Page 158 of 158 FirstFirst ... 58108148149150151152153154155156157158
Results 3,141 to 3,145 of 3145

Thread: The Deer and The Cauldron

Quote Originally Posted by foxs View Post
    Readers like all of you are my reward and my motivation to continue.
    Pardon my not joining sooner to let you know...

Well, a poem by Frank Scott below, later sang by Leonard Cohen, that's been near my thoughts

From bitter searching of the heart,
    Quickened with passion and with pain
    We rise to play a greater part.

This is the faith from which we start :
    Men shall know commonwealth again
    From bitter searching of the heart.

We loved the easy and the smart,
    But now, with keener hand and brain,

The lesser loyalties depart,
    And neither race nor creed remain
    From bitter searching of the heart.

Not steering by the venal chart
    That tricked the mass for private gain,

Reshaping narrow law and art
    Whose symbols are the millions slain,
    From bitter searching of the heart
    — A Villanelle for Our Time
    « I know more than I can express in words, and the little I can express would not have been expressed, had I not known more. » — 弗拉基米爾·弗拉基米羅維奇·納博科夫

Default Pretty sure it does.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
    Thanks for the update foxs!

Does it state in the novel how old Xiao Xuanzi is?
    I think it says he's about 2 years older, so 15 or so. All the rest of the info points to 15 too

Me too. Some even say the Emperor is one of TWO main characters in Deer, with the story revolving around TWO protagonists, Wei Xiaobao and Kang Xi. If you ask me, the Emperor seems to represent some of the positive virtues that WXB is seriously lacking in. (Perseverance, respect, etc.) Since WXB is an antihero and all.
    Last edited by ValleyoftheCrane; 05-31-15 at 02:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by matricha View Post
    is there at least some supernatural powers?
    nope none of it...
    there is a chant... where... all revolve around money...
    lol... money rule everything...

Quote Originally Posted by foxs View Post
    Jack, thanks for your effort in converting it into 'mobile version'. I included the link you sent me to the index of the unabridged thread. Wes, no promise ... I want to do other things first, and do not wish to 'invade' other people's work. Crazee, thanks for keeping me company in this long journey.

Szfong, I can't say that I understand the complexity of web programming, but I found that using my computer at work is different than my home computer, while I never mess with the setting of spcnet. I have a question: how do you make the image appear on the post? I have seen people did just that. But when I 'insert image', it appears as 'hyperlink' that you need to click to view (if you haven't done so, please see the unabridged thread).

OwlHoot, I will be back with more translations ... someday ... Soifuron, indeed, it was a great ride. Readers like all of you are my reward and my motivation to continue.

Grundle, hopefully you can find time in your busy schedule to continue your work.

Announcement:
    The Undabridged Thread is complete. I also included some other links you might want to check. I still need to find a home for the pdf version.

Last but not least, Ali, if you are still around, last time you asked me about the ending, and I replied with this:

Chen Jinnan would die, betrayed by his wife. He left his martial art manual, which Wei Xiaobao found. WXB became the leader of Tian Di Hui, continuing their fight against the Manchus. In the end he married a Manchu princess, while Xiao Junzhu sailed away, broken hearted.

Well, one, Chen Jinnan did die, and his daughter died too, betrayed by his in-laws (Zheng Keshuang and his mother; remember that his daughter married ZKS's stepbrother). Two, he did leave his martial art manual to WXB, but he never learned it. WXB was officially asked to be the leader of Tian Di Hui (heck, he was even asked to be the emperor) in their continuing effort to fight the Manchus. Three, he did marry a Manchu princess (although her mother was a fake). Four, Xiao Junzhu did sail away, but not broken hearted. So you see, it was not totally off, was it?

This is just awesome... thank you Foxs!!
    Last edited by Clown Prince; 03-16-17 at 03:13 PM.