Thread: Most exciting flashback/story-recounting

Default Most exciting flashback/story-recounting

In Jin Yong universe, flashbacks and story recountings are often filled with twists and excitement. Some examples are:

DGSD - Several people recounting their terrifying encounters with Murong Bo years ago.

DGSD - Zhiguang recounting the terrifying encounter with Xiao Yuanshan 30 years ago.

DGSD - Xiao Feng recounting how he as a child killed a doctor.

LOCH - Yideng recounting how Zhou Botong impregnated Yinggu, Qiu Qianren injured the baby, he refused to save it.

ROCH - Qiu Chuji recounting how the history of Wang Chongyang and Lin Chaoying created Quanzhen and Ancient Tomb.

ROCH - Qiu Qianchi recounting how Gongsun Zhi left her to die.

ROCH - Several people in an inn sharing stories of Divine Eagle Hero's interventions helping ordinary ppl and upholding justice.

HSDS - Xie Xun recounting his life story with Cheng Kun, Seven Maim Fist, and Reverend Kongjian.

HSDS - Cheng Kun revealing his affair with Yang Dingtian's wife and his schemes destroying Ming Cult.

HSDS - Xie Xun reciting the history of Purple Dragon Lord.

SPW - Fangzheng and Chongxu recounting the history of Sunflower Manuscript and Pixie Swordplay.

OTG - Shi Qing and Min Rou recounting how young Zhang San and Li Si terrified the world.

OTG - Lord Long and Lord Mu explaining why they invited everyone to Gallant Island.

BXJ - Wenyi revealing her romance with Golden Snake Prince Xia Xueyi.

ADS - Ding Dian revealing how he met the girl of his dream and became invincible.

Which one is your favorite?
    Last edited by PJ; 07-11-10 at 04:05 PM.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

For me one of the more thrilling ones was in LOCH when Ke Zhener recounted to his brothers and sister about how his older brother died to Chen Xuanfeng and Mei Chaofeng, and how he lost his eyes, and how they should flee and leave him alone. The flashback, coupled with the urgency and the dangerous situation they were in, really upped the atmosphere.

Ding Dian's recounting of his entire ordeal to Di Yun before he died was also really moving, although it was so long it probably counted should have been part of the plot rather than a flashback.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    Ding Dian's recounting of his entire ordeal to Di Yun before he died was also really moving, although it was so long it probably counted should have been part of the plot rather than a flashback.
    Yes, this was probably the LONGEST flashback of all time in Jin Yong universe, and deserves special mention.

SPW, Yilin recounting Linghu Chong's story.

For me:

ROCH - Qiu Chuji recounting how the history of Wang Chongyang and Lin Chaoying created Quanzhen and Ancient Tomb.

That was one hell of a story. Particularly interesting.
    "Big Hero Linghu kills frogs with the Dugu Nine Swords!”

All the flashbacks in Fox Volant of the Snowy Mountain, which keep undercutting one another.
    The Ying-gu flashback in LoCH.

Yilin telling the story of LHC. That was probably the greatest moment of SPW. I really got hooked to it after that scene. Everything was very well done.

Yilin's story telling is indeed excellent. However, I was only thinking of recounts where the information is being disseminated for the first time.

LOCH - 4-way storytelling in the Iron Spear temple with Huang Rong, Shagu, Ouyang Feng and Ke Zhen E, referencing a story we've already seen one side of.

Yilin introducing LHC is one of my favorite scenes.

I thought the recounting of Golden Snake Sword in SSRB would have been one of the longest at least it seems that way in tv series.

Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    LOCH - 4-way storytelling in the Iron Spear temple with Huang Rong, Shagu, Ouyang Feng and Ke Zhen E, referencing a story we've already seen one side of.
    Yes, I totally agree! That was recounting scene was very intense as it unfolded, especially since the reader was discovering the truth of what they partially know about as well as the characters.

Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Heiress View Post
    Yes, I totally agree! That was recounting scene was very intense as it unfolded, especially since the reader was discovering the truth of what they partially know about as well as the characters.
    The best thing about it was that it actually propelled the story forward rather than ground it to a halt. Typically, flashback segments bring the main narrative to a screeching halt. This one didn't.

^I agree with that. Most flashbacks tend to be fairly annoying in that sense and I skim over them as quickly as possible because most flashbacks don't do very much for the story.

was this a flashback? i thought they were just recounting...

HSDS - Cheng Kun revealing his affair with Yang Dingtian's wife and his schemes destroying Ming Cult.

this one was particularly interesting as it spanned so many years and so many levels of entrapment yet not one person knew about it...
    Currently in love with Bae Suzy...for superficial reasons.

^The title says "Most exciting flashback/story-recounting so recounts should be considered as well.

I'm particularly fond of Yilin recounting Linghu Chong's story in SPW. It's a very interesting way of introducing a character.

I also like the Rashomon-like flashbacks in Flying Fox of Snowy Mountain as the monk, Ping Si and Miao Ruolan each describe how Miao Renfeng and Hu Yidao met and became instant friends.
    你看这些云彩,聚了又散,散了又聚,人生离合也是一样。

Mine is from (surprise surprise!) DGSD. It is not from any of those PJ listed though. And NO, it is not SWORD GOD Zhuo Bufan's story either (time flies, it is going to be August again in 1 week. *hint* to PJ).

I just loved how the backstory of the 3 Xiao Yao elders and their linkage with the Wang, Duan, Murong families, Divine Doctor, Su Xinghe and disciples plus Ding slowly came to light in bits and pieces over the whole novel. It was a tragic backstory that provided the spine which bound the large fragments of DGSD together in a beautiful way because it touched nearly everyone. The way Jin Yong weaved all the parts to touch with the Xiao Yao story was really masterful.

In addition, the fact that the whole story was revealed only bit by bit and in different situations by different characters had me always hoping for the next nugget of information as the novel progressed. So it really draws me in.

I always found it especially tragic that WYZ and LQS never saw Wang Yuyan. Especially WYZ since WYY was so close-by during his last day.
    Last edited by CC; 07-26-10 at 04:25 AM.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

I have to say the Yideng flashback of Yinggu is my favorite. Jin Yong did a great job writing about how the love he yearned for was in her eyes as she gazed at Zhou Botong.

I always thought Jin Yong was not a good writer of romance, but now I think he was pretty good at writing romantic failures.