tsui was a complete miscast as Kiu Fung. Tsui looks too refined and gentlemanly to be Kiu Fung. He didn't have the rough edge that Kiu Fung needs, and that Bryan Leung brought to the role in the TV series.

Norman Tsui is a fine actor, but I see him more in roles such as Chor Lau Heung, Lee Chum Foon, or Mo Yung F'uk than as Kiu Fung.

Quote Originally Posted by i_fotted View Post
    what version is this?

Yea, i grew up watching DGSD 81 and accepted the bastardized ending. Every time a new version comes out I would watch it and wonder why the ending is so drastically different, lol.

Its not until later that I found out TVB changed the ending of DGSD 81. I felt so betrayed :P
    I feel that somehow, changing the ending was not TVB's original intent, but something they decided halfway into production. Why they made this decision has never been explained.

DGSD '81 is more-or-less accurate until about three-quarters of the series, and then it becomes unrecognizable to novel readers.

I feel that somehow, changing the ending was not TVB's original intent, but something they decided halfway into production. Why they made this decision has never been explained.

DGSD '81 is more-or-less accurate until about three-quarters of the series, and then it becomes unrecognizable to novel readers.
    Because in the 80s, that was the trend. Every wuxia series had the villian inexplicably becoming a god and killing 3/4 of the cast; for absolutely no reason.

I thought Norman Tsui was a complete miscast as Kiu Fung. Tsui looks too refined and gentlemanly to be Kiu Fung. He didn't have the rough edge that Kiu Fung needs, and that Bryan Leung brought to the role in the TV series.

Norman Tsui is a fine actor, but I see him more in roles such as Chor Lau Heung, Lee Chum Foon, or Mo Yung F'uk than as Kiu Fung.

It's funny you say that about Norman Tsui. He played more sleaze bag roles in the 80s and 90s modern movies. He is a fine actor, but I always thought of him as some gang boss or some other evil character
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.