Page 40 of 158 FirstFirst ... 30313233343536373839404142434445464748495090140 ... LastLast

Thread: The Deer and The Cauldron

I did not expect anybody to read yet, since this is still Saturday morning ...

Well, I am not sure which edition my book is, but based on Athena's article, it seems to me that it is the third edition (WXB's 'deceased' friend being Shi Ruidong and not Hai Ruidong). What I mean by the part is not in the book is that it is not in my book, but it is in Minford's work, as well as in the online version. No, it is not my own imagination, and no, I have never seen any adaptation. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable would be able to shed some light on this? Assuming that my book is indeed the third edition, could it be that Jin Yong dropped this part?

FYI, I am using the online version as my source, just because if I have to read without online dictionary, it will take me ten times longer. But I constantly compare the online version with my printed book. If there is any discrepancy, I use the book version, for example, the online version keep saying that WXB was fourteen, fifteen years old, but my book says he was thirteen, fourteen years old.

Quote Originally Posted by foxs View Post
    I can't speak for the others, but for me, I suppose that means I don't have much of a life, LOL . I check the translation forum everyday for updates. Thanks for clearing up the confusion, foxs.

Quote Originally Posted by tweety365 View Post
    I can't speak for the others, but for me, I suppose that means I don't have much of a life, LOL . I check the translation forum everyday for updates. Thanks for clearing up the confusion, foxs.
    no no no

this means your spcnet and foxs second best fan... behind me

I check the forums twice a day for updates
    Ali Derhamy

3 times a day

i have the "official published" chinese version and that 3 lama scene isn't in the book. after they eat, they go straight to qingliang temple

I log in or visit this forum many times a day according to how free I am, morning before I log in to my company's server, morning break, lunch, afternoon break, before knocking off...and sometimes before going to bed.....

I don't own any of Jin yong's book...heh heh heh I don't know how to read mandarin but I own many sets of his serial adaptations CDs I mean......
    cheerio..

Quote Originally Posted by aliderhamy View Post
    no no no

this means your spcnet and foxs second best fan... behind me

I check the forums twice a day for updates
    Hehe, looks like tough competition to be this forum's #1 fan.

hey fox what online version are you using? my friend found a website that had the entire second edition of jin yong's books in html format in mandarin. is it that one?

Quote Originally Posted by foxs View Post

Well, I am not sure which edition my book is, but based on Athena's article, it seems to me that it is the third edition (WXB's 'deceased' friend being Shi Ruidong and not Hai Ruidong). What I mean by the part is not in the book is that it is not in my book, but it is in Minford's work, as well as in the online version. No, it is not my own imagination, and no, I have never seen any adaptation. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable would be able to shed some light on this? Assuming that my book is indeed the third edition, could it be that Jin Yong dropped this part?

FYI, I am using the online version as my source, just because if I have to read without online dictionary, it will take me ten times longer. But I constantly compare the online version with my printed book. If there is any discrepancy, I use the book version, for example, the online version keep saying that WXB was fourteen, fifteen years old, but my book says he was thirteen, fourteen years old.

I remember reading somewhere that JY changed a few things overall in order to put the lama's in a better light. Like the golden wheel monk is no longer a lama. Maybe this is one of his changes too? This scene was also removed from the DOMD 2008 adaption I believe (which is supposed to follow the book very closely). Which made it really weird because just suddenly WXB knew how strong Shuang Er is... (I thought the director just cut the scene or something....)
    Proud to be part of http://www.asianfanatics.net/

The third edition removed the part about the llamas. See here (post 6)

lol... don't you mean lamas?

Yeah, I did. I must have been thinking about the drama llama.

Quote Originally Posted by Lzydude View Post
    lol... don't you mean lamas?
    He means llamas. The older editions saw Wei Xiaobao have some exciting adventures with llamas and alpacas, but Jin Yong removed them in the 3rd edition because he felt it slowed down the plot. Which was a pity, as it meant we don't see Wei Xiaobao's poignant friendship with a camelid named Ping'er, or Shuang'er's impressive feat of lifting an alpaca in each hand. Although this may spoil things, I'm glad he kept the subplot with the prairie dogs and capybaras.

