Thread: The Deer and The Cauldron

This was actually very funny part of the story to me even though I did not understand 70% of the flowery speeches. I always thought the serials played out the court chorusing too simplistically with everyone just eyeing WXB to see what to say. So it turns out that the script is pretty much what happens in the books but could not convey that the officials all knew it was an act between WXB and KX. Just couple more generations of these political savvy folks with no original ideas will bring down any dynasty!

Updateeesss! I didn't read the past updates, and now there's more! . So I have more fun stuff to read lol.

Thanks!

Shouldn't the "king" be translated as "prince"?

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Thanks again!

Couldn't understand the imperial edict, but the later paragraphs clarified that they wanted Prince Wu to return to Beijing [after removing the defense].

Love the last para where everybody was looking at WXB to go back to Yunnan, making him panic [again]!

Default Chapter 37 - Part 4

Anh, Drak, you are welcome. Smurf, it’s hard to see what’s going on inside the characters’ mind in the adaptation. Ycb, I believe you are right, i.e. Kangxi wanted them to return to Beijing. Han, are you referring to Ping Xi Wang only, or other ‘kings’ as well? Just like WXB, I am uneducated in literature, I simply translated the word as the dictionary says. There is only one translation for ‘king’, i.e. ‘wang’, while there are several different words for ‘prince’, e.g. wangzi, taizi, huangzi, qinwang. When do I have to use ‘prince’ and when do I use ‘king’? In Ping Xi Wang’s case, he was granted the title ‘king’ (above ‘duke’, below ‘Emperor’), hence I used the word ‘king’.

Ming Zhu saw Wei Xiaobao’s ashen countenance, he deduced correctly that Wei Xiaobao did not dare to go; thereupon he said, “Your Majesty, please understand: with regard to the ability to talk really well, Dutong Wei Xiaobao is very competent. However, Wei Dutong hates the wicked as if they were his personal enemies; knowing that Wu Sangui disrespected the Emperor, he hates him to the bones. If he sees even half of his face, he would reprimand Wu Sangui immediately; I am afraid that he might spoil this important matter. In your servant’s humble opinion, it would be better to send the Ministry of Rites’ assistant minister Zhe’erken, and Imperial Hanlin Academy Xueshi [equivalent to bachelor’s degree] Da’erli to go to Yunnan and announce the imperial edict. These two people are refined in manner and have fine reputation, they might be able to influence mischievous wicked man to a better life; we never know.”

What he said suited Kangxi’s intention, he approved on the spot for Zhe’erken and Da’erli two people to go and announce the imperial decree.

The numerous ministers realized that the Emperor had decided early on to remove the border defense that he even prepared the imperial edict in advance; they all regretted that they spoke good words on Wu Sangui’s behalf earlier. By now they all changed direction, they said many fabricated indictments, that Wu Sangui was big traitor, major criminal, that his crime must not be pardoned.

Kangxi nodded and said, “Although Wu Sangui is bad, it’s unlikely that he would go as far as that. All of us must seek the truth from facts, and handle this matter carefully.” Standing up, he beckoned Wei Xiaobao to follow him into the rear hall.

Wei Xiaobao followed behind the Emperor toward the imperial garden. Kangxi laughed and said, “Xiao Guizi, you are really quite something! If you did not take that bag of pearls and jewels and poured them out on the floor, those damn old fellows would still speak good words about Wu Sangui.”

Wei Xiaobao said, “Actually, Your Majesty only needs to say, ‘Removing the border defense is better’, then everyone would say, ‘Indeed removing the border defense is better’. It’s just that to have them say it with their own mouth is a bit more interesting.”

Kang nodded and said, “Those old fellows are striving to secure their positions, everything they have in their mind cannot be spoken incorrectly. However, as the matter stands, if we let Wu Sangui act whenever he wants to act, everything will be in his hand, and then it will be greatly disadvantageous to us. By removing his border defense first, we may greatly disturb his footsteps.”

“That’s right,” Wei Xiaobao said, “Just like playing Pai Jiu, how can we always let Wu Sangui be the banker? Your Majesty must also throw several throws of dice.”

“Your analogy is correct, we must not let him be the banker all the time,” Kangxi said, “Xiao Guizi, we have thrown the dice, but that fellow Wu Sangui is really not easy to fight. The generals and soldiers under his command are all formidable veterans of a hundred battles. When he deploys his troops in rebellion, if the Han people throughout the world respond to him, that will be bad!”

For the last several years Wei Xiaobao went around all over the country, the number of time he heard Han people cursed the Tatars was indeed not a few. Han people were numerous, for every hundred of Han people, there might not necessarily be one Manchu person. If the Han people throughout the world rose in rebellion, no matter what Manchu people would not be able to resist. However, although the number of people who curses the Tatars was many, there were even more people who detested Wu Sangui. Thinking about this fact, he said, “Your Majesty, please don’t worry. Not one of the Han people throughout the world likes that fellow Wu Sangui. If he wants to revolt, other than his own trusted aides, nobody would support his effort.”

Kangxi nodded. “I have thought about that too,” he said, “Previous Ming’s King Gui ran away to Burma, it was Wu Sangui who captured him and killed him. Wu Sangui wants to rebel, he can only say Han people rebelling against the Manchu, he cannot say fighting the Qing to restore the Ming.” Speaking to this point, he took a short pause, and then asked, “Previous Ming’s Emperor Chongzhen, when did he die?”

Wei Xiaobao scratched his head. “This …” he stammered, “At that time your servant has not been born; actually I am not … not too clear.”

Kangxi laughed aloud. “I was asking blindly,” he said, “At that time I have not been born either. Right, on the anniversary of his death, I will send several Princes and Beilei to go to Chongzhen’s tomb and offer sacrifice, so that the common people throughout the world will be grateful to me and hate Wu Sangui even more.”

