Page 34 of 158 FirstFirst ... 24252627282930313233343536373839404142434484134 ... LastLast

Thread: The Deer and The Cauldron

Quote Originally Posted by tweety365 View Post
    Yeah, I also agree that martial art experts are not that large in numbers. Plus, if not provoked, why would they randomly get into fights. Even if WXB trained hard day and night, he still would not be able to fight and win the Empress Dowager, his current #1 enemy. Best to outsmart her instead, which he has been doing a great job.

Thanks foxs!
    The problem is that wxb needs to go on solo missions, otherwise he could hire an entire army to protect himself.
    Proud to be part of http://www.asianfanatics.net/

Thanks for the update foxs.

Quote Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
    The problem is that wxb needs to go on solo missions, otherwise he could hire an entire army to protect himself.
    That is true. He certainly has enough funds. I'm surprised that even with the fortune he looted from Oboi's mansion he still salivates after the Qing's hidden treasure. I suppose greed is human nature.

He doesn't need to hire an army, the edict he carried with him gave him the authority to command whatever government resources he need, even an army.

Awesome translation...... Finally read upto date. So much more fun compared to the other translation I found in Spcnet.
    Thanks Foxs.

Love WXB, totally different from the other JY heroes. Wish I could be as witty as him.....especially the way he indirectly whack others.
    Now I understand why my brother laugh when he read DOMD in mandarin. Used to look at him thinking he was crazy, laughing when reading JY's wuxia ?
    cheerio..

Quote Originally Posted by Ace High View Post
    He doesn't need to hire an army, the edict he carried with him gave him the authority to command whatever government resources he need, even an army.
    Yet, on the other hand, hong hei told him to go on a secret mission, so WXB can't take an army with him.... That edict is more for show than really being useful..
    Proud to be part of http://www.asianfanatics.net/

Yet, on the other hand, hong hei told him to go on a secret mission, so WXB can't take an army with him.... That edict is more for show than really being useful..
    Nope, basically its more like an ace in the sleeve, to be used when and only when its necessary, not to be flaunted openly and recklessly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace High View Post
    Nope, basically its more like an ace in the sleeve, to be used when and only when its necessary, not to be flaunted openly and recklessly.
    wow, a kid with that kind of power......
    cheerio..

Default Chapter 15 - Part 11

Athlon, it was not a typo, but your suggestion is more clear, so I'll fix it. Sky, you are welcome. Tweety, look what you started ... now we get a discussion about the edict. Ace, thanks for your comment. Crazee, why didn't you ask your brother to translate for you? I remember when I was little, my Dad would read old book and translated it for us.

Here is the end of Chapter 15.

-----------------------------------------------------
    Wei Xiaobao did not know whom she was asking, he raised his head to look at her, not knowing how to answer her question. The two of them looked at each other, one was waiting the other to answer, the other did not know what she was talking about.

After a while, Tao Hongying asked again, "Did you hear him saying anything? Did you see his lips moving?"

Seeing her strange expression, Wei Xiaobao was rather scared. "Gugu must be under a spell. Or did she see a ghost?" he mused. "Gugu," he asked, "Whom did you see?"

"Who?" Tao Hongying said, "It's that ... that man who dressed as a fake palace maid!"

Wei Xiaobao was even more afraid. With a trembling voice he asked, "You saw that fake palace maid? Where ... where is he?"

As if she had just awakened from a dream Tao Hongying said, "That night in the Empress Dowager's room, when I fought that fake palace maid, did you hear him or see he opened his mouth to speak?"

Wei Xiaobao let out a breath; he said, "Um, so you are asking about that night. Did he say anything? I did not hear it."

Tao Hongying pondered for a moment, and then she shook her head and said, "My martial art skill is far too inferior to his, he did not need to use any incantations."

Wei Xiaobao was completely at a loss. "Gugu," he said consolingly, "No need to think about him anymore, we have killed him early on, he won't come back to life."

"We have killed that man, he won't come back to life," Tao Hongying echoed. She seemed to be consoling herself, but when she said those words, her expression showed that deep in her heart she was extremely terrified.

Wei Xiaobao thought, "Although your martial art is good, you are afraid of ghosts. Just killing one person you are this anxious, much less it was me who killed that fake palace maid, it wasn't you. You killed the old wh0re, actually you killed a tactless and impulsive person; you killed her half dead, half alive, in the end she still came back to live. How disappointing!"

Tao Hongying said, "Since he is dead, naturally we can forget about him, right?"

"That's right," Wei Xiaobao replied, "Even if he turned into a ghost, we don't need to fear him."

"What ghost?" Tao Hongying asked, "I am worried because he was the disciple of Divine Dragon Cult's Jiaozhu. That ... that ... um, Empress Dowager called him Shixiong, it's impossible, it's definitely impossible. Looking at his martial art, it was totally different that hers, right? You really did not see him moving his lips when he was fighting, right?" She seemed to be talking to herself, her voice trembled, as if she was hoping Wei Xiaobao would confirm her speculation.

But how could Wei Xiaobao distinguish the fake palace maid's martial art? He said loudly, "Don't worry, you are right, that fake palace maid's martial art was different. When he was fighting, his lips were shut tight, he did not utter a single word. Gugu, what kind of guy is that Divine Dragon Cult's Jiaozhu?"

Tao Hongying hurriedly said, "Hong Jiaozhu of Shen Long Jiao's [if you don't mind too much, I'd like to use Shen Long Jiao from now on, in my mind 'Divine Dragon Cult' is just too clumsy] magical power is extensive, his martial art is deep and immeasurable, how can you casually call him a 'guy'? Child, even behind his back, your speech must not offend him. Great Cult Leader Hong's disciples and grand disciples are numerous and very well-informed, as soon as you utter a sentence or half a phrase disrespectful word toward him, it will be transmitted to his ear, you ... just consider your life is over." While saying that, she looked left and right, as if she was afraid a Shen Long Jiao Jiaozhu's follower was around.

"Shen Long Jiao Jiaozhu is that powerful?" Wei Xiaobao said, "Could it be that his power exceeds that of the Emperor?"

"Naturally his power is not as great as the Emperor's," Tao Hongying replied, "But if you offend the Emperor, you can run and hide, the Emperor may not necessarily able to find and seize you; but if you offend Shen Long Jiao Jiaozhu, even if you run to the ends of the earth, you won't find a hiding place."

"If that's the case," Wei Xiaobao said, "Shen Long Jiao has more men and greater force than our Tian Di Hui?"

Tao Hongying shook her head, "It's not the same, it's not the same," she said, "Your Tian Di Hui is fighting the Qing, restoring the Ming; your deeds are just and honorable, all hero and warriors in Jianghu respect you deeply. Shen Long Jiao on the other hand, is substantially different."

Wei Xiaobao said, "Are you saying that all hero and warriors in Jianghu are afraid of Shen Long Jiao?"

Tao Hongying had to think for a moment before responding, "What I understand about the Jianghu matters is very, very little; I only heard Shifu mentioning it a little bit. My Tai Shifu had such a superb martial art skill, yet she still perished under the hands of Shen Long Jiao disciple."

Wei Xiaobao swore without any restrain, "Damn it, if that's the case, Shen Long Jiao is our sworn enemy, why should we fear him?"

Tao Hongying shook her head, then slowly said, "My Shifu said that the martial art taught by Shen Long Jiao has countless changes, admittedly, it is very formidable; but even more difficult to resist is the many incantation practiced by their Cult, which they read as they are facing the enemy, which can make the opponent's heart alarmed and they tremble with fear, while the more they fight, the braver they become. When Tai Shifu was trying to steal the sutra from the Bordered Blue Banner Commander's mansion, she was involved in a fierce battle against several disciples of the Shen Long Jiao. One of them started to read the spell, Tai Shifu's fist wind and palm strength became weaker and weaker, until finally her lower abdomen was hit by a palm and she suffered a heavy injury. At that time my Shifu was watching from the side, she said that she mustered up her courage to rush forward to help, but after hearing the incantation, her whole body turned limp and painful, and she had a strong desire to kneel down and surrender, unexpectedly her fighting spirit was gone. When Tai Shifu was wounded, that person no longer read the spell, my Shifu immediately felt her courage surged back, she rushed toward Tai Shifu and took her away. When she recalled this event afterward, she always felt ashamed but was also scared, thus she repeatedly warned me that among the most dangerous things in the world, nothing surpasses fighting with Shen Long Jiao's people."

Wei Xiaobao thought, "Your Shifu was a woman, her courage was small, seeing the strength of the opponent, she was frightened and thinking about surrendering." He asked, "Gugu, did you hear what kind of spell that man was reading?"

"I ... I did not hear it," Tao Hongying replied, "I was afraid that fake palace maid was a Shen Long Jiao disciple, that's why I asked you if you hear him saying anything or see his lips moving during the fight."

"Oh, so that's the reason," Wei Xiaobao said. He tried to think if he saw or heard anything from under the bed. "No, I did not. But did you hear it?"

Tao Hongying said, "That fake palace maid's martial art was a lot stronger than mine, I fought him with everything I have, I neither hear nor see anything that happened around me. I just felt that after I fought him for a while, my heart suddenly became afraid, I wanted to run away. When I think about it, I feel very strange."

"Gugu," Wei Xiaobao asked, "After you learned martial art, how many people have you fought? How many people have you killed?"

Tao Hongying shook her head and said, "I have never fought anybody, I have never killed even one person."

"That's the reason," Wei Xiaobao said, "After killing several more people, you won't feel afraid when you fight again."

"Perhaps you are right," Tao Hongying said, "But I don't want to fight anybody, I don't want to kill anybody even more, as long as I can safely and peacefully get those eight copies of the 'Forty-two-chapter Sutra' and break the Manchurian Qing Tatars' dragon vein, I will be perfectly satisfied. Ay, but there is a 80, 90% chance that the Bordered Blue Banner Commander's copy of 'Forty-two-chapter Sutra' has fallen into Shen Long Jiao's hands. It would be very difficult to recapture the book from the Shen Long Jiao's hands." She was still wearing disguise on her face, Wei Xiaobao could not see her expression, but from her eyes, he could see clearly that deep in her heart she was still very much afraid.

"Gugu," Wei Xiaobao said, "What do you say about joining our Tian Di Hui?" He was thinking, "You are very scared! Our Tian Di Hui has many men and great force, we don't have to be afraid of Shen Long Jiao."

Tao Hongying was startled; she asked, "Why do you want me to join Tian Di Hui?"

Wei Xiaobao said, "Tian Di Hui's main objective is to fight the Qing and restore the Ming, the same idea your Tai Shifu and your Shifu had."

"That is actually a very good idea," Tao Hongying said, "But let's talk about it later. I must return to the Palace now. Where are you going?"

"You are returning to the Palace?" Wei Xiaobao asked in amazement, "Aren't you afraid of the Empress Dowager?"

Tao Hongying sighed and said, "Since I was a child I grew up in the Palace. After thinking it over, only in the Palace I can live without fear, I don't understand anything about the matter of the outside world. Originally I was afraid this great secret would follow me to my grave, but now that I have told it to you, even if the Empress Dowager kills me, it's nothing. Besides, the Palace is very big, I will find a place where I can hide, where the Empress Dowager won't find me."

"Alright," Wei Xiaobao said, "You return to the Palace, someday I will definitely come to see you. Right now Shifu has something for me to do."

Tao Hongying knew it was inappropriate to ask about Tian Di Hui's business, so she said, "When you are back to the Palace later, how are you and I going to meet?"

Wei Xiaobao replied, "When I am back at the Palace, I will pile up rocks at the burning ground, and will stick a piece of wood on the pile of rocks, with a picture of a bird on the piece of wood, then you'll know that I am back. That same night, we can meet at the burning ground."

Tao Hongying nodded, "Very good," she said, "Let's do it this way.
    Good child, the wind and waves in Jianghu are dangerous, in everything you must be careful."

Wei Xiaobao nodded, "Yes," he said, "Gugu, you must be careful yourself, the Empress Dowager, that old wh0re's heart is vicious, you must never, ever fall into her plot."

The two of them arrived at a town, Wei Xiaobao hired another carriage, they parted ways to the east and to the west. Wei Xiaobao saw Tao Hongying drove her carriage eastwards, he was unable not to turn his head to look at her back as he thought, "Although she is not my real Gugu, she treats me very well."

Thanks foxs.

Tao Gugu must me a wuxia prodigy if she can fight so well with no sparring partner since she had her first fight, first kill, and first visit outside the palace all within 2-3 days. She manages to go undercover, spar with 8 Armed Ape, drive a carriage, stop the fake inkeepers (kill them), bury them after driving them away, and find her way back to the palace from miles away.

Quote Originally Posted by foxs View Post
    Crazee, why didn't you ask your brother to translate for you? I remember when I was little, my Dad would read old book and translated it for us.
    Hi Foxs...Just beautiful.

The difference in age between myself and my brother is 18yrs. Back then the only wuxia that I know is wang yu and david chang....one armed swords man thing. I only get to love Jing Yong another 15 years later ..... DOMD starring Tony Leung / And Lau then followed by ROCH ...Andy Lau. At that time I was only crazy about video tapes,...rentals ones and we would chase for tapes daily as they get from HK. ( pirated ones I suspect ) It was much later that I wanted to really know how the real unedited story is like but noway I could find the english translation until Internet, with SPC net.....LOCH which you were a very active translator, HSDS, from www.zhangwuji.net, and so on.....well it's a long story eh ? but it's really thanks to you hardworking people that we get to read the story as it should be, short of learning how to read mandarin. Again Foxs ...thanks and looking forward for the next chapter.
    Last edited by crazee; 02-28-11 at 09:08 PM.
    cheerio..

Ah, rental tapes, good times. I miss those days when I would be on pins and needles waiting for the new releases. Back then, each episode was around 40 minutes and there were 4 episodes released each week. It took 15 weeks for me to finish watching Grand Canal.

Although not quite the same, the cliff hangers from reading translations do liven up my days. Much appreciate all your hard work, foxs.

Yeah another translation btw I wonder where the coffin with the scripts went to?

Default Chapter 16 - Part 1

Sky, you are welcome. Smurf, I agree, it sounds inconsistent to me. She was able to subdue Xu Tianchuan, but admitted that Empress Dowager's Shixiong was a lot better than she was. Just how good was she? Or how powerful was the Shen Long Jiao fellow? What about Chen Jinnan? I always have the impression that Chen Jinnan was the strongest fighter in this story. Crazee, Tweety ... Wang Yu, David Chiang, Ti Lung, Chen Kuan Tay, Fu Sheng, Lo Lieh, Yueh Hua, Wang Chung ... mmm ... who else? I was too young to remember any of the story, but I do remember those names. Tapes? What are those? Seriously, I know what you mean, but I don't remember waiting for new episode. The reason was that I came across the books first before the tapes. Hence I was not too interested to have my face glued in front of the TV set. OwlHoot, I thought he left the coffin in an ancestral hall somewhere in Beijing? Anyway, new chapter ...

-------------------------------------------------------
    Chapter 16 – Sweet talk hidden in musk deer powder’s fragrance, new ghosts wailed in the midst of ornaments
    (Translated by Foxs)

On the carriage, Wei Xiaobao closed his eyes and took a nap. Towards the evening, suddenly he heard the sound of horse’s hoof, a rider was coming fast from behind. When it came close enough, he heard a man’s voice shouted, “Driver, does your passenger happen to be a child?”

Wei Xiaobao recognized the voice as Liu Yizhou’s; without waiting for the driver to reply, he poked his head out of the carriage and said with a laugh, “Liu Dage, are you looking for me?”

Liu Yizhou’s brow was beaded with sweat, his face was dusty; as soon as he saw Wei Xiaobao he called out, “Good, finally I found you!” From behind the carriage he galloped around to the front and shouted, “Roll out!”

Seeing his ill-expression, Wei Xiaobao was shocked; “Liu Dage,” he asked, “How did I offend you? Why are you so angry?”

Liu Yizhou brandished the horsewhip in his hand and lashed it out forcefully on the head of the mule pulling the carriage. The mule neighed in pain and reared on its hind legs, bringing the carriage up that the driver almost fell down. The driver shouted, “The sky is clear, the sun is shining, are you seeing a ghost? Why are you acting so unreasonably?”

Liu Yizhou shouted, “Laozi wants to act unreasonably!” Brandishing the whip one more time, he wound it around the driver’s whip and pulled it hard, throwing the driver to the ground, and immediately lashed the whip again and again, cursing with every strike, “Laozi wants to act unreasonably! Laozi wants to act unreasonably!”

The carriage driver struggled, but was unable to crawl back up, he could only curse ‘yeye’, ‘naynay’ [(paternal) grandfather and grandmother, respectively] left and right. Liu Yizhou struck heavier and heavier; blood started to splash as the whip went down relentlessly. Wei Xiaobao was greatly taken aback; he mused, “This carriage driver had neither grudge nor enmity with him, yet he beats him this bad, while he is actually rushing to get to me. Laozi is not his match, after he is done with the carriage driver, he will most likely beat me like that; the turn of events would be far from good.” Drawing the dagger from his boot, he lightly poked the mule’s buttocks.

The mule felt pain and was startled, it kicked back and then dashed wildly, pulling the large carriage along the main road. Liu Yizhou left the carriage driver, he slapped his horse’s back to give a chase, while calling out, “Good kid, if you have guts, don’t run!”

From the carriage Wei Xiaobao stuck out his head and called back, “Good kid, if you have guts, don’t pursue!”

Liu Yizhou whipped his horse to rush over. Although the mule was running very fast, it was, after all, pulling a large carriage; after running for a while, Liu Yizhou managed to close the distance. Wei Xiaobao was thinking of throwing the dagger toward Liu Yizhou, but thought that he would most likely miss, and would lose the dagger with which he protect himself instead. He yelled and shouted wildly, urging the mule to run faster. Suddenly there was a sharp wind by his ear, followed by a burning pain on the right side of his face as Liu Yizhou’s whip struck him. Hastily he pulled his head back into the carriage, from the slit on the carriage cover he could see the head of Liu Yizhou’s horse was already by the carriage’s side, only a few more steps, Liu Yizhou would then be able to jump into the carriage. With an inspiration in a moment of desperation, he put his hand into his pocket and got an ingot of silver, which he hurled out as hard as he could, it happened to hit the horse’s left eye. Blood spurting out of the horse’s left eye as its eyeball disintegrated and blinded instantly. The horse bolted toward the hillside. Liu Yizhou hastily pulled the reins, but the horse was hurt so bad that with a few fierce jumps it threw Liu Yizhou off its back. He rolled on the ground and immediately stood up, but the horse had already entered the forest, neighing repeatedly while galloping away.

Wei Xiaobao laughed aloud and called out, "Liu Dage, if you can't ride a horse, I advise you to catch a turtle and ride it!"

Liu Yizhou was very angry, he raised his chi and ran after the carriage. Wei Xiaobao jumped in fright and quickly urged the mule to run faster. When he turned his head around, he saw that although Liu Yizhou was about twenty, thirty zhang away from the carriage; he did not stop pursuing in large strides, it would not be easy to throw him off. Wei Xiaobao pulled his dagger and lightly poked the mule's buttocks again. Who would have thought that this time it was not working? The mule jumped up and down several times, suddenly it turned around and ran toward Liu Yizhou.

"Wrong way! Wrong way!" Wei Xiaobao yelled, "You dirty beast, I feed you but you help my enemy[1]. Now you're really putting laozi in a bad spot!" With all his strength he tried to pull the reins, but the mule was showing its true nature, how could he pull it back? Seeing the situation was far from good, Wei Xiaobao hastily jumped down from the carriage and ran into a forest by the side of the road.