Thanks Foxs, it always a pleasure to read the translations

Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    He means llamas. The older editions saw Wei Xiaobao have some exciting adventures with llamas and alpacas, but Jin Yong removed them in the 3rd edition because he felt it slowed down the plot. Which was a pity, as it meant we don't see Wei Xiaobao's poignant friendship with a camelid named Ping'er, or Shuang'er's impressive feat of lifting an alpaca in each hand. Although this may spoil things, I'm glad he kept the subplot with the prairie dogs and capybaras.
    ROFL... this just made my day. Thanks pannonian.

Thanks foxs, you're the captain of this ship so take your time. we'll just cruise along for the ride hehe

Default Chapter 17 - Part 5

Quote Originally Posted by tweety365 View Post
    I can't speak for the others, but for me, I suppose that means I don't have much of a life, LOL
    What does it say about me? I translate for leisure ... Thanks tweety, ali, lzydude, crazee, for your 'devotion' . owlHoot, morbiuz, you are welcome, it's my pleasure. lzydude, I used to use qiqi.com, then Ace pointed this link http://jyjh.net.cn/jyqj/20/index.htm. Athlon, devilz, thanks for the confirmation, now I am convinced that my hard copy is of the third edition. pannonian, CFT, thanks for the additional info on llamas ... This is a true story: a while back, someone mentioned 'lama', and my wife thought that it was the animal who loves to squirt water on Captain Haddock's face ...

----------------------------------------------------------------
    A big and fat lama stretched out his big hand, but he did not take the pearls, he reached farther up and grabbed Shuang'er's wrist and pulled her outside. Wei Xiaobao anxiously said, "You want more money, I have some. Don't play rough!" But he saw a yellow shadow flashed, the lama leaped up to the air and flew backward. "Good skill!" Wei Xiaobao shouted in his heart. He saw the lama's body rapidly fall to the ground, but his head was down and his feet up. 'Splosh!' his big and fat head went straight into a swamp, all the way to his chest, his legs were kicking wildly.

Wei Xiaobao was pleasantly surprised; he wondered what kind of prominent martial art move this lama was executing. 'Wah! Wah!' the other two lamas were shouting randomly, while rushing forward to grab his body and pull him out of the mud. The fat lama's face was wet with mud; he was in such a sorry condition. Fortunately the heavy rain the previous night had soaked the dirt of the roadside swamp so that the lama was not injured.

Wei Xiaobao laughed aloud and told the carriage driver, "Quickly go!"

Shuang'er raised the pearls in her hand and asked, "Xianggong, shall I give these pearls to them?"

Before Wei Xiaobao could reply, he saw the three lamas drew their sabers from their waists and ferociously charged toward them. Shuang'er snatched the whip from the driver's hand and flicked it outward, it coiled around the saber in a lama's hand. She pulled the whip back and caught the saber with her left hand. She flicked the whip in her right hand again, and the saber in the second lama's hand was snatched away.

"Aiyo!" the third lama cried out, and stopped dead in his track. Shuang'er flicked her whip again, but this time it coiled around the lama's neck. She pulled him toward the carriage, and then without any trouble snatched the saber in the lama's hand.

The lama's throat was strangled by the whip, his eyes turned white, his tongue was stretched out, his face was instantly devoid of any blood. The other two lamas rushed toward Shuang'er in converging attack from left and right, trying to save their companion. Shuang'er leaped up, her left foot stood on the axle of the carriage, her right foot repeatedly kicked, the acupoints on the two lamas' heads were sealed, they passed out and fell to the ground. She waved her hand to loosen up the whip. The lama had been suffocated for a good while, he also lost his consciousness and fell down.

