Page 13 of 158 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222363113 ... LastLast

Thread: The Deer and The Cauldron

Thanks for the update foxs.

I wonder if this Chen Zhongduozhu is related to Chen Jia Luo of the book and the sword.

Quote Originally Posted by foxs View Post
    Zongduozhu was amazed and amused at the same time. He reached out with his left hand toward Wei Xiaobao's crotch and found that his pen1s and testicles were intact, Wei Xiaobao had not been 'purified' at all, indeed he was not a court eunuch.
    how many others will do the same to WXB?

Bit weird for grown men to be feeling each other up.

Chen Zhongduozhu manually checking WXB is so very wrong . And WXB just lets him do it?! This part is not in the tv adaptations.

And why does it matter if WXB is a real eunuch or not?

I needed to confirm my thoughts about the other translation so I dusted off my copy of Minford's and again, I feel like I have to read with an English accent - he uses "old chap", "good fellow" an awful lot. I don't even know how this is possible but Minford's translation makes everyone seem more selfserving.

Helmsman = Chen Zhongduozhu
    Whiskers = Mao Shiba
    Laurel Gong Gong = Xiao Guizi

Quote Originally Posted by smurf120 View Post
    Helmsman = Chen Zhongduozhu
    Whiskers = Mao Shiba
    Laurel Gong Gong = Xiao Guizi
    Good thing I never read the Minford's translation or else I would literally throw up blood!

Quote Originally Posted by tweety365 View Post
    Chen Zhongduozhu manually checking WXB is so very wrong . And WXB just lets him do it?! This part is not in the tv adaptations.

And why does it matter if WXB is a real eunuch or not?
    Maybe they did not have the homophobia like we do now.
    Last edited by hoatran; 10-13-10 at 03:00 PM.

Thanks again foxs! I didn't realize how much I'd missed over the busy holiday weekend (Canadian Thanksgiving).

Regarding the eunuch bit, it was likely that eunuchs, having their "manhood" removed, were seen as less than men. You have to remember that it was an overwhelmingly patriarchal society, like many ancient cultures, and women simply did not enjoy the same rights and freedoms as men of their day. Also, there is the value placed about the ability to reproduce and have offspring.

If Chen Zhongduozhu had wanted to appoint an eunuch as their next "fragrant master", no matter how much respect the Zhongduozhu had among the ranks, there would have likely been an uproar of disapproval.

Quote Originally Posted by hoatran View Post
    Maybe they did not have the homophobia like we do now.
    Well, to me, it's not a matter of being homophobic, but it just seems wrong for anyone, male or female, to grope another person's private parts. Everyone is entitled his/her private space. Zhongduozhu could have just asked and it is up to WXB to decide if he wants to show proof.

Quote Originally Posted by stanman View Post
    Regarding the eunuch bit, it was likely that eunuchs, having their "manhood" removed, were seen as less than men. You have to remember that it was an overwhelmingly patriarchal society, like many ancient cultures, and women simply did not enjoy the same rights and freedoms as men of their day. Also, there is the value placed about the ability to reproduce and have offspring.

If Chen Zhongduozhu had wanted to appoint an eunuch as their next "fragrant master", no matter how much respect the Zhongduozhu had among the ranks, there would have likely been an uproar of disapproval.
    That makes sense, hadn't thought of it that way. So I guess a woman leader is pretty much out of the question.

Quote Originally Posted by tweety365 View Post
    Well, to me, it's not a matter of being homophobic, but it just seems wrong for anyone, male or female, to grope another person's private parts. Everyone is entitled his/her private space. Zhongduozhu could have just asked and it is up to WXB to decide if he wants to show proof.
    Your thinking is of a modern person. But even today, doctors do examine your private parts. And there is such a thing called strip search which can be quite invasive. In those situations, male officers do examine men, and female officers examine women. You can think of the situation was like a doctor examination or a strip search situation. And WXB was just but a boy. It's not that inappropriate to me. BTW, I think WXB was "touch" at least twice that way in the novel.

Default "touch"

"touch"
    made me lol a little
    Ali Derhamy

Wow I haven't been here and some time and FOXS YOU'RE STILL TRANSLATING!

