Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: A Theory Explaining the Unexplainable in the World

  1. #1
    Senior Member PJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    18,376

    Default A Theory Explaining the Unexplainable in the World

    I thought of this today. Please tell me if this has been thought of by others (I'm almost sure it has, I just don't know by who).

    It's 2:30 am here so I'm not going into too much detail.

    We know that humans, and most (all?) things related to it, are prone to making errors. For example, some diseases are caused by mutations in your genome, which (I think) is not supposed to happen. Processes created by humans will make errors, as will products created by humans.

    What if our planet is a "product" in another framework, let's call it the World System, where its creator also makes mistakes. The planet is supposed to work in a certain way, but there are occasional errors. Seemingly unexplainable things that happen which shouldn't happen, which are labeled as supernatural or miracle or whatever, are actually errors in the World System. As with most good man-made products, the error rate is very low, so people don't pay much attention to them.

    Related, I've always hypothesized (and this is truly just a crude hypothesis) that gay people had something go wrong in their conception. Most of the time you can tell someone is gay by their face. They all have a certain feature that makes them different. This is different from being able to tell someone is a flirty type or serious person. More on that later.

    Thoughts on this crazy theory?
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    4 seasons in 1 day
    Posts
    1,138

    Default

    The idea of miracles and phenomenas being a results of glitches, has been explored in the matrix. Where Deja Vu and perceived miracles are actually glitches, bugs and errors in the Matrix code.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,916

    Default

    PJ, what's so crazy about your theory? I can't get it. It's driving me crazy. Is this your intention?

  4. #4
    Senior Member Han Solo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    5,555

    Default

    Diasgree with a lot of your theories.

    Will comment at leisure next time.

    Han Solo
    P/s: off to the open debate.
    Wuxiapedia

    Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

  5. #5
    Moderator kidd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Somewhere Out There
    Posts
    13,110

    Default

    Very deep thought you have. You would make a good science fiction writer.

    I have no answer for you though for now. Maybe after I think more of it.

    Btw, do you also consider identical twins as a production of something go wrong during conception?

    I think I would view your World System as equivalent to our Artificial Intelligence system where it will evolve by itself and not a fix system that will go the same way the whole time.
    Last edited by kidd; 07-02-10 at 11:32 PM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

    和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,916

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    Btw, do you also consider identical twins as a production of something go wrong during conception?
    Pardon me for commenting on this question though it is directed at PJ. I have read somewhere before that two different sperms (from different men) can produce twins. Though I can't remember whether the twins are identical.

  7. #7
    Moderator kidd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Somewhere Out There
    Posts
    13,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    Pardon me for commenting on this question though it is directed at PJ. I have read somewhere before that two different sperms (from different men) can produce twins. Though I can't remember whether the twins are identical.
    In this case, 99.9% will be fraternal twins.
    The chances are very very very slim for an identical twins that have 2 fathers.
    First, u have to have 2 sperms entering the egg at the same time and successfully fertilise the egg at the same time. Then you need the egg to split up.

    But, I have read a very rare case of 2 sperms entering one egg and produce twins. I don't remember it's in theory or real case.
    Last edited by kidd; 07-03-10 at 11:27 PM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

    和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,919

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    I thought of this today. Please tell me if this has been thought of by others (I'm almost sure it has, I just don't know by who).

    It's 2:30 am here so I'm not going into too much detail.

    We know that humans, and most (all?) things related to it, are prone to making errors. For example, some diseases are caused by mutations in your genome, which (I think) is not supposed to happen. Processes created by humans will make errors, as will products created by humans.

    What if our planet is a "product" in another framework, let's call it the World System, where its creator also makes mistakes. The planet is supposed to work in a certain way, but there are occasional errors. Seemingly unexplainable things that happen which shouldn't happen, which are labeled as supernatural or miracle or whatever, are actually errors in the World System. As with most good man-made products, the error rate is very low, so people don't pay much attention to them.

    Related, I've always hypothesized (and this is truly just a crude hypothesis) that gay people had something go wrong in their conception. Most of the time you can tell someone is gay by their face. They all have a certain feature that makes them different. This is different from being able to tell someone is a flirty type or serious person. More on that later.

    Thoughts on this crazy theory?

    something wrong with gay? um, from my personal perspective, i think gay is built by environment and not generic... we're starting to see more and more gay people in today's world than ever before. I'm not sure if gay happens in animal, but it sure as hell ain't increasing like the human population.

  9. #9
    Moderator kidd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Somewhere Out There
    Posts
    13,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by warlock110 View Post
    something wrong with gay? um, from my personal perspective, i think gay is built by environment and not generic... we're starting to see more and more gay people in today's world than ever before. I'm not sure if gay happens in animal, but it sure as hell ain't increasing like the human population.
    They are not increasing in %. Just more open about it. So, they are more visible now compared to before.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

    和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

  10. #10
    Senior Member ByTmE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    District of Columbia
    Posts
    1,040

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    Pardon me for commenting on this question though it is directed at PJ. I have read somewhere before that two different sperms (from different men) can produce twins. Though I can't remember whether the twins are identical.
    WHAT?? No way!! LoL bio-anthropological theory of evolution states that the sperm of the second man would supersede and therefore completely pawn the sperm of the first man.

    Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    In this case, 99.9% will be fraternal twins.
    The chances are very very very slim for an identical twins that have 2 fathers.
    First, u have to have 2 sperm entering the egg at the same time and successfully fertilise the egg at the same time. Then you need to egg to split up.