“Your Majesty can calculate and scheme like deity,” Wei Xiaobao said, “But if the anniversary of Chongzhen’s death is still some time away, what if Wu Sangui rise in rebellion first?”

Kangxi paced back and forth, and then he smiled and said, “All these times you were on imperial orders to work for me, you have indeed suffered not a few hardships. Mount Wutai, Yunnan, Shen Long Island, Liaodong, and lastly you even went to Luocha Country. This time I am going to send you to a good place, to make up for it.”

Wei Xiaobao said, “The best place in the world is by Your Majesty’s side. As long as I can hear Your Majesty’s voice, I can see Your Majesty’s face, my entire body will be filled with vigor, my heart will be unspeakably comfortable. Your Majesty, this word is absolutely true, it’s not boot-licking.”

Kangxi nodded. “I know it’s the truth,” he said, “I and you, a ruler and his minister, are congenial, that is also predestined affinity. You and I have friendship that goes far to our fights when we were children, this friendship indeed stands out from the masses. When I see you, my heart is also very happy. Xiao Guizi, that half a year when I did not hear anything about you, I thought you drowned in the ocean; I was full of regret, I should have not sent you to take that kind of risk, I was really broken-hearted and grieved.”

Wei Xiaobao was deeply touched. “If … if only I can take care of you for the rest of my life,” he said, with a hint of sob in his voice.

“Alright, alright,” Kangxi said, “I will become the Emperor for sixty years, you will become high-ranking officer for sixty years. We, a ruler and his minister, have kindness and brotherhood, we will carry things through to the end.” It was extremely rare for an emperor to say such word toward his subject. One, Kangxi was young, he spoke frankly; two, he and Wei Xiaobao had been friends since their teenage years, they were mutually since.

Wei Xiaobao said, “You will become the Emperor for a hundred years, I will work for you for a hundred years; whether I become high-ranking official or not, I don’t care.”

Kangxi laughed and said, “Isn’t sixty years as the Emperor enough? One must not not knowing enough is enough.” He paused a moment, and then continued, “Xiao Guizi, this time I am sending you to Yangzhou, to come back to your hometown in silken robes.”

As he heard ‘go to Yangzhou’ three characters, Wei Xiaobao’s heart skipped a beat. “What is ‘come back to one’s hometown in silken robes’?” he asked.

“You have become a high-ranking minister in Beijing,” Kangxi said, “Returning to your hometown to see your relatives and friends, you must create quite a stir; let everybody envy you, won’t that be great? Have your subordinate help you write a memorial to the throne, to have your father, mother, and your household be granted titles, let them be well-regarded, well-off.”

“Yes, yes,” Wei Xiaobao said, “Many thanks for Your Majesty’s kindness.”

Kangxi noticed Wei Xiaobao’s somewhat awkward expression. “Uh, you don’t like it?” he asked.

Wei Xiaobao shook his head, “I like it very much,” he said, “It’s just that … it’s just that I don’t know who my father is.”

Kangxi was taken aback; recalling that his own father had left home to become a monk on Mount Wutai, he felt that the two of them were fellow sufferers who empathize with each other. He patted Wei Xiaobao’s shoulder and said warmly, “When you get to Yangzhou, there is no harm in investigating it slowly. Perhaps the Heaven will have pity on you and let you, father and son, have a reunion. Xiao Guizi, you go to Yangzhou, your mission this time may be very easy to accomplish, I am sending you to build a martyr shrine [忠烈祠 zhong lie ci].”

Wei Xiaobao scratched his head, “Grow chestnut [种栗子 zhong li zi]?” he asked, “Your Majesty, if you want to eat chestnut, I’ll go to the street and buy some for you, sugar-coated deep-fried Liangxiang [town in Beijing municipality] sweet-scented osmanthus chestnut is savory and glutinous; we don’t need to go to Yangzhou to grow some.”

Kangxi roared in laughter. “Damn it,” he said, “Xiao Guizi is unlearned. I said ‘Martyr Shrine’, but you muddle things together and changed it to ‘grow chestnut’. Martyr shrine is a memorial hall, to enshrine and worship loyal minister who was martyred.”

Wei Xiaobao laughed. “Your servant is indeed very stupid,” he said, “Turns out you want me to build something like Guan Di [I am not sure, but I think it refers to Guan Gong (Romance of the Three Kingdoms)] temple.”

“Now you are talking,” Kangxi said, “When the Qing troops entered the Pass, their massacre of Yangzhou and Jiading people was very tragic, to such an extent as to create those ‘Ten Days of Yangzhou’, ‘Three-slaughter of Jiading’, and so on. Thinking about these matters, my heart is always uneasy.”

“The massacre was indeed very tragic,” Wei Xiaobao said, “There were bodies everywhere within Yangzhou’s city wall. Even after ten years, it was not uncommon to find human bones in the wells and in the rivers. But that time I was not even born yet, you have not been born either; the blame cannot be placed on our heads.”

Kangxi said, “You said it right; however, it was my ancestor’s affair, hence it is my affair. At that time, there was this Shi Kefa; have you heard of him?”

Wei Xiaobao said, “Shi Gebu, Shi Daren defended Yangzhou to the death, he was a greatly loyal minister. When the older people of our Yangzhou mentioned him, they all shed some tears. In our courtyards we have a memorial tablet that reads ‘Memorial Tablet of Nine-Tattooed-Dragon Shi Jin[7]’. On the first and the fifteenth of each month, everybody would kowtow to this memorial tablet. I heard people say that it was actually Shi Gebu, but was hidden from the government officials.”

Kangxi nodded, “Loyal minister martyred, leaving behind affection in the people’s hearts,” he said, “Turns out the common people enshrine and worship Nine-Tattooed-Dragon Shi Jin’s memorial tablet, burn incense and kowtow to it, is actually to commemorate Shi Kefa. Xiao Guizi, what kind of courtyard do you have at home?”