Respect, man.

Default Chapter 8 - Part 2

Help ... !!! Someone is comparing the work of an amateur (me) with the professional (Minford) ... He is creative enough to come up with all those names ... not me. I'd better stick to the original. When reading Minford's, I kind of understand where the name 'Scarface', 'Tertius', 'Father Obscurus' came from, but I wonder where in the world did he get the 'Big Beaver' from?

You are welcome Sky, thanks for always supporting me. Single Whip, I have no idea, I have not read that story. Perhaps someone else can help? Ace, Banh Mi, Tweety, Hoatran, Stan, Ali, I did not expect that single sentence would create such a 'lively' discussion. Come to think about it, I don't think Tian Di Hui even had female members. IcyFox, welcome back! Are you a physicist now?

--------------------------
    Wei Xiaobao had no idea what he was talking about, he only saw Zongduozhu's delighted expression, apparently he had found solution to the difficult problem weighing down his mind; Wei Xiaobao could not help but feeling happy as well.

With both hands behind his back, Zongduozhu was walking back and forth in the room, while talking to himself, "Not a single one of our Tian Di Hui's conducts and deeds was without any precedence. Everything starts with me, why should I care about people being shocked and public criticism?" This literary-style speech of his was even more confusing to Wei Xiaobao.

The Zongduozhu said, "There are only you and me, two people right now, you don't need to be afraid you will be embarrassed. I don't care whether the martial art Hai Tianfu taught you was fake or real, perform it and let me see."

Only then did Wei Xiaobao understand that the reason he sent Guan Anji, four people, out of the room was to avoid him being afraid of making a clown of himself. Seeing he had no other excuses, Wei Xiaobao said, "It's what the old turtle taught me, it's none of my business; if it is too laughable, you may curse him good."

The Zongduozhu smiled and said, "Just go on with your practice, don't worry!" Thereupon Wei Xiaobao started to perform his style, a small part of the 'Great Compassion Great Sorrow Thousand-Leaf Hand' Hai Laogong taught him, some of which he had already forgotten, but he still remembered most of it. Zongduozhu watched with rapt attention. After Wei Xiaobao finished performing the style, he nodded and said, "From the way you move, apparently you have learned Shaolin Temple's 'big grappling technique', is that so?"

The 'big grappling technique' was the one Wei Xiaobao learned first, naturally he knew his mastery was even worse; actually, he wanted to avoid doing it clumsily to save his own face, but Zongduozhu seemed to know everything. Without any choice he said, "The old turtle also taught me several grappling technique to be used in fighting the young emperor." And then he performed several moves of the 'big grappling technique'.

The Zongduozhu smiled slightly and said, "Not bad!"

Wei Xiaobao said, "I knew you would laugh when you see it."

"I am not laughing at you!" the Zongduozhu said with a smile, "I like what I see. I think your memory, as well as your comprehension, are not bad; you are a talented individual. That move ‘white horse kick back’, Hai Tianfu deliberately taught you incorrectly, but you turned it into ‘carp props its gills’; you can make slight change automatically, you did not rigidly adhere to dead moves. That is very good!”

Wei Xiaobao had a sudden inspiration; he thought, “Apparently Zongduozhu’s martial art skill is a lot higher than the old turtle’s. If he is willing to teach me martial art, I, Wei Xiaobao, will definitely become a real hero, no longer a fake hero.” Leaning his head sideways, he stole a glance toward Zongduozhu; it so happened that Zongduozhu’s cold, electric eyes were gazing at him. Wei Xiaobao was always a mischievous person, even in front of imposing Empress Dowager, he still dared to face her up, but in front of this Zongduozhu, he did not dare to be wanton at all. As their eyes met, immediately he averted his gaze.

Zongduozhu said slowly, “What do you think the purpose of our Tian Di Hui?”

“Tian Di Hui is fighting the Qing, restoring the Ming,” Wei Xiaobao replied, “Helping the Han people to kill the Tatars.”

Zongduozhu nodded, “Exactly,” he said, “Are you willing to enter our Tian Di Hui and become a brother?”