With a big leap Liu Yizhou flew on top of him, while stretching out his left hand to grab the back of Wei Xiaobao's neck. Wei Xiaobao stabbed the dagger in his right hand backward, Liu Yizhou used his right hand to press Wei Xiaobao's arm downward, using the move 'Floating Cloud Running Water' he grabbed Wei Xiaobao's wrist and bent it backward toward his own arm so that the tip of the dagger was pointing toward Wei Xiaobao's throat.

"Little thief!" he shouted, "You still dare to resist me?" 'Slap! Slap!' with his left hand he slapped Wei Xiaobao's ears.

Wei Xiaobao's wrist was in so much pain; he felt a cool breeze on his throat and knew that his dagger could cut iron like mud, it would shear his throat like cutting a tofu. "Liu Dage," he said, smiling and giggling, "If you want to say something, just say it; we are on the same side, why play rough?"

Liu Yizhou spat on his face. "Pei! Who's on the same side with you? You ... you ... you, little thief, you dare to sweet talk and deceive my Fang Shimei in the Imperial Palace, and ... and slept with her on the same bed. This ... this ... I ... I ... I must kill you ..." The blue veins on his forehead were bulging, his eyes looked like they were about to spout fire, his left hand curled into a fist, which he held in front of Wei Xiaobao's face.

It was only then did Wei Xiaobao realize why Liu Yizhou was that angry, turned out it was because of Fang Yi; but how did he find out? Right now he was facing a 'thousand pounds hanging by a thread' situation, if he let his anger flared up and he increased the strength of his hand by 5%, a hole would immediately appear on his own throat. Thereupon he said with laugh, "Miss Fang is your sweetheart, how could I dare to be rude to her? In Miss Fang's heart there is only one man, you. From dawn to dusk, she is only thinking about you."

Liu Yizhou's anger immediately abated. "How do you know?" he asked. The dagger was pulled back several cun.

Wei Xiaobao said, "It was only because she asked me to save you that I took you out of the Palace. As soon as she learned that you were out of danger, her joy was indescribable."

Suddenly Liu Yizhou's anger flared up again; with a clenched teeth he said, "You, little son-of-a-b1tch, laozi does not want to receive your pity! I don't care if you saved me or not, but why did you deceive my Fang Shimei into agreeing to marry ... to become your wife?" The dagger advanced several cun.

“Uh,” Wei Xiaobao said, “How can there be such thing? Who told you that? Miss Fang is a ‘bashful flower obstructing the moon’ type of beautiful woman, only a handsome and established hero like you fit to marry her!"

Liu Yizhou's anger diminished thirty more percent, the dagger withdrew several cun back; he said, "You still want to deny? Fang Shimei has agreed to marry you and be your wife, right?" Wei Xiaobao laughed aloud. "What's so funny?" Liu Yizhou asked.

"Liu Dage," Wei Xiaobao said with a laugh, "Let me ask you: can a eunuch take a wife?"

Because of his anger, Liu Yizhou had rushed to pursue Wei Xiaobao, without remembering that Wei Xiaobao was a eunuch, and that eunuchs do not marry. Reminded by Wei Xiaobao's words, his heart was in full bloom, he could not help but burst out in laughter, but he did not release Wei Xiaobao's wrist. "Then why did you swindle my Fang Shimei into agreeing to marry you?" he asked.

"Where did you hear that from?" Wei Xiaobao asked.

"I heard it with my own ears, Fang Shimei was talking to Xiao Junzhu," Liu Yizhou said, "Are you saying they are lying?"

"Were they talking to each other, or did they tell you?" Wei Xiaobao asked.

Liu Yizhou hesitated before replying, "They were talking to each other."

What happened was that as Xu Tianchuan, Fang Yi and Mu Jianping set off toward Shijiazhuang, they had not travelled far when they came across Wu Lishen, Ao Biao and Liu Yizhou, three people. In the Qing Palace, Wu Lishen, three people were tortured; although their muscles and bones were not seriously injured, their bodies were beaten that their skin was broken and their flesh burst open. They were also on their way to Shijiazhuang, riding on a carriage, to recuperate from their wounds. Meeting each other by chance, they were very delighted. But Fang Yi's expression when she met Liu Yizhou was entirely different from in the past, other than greeted him with a "Liu Shige" when they met, she was totally indifferent, she did not even pay him any attention.

Twice, then three times, Liu Yizhou tried to pull her aside so that they could have a heart-to-heart talk, but Fang Yi was unwilling to leave Mu Jianping's side. Liu Yizhou was both anxious and angry, he pressed on tighter. Fang Yi said, "Liu Shige, from now on the two of us only share the Shixiong, Shimei sentiment, apart from this, don't mention anything, don't think anything."

Liu Yizhou was startled. "Wh ... why?" he asked.

"Nothing," Fang Yi coldly replied.

Liu Yizhou pulled her hand and anxiously said, "Shimei, you ..."

Fang Yi struggled hard to free herself and shouted, "Please show some respect!"

Suffering a major embarrassment, at the inn that night Liu Yizhou was tossing and turning without able to put his head down to rest. His mood surged, he crawled out quietly toward the window of Fang Yi and Mu Jianping's room. As expected, he heard the two of them were talking to each other in low voice.

Mu Jianping said, "You treated Liu Shige like that, wouldn't you make him broken-hearted?"

"What can I do?" Fang Yi replied, "The sooner he is broken-hearted, the sooner he will forget me, the sooner he won't be broken-hearted anymore."

Mu Jianping said, "Are you really going to marry ... marry that little child Wei Xiaobao? He is so young, can you be his wife?"

Fang Yi said, "It is you who want to marry this little monkey, therefore, you urge me to treat Shige well, am I right?"

"No, no, it's not that!" Mu Jianping hurriedly said, "In that case, you'd better marry Wei Dage sooner."

Fang Yi sighed and said, "I have made an oath, putting curse on myself; have you already forgotten? That day I said, 'By the Emperor of Heaven above and the Queen of Earth below, if Gui Gong-gong can rescue Liu Yizhou and bring him to safety, the lowly woman Fang Yi will be willing to be Gui Gong-gong’s wife, and will be loyal and dependable to my husband with singleness of heart for the rest of my life, even if Gui Gong-gong cannot take me as wife for real, I am dead set on taking care of him for a lifetime. If I am double-minded, let me be cut into ten thousand pieces and will not be reincarnated.' I also said, 'Xiao Junzhu is my witness.' I can't forget this, you must not forget it either."

"You did say those words," Mu Jianping said, "But I thought ... I thought that he was only joking, you don't need to take him seriously."

Fang Yi said, "I don't care if he was serious or was only joking, but as women, if we have personally agree to give ourselves to him in marriage, we must never go back on our promise, we must be faithful unto death[2]. Much less ... much less ..."

"Much less what?" Mu Jianping asked.

Fang Yi said, "I have thought carefully, even if I can deny the words I said, but he ... he had shared the same bed with the two of us, slept under the same quilt ..."

"Pfft!" Mu Jianping stifled her laughter, "Wei Dage is really naughty. He also said that in the ‘Legend of Heroic Deeds’ there is a chapter called something like ‘Mu Wangye subdued Yunnan with three arrows, Gui Gong-gong embraces beautiful women with his pair of hands’. Shijie, he did embrace you and kiss you!" Fang Yi heaved a sigh and no longer said anything.

[1] Lit. 'eat inside, cling outside'; it is a term meant to refer to someone who benefits/is raised by one person, but instead helps outsiders (usually, the enemy). (Courtesy of Ren Wo Xing)

[2] My dictionary has this explanation to this phrase: Confucian ban on widow remarrying.
    Last edited by foxs; 03-04-11 at 09:16 AM.

Thanks for the update foxs.

I wonder if Fang Yi is slowly falling for WXB for real. She's like 4 or 5 yrs older than him. I still can't get over the fact that he's still a little kid!

你这畜生吃里扒外,要老子的好看: "You dirty beast, I feed you but you help my enemy. Now you're really putting laozi in a bad spot!"

吃里扒外 literally means to 'eat inside, cling outside'; it is a term meant to refer to someone who benefits/is raised by one person, but instead helps outsiders (usually, the enemy).
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by foxs View Post
    [I]Crazee, Tweety ... Wang Yu, David Chiang, Ti Lung, Chen Kuan Tay, Fu Sheng, Lo Lieh, Yueh Hua, Wang Chung ... mmm ... who else? I was too young to remember any of the story, but I do remember those names. Tapes? What are those? Seriously, I know what you mean, but I don't remember waiting for new episode. The reason was that I came across the books first before the tapes. Hence I was not too interested to have my face glued in front of the TV set.
    Well, I really envy you and all those who can read mandarin. I was too lazy to take up as it was voluntary and it was conducted during the weekends....sort of regret only much later. The betamax / VHS days were at one time a real entertainment industry. We have people who owns the players and links up neighbours who will pay monthly fees to watch these HK serials and they play it a couple of times a day players of course were expensive .....sigh, those were the days.
    cheerio..

thanks foxs!!!

Default Chapter 16 - Part 2

Sky, I think you are right, too bad Jin Yong did not give these women more screen time. Ren, thank you very much, I fixed it per your suggestion. Crazee, if you have been around this forum long enough, you'd know that I am not Chinese literate. I think we have a lot in common. Just like you, my parents also had me learn Chinese when I was a kid, once a week. But since I did not use it, what I know is not enough to read, much less translate, wuxia novels. It is enough, however, to help me understand Chinese with the help of this marvel called the internet. I rely heavily on online dictionary. JoeLee, you are welcome.

---------------------------------------------------------
    Listening from outside the window, Liu Yizhou felt as if his five internal organs were burning, as if the sky was spinning and the earth was turning, his knees went weak. He heard Fang Yi continued, "Actually, although he is young, he can talk smooth, and his treatment to the two of us is not bad at all. This time we part, I wonder when we will see him again."

Mu Jianping stifled another laugh, with a low voice she said, "Shijie, you miss him!"

"If I miss him then I miss him, so what?" Fang Yi said.

"That's right," Mu Jianping said, "I miss him too. Several times I tried to invite him to come with us to Shijiazhuang, but he always said that he has an important business to attend. Shijie, do you think he was telling the truth, or was he lying to us?"

Fang Yi said, "When we stopped by for a snack earlier, I overheard him chatting with the carriage driver, he was asking the way to Shanxi. Apparently he is going to Shanxi."

Mu Jianping said, "He is so young, yet traveling alone to Shanxi; what would happen if he came across bad people along the way?"

Fang Yi sighed and said, "I was thinking of asking Xu Laoyezi not to escort us, but to escort him instead, but I know Xu Laoyezi would not agree."

"Shijie," Mu Jianping said, "I ... I think ..."

"What is it?" Fang Yi asked.

Mu Jianping sighed. "Never mind," she said.

Fang Yi said, "Too bad both of us are injured, otherwise, we can accompany him going to Shanxi. Now that we met Wu Shishu, Liu Shige, we cannot go to look for him."

Listening to this part, Liu Yizhou's head was dizzy. 'Bang!' his forehead bumped onto the window frame. "What's that?" Fang Yi and Mu Jianping asked together.

Liu Yizhou's heart was burning with jealousy, it was as if he turned mad; his only thought was, "I must kill that boy, I must kill that boy!" Rushing toward the front courtyard, he pulled a horse, pushed open the inn's gate, mounted the horse and rushed off. He thought that since Wei Xiaobao was going to Shanxi, he headed to the west.

Galloping until daybreak, he asked the way to Shanxi, then rushed along the main road in pursuit. Each time he came across a large carriage, he would ask, “Does the one sitting on the carriage happen to be a child?”

Listening to Liu Yizhou, Wei Xiaobao knew that Liu Yizhou's knowledge came from listening to Xiao Junzhu and Fang Yi's conversation, presumably he was eavesdropping; therefore, what he knew must be limited. Wei Xiaobao laughed and said, "Liu Shige, you have fallen into your Shimei's trick."

"What trick?" Liu Yizhou asked.

Wei Xiaobao said, "Miss Fang told me that she wanted to make you mad, because she put her heart and soul to save you, but you did not have her in your heart at all."

"How ... how can that be?" Liu Yizhou asked anxiously, "How could she say that I do not have her in my heart at all?"

"You gave her a silver hairpin, didn't you?" Wei Xiaobao asked, "There was a plum blossom on the head of the hairpin."

"Yes, yes!" Liu Yizhou replied, "How do you know?"

Wei Xiaobao said, "During the tangled battle in the Palace, she dropped the hairpin, and she seemed very anxious about it. She said that it was given by her sweetheart, so whatever happens she must not lose it, even if she has to stake her life, she must find it."

Liu Yizhou was taken aback. "She ... she is that good to me?" he muttered to himself.

"Of course," Wei Xiaobao said, "How can it be false?"

"And then what happened?" Liu Yizhou asked.

"You twist my hand like this, I am in great pain," Wei Xiaobao said, "How can I talk?"

"Alright!" Liu Yizhou said. Hearing Fang Yi’s deep affection toward him, his rage had dissipated for the most part; also, he thought that this child could not escape from his palm anyway, thereupon he released his grip and asked, “And then what happened?”

Being grasped by him, Wei Xiaobao’s arm went numb and was hurting bad; he slowly put the dagger back into his boot, and saw that there were some red and swollen finger prints on his wrist. “Mu Palace people love to grab other people’s wrist. You are like this, Bai Hanfeng was also like this. The ‘Turtle Grasping Technique’ of the Mu Family Fist Technique is very well-developed.”

When saying the ‘Turtle Grabbing Technique’, the word ‘turtle’ was spoken very obscurely that Liu Yizhou did not hear it clearly, but he did not take any notice anyway; Liu Yizhou asked, “Fang Shimei lost the silver hairpin I gave her, and then what happened?”

Wei Xiaobao said, “You have gripped me with your ‘Turtle Claw’ that I am unable to breathe easily, I must take a rest before I can tell you anything. In short, whether you can or cannot take Miss Fang as your wife, it involves a great responsibility.”

This time Liu Yizhou could hear the words ‘Turtle Claw’ clearly, but his rage stemmed from the fact that Wei Xiaobao has swindled Fang Yi into agreeing to marry him; he really did not care if Wei Xiaobao took advantage of him orally. Also, hearing Wei Xiaobao said, ‘Whether you can or cannot take Miss Fang as your wife, it involves a great responsibility’, he was quite concerned; therefore, he said urgently, “Tell me quickly, don’t dawdle.”

Wei Xiaobao said, “I must sit down first and slowly rest before I’ll have the energy to talk.” Liu Yizhou was helpless; he had no choice but to follow Wei Xiaobao to a big tree by the forest. Seeing Wei Xiaobao sat on the tree roots, he also sat down by his side.

Wei Xiaobao sighed. “What a pity, what a pity,” he said.

Liu Yizhou immediately felt uneasy, “What do you mean ‘what a pity’?” he anxiously asked.

“What a pity your Shimei is not here,” Wei Xiaobao replied, “Otherwise, if she could sit side by side with you like this, discussing passion and talking of love with you, she would be very happy.”

Liu Yizhou was greatly delighted, he could not refrain from laughing as he asked, “How do you know?”

“I heard her personally saying it,” Wei Xiaobao said, “That day when she dropped the silver hairpin, she staked her life and braved enormous danger to rush through three palace gates heavily guarded by the Imperial Bodyguards. Although heavily injured, she managed to kill three Qing Palace’s Imperial Bodyguards, until she was finally able to retrieve that silver hairpin back. I said, ‘Miss Fang, you were very stupid, it’s just a silver hairpin, how many copper coins does it worth? I’ll give you a thousand taels of silver; in one breath we can easily find three, four thousand silver hairpins just like it. Even if you wear ten pins every day, different pins each day, in one year, three hundred and sixty days, you will wear new hairpins daily.’ Miss Fang said, ‘You are just a kid, what do you know? This is a gift from my dear one, Liu Shige. Even if you give me a thousand pins, ten thousand pins, gold hairpins or pearl hairpins, how can it beat this silver hairpin, or a copper hairpin, or an iron hairpin, which my dear one Liu Shige gave me?’ Liu Dage, tell me, don’t you agree that Miss Fang is muddleheaded?”

Listening to this, Liu Yizhou was beaming from ear to ear that he could not close his mouth. “Then … then why did she say different things when she was talking to Xiao Junzhu in the middle of the night?” he asked.

“You were eavesdropping outside their window in the middle of the night, weren’t you?” Wei Xiaobao asked.

Liu Yizhou blushed slightly, he said, “I wasn’t eavesdropping, I wanted to go pee in the middle of the night, and happened to hear them.”

“Liu Dage,” Wei Xiaobao said, “You are at fault here. Why didn’t you pee anywhere else, but peed outside Miss Fang’s window? Won’t it stink to high heaven and the stench overwhelm the two ‘bashful flower obstructing the moon’ ladies?”

“Yes, yes!” Liu Yizhou said, “And then what did my Fang Shimei say?”

“My tummy is very hungry,” Wei Xiaobao said, “I don’t have the energy to talk. Quickly go and buy something for me to eat. Only after I am full that I will tell you those corny, sickening words your Fang Shimei said.” He was hoping to swindle Liu Yizhou into agreeing to take him into a small town, so that he could slip away in the crowd.

“What corny, sickening words?” Liu Yizhou asked, “Fang Shimei has always been very proper, she has never said any corny, sickening words.”

“Fine, she is very proper, she has never said any corny, sickening words,” Wei Xiaobao said, “She said ‘my dear one Liu Shige’! She also said, ‘my considerate and handsome Liu Shige’. Damn it, you may not find it corny and sickening, but I was embarrassed just listening to it. Humph, she was not ashamed to speak those kinds of words.”

Liu Yizhou’s heart was in full bloom, but he said, “It’s impossible, how can Fang Shimei speak those kinds of words?”

“Fine, fine!” Wei Xiaobao said, “Just consider me speaking incorrectly. Liu Dage, I want to find something to eat, excuse me, I must leave.” While speaking, he stood up.

Listening to his story, Liu Yizhou’s heart was unbearably itchy; how could he let Wei Xiaobao leave? Hastily he gently pushed down Wei Xiaobao’s shoulder and said, “Wei Xiongdi, don’t leave too quickly! I have brought some flat cake with me as my dry rations. Why don’t you eat it first? After you are done talking, when we get to the town ahead, I will invite you to drink wine and eat some noodles to apologize to you.” While saying that, he opened the bundle he carried on his back and took several flat cakes.

Wei Xiaobao took a cake; he tore a piece and chewed it several times before saying, “This flat cake is neither salty nor sour, what kind of goodies is this? Here, try this for me.” And he handed the torn piece of flat cake back to Liu Yizhou.

Liu Yizhou said, “This cake has hardened, naturally the flavor is not too good. We’ll just have to deal with it to allay our hunger, we’ll talk about it later.” While saying that, he tore a piece and ate it.

Wei Xiaobao said, “I wonder how these cakes would taste?” He rummaged through the flat cakes to select one. After flipping around several times, he said, "Damn it, I want to go pee; I will eat later." He went to a big tree nearby, turned his body around, pulled his pants and peed. Liu Yizhou fixed his gaze on him, he was afraid Wei Xiaobao would suddenly run away. After urinating, Wei Xiaobao returned to Liu Yizhou's side, flipped around the flat cakes again, before finally he picked one, tore a piece, and ate it.