Wei Xiaobao’s entire face blushed. “Your Majesty,” he said, “This is actually not too pleasant to hear. In our home we open a brothel, called the Lovely Spring Hall; it is reckoned to be first or second best brothel in Yangzhou.”

Kangxi smiled; in his heart he said, “Your mouth is full of marketplace nonsense, I knew early on that you did not come from any scholar or aristocratic family. This boy is very loyal to me that he did not conceal even this kind of shameful matter from me.”

Actually, by saying that his family opened a brothel or whatever, Wei Xiaobao was merely tooting his horn; his mother was no more than a prostitute, not some brothel proprietress.

Kangxi said, “You present my imperial edict and announce it in Yangzhou. I am commending Shi Kefa’s loyalty to the end in his dedication to the service of his country, loyal to his lord and loving the people, a greatly loyal minister, a great hero and warrior. We, the Great Qing, respect loyal ministers and patriots, while looking down upon rebels and traitors. I am building a nice memorial hall for Shi Kefa, for his bravery as the loyal minister who sacrificed himself defending Yangzhou city in the past, everybody can enshrine and worship him in the memorial hall. Take another three hundred thousand taels, to comfort and aid bereaved families, to give relief to the needy in Yangzhou and Jiading, two cities. I will issue another edict, to excuse there two places from taxes for three years.”

Wei Xiaobao let out a deep breath. “Your Majesty,” he said, “Your grace this time is indeed too great. I must simply kneel down and kowtow to you several times in sincerity and wholeheartedly.” While saying that, he went down on his knees, and ‘dong, dong, dong’ kowtowed three times.

Kangxi laughed and asked, “When you kowtowed to me in the past, you were not being sincere and wholehearted?”

Wei Xiaobao smiled and said, “Sometimes it was sincere and wholehearted, other times it was no more than half-heartedly.”

Kangxi laughed aloud; he did not consider it disobedience. He thought, “Those people who kowtow to me, out of a hundred, perhaps 99 are doing it half-heartedly, yet only Xiao Guizi dares to say it out loud.”

Wei Xiaobao said, “Your Majesty, this stratagem of yours is indeed shooting two birds with one arrow.”

Kangxi laughed and said, “What do you mean shooting two birds with one arrow? It is called ‘one arrow, two golden eagles’. Tell me, which two birds are you talking about?”

“By building this Martyr Shrine,” Wei Xiaobao said, “The Han people under the heavens will know that Your Majesty treats the common people very well. Formerly, the Ta … formerly, the Qing troops massacred Han people in Yangzhou and Jiading randomly, Your Majesty is full of remorse in your heart, and thought of something to make amend. If Wu Sangui rebels, or perhaps Shang Kexi, Geng Jingzhong rise in rebellion, saying they want to restore the Ming Dynasty or whatever, common people will say, what’s not good about the Manchurian Qing? The Emperor is very good.”

Kangxi nodded. “You are right,” he said, “But you are a bit ‘gauging the abdomen of a gentleman with a lowly man’s heart’. I think that ‘Ten Days of Yangzhou’ and ‘Three Massacres of Jiading’ of the past were definitely the sorrow of their hearts; sending out money to comfort and aid bereaved families and reducing taxes, it is not entirely for the sake of buying the hearts of the people. So what’s the second bird?”

Wei Xiaobao said, “Your Majesty builds this memorial hall, everybody will know that being a loyal minister and a patriot is good, being a rebel and a traitor is not good. Wu Sangui wants to rebel, he is a rebellious thief, hence the common people will look down on him.”

Kangxi reached out to slap Wei Xiaobao’s shoulder heavily; he laughed and said, “Right! We must proclaim it without restraint, loyal subjects who repay their lord are good people. Of the common people in the world, which one is willing to become a bad person? If Wu Sangui does not deploy his troops, then that’s the end of it; but if he does, nobody will follow him.”

[7] Shi Jin is a fictional character in the Water Margin. He ranks twenty third of the thirty Heavenly Spirits of the 108 Liangshan heroes and is nicknamed Nine Tattooed Dragons. He is one of the Eight Tiger Cub Vanguard Generals of the Liangshan cavalry. He sports flowery tattoos all over his body, as well as nine dragon tattoos on his upper torso, which earns him the nickname Nine Tattooed Dragons. (Courtesy of Ace High)
    Last edited by foxs; 06-18-12 at 11:10 AM.

I really enjoy this passage. Shows the deep friendship between WXB and Kangxi really well. This theme is the most powerful one in the story. Pulls at the heart.

Thanks for all your hardwork, foxs!

Thanks foxs

Quote Originally Posted by tweety365 View Post
    I really enjoy this passage. Shows the deep friendship between WXB and Kangxi really well. This theme is the most powerful one in the story. Pulls at the heart.

Thanks for all your hardwork, foxs!
    I agree. WXB and KX friendship is one of the best parts of the novel. It feels deeper than most romantic relationships in the JY universe.

Yep... it's so touching, a genuine friend ship between an emperor and a subject.
    It is real between 2 youngsters.
    It also goes to show how astute the young emperor is

Thanks Foxs. I'm away from office and home.....
    cheerio..

thank you for the translation.. it's really great

Default Chapter 37 - Part 5

Tweety, Smurf, Crazee, I thought you guys love the 'actions' more ... Anh, you are welcome. Sauki, welcome to the forum. I am glad you like it.

This part gives us a bit more explanation on WXB's real rank in the Qing government. I browsed ahead and found that for the next foreseeable future, we will see details that the official translation omitted. I love translating parts like this.

Wei Xiaobao said, “I heard the storytellers told the tales, the most amazing loyal minister and patriot, one was Yue Fei, Yue Yeye [grandpa], the other was Guan Di, Guan Wangye. Your Majesty, this time we go to Yangzhou to build Martyr Shrine, it would be better to also repair Yue Yeye, Guan Wangye’s memorial halls.”