Wei Xiaobao happily said, “That’s wonderful!” In his mind, each and every one of Tian Di Hui members was a hero and a warrior, he had never imagined that he could become one of the Society’s brothers. He thought further, “Even Mao Dage is not a Tian Di Hui brother, could I be better than him?” He said, “I am afraid … I am afraid I am not good enough.” In that instant his eyes were shining as his heart was swayed between thoughts of personal gains and losses. He felt that it was an out-of-this-world undeserved good luck that most likely it was not real, perhaps Zongduozhu was only joking with him.

The Zongduozhu said, “It is possible for you to enter the Society. It’s just that our business is fighting the Qing, restoring the Ming, regarding our Han people’s rivers and mountains as heavy, and our very own lives as light. Moreover, the rules within the Society are very strict, if you violate it, your punishment will be very heavy. You must think it over very well.”

“I don’t need to think,” Wei Xiaobao said, “Whatever rule you have, I will abide by it. Zongduozhu, if you let me join the Society, I will die happy.”

The smile vanished from Zongduozhu’s face, he said grimly, “This is an extremely important matter, a matter of life and death, it’s not a child’s play.”

“Of course I know,” Wei Xiaobao said, “I heard people say that Tian Di Hui walks in the way of chivalry, justice and loyalty, its business is startling-the-sky and moving-the-earth kind of great undertakings, how can it be a child’s play?”

The Zongduozhu smiled and said, “It’s good that you know it. When you enter the Society, you must make 36 oaths and have to avoid ten strict prohibitions.” Speaking to this point, his expression turned heavy. He said, “These prohibitions are not applicable to you since your age is still very young, but there is one: ‘toward my brothers, I must be faithful and true, I must not lie and swindle.’ This one prohibition, do you think you can accomplish?”

Wei Xiaobao was slightly startled, he said, “To you, Zongduozhu, naturally I won’t dare to lie. But toward the rest of the brothers, must I tell the truth all the time?”

“Minor matter you may not tell, important matter you must tell,” Zongduozhu said.

“That’s right,” Wei Xiaobao said, “But when I gamble with the Society’s brothers, can I or can’t I use tricks and cheat?”

The Zongduozhu had never thought he would ask this kind of question; showing a faint smile he said, “Although gambling is not a good deed, the Society’s rules do not have anything against it. However, if you cheat on them and when they find out they want to beat you, the Society does not forbid it either. Would you like to take a beating and get the worst of it?”

Wei Xiaobao laughed and said, “They won’t know. Actually, I don’t need to cheat; my confidence in winning is nine out of ten.”

Tian Di Hui’s members were Jianghu warriors; gambling and drinking were their second nature, nobody ever consider it wrong. Zongduozhu no longer paid him any attention. After staring at him for a while, he said, “Are you willing to do obeisance and take me as your master?”

Wei Xiaobao was ecstatic, immediately he threw himself in front of him and kowtowed repeatedly, while calling, "Shifu!"

This time the Zongduozhu did not help him up; after Wei Xiaobao had kowtowed a dozen times, he said, "It's enough!" Wei Xiaobao happily stood up. The Zongduozhu said, "I am surnamed Chen, called Jinnan. This three-character name 'Chen Jinnan' is what I use in Jianghu. Since you have become my disciple, you must know your Shifu's real name. My original name is Chen Yonghua, 'yong' from 'yong yuan' [forever/eternal], and 'Hua' from 'zhong hua' [China]." When speaking about his real name, he lowered his voice.

"Disciple will firmly keep it in my heart, I won't dare to reveal it," Wei Xiaobao said.

Chen Jinnan looked at him carefully for half a day, he said slowly, "You and I are master and disciple now, we should not conceal anything from each other. Let me tell you frankly: your glib tongue, your craftiness and your excessive cheating is completely unsuited to your master's disposition; I do not like it at all. Therefore, the reason I accepted you as my disciple is out of consideration of our Society's major mission."

Wei Xiaobao said, "Later on disciple will change."

"Changing rivers and mountains is easy, changing a man's character is much harder," Chen Jinnan said, "You won't change much. You are still very young, your temper is rather unstable, so it's not that bad. In the future you must always remember my words. I always treat my disciples with strict discipline, if you violate our Society's rules, scheming against anything upright, break the law and commit crimes, your master will take your life. It is as easy as turning my hand, and I will not show any mercy." To prove it, he reached out with his left hand. 'Crack!' he grabbed and broke a piece of wood from the corner of the table, and rubbed it between his hands. Wood splinters rained down on the floor.

Wei Xiaobao stuck out his tongue and did not pull it back for half a day. Presently, the delight in his heart was difficult to be chased away. He said with a laugh, "I am not going to do any bad thing. As soon as I commit an evil deed, Shifu will grab me on my head and rub it. Besides, I only need to do several bad things and Shifu, you won't have any disciple to whom you can pass on your skill."

"No need to do several bad things, only one is enough," Chen Jinnan said, "Then you and I won't be master and disciple anymore."

"How about two things?" Wei Xiaobao asked.

With a straight face Chen Jinnan replied, "You must be more serious to me, less smooth talking. One bad thing is one bad thing; do you even need to haggle over it?"

"Yes!" Wei Xiaobao complied, but in his heart he said, "What if I do half a bad thing?"

"You are my fourth disciple," Chen Jinnan said, "And maybe my last one. Tian Di Hui business is arduous, I do not have time to take a disciple. Your three Shixiong, two died in battle against the Tatars, one died in service during the recovery of Guoxing and Guangfu, Taiwan; they all died as real men sacrificing their lives for the country. Your master's status in Wulin world is not low, my reputation is not shameful, you must not do anything that will cause me to lose face."

"Yes!" Wei Xiaobao said, "It's just that ... it's just that ..."

"It's just that what?" Chen Jinnan asked.

"Sometimes it was not me who want to lose face," Wei Xiaobao said, "But I ended up losing face anyway, I can't help it. For example, I could not beat others, so others caught me and closed me up inside a jujube barrel, and was pushed around like some merchandise. Shifu, you must not blame me."

Chen Jinnan frowned; he was angered, but was also amused. After heaving a deep sigh he said, "Perhaps accepting you as my disciple is the biggest blunder I've ever made in my entire life. But for the sake of heavy responsibility over the important matter of the world, I have to brave a risk. Xiaobao, our Society has another important matter at hand, in everything you must listen to my instruction and do as I command, don't talk nonsense too much, then you will be all right."

"Yes!" Wei Xiaobao said.

Chen Jinnan noticed that he was going to speak but hesitated, so he asked, "What do you want to say?"

"When disciple talks," Wei Xiaobao started, "I only say something that makes sense to me, I don't want to talk nonsense at all. Yet you say that I talk nonsense, isn't that an unjust treatment?"

Chen Jinnan did not want to squabble with him, he said, "Then the less you talk the better," but in his heart he said, "I don't know how many heroes and warriors under the heavens are showing respect in front of me, they do not even dare to breathe too loudly, but this cunning, uncouth and weird urchin insists on having this much useless words." He stood up and walked toward the door. "Come with me," he said. Wei Xiaobao rushed to the door and lifted the door curtain to let Chen Jinnan go out, then he followed him to the main hall.

There were about twenty people sitting in the main hall, as soon as they saw their Zongduozhu come out, everybody stood in attention immediately. Chen Jinnan nodded, he walked toward the second chair at the head of the hall and sat down. Wei Xiaobao noticed that the chair in the middle was empty, and the chair above his Shifu's position was also empty; he was bewildered, "Could it be that Zongduozhu is not the highest position?" he mused, "How come there are two people above Shifu?"

Chen Jinnan said, "Brothers, I have received a young disciple today." Pointing to Wei Xiaobao he said, "It's him!"

The crowd stepped forward; cupping their fists and bowing, they said, "Congratulations Zongduozhu," and then they cupped their fists toward Wei Xiaobao and one after another they offered their congratulations as well. Some of them appeared really happy, some looked greatly astonished, some looked like they did not believe it really happened.
    Last edited by foxs; 10-22-10 at 03:30 PM.

Thanks for another update foxs.

Hi Foxs, I'm not a physicist yet - still long way to go...

But I'm always a fan of your work.

Quote Originally Posted by foxs View Post
    Help ... !!! Someone is comparing the work of an amateur (me) with the professional (Minford) ... He is creative enough to come up with all those names ... not me. I'd better stick to the original. When reading Minford's, I kind of understand where the name 'Scarface', 'Tertius', 'Father Obscurus' came from, but I wonder where in the world did he get the 'Big Beaver' from?
    I, for one, prefer your translation to Minford's. I didn't like his names at all.

I mentioned "invasive" strip search the other day, today I read this:

"Christopher Elliot contacted TSA to see if they would be changing the screening process for people who opt out of a body scan after the 31st of this month and the TSA said yes, but that right now it was only testing these 'enhanced pat-downs' in Las Vegas and Boston. The TSA official told him that it would not be a nationwide standard after October 31, but a phased-in, nationwide rollout would begin after October 31."

"Given the choice would you rather get in a body scanner, or, as the TSA official in Charlotte described it, be subjected to a more "intimate" body search by TSA staff? Let us know in the comments below!"

You can see the whole article at http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Airport-...news-8324.html

Quote Originally Posted by Wanlie Tong View Post
    I, for one, prefer your translation to Minford's. I didn't like his names at all.
    The names annoy me but I definitely have a problem when he refers to fighting as "kung fu" and "karate" as in something like Shaolin Kungfu and Wudang Karate ... multiple references to magic and wizardry??

just because someone has whisker, then his name got changed to Whisker.
    another has some scar, then its Scarface.

was Minford naming his pets?

Default Chapter 8 - Part 3

Sky, IcyFox, thanks. Hoatran, seems like you are still bothered by that 'touching'? Wanlie, Smurf and Ace, my personal opinion: Minford was only thinking about his western audience, so he did not care too much about wuxia fan like us. When translating this part, I also found that he omitted the historical reference; perhaps he thought that his audience were not interested in history? That being said, since I am not a historian myself, my translation might be inaccurate. Please accept my apology. Perhaps Ace will be able to help me?

------------------------------------------------------
    Chen Jinnan ordered Wei Xiaobao, "Go greet all Bobo, Shushu[2]." Wei Xiaobao then went to kowtow to everybody. Standing on the side, Li Lishi introduced, "This is Lotus Flower Hall's Xiangzhu, Cai Dezhong, Cai Bobo." "This is Great Obedience Hall's Xiangzhu, Fang Dahong, Fang Bobo." "This is Latter Family Hall's Xiangzhu, Ma Chaoxing, Ma Bobo."

Wei Xiaobao kowtowed in front of these Xiangzhu one by one. Altogether there were nine Xiangzhu from nine Halls. Next he had to greet the people next in command of the various Halls. The nine Xiangzhu returned his kowtow by casual greeting, they said continually, "I don't dare, Xiao Xiongdi please rise." But unexpectedly other people did not received his kowtow; as soon as he was about to kneel down, they would reach out and stop him. Wei Xiaobao was quick, sometimes he already knelt down before the other side had time to stop; in this case, the other person would hastily kneel as well to return the propriety. Apparently they did not dare to assume the position as a senior.

There were more than twenty people in the hall, Wei Xiaobao could not remember everybody's name and duty, he only knew that each one of these people was a leading figure of the Tian Di Hui. He thought, "As soon as I bowed to Zongduozhu and become his disciple, everybody treated me as one of their own, they even told me their real name and capacity within the Society." In his heart he was very happy.

Chen Jinnan waited until Wei Xiaobao finished greeting the people, and then he said, "Brothers, after taking this young disciple, I also wish for him to enter the Tian Di Hui."

"Nothing's better than that," the crowd replied in chorus.

The Lotus Flower Hall's Xiangzhu, Cai Dezhong was an old man with white hair and white beard. He said, "From the beginning, great teacher always produces brilliant student. The disciple of Zongduozhu must be a wise, brave, and all-around talented young hero. I believe that he will establish great merit in our Society."