    But, I have read a very rare case of 2 sperms entering one egg and produce twins. I don't remember it's in theory or real case.
    I agree on the poor statistics, see theory above. The question begs to be asked: Why would a woman have two sperm sets from two different men inside of her simultaneously? Hmmm....hmmm....

    I'm sorry I have no thoughts to add about PJ's "theory." Such theories are beyond the boundaries of my critical thinking ability. Besides, it sounds like the rantings of a crazy man whose suffering from sleep deprivation.
    I like me.

  11. #11
    Moderator kidd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Somewhere Out There
    Posts
    13,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    Pardon me for commenting on this question though it is directed at PJ. I have read somewhere before that two different sperms (from different men) can produce twins. Though I can't remember whether the twins are identical.
    In this case, 99.9% will be fraternal twins.
    The chances are very very very slim for an identical twins that have 2 fathers.
    First, u have to have 2 sperms entering the egg at the same time and successfully fertilise the egg at the same time. Then you need the egg to split up.

    But, I have read a very rare case of 2 sperms entering one egg and produce twins. I don't remember it's in theory or real case.
    Found I mentioned above.

    Semi-identical twins discovered
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

    和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

  12. #12
    Senior Member PJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    18,376

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    Btw, do you also consider identical twins as a production of something go wrong during conception?
    I don't know anything about the scientific basis of identical twins, but it seems highly possible to be an error during conception.

    Now, whether the error is due to random chance (what my theory covers) or known causes, is something to be considered for identical twins as well as other birth "anomalies". Some anomalies are known to be caused by the parents such as drinking while pregnant, etc.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

  13. #13
    Moderator kidd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Somewhere Out There
    Posts
    13,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    I don't know anything about the scientific basis of identical twins, but it seems highly possible to be an error during conception.

    Now, whether the error is due to random chance (what my theory covers) or known causes, is something to be considered for identical twins as well as other birth "anomalies". Some anomalies are known to be caused by the parents such as drinking while pregnant, etc.
    Identical twins were formed by the splitting of 1 egg into 2 during early stage of pregnancy. I think identical twins runs in the family. So, it's more to having genes that are more likely to create easily split up eggs. Btw, there's also mirror twins. It was hypothesised that mirror twins come from late splitting of the eggs i.e. the eggs split later than it has for identical twins.

    Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    Related, I've always hypothesized (and this is truly just a crude hypothesis) that gay people had something go wrong in their conception. Most of the time you can tell someone is gay by their face. They all have a certain feature that makes them different. This is different from being able to tell someone is a flirty type or serious person. More on that later.
    If that's your definition of bugs in your World System, yes, I guess being gay can be considered as bugs and so is other anomalies. That includes those guys with super IQ I guess. I mean, they are at the very end of the bell curve and less than 1% of the world population.

    I really don't know how to answer your question. If you really want me to see this world as a programed system, I would view it as the creator created it with many possibilities and even gave it the ability to write its own code. Then, the creator will sit back and see how his program evolves i.e. the Artificial Intelligence system I mentioned earlier. Maybe the creator will intervene it once in a while to add some new things to make the program more fun, and maybe he has hidden some Easter Eggs for men to discover.

    I thought Han is going to answer you? Where is he?
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

    和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

  14. #14
    Senior Member PJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    18,376

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    If that's your definition of bugs in your World System, yes, I guess being gay can be considered as bugs and so is other anomalies. That includes those guys with super IQ I guess. I mean, they are at the very end of the bell curve and less than 1% of the world population.
    I think some geniuses got so smart by having abnormalities in their neurology, which turns out to be an advantage for them (but could also take tolls on them such as causing neurological diseases). In those cases I would say yes, they got there by "errors" in their making.

    I really don't know how to answer your question. If you really want me to see this world as a programed system, I would view it as the creator created it with many possibilities and even gave it the ability to write its own code. Then, the creator will sit back and see how his program evolves i.e. the Artificial Intelligence system I mentioned earlier. Maybe the creator will intervene it once in a while to add some new things to make the program more fun, and maybe he has hidden some Easter Eggs for men to discover.
    Yep, all of those are possibilities and good thoughts. The "intervene once in a while" thing could also be the source of miracles.

    My theory is really meant to cover random chances as errors in the System. However, many errors that happen are not due to random chance, but known causes, and those are not part of the theory. Actually, as science udnerstands more about how the world works, we should have more and more known causes and less and less random chances. But until we have demystified all randomness, I will keep this theory.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,916

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    My theory is really meant to cover random chances as errors in the System. However, many errors that happen are not due to random chance, but known causes, and those are not part of the theory. Actually, as science udnerstands more about how the world works, we should have more and more known causes and less and less random chances. But until we have demystified all randomness, I will keep this theory.
    Are you arguing that for all effects, there will be causes? For the latter, there are known causes and unknown random causes. While the former is increasing the latter is reducing. But there will always be random causes until all random causes are "demystified"?

    If so, the pie of effects can be increasing too, right? Hence, it is possible that while known causes can be increasing, random causes can be increasing too?

Similar Threads

  1. Explaining Wuxia Fiction to Americans/Europeans
    By Swordwiz in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-03-12, 02:44 PM
  2. DVD explaining Chinese Opera?
    By xianzai in forum Academia
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-27-09, 09:44 PM
  3. That 30/70 Dragon Palm theory.
    By CC in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-31-06, 11:55 PM
  4. Another look at The Declining Theory
    By Temujin in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 09-10-04, 07:46 PM
  5. My Theory Fantasy
    By reiayanami in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-25-04, 09:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •