Thread: The Deer and The Cauldron

It is very impressive that WXB could memorize a complex strategy complete with troops positioning and movement on the go.
    You plant a garden and the flowers do not bloom, you poke a stick in the mud and it grows into a tree

Thanks foxs

Hahahaha I can't believe what WXB was thinking LOL

I suppose one of XB's strong traits is that he is humble and accepts everyone...from the top to the bottom without be too judgemental on their status.

He is always willing to accept brotherhood with anyone who will be of help to him and it's not always a calculated one.

Thanks Foxs.

Your translations are always better than what is commercially available. I suppose it's because of your love for a true translation that makes it beautiful.....and in that sense, I suppose your love for use followers as well...heh heh heh.
    cheerio..

Default Chapter 37 - Part 7

Ace, I believe it was Smurf who wrote similar sentiment. I always wonder about that too, for example, during LOCH, Guo Jing was able to memorize the entire Jiu Yin, and after many years still remembered it. I may be able to memorize one page if I read it dozen of times, but after a couple of days, I would forget it if I did not constantly reciting it. Anh, you are welcome. Owl, . Crazee, you learned your bootlicking skill from WXB, didn't you? No, my translation is closer to the original because I cannot make up good sentences on my own. What do you expect? I am an engineer. Engineers are never known for our eloquence. Another short update, the end of Chapter 37.

“That’s right,” Wu Yingxiong replied, “What other matter at present is more important than the border defense removal? It can be said that toward Wei Daren, His Majesty would see, hear and obey; only if Wei Daren act will we be able to pull the back the raging tide.”

Wei Xiaobao thought, “Turns out I misunderstood completely; it’s really funny.” He could not help but roaring in laughter.

Wu Yingxiong was bewildered. “Why does Wei Daren laugh? Did I say anything wrong?” he asked.

“No, no,” Wei Xiaobao hastily said, “I am sorry, I suddenly remember something funny.”

Wu Yingxiong’s face showed a rather hurtful look; he secretly gnashed his teeth in anger, “Right now I have to bear your savageness, wait till Fu Wang raise up his righteous banner, we will sweep our way to Beijing. You, this boy will be captured; it will be a wonder if I don’t hack you into pieces.”

Fuma Ye,” Wei Xiaobao said, “Early in the morning tomorrow, I am going to kowtow to His Majesty, I will tell him that Prince Consort Wu is His Majesty’s younger sister’s husband, Ping Xi Wang is His Majesty’s honorable relative; even if he will no longer confer a title or official position, he must not take away his honorable relative’s title of nobility, since doing that will wrong the Princess.”

“Yes, yes,” Wu Yingxiong happily said, “Wei Daren’s brain moves so fast, in just a short while you are able to come up with great argument; please do as you suggested. Let us see the Princess now.”

He led Wei Xiaobao to the Princess’ door and asked for an audience. From the Princess’ room a palace maid came out, inviting Wei Xiaobao to wait in the reception pavilion at the side of the room. Not too long afterwards the Princess came out to the pavilion. “Xiao Guizi,” she sternly said, “You did not see me for such a long time; you want to die? Get lost!”

Wei Xiaobao laughed and paid his respect; he said with a laugh, “Princess, may you have ten thousand good fortune and peace like gold. Xiao Guizi is thinking about Princess daily, it’s just that His Majesty sent me out on a mission all the way to Luocha Country; I just got back a few days ago.”

Princess’ eyes turned red. “You are thinking about me daily?” she said, “Looking at your craftiness, I … I …” speaking to here, her tears flowed down like rain.

Wei Xiaobao noticed the Princess’ jade countenance was gloomy, her face looked thin and pallid, presumably after she got married to Wu Yingxiong she was depressed. He thought, “This fellow Wu Yingxiong is a eunuch; married to a eunuch, naturally she is not happy.” Seeing the Princess’ situation, and remembering the feeling of the former days, he could not help but feeling tenderness toward her. He said, “Princess misses His Majesty, His Majesty also misses the Princess; in a few days, he is going to invite Princess into the Palace to chat about the sentiment of the brother and sister.” He made up a fake imperial decree; Kangxi had never said anything about the Princess.