The Latter Family Hall's Xiangzhu, Ma Chaoxing was a short and stout man, with sincere smile on his face; he said, "Today we meet Xiao Xiongdi of the Wei family, but I do not have anything as a first meeting gift. The one surnamed Ma has always a man of meticulous planning and careful accounting; let's do it this way: how about if Cai Xiangzhu and I become Xiao Xiongdi's sponsor as he joins the Society, consider it as our first meeting gift. What does Cai Xiong thinks?"

Cai Dezhong laughed aloud and said, "The Old Ma's careful accounting need not be mentioned, it is guaranteed to be a sound planning. This first meeting gift does not involve any money, count me in." Everybody chuckled and laughed.

Chen Jinnan said, "The two Bobo have enormous faces, and they are willing to be your sponsor. Quickly thank them."

"Yes!" Wei Xiaobao replied. He stepped forward and kowtowed to express his gratitude.

Chen Jinnan said, "According to our Society's rules, the good and bad words and actions of the brother entering the Society will be the great responsibility of the sponsor. This young disciple of mine is very sharp-witted; I am afraid with his quick-thinking head, he would not do the job abiding by the rules. Since Cai and Ma, two Xiangzhu are his sponsors, later on you will share some of my responsibility. If he ever do anything dishonorable, you must put your hands to discipline him, you must not be too polite."

Cai Dezhong said, "Zongduozhu is too modest. How can any disciple under Zongduozhu's tutelage be a dishonorable scholar?"

"I am not being too modest," Chen Jinnan replied, "Toward this child, I do not feel at ease; by helping me disciplining him, everybody is sharing my responsibility and taking some load off my mind.”

Ma Chaoxing laughed and said, “Disciplining him, I do not dare, Xiao Xiongdi is young, if you have anything you are not clear, we all are brothers here, of course we will be frank and open-minded, so you won’t have to be uptight.”

Chen Jinnan nodded and said, “Let me thank you in advance.”

Wei Xiaobao thought, “I haven’t done anything wrong, but Shifu already worry that I will do bad things. Ah, right, he heard me on the trick I used to deal with the old turtle, he is afraid my old illness might flare-up and would treat him the same way. But the old turtle wanted to harm me, plus he was not my Shifu, so I poisoned his eyes blind. You are my real Shifu, you will teach me real skill, how can I fool with you? Yet you talk about it up front, everybody here will discipline me, then I won’t be able to move at all.”

He heard Chen Jinnan said, “Li Xiongdi, please arrange a ceremonial hall, we will have a ceremony today to let Wei Xiaobao join our Society.” Li Lishi complied and went out to prepare the ceremony. Chen Jinnan said, “According to the customs of the former days, whenever someone wanted to join our Society, the sponsor must examine and investigate his past history and present conducts, for at least half a year, at most one or two years. When everything has been verified, we then conduct the ceremony and have the person join the Society. However, Wei Xiaobao holds a governmental post in the Qing Palace, he is a very trusted-aide of the young Emperor, which will be very beneficial to our Society. We have to temporarily make an exception here, but not because he is my own disciple.”

The people said, “We, brothers, understand.”

The Great Obedience Hall's Xiangzhu, Fang Dahong was a big and tall man, his black beard was long and shiny. With a loud and clear voice he said, “We can have such a trusted brother handling matters at the side of the Tatars Emperor, is indeed a Heaven’s blessing. The luck of the Tatars is numbered, the reviving our Great Ming’s rivers and mountains is promising. It is called ‘knowing yourself and knowing the enemy, you will emerge victorious in every battle’. Who does not understand Zongduozhu’s intention?”

Wei Xiaobao mused, “So the reason you all treat me very well is to make me a spy by the Emperor’s side. Shall I do it, or shan’t I do it?” Thinking how well Kangxi had treated him, he could not help but feeling quite a bit of hesitation.