Kangxi laughed and said, “Your mind is exceptionally quick; it’s a pity that you don’t read books, you don’t have knowledge. Repairing Guan Di Temple is very good; Guan Yu repaid his lord with loyalty, he had strong yi qi, I can grant him an honorary title. But that Yue Fe fought Jin troops. Our Great Qing was originally called Later Jin (Dynasty). Jin is Qing, Jin troops are Qing troops. This Yue Wang [King Yue] Temple, you don’t need to pay attention.”

“Yes, yes, so that’s how it is,” Wei Xiaobao replied; in his heart he mused, “Turns out you, Tatars, are Jinwuzhu, Hamichi’s descendants. Your ancestors are very disappointing.”

Kangxi said, “Henan Province’s Wangwu Mountain, there seem to be a group of troops and horses who lean toward Wu Sangui, is that right?”

Wei Xiaobao was startled. “That’s right,” he replied, but in his heart he said, “If you did not mention it, I would have forgotten about this matter.”

Kangxi said, “That time you investigated Wu Sangui’s plan to rebel, and sent people to submit memorial to me, I rebuked you instead; do you know the reason?”

Wei Xiaobao replied, “Presumably because we are not prepared to deal with Wu Sangui’s military force yet, thus Your Majesty pretended not to believe, to avoid beating the grass to scare the snake.”

Kangxi laughed. “Correct!” he said, “Beat the grass to scare the snake, you have used this idiom correctly. In the imperial court, Wu Sangui must have a lot of confidants. This old thief knows our each and every move very clearly. The matter of Situ Bolei of Wangwu Mountain, if I followed up with the investigation at that time, Wu Sangui would definitely find out. If he was alerted, he might dispatch his troops immediately in rebellion. At that time he knew the real situation of the imperial court, but of his military strength, deployment and what have you, I did not have the slightest idea. If we went to war, we would definitely lose. We must know ourselves, and know our enemy, then we will emerge victorious in every battle.”

Wei Xiaobao said, “At that time Your Majesty sent people to scold me a bit, the entire brigade’s officers knew about it. If Wu Sangui had spies in my military camp, they were bound to report to the old fellow. Perhaps in his heart the old fellow snickered at Your Majesty’s muddle-headedness.”

Kangxi said, “This time you go to Yangzhou, take with you five thousand troops and horses, go to Henan’s Jiyuan, take them by surprise, destroy the bandit cave on Mount Wangwu completely. Wu Sangui has supporting troops hidden too close to the Capital, it is calamity within our bosom.”

“That’s much more wonderful,” Wei Xiaobao said happily, “Your Majesty, it would be better for you to personally lead the troops into battle, kill Wu Sangui in an initial show of strength.”

Kangxi smiled and said, “There are only a thousand or two bandits on Mount Wangwu, among those, more than half are the old, the weak, women and children. That man surnamed Yuan was boasting, he said more than thirty thousand men, it’s entirely bogus. I have already sent people go up the mountain to investigate clearly. Against a thousand or so bandits, you want me to personally lead the troops into battle, I will be the laughingstock of the people! Ha ha, ha ha …!”

Wei Xiaobao followed with some hollow laughs, he thought that the young Emperor was indeed very astute, false report of large number would not work on him.

Kangxi said, “On how to exterminate Mount Wangwu bandits, you think about it, come back here in one or two days to make your report.”

Wei Xiaobao complied and withdrew. He pondered it over, “This matter of marching an army and go to war, laozi is not too adept at it. That day in the naval battle I relied on Shi Lang; in the land battle, whom should I rely on? Get it. I should have Guangdong Tidu [local commander] Wu Liuqi as my assistant, I simply must listen to his advice in everything. This man is an expert in fighting battles.” But then he had a second thought, “His Majesty wanted me to think of a good strategy and report to him in one or two days. Going to Guangdong to invite Wu Liuqi and come back here, at least I need a month; there won’t be enough time. In Beijing, who is the expert in fighting battles?”

After thinking for half a day, the number of well-known military leaders in Beijing was actually not a few, but they were mostly Manchu generals; if not they had not received the title ‘Gong’ [duke] or ‘Hou’ [marquis], then they must be high-ranking military officer or local commander. Wei Xiaobao was a lowly Dutong [commander], he could not order them around.

His own nobility title was ‘Bojue’ [count/earl], within the Manchurian Qing system of government, ‘Zijue’ [viscount] was one-pin rank, ‘Bojue’ was above it; it was above the pin rank system, it was even higher compared to the Da Xueshi [great bachelor (master’s degree?)] and Shangshu [8] pin rank. But of course it was an empty title, although he was respected, in reality he did not have real power. He was really young, it was really not easy if he wanted a famous minister or brave general to obey his order.

He paced back and forth in his room, lost in thought. He saw the jade bowl presented by Shi Lang as a gift sitting on the table, and thought, “In Beijing Shi Lang was dissatisfied, hence he came to me for help. The number of dissatisfied military officers in Beijing should be a lot. But those who are dissatisfied and those who have skills may not necessarily be together. Those without skills but enjoy meteoric rise in career advancement, in Beijing there are not a few; I, Wei Xiaobao, am one. Ha ha …!”

Walking over to the table he held the jade bowl with both hands; he thought, “The choice of these four characters ‘jia guan jin jue’ [to confer a title of official position/to be promoted] is very effective; when he sent me this jade bowl, I was a ‘Zijue’, but now I am promoted to ‘Bojue’. What kind of skill do I rely on to be ‘jia guan jin jue’? My biggest skill is boot-licking, patting the young Emperor’s back so that he would feel comfortable. Other than that, laozi’s real skill is damn too ordinary. Looks like people with real skill do not like to flatter; those who like to flatter will be more or less the same as laozi.”

Looking up, he pondered deeply: among his acquaintances, which military officer was unwilling to flatter? Tian Di Hui warriors were heroes who definitely would not flatter casually; but other than his shifu Chen Jinnan and Wu Liuqi, everybody else only knew internal strength and external skill, they could not lead troops and fight a battle. Shifu’s subordinate Lin Xingzhu could fight a battle, too bad he had returned to Taiwan.

Suddenly he remembered something: that day when he and Shi Lang led the troops to Tianjin, and then detoured to Tanggu and went out to sea, the Naval Zongbing [regional commander] Huang Fu fawned on him attentively; yet there was a military officer in Tianjian, one with big beard, who received him with knitted brows and flat mouth, someone who acted as if he was looking down on him, who was not willing to utter even a sentence of boot-licking. Who was that fellow? If at that time he did not pay attention to this military officer’s name, by now naturally he could not remember even more. He mused, “Those who flatter have no skill; this big beard was unwilling to flatter, he must have skills.”

He got an idea; immediately he went to Ministry of War Shangshu yamen to find Shangshu Ming Zhu, asking him to send for a big-bearded officer of the Tianjin Guard Regiment and have him by carriage to Beijing as quickly as possible. This big beard’s military rank was neither high nor low, if not a Fujiang [deputy general/regional vice-commander, equivalent to brigadier general], then he must be a Canjiang [administrator, equivalent to colonel].

Ming Zhu felt this matter was rather strange; this big beard had no name no surname, how to summon him? However, Wei Xiaobao was presently the Emperor’s most favorite person, forget that he had to send for a military officer from Tianjin, even something ten times more difficult, he must find a way to accomplish it; with a smile on his face he complied at once. He personally wrote a ‘600-li urgent message’ to the Tianjin Guard Regiment Zongbing, ordering him to send all military officers with big beard under his command to go to Beijing and have an audience at the Ministry of War.

Around noon the next day, Wei Xiaobao had just finished his lunch when his personal guard came in to report that Ministry of War Shangshu was asking for an audience. Wei Xiaobao went to the front door to welcome the visitor, he saw Ming Zhu and about twenty big bearded military officers behind him; some had black beard, some white beard, some grizzled beard. All of them were covered in sweat and dust. Ming Zhu said, “Wei Jueye [master noble], you instructed me to summon a man, Xiongdi found a group of men. Please make the selection yourself, I don’t know which one you wanted.”

Suddenly seeing these many big-bearded military officers, Wei Xiaobao was startled, and then he could not help but bursting in laughter. “Shangshu Daren,” he said, “I only ask you to find a big-bearded man, you are handling this matter really thoroughly. Once you looked for people, you found twenty. Ha ha, ha ha …!”

Mingzhu said with a laugh, “I was afraid I might summon the wrong person, not the one Wei Jueye has in your mind.”

Wei Xiaobao roared in laughter again; he said, “Turns out under Tianjin Guard Regiment Zongbing there are so many men with big beard …” He had not finished speaking, someone from among the crown suddenly bellowed in his thundering voice, “So what about the big beard? You created a lot of trouble just for a joke?”

Wei Xiaobao and Ming Zhu were shocked; they turned their heads toward that man. They saw a tall and sturdy man; standing among the other military officers, he was still half a head taller. There was an angry look on his entire face, his thick big beard looked as if they were standing up from the roots. Wei Xiaobao was startled, but then he delightedly said, “That’s right, that’s right, it’s precisely laoxiong [ol’ big brother] that I wanted to see.”

The big beard angrily said, “Last time you came to Tianjin, I have offended you. I knew early on that you would retaliate to vent your anger. Humph, I have not committed any crime; if you want to lodge an accusation against me, I am afraid it won’t be easy.”

“What’s your name?” Ming Zhu rebuked him, “Why are you this rude in front of your superior?”

The big beard had just arrived at the Ministry of War’s yamen and paid his respect to Ming Zhu, hence he knew that Ming Zhu was his big boss; therefore, he did not dare to recklessly contradict him. Immediately he bowed down and said, “Reporting to Daren: lowly officer is Tianjin Fujiang Zhao Liangdong.”

Ming Zhu said, “This is Wei Dutong, whose nobility is revered; he is generous and is a good friend of our ministry. How did you offend him? Quickly step forward and admit your guilt.”

Zhao Liangdong struggled hard to suppress his anger; furiously he cast a sidelong glance toward Wei Xiaobao, thinking, “This playboy’s smell of mother’s milk has not yet dried, why would I want to admit my guilt to you?”

Wei Xiaobao laughed and said, “Zhao Dage, please don’t blame me. It was Xiongdi who offended you, Xiongdi is the one who should admit my guilt to you.” Turning around, he addressed the group of military officers, “Xiongdi has something important I need to discuss with Zhao Fujiang, but momentarily I could not remember his honored surname and great given name, thereupon the Ministry of War Daren invited all of you gentlemen to come to Beijing, tiring everybody in an all-night journey. In actuality I feel very bad.” While saying that he repeatedly cupped his fist and bowed.

The crowd of military officers hastily returned the propriety. Seeing his modesty, which was entirely beyond his imagination, the anger in Zhao Liangdong’s heart vanished immediately; he said to Wei Xiaobao, “Xiaojiang [lowly general] apologize,” and bowed with cupped fist.

Wei Xiaobao returned his salute and said with a laugh, “No need to be polite.” Turning toward Ming Zhu, he said, “Daren, would you honor me with your presence? Please come inside and sit, Xiongdi wants to propose a toast to express my gratitude. Friends of Tianjin Guard Regiment, please also come in.” Ming Zhu had a mind to befriend Wei Xiaobao, hence he happily complied.

Wei Xiaobao prepared a grand banquet; he asked Ming Zhu to sit on the seat of honor [lit. ‘head seat’], and invited Zhao Liangdong to sit on the second seat, while he himself accompanied on the host position. The rest of Tianjin military officers sat on three separate tables. The Count Mansion banquet was extremely sumptuous, the wine made three rounds, the performers put on a play in front of the banquet tables. From the military officers from Tianjin who went to the Capital this time, some were no more than low-rank officers; it was only due to their big beard that they unexpectedly were able to drink wine and watch a play together with Ministry of War Shangshu and Bojue Daren [Lord Count] in the Count Mansion. It was indeed a chance in a lifetime that even in their dreams they did not dare to expect.