For the last several months Princess Jianning had lived in the Prince Consort Mansion, she was extremely bored. Hearing Wei Xiaobao, she was greatly delighted. “When?” she eagerly asked, “Tell Huangdi Gege [big brother Emperor], tomorrow I am going to see him.”

“That’s great!” Wei Xiaobao said, “Prince Consort has something he wanted me to present to His Majesty tomorrow, I’ll present another memorial to ask His Majesty to receive Princess into the Palace.”

Wu Yingxiong was also very happy, “With the Princess helping to talk, His Majesty can’t possibly refuse even more,” he said.

The Princess pouted and said, “Humph, I only talk about daily life of a family with Huangdi Gege, I won’t help you talk about any national affair.”

Wu Yingxiong laughed with her, “Very well,” he said, “Whatever you love to talk, just talk about that.”

The Princess rose up slowly, “Xiao Guizi,” she said, “I haven’t seen you for such a long time, you have grown tall and big. I heard in Luocha Country you have a very good demon miss friend; is that true?”

Wei Xiaobao laughed and said, “How can there be such matter?” Suddenly ‘slap!’ his face was burning, as he took the Princess’ slap on his face. “Aiyo!” Wei Xiaobao cried out and jumped.

The Princess laughed and said, “You speak dishonest words endlessly, you dare to lie to me?” Raising her hand, she wanted to slap him again. Wei Xiaobao leaned sideways to evade, her palm did not strrike him. The Princess said to Wu Yingxiong, “I have something I’d like to question Xiao Guizi, I don’t want you to be here to hear it.”

Wu Yingxiong smiled and said, “Fine, I’ll accompany the military officers outside drinking wine.” He thought that if Wei Xiaobao was taking a beating and he could only look helplessly, it would not be good for his ‘face’; thereupon he withdrew from the reception pavilion.

The Princess reached out to twist Wei Xiaobao’s ear. “Dead little demon,” she shouted, “You have forgotten me.” While saying that, she twisted his ear really hard.

Wei Xiaobao yelped in pain. “No, I have not!” he busily said, “Haven’t I come to see you?”

The Princess’ foot flew up and kicked his lower abdomen. “You have no conscience,” she cursed, “See if I won’t cut you to pieces. If I did not call you to come, even after three years you won’t possibly come to see me.”

Seeing there was no one else in the hall, Wei Xiaobao reached out to embrace her; he said in a low voice, “Don’t punch and kick, tomorrow you and I can chat in the Palace.”

The Princess blushed, “Chatting what?” she asked, “Chatting about you, this little demon!” She reached out toward his forehead and knocked him that he grew a bump the size of a chestnut.

Wei Xiaobao wrapped his arms around her tightly, he said, “I use the move ‘A pair of dragons fighting over a pearl’!” The Princess spat at him and struggled hard to free herself. Wei Xiaobao said, “If we are being intimate in here, I am afraid Fuma Ye will be suspicious. Tomorrow I’ll see you in the Palace.”

The Princess’ cheeks blushed, “What does he suspect?” she said. Her coquettish glances as smooth as silk as she looked at him with the corner of her eyes. With a smile that did not look like a smile she said, “Little demon, get out of here!”

Book Note: During the Jin Dynasty, the pacifying of barbarian region in the present day Qujing, Yunnan area, the classical quotation ‘Imperial Edict of Sichuan Document’ was referring to Han Wudi [Emperor Wu of Han Dynasty (141-87 BC)], when he wanted to communicate with the barbarian in southwest China, he sent Sima Xiangru to visit Bashu [i.e. Sichuan] first to announce the edict, telling the officers and people of southwest region to comply with the imperial decree.
    Last edited by foxs; 06-18-12 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by foxs View Post
    In our courtyards we have a memorial tablet that reads ‘Memorial Tablet of Nine-line Long Shijin’.
    Shi Jin is a fictional character in the Water Margin. He ranks twenty third of the thirty six Heavenly Spirits of the 108 Liangshan heroes and is nicknamed Nine Tattooed Dragons. He is one of the Eight Tiger Cub Vanguard Generals of the Liangshan cavalry. He sports flowery tattoos all over his body, as well as nine dragon tattoos on his upper torso, which earns him the nickname Nine Tattooed Dragons.
    Last edited by Ace High; 06-15-12 at 12:30 AM.
    You plant a garden and the flowers do not bloom, you poke a stick in the mud and it grows into a tree