Wei Xiaobao was extremely delighted; he sprang up and called out, "Shuang'er, good Shuang'er, turns out your martial art skill is superb."

Shuang'er showed a faint smile and said, "It was nothing, these three bandits are useless."

"If I had known earlier, I would not have to worry for half a day," Wei Xiaobao said. Jumping down from the carriage, he kicked the body of a lama. "What do you want?" he asked. But the lama was still fainted and had not regained his consciousness.

Shuang'er kicked his waist. The lama groaned and regained his consciousness. Shuang'er said, "Xianggong asks what do you want?"

"Miss ..." the lama said, "Miss can do ... do magic?"

Shuang'er smiled. "Answer quickly!" she said, "What are you up to?"

The lama said, "We ... we are lamas from Mount Wutai's Bodhisattva Peak ... Great Manjushri Temple."

Shuang'er frowned. "What lama or not lama?" she said, "Rubbish! You are speaking vulgar language."

"Lamas are Buddhist monks of Tibet," Wei Xiaobao explained.

"Turns out you are Buddhist monks," Shuang'er said. She gently kicked the lama again and said, "If you are Buddhist monks, how come you do not shave your whole head clean?"

"We are lamas," the lama said, "Not Buddhist monks."

"What?" Shuang'er said, "Still won't admit it? Xianggong says you are Buddhist monks, then you are Buddhist monks!" She kicked the 'tian huo' [heavenly opening] acupoint on his waist, the lama felt the pain went straight into his bones and marrow; he could not bear it and shouting and screaming in loud voice. The pain grew worse, and his shout grew louder.

The other two lamas slowly regained their consciousness, hearing their companion was screaming like a pig being slaughtered, they were aghast and immediately asked in Tibetan what had happened. The other lama replied, and then called out in Chinese, "I am a Buddhist monk, I am a Buddhist monk. I am whatever Miss ... Miss said what I am. Please ... please quickly ... unseal my acupoint."

Shuang'er laughed. "Whatever Miss says does not count, it's whatever Xianggong says that count," she said, "Xianggong, what do you say he is?"

Wei Xiaobao laughed. "I say he is a Buddhist nun!" he said.

The lama really could not bear the pain, he hastily said, "I am a Buddhist nun, I am a Buddhist nun!" Wei Xiaobao and Shuang'er roared in laughter.

Shuang'er lightly kicked the 'qi hu' [chi door] acupoint on his neck with her left foot, the severe pain stopped immediately. But the lama was still screaming, "I am a Buddhist nun, I am a Buddhist nun!"

Wei Xiaobao stopped laughing. He said, "You are people who have left home, why did you want to rob our belongings?"

"Xiao Ren deserves to die," the lama replied, "Next time we won't dare to do it again."

"You are still thinking of next time?" Wei Xiaobao asked.

The lama said, "I said we won't dare, we really won't dare. Even after a hundred years have passed, we still won't dare."

Wei Xiaobao said, "You do not chant Buddhist scripture in the temple, but coming down the mountain instead. What are you up to?"

The lama replied, "It's ... it's Shifu who sends us down the mountain."

"Your Shifu sends you down the mountain to rob gold, silver and jewels?" Wei Xiaobao asked.

"No ... not that," the lama replied, "We are going to Beijing ..." he had just spoken to this point, the other big and fat lama coughed.

Wei Xiaobao cast a glance toward him, he saw that fat lama repeatedly winked his eyes, obviously he was signaling his companion not to tell the truth. At first Wei Xiaobao was thinking that these lamas were provoking evil designs upon seeing riches, robbing and plundering, but doing nothing serious. Manchurians believed in lamas; whenever there was a religious ritual to be performed in the Palace, they would always invite lamas to chant the sutras. If the imperial household was like that, the princes and dukes and other royalties need not be mentioned. Therefore, quite a number of lamas, who did not need to observe the Qing law, went on the rampage in Beijing. Wei Xiaobao was thinking of torturing these lamas for a while, and after he had enough fun, he would simply let them go. However, seeing the big fat lama's expression, he knew there was something else going on. He said, "These three fellows are playing tricks. Shuang'er, give each one a kick, let these three people whine on for days, and then we are off!"