Although Zhao Liangdong was temperamental and obstinate, he was a careful man; seeing Wei Xiaobao did not mention anything about what he wanted to discuss during the banquet, he did not ask. He only listened to Wei Xiaobao recounting strange manners and different customs of Luocha Country. He thought, “Little child is talking nonsense, how can there be any man and woman hugging and jumping around in public? How can there be such shameless matter in the world?”

After drinking several cups of wine and watching a round of play, Ming Zhu stood up to take his leave. Wei Xiaobao sent him off to the main gate, and then he returned to the main hall to accompany the military officers until the play was finished and they had drunk and ate to their hearts’ content, before he invited Zhao Liangdong to the inside study room to speak in detail.

Noticing that the bookshelf was full of books, Zhao Liangdong could not help but feeling deep veneration toward Wei Xiaobao, “Although this child is young, he is actually very well-learned; he must be a lot wiser than us, crude people.”

[8] A shàngshū (尚書) is a board chairman, president or in this case, a minister. Ming Zhu is a Chairman/President of Board of War, or the Minister of War, possible the Left Minister of War. (Courtesy of Ace High)
    Last edited by foxs; 06-18-12 at 11:11 AM.

Thanks Foxs It is a really great translatiion

I almost rolled over at WXB's analysis that competent officers are disgusted by boot-lickers. At least he recognizes this about himself and does not pretend otherwise - he is not False Gentleman.

What a treat for the soldiers - one night of wild travel and get to have delicious banquet, good alcohol, and watch opera/play - nice vacation - just for having long beard.

Thanks Foxs!

Wow...XB is honest, at least with himself.
    It takes a bootlicker to understand a bootlicker...as the saying goes.

So Mr Thick beard must be special and lowly down without bootlicking skills.
    How to move up the ladder without the most essential skill ?

Thanks Foxs.... Well, slow action is also interesting if it's part of the plot....unlike the Ah Ke part...mostly reruns if you get what I mean.

Well, I'm back.....
    cheerio..

A shàngshū (尚書) is a board chairman, president or in this case, a minister. Ming Zhu is a Chairman/President of Board of War, or the Minister of War, possible the Left Minister of War.
    Last edited by Ace High; 06-10-12 at 10:28 PM.
    You plant a garden and the flowers do not bloom, you poke a stick in the mud and it grows into a tree

The interaction between WXB and the Emperor really gives one a warm feeling. Great translation, almost feel like I am reading in chinese.

Thanks again Foxs!

Thanks Foxs! Hee I'm enjoying the translations

Funny character. First this Zhao fellow underestimates Xiaobao, next mistakes the illiterate to be well-learned. At least I admit he is resourceful in considering a competent military leader, despite the amusing process. I wonder if imperial seals were available to grant temporary carte blanche, so he could order superior generals in the bandit expedition.

Thanks for the translations, Foxs. I've thought about buying Minford's books, but I couldn't stand all the changes made in his translations so I refrained from doing so. A literal translation doesn't flow as smoothly as his work, but it retains the flavor and the tone of the original Chinese much better. I've already read this novel twice, and now you're making me read it again!

I've always felt that this is Jin Yong's masterwork, and this is probably the best way for non-Chinese reader to appreciate it. Some of the TV adaptations have been good, but the Deer and the Cauldron is the hardest of his books to adapt, and all of them have lacked some of the strengths only found in the original.

Quote Originally Posted by 9Dragons View Post
    Funny character. First this Zhao fellow underestimates Xiaobao, next mistakes the illiterate to be well-learned. At least I admit he is resourceful in considering a competent military leader, despite the amusing process. I wonder if imperial seals were available to grant temporary carte blanche, so he could order superior generals in the bandit expedition.
    They do exist. Xiaobao had one the first time he was dispatched on a mission to Wutai mountain.

Default Chapter 37 - Part 6

Anh, ycb, Owl, Toasted, thank you for the confirmation that my objective is met. In this project, I made a very conscious effort to stay as close as possible to the original. Smurf, Crazee, 9Dragons, this fellow was only mentioned by name in the official translation, I did not know he had such an important part. Ace, thanks, I'll add your info to the other post. Oh, and welcome to the forum Toasted.

Seeing his eyes were on the books, Wei Xiaobao laughed and said, “Zhao Dage, let me be honest with you: these books are here to keep up appearances only. The number of characters that Xiongdi knows, added together is less than ten. My own name ‘Wei Xiaobao’, three characters, if they are put together, I always recognize them; but put them apart, there’s no guarantee I would know them. Apart from those characters, I have no choice but to watch these damn books helplessly.”

Zhao Liangdong burst into loud laughter; he relaxed considerably, thinking that this young commander was actually very frank, he did not put on airs. “Wei Daren,” he said, “Lowly officer has offended you previously, please don’t take any offense.”

Wei Xiaobao laughed and said, “What offense? There is no harm in you and I become brothers. You are older, I call you Zhao Dage, you call me Wei Xiongdi.”

Zhao Liangdong hastily stood up and bowed with cupped fist. “Dutong Daren must not speak such words,” he said, “Xiaoren is too undeserving.”

Wei Xiaobao laughed, “Please sit down, please sit down,” he said, “I just have good luck, I happened to accomplish some matters which satisfied His Majesty and made him happy; you still think I really have some dog fart skill? I became this high-ranking official, honestly I am very ashamed. How could I be like Zhao Dage, who gain merit by hard work, one saber one spear at a time, completely depending on your real skill to achieve it.”

Zhao Liangdong was very pleased to hear him. “Wei Daren,” he said, “I am a coarse man, whatever it is that you want, do not hesitate to instruct me. As long as Xiaojiang can do it, I will definitely stake my life in doing it for you. Even if it is impossible for me to achieve it, I will still stake my life in doing it.”