Fuma Ye,” Wei Xiaobao said, “Early in the morning tomorrow, I am going to kowtow to His Majesty, I will tell him that Prince Consort Wu is His Majesty’s younger sister’s husband, Ping Xi Wang is His Majesty’s honorable parent; even if he will no longer confer a title or official position, he must not take away his honorable parent’s title of nobility, since doing that will wrong the Princess.”
    I think ‘Honourable relative’ is more suitable than ‘Honourable parent’. If ‘parent’, KX will be seen as unfillial if he removed WSG’s title & official position as WSG is his elder. Just like KX could not demote the fake Dowager beforehand although he truly hate her to the bone.

He made up a fake imperial decree; Kangxi had never said anything about the Princess.
    WXB is the only one who can make up fake imperial decrees and get away with it.

Thanks Foxs

[7] The dictionary definitions are gunmen/musketeer (from ‘musket’), but when the word ‘musketeer’ came to my mind, I would imagine Athos, Porthos, Aramis and D’Artagnan; hence I opted to use the first definition.
    Streltsý is the Russian version of musketeers. They were armed with firearms (arquebuses, muskets). They are also collectively known as Marksman Troops (Стрелецкое Войско).

WXB made a pretty bold assumption! LOL!

Thanks Foxs. It's really interesting to read this in English. I really liked this part in the '08 adaptation: Wu Yingxhong would unconciously move his hands to his crotch area when he thought about Princess Jianning.

Out of curiosity, what programs do you use for the translation?

Quote Originally Posted by Ace High View Post
    It is very impressive that WXB could memorize a complex strategy complete with troops positioning and movement on the go.
    Wei Xiaobao has shown himself very good at memorizing martial arts moves and names/faces. He'd be really awesome if he ever decided to apply himself. Of course, the point of his character is that he's way too lazy to do so!

Quote Originally Posted by crazee View Post
    Your translations are always better than what is commercially available. I suppose it's because of your love for a true translation that makes it beautiful.....and in that sense, I suppose your love for use followers as well...heh heh heh.
    The big difference between this and a more professional translation is that the professional version cater to general audiences. And so, the translation should be as familiar to English-language speakers as possible: something along the lines of a translation of The Three Musketeers. For a work that was originally written in a Latin language, this approach works great, but when it comes to Jin Yong's novels, too much of the original flavor is lost. On the flip side, a literal translation ends up being a lot harder for casual readers to absorb. If you're familiar with anime fansubs, it's like the difference between a translation that preserves the honorifics and one that eliminates them.

Quote Originally Posted by smurf120 View Post
    WXB made a pretty bold assumption! LOL!
    It's safer to do so than to keep getting beat up by the Princess! Who knows what that would lead to?
    Last edited by ToastedRossi; 06-13-12 at 04:44 PM.

Ace, I believe it was Smurf who wrote similar sentiment. I always wonder about that too, for example, during LOCH, Guo Jing was able to memorize the entire Jiu Yin, and after many years still remembered it. I may be able to memorize one page if I read it dozen of times, but after a couple of days, I would forget it if I did not constantly reciting it. Anh, you are welcome. Owl, . Crazee, you learned your bootlicking skill from WXB, didn't you? No, my translation is closer to the original because I cannot make up good sentences on my own. What do you expect? I am an engineer. Engineers are never known for our eloquence. Another short update, the end of Chapter 37.
    You ppl are great...can remember for a couple of days.....I can't even remember where I kept my specs when I was wearing it all the time and spent half an hour looking for it everywhere. It was only when I scratch my head that I felt it.....

Well, what do you expect ? Your translation is so nice and accurate...surely some of XB's skills will rub on me....ladies beware....remember XB is supposed to have 7 wives....heh heh heh

Thanks again Foxs.....continuation of his affair?? ....real dangerous, playing with fire.....
    cheerio..

Foxs, I can't thank you enough for your recent translations (Just getting caught up, been busy at work). Not only did Minford not explain the differences b/w the various ranks and titles, but he also never explained how Xiaobao came to meet Zhao Liangdong (or Sun Sike and the others)and how they became such good friends -- it all makes much more sense now. Editing that particular part out just doesn't make sense to me, it adds so much to the story.