Cai Dezhong immediately explained briefly the history and rules of the Tian Di Hui to Wei Xiaobao. He said, “The founder of our Society was Koxinga[3], whose original surname was Zheng, his given name was Cheng at the top and Gong at the bottom. At that time Koxinga was the leader of militia, he attacked Jiangnan[4] and besieged Jiangning[5], but he failed within sight of success, and was forced to retreat, back to Taiwan. Accepting Zongduozhu’s recommendation, he founded our Tian Di Hui. At that time, our Zongduozhu was Koxinga’s military leader. Me and Fang Xiongdi, Ma Xiongdi, Hu Xiongdi, Li Xiongdi, as well as the Green Wood Hall’s Yin Xiangzhu and the others, were all military officers and soldiers under Koxinga.”

Wei Xiaobao knew that Koxinga was Zheng Chenggong, whom the Ming Dynasty Emperor bestowed the surname Zhu, therefore, the people addressed him deferentially as Guo Xing Ye. Zheng Chenggong had a resounding reputation in the Jiangsu, Zhejiang, Fujian and Guanghzhou area. He passed away during the first year of Kangxi’s reign. Since he died not too long ago, when mentioning his name, everybody’s tone was very respectful. Mao Shiba had also mentioned his name to Wei Xiaobao.

Cai Dezhong continued, “There were a lot of our soldiers remained in Jiangnan, unable to retreat to Taiwan. Some withdrew to Xiamen, a small part of our army actually; for this reason, Zongduozhu accepted Koxinga's order to remain in the Central Earth to establish the Tian Di Hui and get in touch with Koxinga's former subordinates. Everybody who had followed Koxinga in the attack of Jiangsu and Zhejiang automatically became Tian Di Hui member, without any need of neither sponsor nor the probation period. But if any outsider wanted to join the Society, we must thoroughly verify his background, to guard against any spy penetrating our organization."

Speaking to this point, he paused for a moment, then suddenly his expression brightened as he continued with his narrative, "To think that back then our army embarked from Taiwan, altogether we had one hundred and seventy thousand men: fifty thousand navy, fifty thousand cavalry, fifty thousand infantry, ten thousand supporting guerillas, and ten thousand 'ironmen soldiers', each one of them wearing full body armor and wielded long lance in their hands, specially designed to hack the legs of Tatars' horses, while the enemy's blade and arrows could not injure them. During the battle of Mount Yang Peng in Zhenjiang, Zongduozhu was in command of two thousand troops, we destroyed the Tatars' eighteen thousand soldiers. It was truly majestic, the aura of death filled the air. I was an officer in the eighth garrison under Zongduozhu's flag, I led my troops to rush and kill the enemy, and I heard the Tatars soldiers cried out, 'Malu, malu! Qihu, qihu!'."

Listening to this story, Wei Xiaobao was radiant with delight. "What does that mean?" he asked.

Cai Dezhong said, "In Tatars' tongue, 'Malu, malu' means 'Mama, Mama'. 'Qihu, qihu' means 'run away, run away!'." Everybody roared in laughter.

Ma Chaoxing said with a laugh, "When Cai Xiangzhu is telling the story of the capture of Zhenjiang and the big massacre of the Tatar troops, he is in such a high spirit that the story won't be finished in three days and three nights. As the sponsor, you need to explain our Society's rules to Wei Xiongdi, if you talk like that, even when Wei Xiongdi's beard grew as long as yours, you won't be finished ..." Speaking to this point, he suddenly remembered that Wei Xiaobao was a little eunuch, how could he grow beard? Stealing a glance toward Wei Xiaobao, he saw that Wei Xiaobao was unconcerned, only then did he feel relieved.

At this moment Li Lishi was back, reporting that the ceremony hall was ready. Chen Jinnan led everybody toward the rear hall. Wei Xiaobao saw two memorial tablets set up on an board table. The one in the middle read 'The Son of Heaven of the Great Ming', the one next to it read 'Lord Yan Ping of the Great Ming, Marshall Zheng'. As sacrificial offering on the table were arranged a pig's head, a sheep's head, a chicken, and a fish, plus seven incense sticks. Everybody kneeled down together and did obeisance to the spirit table.