Wei Xiaobao was greatly delighted. “I don’t have anything important,” he said, “It’s just that last time at the Tianjin Guard Regiment I saw Zhao Dage, I noticed your grand appearance, a model of a man of talent. I was the imperial envoy minister, everybody else was patting my behind, only Zhao Dage was unwilling to sell your integrity.”

Zhao Liangdong looked rather awkward, he said, “Xiaojiang is an uncouth military man, I am not good in flattering my superiors; it was not that I deliberately wanted to be rude to the imperial envoy minister.”

“I did not mind at all,” Wei Xiaobao said, “Otherwise, I would not ask you to come here. I have a logical explanation: those without any skills will have no choice but to rely of flattery to be promoted and gain wealth; those who are unwilling to flatter must be people with real skill.”

Zhao Liangdong delightedly said, “Indeed Wei Daren’s word is extremely refreshing. Xiaojiang does not have any skill, but when I hear people tooting their horn and patting the horse’s butt, I would become angry, and thus offended my superior and had a row with my colleague. The reason I cannot win a promotion, is precisely due to this stubbornness [orig. ‘ox temperament’].”

“You are not willing to flatter, you must have skills,” Wei Xiaobao said.

Zhao Liangdong’s jaw dropped; he did not know what to say, he only thought, ‘my father and mother who gave birth to me did not know me as well as Wei Daren.’

Wei Xiaobao ordered another banquet in his study room; the two of them sat face-to-face, drinking and chatting. Zhao Liangdong told him about his lot in life; he was a native of Shaanxi, started his career as a leader of a squad of five soldiers, he advanced bravely in battles, amassing merit and gained promotion until he reached the rank of Fujiang. Hearing he was adept in fighting battles, Wei Xiaobao was greatly delighted; he mused, “I really did not misread this man.” Thereupon he asked him about how to attack the enemy on a mountaintop.

Zhao Liangdong did not read any military book, but he was battle trained, his experience was extremely vast; as soon as he heard Wei Xiaobao’s question, he thought his skill was being tested. Like an unceasing torrent he immediately talked with great gusto; he took down the four books and five classics from the bookshelf, and spread it around on table, using the books to model mountain peak, valley, river, and pathways. He explained where to set up ambush, where to feign an attack, where to intercept the enemy, where to assault; one by one he explained in great detail.

What he explained was a battle strategy where presumably both sides have equal strength. Wei Xiaobao asked, “If the enemy only has one thousand men, and we have five thousand troops and horses, how do we attack to guarantee victory?”

“There is no such thing as guaranteed victory,” Zhao Liangdong replied, “But our military strength is several times bigger than the enemy’s; if it were Xiaojiang who is leading the troops, if we lost, how could we consider ourselves human beings? We simply must capture the enemy alive, don’t let even one escape our net; only then will it be great.”

Wei Xiaobao ordered his servant to get several thousand-wen worth of copper coins, which he used as troops and horses. Zhao Liangdong thus spread it out to make battle formation. Wei Xiaobao memorized everything he said. That night he had Zhao Liangdong stayed in his Mansion for the night.

The next day he saw Kangxi, he imitated Zhao Liangdong by spreading the formation around the Upper Study Room. He did not dare to recklessly move the Emperor’s books, as long as he could roughly capture the scope, it would be good enough.

Kangxi pondered for half a day. “Who taught you this strategy?” he asked.

Wei Xiaobao did not conceal the truth, he told Kangxi about Zhao Liangdong. Hearing that Ming Zhu summoned twenty some big bearded military officers to travel overnight from Tianjin to Beijing just to let Wei Xiaobao select one, Kangxi could not help but burst out in loud laughter. “How did you know Zhao Liangdong has skill?” he asked.

Wei Xiaobao did not dare to say that it was because this big beard was unwilling to flatter. He himself was the ‘big king’ of bootlicking; naturally he could not let the Emperor know this trade secret. Thereupon he said, “Last time Your Majesty sent your servant to Tianjin, I noticed that this big beard performed the military drill very well. I thought that the day will come that we must deal with Wu Sangui’s troops movement, this big beard is a very good talent.”

Kangxi nodded and said, “You have how to deal with Wu Sangui constantly in your mind; that is very good. Those old fellows in the imperial court, humph, they have how to curry favor with Wu Sangui constantly in their minds, how to get him to bribe them. That Zhao Liangdong is currently a Fujiang, isn’t he? When you return, promise him that you will do your best to ensure that he will get good recommendation for promotion. I will especially issue an imperial edict to promote him to Zongbing, let him owe you, so that in the future he will help you in your mission with all his heart.”

Wei Xiaobao was delighted, “Your Majesty is very considerate toward your subjects, you are very meticulous.”

Returning to his Count Mansion, he told Zhao Liangdong about the promotion. Sure enough, a few days later the Ministry of War issued a statement, promoting Zhao Liangdong to be a Zongbing, assigned to serve under Dutong Wei Xiaobao. Zhao Liangdong was deeply grateful, thinking that following this young boss, even without flattery he could enjoy rapid promotion; indeed it was the number one great pleasure of one’s life.

In recent days the high-ranking ministers of the imperial court were waiting for the news whether the three border defenses accepted the imperial order of the removing of the defenses, or they would rise in rebellion; in their hearts they were quite anxious.

One day Wei Xiaobao was chatting with Zhao Liangdong in his mansion when someone came to ask for an audience; the Prince Consort Wu Yingxiong invited him to his mansion for little drink and refreshments. The messenger was Wu Yingxiong’s personal attendant; he said, “Prince Consort has not seen Wei Daren for a long time, he is very concerned; he is asking Wei Daren for the honor of your presence. Prince Consort said that the ‘thank-the-matchmaker’ wine has not been drunk by you, Senior.”