I still think the princess is a crazy looney But I guess WXB is into the whole S&M thing

Thank you, foxs.

Quote Originally Posted by tweety365 View Post
    I still think the princess is a crazy looney But I guess WXB is into the whole S&M thing

Thank you, foxs.
    RA stuff coming up ???
    cheerio..

AHHH!! So many updates! I've been visiting from often but didn't want to read yet, but since I'm done with Finals, I can finally relax! ;D.

Time to catch up!

Thanks foxs!

Quote Originally Posted by KChill View Post
    Foxs, I can't thank you enough for your recent translations (Just getting caught up, been busy at work). Not only did Minford not explain the differences b/w the various ranks and titles, but he also never explained how Xiaobao came to meet Zhao Liangdong (or Sun Sike and the others)and how they became such good friends -- it all makes much more sense now. Editing that particular part out just doesn't make sense to me, it adds so much to the story.
    Well, he had to fit all five volumes of the Deer and the Cauldron into just three volumes. Jin Yong's writing is a lot more compact than English to begin with, so a lot had to be cut out.

Quote Originally Posted by tweety365 View Post
    Aside from that, Xiaobao is in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. Having sex with a Princess is a capital offense; but if he doesn't keep her happy, she might tell someone out of spite!

It's sort of funny that despite all of his lechery, Xiaobao has only managed to sleep with Princesses so far.

Default Chapter 38 - Part 1

Ace, thanks for the additional info. Anh, you are welcome. Smurf, it was what in his (dirty) mind. Toasted, I am not sure what do you mean by 'programs'? If software, then internet explorer and MS-Word, if web-site, then mdbg.net (actually, it's online dictionary, their translation engine is Yahoo!Babelfish, which, as you know, won't give you any decent translation). KChill, welcome back, I have been thinking about you, this year being election year and all ... I thought you must be very busy. Tweety, funny thing is, they (WXB & Princess) enjoyed each other. Crazee, what is 'RA'? Drak, I did not realize you have not read this story. Well, enjoy. Toasted, I guess it was not that 'he had to', but toward the end he was kind of lazy and just summarize everything. If you read his first book, it was actually very close to the original. I guess he kind of bit more than he could chew. Here's some more that was not in the official translation.

Chapter 38 – Criss-crossing the field a herd of horses flew across the road, domineering kite streaks across the sky
    (Translated by Foxs)

All smiles Wei Xiaobao returned to the main hall, he saw Wu Yingxiong was chatting with the four generals. Zhao Liangdong and Wang Jinbao were involved in some heated argument on the side; both men were flushed with anger, they talked with raised voice. When they saw Wei Xiaobao, they both stopped. Wei Xiaobao laughed and asked, “What are the two of you arguing about? Can you tell it to me?”

Zhang Yong replied, “We are talking about horses. Wang Fujiang [deputy general] has an original insight in horses, the horses that he picked were always good colts. Just now everybody was talking about the beast of burden, Wang Fujiang praised Yunnan horses as very good. Zhao Zongbing [regional commander] did not believe him, he says that Sichuan horses, Yunnan horses have short legs, they can’t run fast. But Wang Fujiang says that Sichuan horses, Yunnan horses have enduring power, within ten li, they are not any better than other horses, but after running for twenty, thirty li, the more they run, the more they have vigor.”

“Is that so?” Wei Xiaobao said, “Xiongdi has several mounts, would Wang Fujiang please take a look?” He ordered his personal guard to go back to his mansion to fetch several good horses from the stable and bring them here.

Wu Yingxiong said, “Wei Dutong’s mount was given by Prince Kang, a famous Ferghana [orig. Dayuan, Central Asia] colt, called Yu Hua Cong [Jade Flower Buckskin Horse]; how can our Yunnan horses match this horse?”

Wang Jinbao said, “Wei Daren’s horse is naturally a very good horse. Dayuan produces good horses, lowly officer has heard about it. When lowly officer was in Gansu and Shaanxi, I have ridden many famous Ferghana colts. In short distance sprint, they can run very fast, no other horses can compare to them.”

“How about long distance race?” Zhao Liangdong asked, “Are you saying that Ferghana horse cannot beat Yunnan horse?

