Thread: Charities

Default Charities

I've recently been approached by a charitable organisation to sign up for a monthly donation. I've never heard of the organisation, so, I told the guy that I'll check up their website first and didn't sign up. I asked him how long they will be in the complex and he said only one day. He also said that this sign up campaign info will not be found in the website.

Beside already donating monthly to 2 organisations, and being quite tight financially now, my other concern for signing up is the experience story I heard from a family friend. She was also donating to a charitable organisation monthly, but, later found out that only a very small percentage of her donation actually went to where it's supposed to go to. So, she decided to terminate her donation contract. She went through a lot of hassles to get the contract terminated. After she requested termination, the organisation still kept on billing her. So, it kinda made me apprehensive about signing up with this unknown charitable organisation.

So, what is your experience with donating to charitable organisation? How do you determine which organisation is trustworthy? That your money will really go to where it's supposed to go to?

Like the charitable organisation who tried to sign me up. He said I only have to give RM38 monthly which amount to RM1.26 daily. I wonder if this daily donation will end up as one of the staff lunch allowances or go to the kids I'm supposed to support.
    Last edited by kidd; 07-11-10 at 11:14 AM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

From what I heard, very few charities actually donate a significant amount of money to their causes.

I give to charity, but only a few I know are more trustworthy, like United Way. I'd much rather just donate food to the local food bank or volunteer to help out.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

Hm. I only do two types of "charities" also. Firstly, is up front and in person. For example giving to poor people, sponsoring poor relatives educations, or helping to build temples for schools and such. The second is volunteering my own time.

Frankly, I just don't care for organizations and whatever commitments. Well, maybe that's being uncharitable of me haha. If you're tight on money though, you should first be charitable to yourself.
    I like me.

Well i actually worked for a charity (United Nations) for 2.5yrs and let me just say we got paid a shiitload. I admit it was very high pay. This being said, i donated monthly to another charity.
    ~ I'm so awesome.. the greatest ever after Kobe!! ~
    ~ aka Mini T-mac here ~

Quote Originally Posted by milKBoi View Post
    Well i actually worked for a charity (United Nations) for 2.5yrs and let me just say we got paid a shiitload. I admit it was very high pay. This being said, i donated monthly to another charity.
    I only donate when certain events such as natural disasters. I do not want to give my hard earn money to make those charity workers rich. It's always good and handy to have money in account for rainy days.

i prefer anonymous cashgifts to people i know who actually needed the amount.

i dont like fix donation schemes because they seemed to withhold too much information of me ~ and i'd been approached by people who sounded more like salesman trying to meet their target; and i really dislike people like them.
    o wilku mowa...♪

The only thing I need to know is that I don't know anything.