Wei Xiaobao thought, “This Fuma Ye [emperor’s son-in-law] has a name but no reality, you want to thank what matchmaker? However, speaking about this word ‘thank you’, you guys surnamed Wu cannot simply settle your matter with me over a cup of wine. There is no harm in going, here’s a chance to get rich easily, why not?” Therefore, taking Zhao Liangdong along with his personal guards from the Valiant Cavalry Brigade, he went to the Prince Consort’s mansion.

After Wu Yingxiong got married with Princess Jianning, he was given a residence in Beijing, which was different from the temporary residence he used to stay when he visited Beijing in the past. Leading several military officers, Wu Yingxiong went out the main gate to greet him. “Wei Daren,” he said, “We are brothers, today we are going to chat, there is no other guest. I only have these several friends who have just arrived from Yunnan, I invited them over to accompany Zhao Zongbing drinking wine.”

The military officers introduced themselves. One man grew long beard, his appearance majestic; he was Yunnan’s Tidu [local commander] Zhang Yong. The other two were Fujiang; the one with valiant expression was Wang Jinbao, the one with mild and deferential appearance was Sun Sike. Wei Xiaobao pulled Wang Jinbao’s hand and said, “Wang Dage, you are a treasure [‘bao’], I am also a treasure, but you are a Dabao [big treasure], I am a Xiaobao [little treasure]. The two of us brothers are ‘a pair of treasures’, we can only make a kill without having to compensate.” [Translator’s note: the context is (you guess it) gambling.] The three generals from Yunnan roared in laughter. They were delighted to see Wei Xiaobao was so easy-going.

“Zhang Dage,” Wei Xiaobao asked Zhang Yong, “Last time Xiongdi went to Yunnan, how come I did not see the three of you?”

Zhang Yong replied, “At that time Wangye happened to send Xiaojiang, three people, go out on border patrol, we could not be in Kunming to wait upon Wei Daren.”

“Ay, what Daren, Xiaojiang?” Wei Xiaobao said, “Let’s just be straightforward; I call you Zhang Dage, you call me Wei Xiongdi. We are brothers who are happy to meet by chance!”

Zhang Yong laughed and said, “If Wei Daren say it that way, how can we dare to do it?”

They were chatting and laughing as they went into the reception hall. As soon as they were seated, the servants appeared to serve them tea. Another servant came to Wu Yingxiong and said, “Princess is asking the Prince Consort to accompany Wei Daren to come in for a visit.”

Wei Xiaobao’s heart was thumping madly, he thought, “Maybe I should not see this Princess.” He recalled the time she and he together during their journey to Yunnan, along the way ‘the wind and the light were charming and gentle’, just like newly married couple; he could not stop his blood from boiling and bubbling up inside him, his face turned deep red.

Wu Yingxiong laughed and said, “Princess often says that our marriage, predestined by fate was brought together by Wei Daren; we simply must present the ‘thank-the-matchmaker’ cup of wine to you.” Finished speaking he stood up and said to Zhang Yong and the others with a laugh, “Gentlemen, please sit and relax here.” Accompanied by Wei Xiaobao, he went into the inner hall.

Passing through two halls, they arrived at the wing. Wu Yingxiong held his hand against the door, with serious expression on his face, he said, “Wei Daren, I have a big favor I must ask for your help.”

Wei Xiaobao’s face turned red again; he thought, “You were castrated by the Princess, you can’t be a husband, do you want me to do you this big favor?” He stammered, “This … this … this is rather improper.”

Wu Yingxiong was taken aback, “If not for Wei Daren lending your hand for the sake of loyalty, helping us in this dire distress, who else has this kind of ability?”

Wei Xiaobao looked even more embarrassed; he thought, “The Princess must have forced him to ask me; otherwise, why would she insist on me and not allow others to help?”

Looking at Wei Xiaobao’s strange expression, Wu Yingxiong thought he was unwilling to lend his hand. “This matter,” he said, “I understand it is very difficult to do. But if we succeed, Fu Wang [father king] and Xiongdi will never forget Wei Daren’s favor.”

Wei Xiaobao thought, “Why would even Wu Sangui be grateful to me?” Ah, right, Wu Sangui does not have any grandson, he wants me to help him get one. But whether I can get him a grandson or not, I have no guarantee.” He said, “Fuma Ye, I cannot guarantee anything. Wangye and you want to thank me in advance, if I fail, won’t I let you down?”

“Not a big deal, not a big deal,” Wu Yingxiong said, “As long as Wei Daren is doing everything in your power, we, father and son, will be grateful just the same. Even the Princess will also be deeply grateful.”

Wei Xiaobao laughed and said, “You want me to really put out my energy for you, that is for sure.” And then he continued in serious voice, “Regardless of success or failure, I will definitely guard my mouth like a closed bottle; Wangye and Prince Consort can set your hundred and twenty hearts at ease.”

“Naturally,” Wu Yingxiong replied, “Who would dare to leak the secret? I must ask for Wei Daren’s kind effort, the quicker the better.”

Wei Xiaobao smiled and said, “Can’t we just do it now?” Suddenly he remembered something, “Aiyo, it’s not right! I am helping him to get a son is not a big deal, but he, father and son, are going to rebel, inevitably they will be executed unto the third generation. Won’t that mean including my son’s head will be chopped down?” But then he had another thought, “The young Emperor can’t possibly kill Princess Jianning. To the Princess’ son he will naturally also open up two sides or three sides of the net.”

Seeing Wei Xiaobao’s expression alternated between gloomy and bright, Wu Yingxiong took a step forward and said in a low voice, “The news of border defense removal has not reached Yunnan yet, Zhang Tidu and the others do not know. If Wei Daren can hurry to see Your Majesty and speak to him to withdraw the order to remove the border defense, we can send a ‘600-li urgent message’ to Yunnan, the edict to remove the border defense can still be intercepted and withdrawn.”

Wei Xiaobao was startled. “You … you are talking about the border defense removal?” he asked.