“Originally, Yunnan horse are not good at all,” Wang Jinbao replied, “But after surviving hardship and hard work, they have enduring strength. These past few years lowly officer has raised horses in northern Yunnan, I mated Sichuan horses with Yunnan horses, and contrary to expectation, the new species is not bad.”

Laoxiong,” Zhao Liangdong said, “You are an amateur. Horses must be purebred; the more pure they are bred, the better the result. I have never heard mixed stallions are better than the purebred.”

Wang Jinbao’s face was bulging red, “Zhao Zongbing,” he said, “I am not saying at all mixed-bred horse are good. There are different uses of horse; some are use to break through enemy lines, some are use to pull heavy military load. Even battle horses are greatly different from each other, some are hundred-li horses, some are thousand-li horses, some are long distance horse, some short distance; they are completely different.”

“Humph,” Zhao Liangdong said, “Surprisingly some people think mixed breed are better.”

Wang Jinbao was furious; he suddenly stood up and shouted, “Who are you calling mixed breed? What a foul-mouthed remark!”

Zhao Liangdong laughed coldly and said, “I was talking about horses, I am not talking about you. Whose breed is not pure, is a thief lacking in conscience; there is no need to get angry without any reason.”

Wang Jinbao was even more furious. “This is the Prince Consort Mansion,” he said, “Otherwise, humph, humph!”

“Humph, humph what?” Zhao Liangdong replied, “You want to fight with me?”

Zhang Yong intervened, “Gentlemen, you have just met each other for the first time; why would you fight over beast of burden? Come, come, come, let me toast both of you a cup, everybody must not fight.” He was a Tidu, his official rank was higher than Zhao Liangdong and Wang Jinbao. The two of them did not dare not to give him some face, they did not have any choice but to drink the wine.

The two of them ‘I stare at you, you stare at me’; if not for the fact that their superiors were present, these two men with fiery temper would definitely fight on the spot.

Shortly after, Wei Xiaobao’s personal guards returned from his mansion, with the stable hand led the horses. Everybody went to the stable at the back of the mansion to look at the horses. Wang Jinbao indeed understood horses, with just a quick look he was able to tell good aspects and weak points of each horse; he was even able to guess each horse’s nature and temperament with about seventy, eighty percent accuracy. The Wei Mansion’s stable hands were very impressed; they all praised Deputy General Wang’s keen insight.

Finally they looked at Wei Xiaobao’s mount, the Jade Flower Buckskin. This horse’s legs were long and fat, it’s appearance was like divine steed, its entire body was snow white with rouge spots everywhere, its coat was smooth and shiny, in short, it was a beautiful horse; everybody cheered incessantly. Wang Jinbao, however, showed neither approval nor disapproval. After looking for a long time, he said, “This horse’s intrinsic quality is superb, it’s a pity that it was raised incorrectly.”

“How was it raised incorrectly?” Wei Xiaobao asked, “Please advise.”

Wang Jinbao said, “Wei Daren’s horse can be counted as a very good colt that is seldom found in the world. This kind of good horse has to be sprinted a dozen li or so, and let I canter several dozen of li every day; the more it is tempered the better. However, Wei Daren treasured it too much, he was unwilling to ride it too much. This beast has passed too much of comfortable days, eaten too much of good refined grain, it is seldom ridden for more than two trips in a year. Ay, what a pity, what a pity; just like the children of rich and noble families, it is too spoiled.”

When Wu Yingxiong heard this, his countenance changed slightly; he uttered a soft ‘humph’. Wei Xiaobao noticed that, and knew that Wang Jinbao’s last few sentences had offended Wu Yingxiong. He thought, “There is no harm in my seizing this chance to sow dissension, let them, Yunnan’s commanders, not get along well with each other.” Thereupon he said, “I am afraid Wang Fujiang is only half right; children on rich and noble families can also have enormous skill. Take Prince Consort for example, he is your Wangye’s Heir Apparent, since childhood he holds golden bowl to eat rice, and jade bowl to drink his soup, yet he is not the least bit spoiled.”

With a bulging red face Wang Jinbao busily said, “Yes, yes. Wangye’s Heir Apparent is naturally not the same. Lowly officer was not talking about Prince Consort.”