Cai Dezhong took a sheet of white paper from the table, with a loud and clear voice he read, "Heaven and earth is universal, recovering the Great Ming, exterminating the barbarians. We all live together and die together, imitating the ancient tale of Peach Garden, we all are brothers, with the surname Hong [great], given name Jinlan [sworn brother], become one family. We bow to the heaven as our father, and to the earth as our mother, the sun is our brother, the moon is our sister. We bow to five ancestors and the founder Wan Yunlong as the guardian spirits of the Hong family. We take the twenty-fifth day of the seventh month of the year Jiayin[6], at the Chou hour [between 1-3 am] as our birth-date. Over the former two capitals and thirteen provinces, wholeheartedly as one body. Present imperial court is not imperial court, generals and marshals are not general and marshals, the hearts of the people waver, as we are called to restore the Ming Dynasty and eliminate the barbarians under the heavens. We all consider Chen Jinnan as our commander, we will go with him thru five lakes and four oceans, to be heroes and warriors. We burn incense and establish an oath, to obey and walk in the way of the Heaven, to recover the Ming Dynasty, to take revenge and erase humiliation. We smear our lips with the blood of a sacrifice and make an oath, may the deities come down and be our witness.”

Finished reading, Cai Dezhong explained, “Wei Xiongdi, within these words there is a reference to the ancient tale of ‘Tying Righteousness in the Peach Garden’, do you know about it?”

Wei Xiaobao said, “Liu, Guan and Zhang made an oath of brotherhood in the Peach Garden, they were not born in the same year and the same month, but were wishing that they would die in the same year and the same month.”

“That’s right,” Cai Dezhong said, “Now that you have entered Tian Di Hui, everybody becomes brother. We and Zongduozhu are brothers, you bowed to him and enter his tutelage, everybody become your Bobo or Shushu. Consequently, you greeted us by kowtowing. But from now on, we are brothers, so you do not need to kowtow to us anymore.”

“Yes,” Wei Xiaobao replied, but in his heart he mused, “That’s great.”

Cai Dezhong said, “Our Tian Di Hui is also called Hong Men[7]. ‘Hong’ is from Hongwu, the regnal name of Ming Taizu[8]. Surname Hong, given name Jinlan means the brotherhood of the Hong Men. Our Hong Men was founded by Wan Yunlong. Wan Yunlong is another name for Koxinga. First, we brothers do not dare to casually mentioning Koxinga’s real surname and given name; second, it will be inconvenient to us if the eagle claws hear his name too much. Therefore, among the brothers, we refer to Koxinga as Wan Yunlong. ‘Wan’ means ‘thousands and tens of thousands people’, ‘Yunlong’ means a dragon in the cloud. Thousands and tens of thousands people consider the Great Ming as the Son of Heaven, thereupon he strive to regain our beautiful rivers and mountains. Wei Xiongdi, this is our Society’s secret, you must never mention it to an outsider friend. Even if Master Mao Shiba is your good friend, your good brother, you must not tell him this.”

------------------------------------------------------
    [2] Older than one's father uncle and younger than one's father uncle, respectively

[3] Orig. Guoxing Ye, ‘master of Gouxing’. From the dictionary: [Zheng Chenggong: Koxinga (1624-1662), south Chinese regional leader during early Qing, fled the mainland and conquered Taiwan from the Ducth.] Guoxing is a township in central Taiwan, however, it literally means ‘the country’s surname’.

[4] South of Changjiang/Yangtze River.

[5] A district in Jiangsu.

[6] Fifty-first year of the 60-year cycle in Chinese calendar. Jiayin corresponds to the Wood Tiger year, the next Jiayin is 2034. I did a quick calculation, but the result did not make any sense to me: 2034 - 360 = 1674. According to wikipedia, Kangxi was born 1654, i.e. he was 20 years old in 1674. This story happened (supposedly) when Kangxi was 14, 15 years old. Wikipedia also lists Oboi's death in the year 1670 (Kangxi was actually 16 years old). That means the date was in the future? If we take the previous sixty years, i.e. 1614, Koxinga was not even born yet.

[7] ‘Men’ here means family, house, (religious) sect, school (of thought), organization, etc.

[8] First Ming Emperor, Zhu Yuanzhang (1328-1398, reigned 1386-1398).