Thread: Xiao Longnu: Taking Words Literally

Default Xiao Longnu: Taking Words Literally

When Granny Sun told Xiao Longnu to look after Yang Guo "for the rest of his life," Long really took it literally, thinking that if he was on the way to outlive her, then she must kill him, so that she would have taken care of him "for his entire life." Is this taking words too literally?
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    When Granny Sun told Xiao Longnu to look after Yang Guo "for the rest of his life," Long really took it literally, thinking that if he was on the way to outlive her, then she must kill him, so that she would have taken care of him "for his entire life." Is this taking words too literally?
    She just grew up wierd. She was practically alone in the tomb at age 14 when her Sifu died, save for Granny Sun. By that time LMC was banished. Her Sifu was a man-hating wierdo. Growing up like that, no surprise that she's simple-minded and takes things literally.

Anyway, I like XLN to be ruthless with a bit of killer instinct. That's why I prefer Idy Chan's portrayal over Liu Yifei's.

How much older was Li Mo Chou to XLN and LMC to HR?
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

She would have been great for ARTS.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    How much older was Li Mo Chou to XLN and LMC to HR?
    In LOCH, when HR trapped OYF in the Peach Blossom formation at the Lu Manor (which was burned down by OYF subsequently), the Lu family was not in as they had gone to the Cheng family for matchmaking.

So I guess at that time, LMC just got rejected by the Lu guy. She was probably around 18-20 (and YG was a developing foetus inside MNC), slightly older than HR.

When YG got sent to Quanzhen at 14, XLN just turned 18. So I guess by that time, LMC was about 32-34. So she's 14-16 years older than XLN.

Quote Originally Posted by xiaolong View Post
    She just grew up wierd. She was practically alone in the tomb at age 14 when her Sifu died, save for Granny Sun. By that time LMC was banished. Her Sifu was a man-hating wierdo. Growing up like that, no surprise that she's simple-minded and takes things literally.

Anyway, I like XLN to be ruthless with a bit of killer instinct. That's why I prefer Idy Chan's portrayal over Liu Yifei's.
    I thought Liu Yifei looked more cold and ruthless than Idy Chan did. Idy had a very sleepy look about her - maybe it was her double eyelids.

Quote Originally Posted by xiaolong View Post
    In LOCH, when HR trapped OYF in the Peach Blossom formation at the Lu Manor (which was burned down by OYF subsequently), the Lu family was not in as they had gone to the Cheng family for matchmaking.

So I guess at that time, LMC just got rejected by the Lu guy. She was probably around 18-20 (and YG was a developing foetus inside MNC), slightly older than HR.
    As hard as it is to believe, the Luk and Ching families in LOCH were completely unrelated to the Luk and Ching families in ROCH.

The LOCH Luk Family featured Luk Sing Fung as its patriarch. Luk Sing Fung was one of East Heretic Wong Yerk See's original students, crippled and banished from Peach Blossom Island by his teacher in a fit of rage after Mui Chiu Fung and Chan Yeun Fung had stolen the 9 Yum Jen Ging. Luk Sing Fung relocated to Lake Tai and founded Returning Clouds Manor, where Gwok Jing and Wong Yung stayed as guests for a time during LOCH. Luk Sing Fung's son was Luk Gwoon Ying, who married a girl named Ching Yiu Ga. In ROCH, Luk Gwoon Ying reappears as the Lord of Luk Family Manor in Dai Sing Kwan (the Returning Clouds Manor at Lake Tai having been burned down by West Poison Au Yeung Fung during LOCH), where he helped Gwok Jing to host the Heroes' Conference for establishing wulin resistance to the Mongolian invasion.

The ROCH Luk Family was from Ga Hing Village (home of the Gong Nam 7 Freaks and young Yeung Gor, and the site of Iron Spear Temple, where Yeung Hong died). Luk Tzin Yeun was Lee Mok Sau's old lover who left her for another woman named Ho Yeun Gwun (who was somehow related to Mo 3 Tung). The Ching Family (unrelated to Ching Yiu Ga's family from LOCH) were their relatives (hence, Ching Ying and Luk Mo Seung being cousins). Despite the shared surnames, however, these ROCH Luks and Chings were unrelated to the LOCH Luks and Chings.

I think Jin Yong ran out of surnames.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    I thought Liu Yifei looked more cold and ruthless than Idy Chan did. Idy had a very sleepy look about her - maybe it was her double eyelids.
    I agree, LYF has a serene look about her...with a very smooth young face. Simple minded makes me think that she's dumb...think maybe it's better stated as really straight forward haha. She grew up with Granny Sun though, so how could she have been so "literal"? Surely, Granny Sun was not like that?
    I like me.

for once can we not bring up Idy, Carman or LYF whenever XLN is mentioned. I'm a devoted XLN fan!!! RANT RANT RANT

well now...i think in the book it did mention a couple of times that XLN was never lied too during her stages of growing up, so she pretty much accepted things as they were told to her. Also, the only people she spoke to were all very straight forward people who didn't speak in 'flowery' terms so taking things literally wouldn've been a given.

i actually found nothing wrong with that...I think even HR realised the fact very early on so spoke to her straight instead of beating around the bush.
    Currently in love with Bae Suzy...for superficial reasons.

she's a bit naive. but that's what make her lovely and interesting.

And that is why I quite liked XLN's conversations at times. She lives in her own "Logic" that you can't really convince her with other reason. Another one I liked from her was when ZZJ tried to tell her that YZP/ZZB is the one she should kill since he's the one that did her wrong and she goes, "Oh, I'll just kill you both". Too bad JY didn't keep her "no nonsense" attitude consistent.
    Last edited by Ren Ying Ying; 08-01-10 at 08:58 PM.

well, XLN is quite consistence with her attitude throughout the book except when she's with YG.

In 2nd edition, Jin Young added the part where Granny Sun also tried to tell Yang Guo to also take care of XLN for life. Then in the 3rd edition, it was more explicit. Granny Sun was able to tell Yang Guo clearly that she wanted him to take care of XLN for life before she died. But I don't recall Yang Guo or XLN remember or recall that part at all? So why did Jin Yong made the change in the 3rd edition to make it clear of Granny Sun dying wish was not for XLN to take cae of Yang Guo for life, but also for Yang Guo to take care of XLN for life?