With a cold laugh Zhao Liangdong said, “In your heart, I am afraid there is no difference.”

“Zhao Zongbing,” Wang Jinbao angrily said, “Why do you always make life difficult for Xiongdi? Xiongdi did not offend you at all.”

Wei Xiaobao laughed and said, “Alright, don’t harm the friendship over a small matter. As military officers, some people often look down on young high-ranking minister of the imperial court; I have seen it.”

Wang Jinbao said, “Reporting to Dutong Daren: lowly officer does not dare to look down on you.”

“But you look down on the Prince Consort,” Zhao Liangdong said.

“I did not!” Wang Jinbao almost shouted.

“Wang Fujiang,” Wei Xiaobao said, “Too bad that the good horses you raised are all in Yunnan, otherwise you might be able to let us increase our knowledge.”

Wang Jinbao said, “The horses that I raised … yes, yes, I do not dare.”

Wei Xiaobao felt a bit strange, “Why did he called out, ‘yes, yes, I do not dare’?” he mused.

Zhao Liangdong said, “In any case, since Wang Fujiang’s good horses are in Yunnan, the dead cannot testify. Wei Dutong, ourside the Pass, Xiaojiang has also raised several hundred good horses, each one is capable of running three thousand li during the day, running two thousand li at night. It’s a pity that they all far away, I can’t have Dutong Daren take a look at them.” Everybody burst into loud laughter; they knew he was intentionally ridiculing Wang Jinbao.

Wang Jinbao was so angry that his face turned pale; pointing to the stable on his left, he said in a loud voice, “The several dozen of horses over there are precisely the one I brought from Yunnan this time. Zhao Zongbing, you may select ten horses of yours, and randomly pick ten of mine; have the horses compete in leg strength. We’ll see who wins who loses.”

Zhao Liangdong saw the Yunnan horses are thin and small, their coat bald, their skin dry, altogether there were fifty, sixty horses; he thought, “What’s so amazing about your beggar horses?” He said, “Indeed you have a lot of horses, but they are a bit ‘five tuberculosis seven wounded’. I guarantee that if I randomly pull several horses from Wei Dutong’s Mansion, they will surpass Wang Fujiang’s darling treasures that you personally raised.”

Wei Xiaobao laughed and said, “We all are arguing in vain. Prince Consort, let us each pick ten horses, we’ll have a race. Both sides place a bet.”

Wu Yingxiong said, “How can our Yunnan’s little horse compete against Wei Dutong’s Ferghana horse? No need to compete, of course we will lose.”

Wei Xiaobao noticed Wang Jinbao was fuming; his expression shows that he clearly did not accept defeat. Wei Xiaobao said, “Prince Consort admits defeat, but Wang Fujiang does not concede. How about this: I’ll get ten thousand taels of silver, Prince Consort also get ten thousand taels of silver, in a moment we all go outside the city to have a horse race. Whoever wins six races, the rest do not have to race. What do you say?”

Wu Yingxiong was about to decline again, suddenly he had another thought, “This boy is young and eager to win, let me deliberately lose ten thousand taels to him and let him be happy.” Thereupon he laughed and said, “Very well, let’s do it. Wei Daren, if you lose, you must not be angry.”

Wei Xiaobao laughed and said, “Winning must be in style, losing must be graceful; where’s the logic in getting angry when losing?” As he took a glance, he caught Wang Jinbao’s eyes flickered with delight; he thought, “Aiyo, looking at this Wang Fujiang’s expression, he seems to be very sure of victory; could it be that these sickly looking horses really have good endurance? Not good, not good, I must resort to trickery.” In all his life, he loved to cheat at gambling; seeing that in this horse race he might not necessarily win, he immediately cooked up some plan. He thought, “If we have the race today, there won’t be enough time to rig up a scam.” Thereupon he said, “Since we are going to make a bet, I must carefully select the ten horses; how about if we have the race tomorrow?”

Wu Yingxiong had made up his mind not to go all-out, in ten races, he decided to let Wei Xiaobao win eight or nine. Today or tomorrow did not make any difference to him; thereupon he nodded his approval immediately. Wei Xiaobao continued drinking wine and watching the opera in the Prince Consort Mansion, he no longer said anything about the race. He invited Wu Yingxiong, along with Zhang Yong, Wang Jinbao and Sun Sike, three people to come over to his own mansion to have some drink that evening. Wu Yingxiong happily accepted the invitation. They went to Wei Xiaobao’s Count Mansion together.

After they were seated and were offered some light refreshment and tea, Wei Xiaobao excused himself, “Please sit down and enjoy yourselves, Xiongdi needs to make some arrangement.”

Wu Yingxiong laughed and said, “We are family, no need to be polite.”

Wei Xiaobao said, “Honored guests grace me with their presence, I can’t be too shabby and crude in my hospitality.”

Going to the inner hall, he instructed his manager to prepare a feast and theatrical troupe; and then he summoned his mansion’s head stable hand, gave him three hundred taels of silver and said, “My Yu Hua Cong and other horses are still at Prince Consort’s Mansion; go and fetch them back. While you are at it, invite the Prince Consort’s stable hands for a drink; have them drink the damn wine until they are drunk rotten.” The head stable hand complied.

Wei Xiaobao continued, “Give the horses something, make them weary and their legs soft that they won’t have any strength to run. Just don’t poison them dead.”

The head stable hand said, “Whatever it is that Jueye wants, Xiaoren will strive my hardest to do it.”

Wei Xiaobao laughed and said, “I guess it’s not a big deal to tell you: Prince Consort has a batch of horses just arrived from Yunnan. They boast that the horses’ endurance strength is superb. Tomorrow they are going to have a race with us. We cannot let them win over us, can we?”

The head stable hand understood immediately; he laughed and said, “Jueye wants Xiaoren to concoct something and have Prince Consort’s horses eat it, so that during the horse race tomorrow we will win?”

Wei Xiaobao laughed. “Correct,” he said, “You are very smart. In the horse race tomorrow, we have a bet. If we win, I’ll divide the gold and you will get your share. Do this quietly, you must never let Prince Consort Mansion’s stable hands know. Take this three hundred taels of silver, give a dinner party, take them to a drink, to gamble, to visit prostitute, damn it, just do whatever you need to do, make them fall into dark sky and black earth before you drug the horses.”

The head stable hand said, “Jueye set your heart at ease, I won’t make mistake. Xiaoren will go buy several dozen catties of croton seed[1], mixed them inside the pea grain, and feed it to Wu Mansion’s horses, let those horses defecate all night long. In the race tomorrow, even a turtle will outrun them.”

Wei Xiaobao immediately went out to accompany Wu Yingxiong and the others drinking wine. He was afraid when Wu Yingxiong and the others came back, Wang Jinbao would go see the horses and would be able to see through their scheme; hence he attentively served them and constantly urging them to drink more wine. Zhao Liangdong’s drinking capacity was extremely great, all along he had a drinking competition against Wang Jinbao. Very late that night, other than Wei Xiaobao and Wu Yingxiong, the four military commanders were dead drunk.

After the morning audience the next morning, Wei Xiaobao went to the Palace to wait upon the Emperor. Kangxi was smiling from ear to ear, he was in a very good mood. “Xiao Guizi,” he said, “I have good news I want to share with you: Shang Kexi and Geng Jingzhong have accepted the imperial decree of border defense removal. In the coming days they are going to leave for the Capital.”

“Congratulations Your Majesty,” Wei Xiaobao said, “Shang and Geng, two border defenses accepted the imperial decree, that old fellow Wu Sangui’s one palm cannot clap hand …”

Kangxi laughed, “It’s hard to clap with only one hand,” he corrected.

“Right,” Wei Xiaobao said, “It’s hard to clap with only one hand. We’ll beat him that he will be in a sorry state.”

[1] Croton has been used in traditional Chinese medicine to treat severe constipation since the seed of the plant can cause diarrhoea to human. Apparently, it has the same effect on horses. (Courtesy of Ace High)
    Last edited by foxs; 06-18-12 at 11:16 AM.

thanks fox
    Check out WXFS translated comic of Tian Long Ba Bu
    Last updated: 02/04/2008

Croton has been used in traditional Chinese medicine to treat severe constipation since the seed of the plant can cause diarrhoea to human. Apparently, it has the same effect on horses.