"Yes!" Shuang'er complied. She could also see that the big fat lama was playing tricks, hence she kicked him first on his 'tian huo' acupoint. The lama immediately screamed.

Shuang'er walked over to the first lama and lifted her foot as if she was going to kick. The lama was shocked; he hastily said, "Don't kick, I'll tell you everything. Shifu sends us to Beijing to deliver a letter."

"What letter?" Wei Xiaobao asked.

The lama said, "This ... we can't let you see this letter. If we show it to other people, Shi ... Shifu will definitely kill us."

"Take it out!" Wei Xiaobao said, "If you don't, I'll kick you." While saying that, he took a step forward.

The lama did not know that Wei Xiaobao's martial art skill was limited, if he was kicked, the pain would be the same as if he was tickled. Seeing Wei Xiaobao lifting up his foot, he busily said, "I don't ... I don't have it with me."

"Take it out!" Wei Xiaobao said.

The lama had no choice, he went over to the fat lama and mumbled some Tibetan words. The fat lama also used Tibetan to reply; while squealing like a slaughtered pig, he appeared to be shouting some disjointed Tibetan words so that his voice was even more unpleasant to the ears. From the tone of his voice and his expression, Wei Xiaobao deduced that the fat lama did not allow the other lama to take the letter out. Thereupon he walked over to the fat lama and fiercely kicked the fat lama's forehead. The big and fat lama fainted instantly. The other lama then took a small oilcloth package from the fat lama's bosom, and trembling with fear, he presented the package with both hands.

Wei Xiaobao received the package. Shuang'er also took out a small package from her bosom and produced a tiny pair of scissors. She cut the package open, as expected, there was a letter inside. There were two lined of Tibetan script written on the envelope. "To whom is this letter addressed to?" Wei Xiaobao asked.

"To our Shibo [older martial uncle]," the lama replied.

Wei Xiaobao reached out and 'rip!' he tore the envelope open. The two lamas groaned repeatedly. Wei Xiaobao saw several lines of curvy Tibetan script written on a sheet of yellow paper, on the bottom, drawn in cinnabar ink, there was a weird-looking seal, it was totally unintelligible. Even if this letter was written in Chinese script, Wei Xiaobao would not understand. Thereupon he handed it over to Shuang'er and asked, "What does it say?"

Shuang'er did not know either; she turned to the lama, "Xianggong asks you: what does it say? Tell us quickly! If you speak half a word of lie, I will kick your acupoint immediately and never unseal it again. Humph, I will wait for at least three days and three nights before unsealing it."

The lama received the letter, looked at it over and over, and stammered, "This ... this is ..."

"What this or that?" Wei Xiaobao said, "Tell me quickly!"

"Yes, yes!" the lama replied, "The letter says, the person Shixiong was asking about ..." He had just spoken that sentence, the other lama suddenly mumbled some unintelligible words. Shuang'er leaped toward him and kicked him on the 'tian huo' acupoint. The lama's words turned into screaming and wailing.

The first lama's countenance changed greatly; with a trembling voice he said, "The letter says ... says that the person we are looking for, we can't find it even after searching high and low. He is definitely ... definitely not on Mount Wutai."

Wei Xiaobao saw the lama's eyes were evasive while repeatedly swallowing his own saliva as he was talking, he thought, "Although I don't understand your bird's cry or dog's bark, looking at your expression, I can tell that you are lying. It's just that this fellow is too stupid, even when telling a lie, he is not convincing." He said to Shuang'er, "This lama is lying to us."

Shuang'er said, "Since he is that bad, we can't spare him." She raised her foot and kicked his 'tian huo' acupoint.

The lama cried out, "You ... just kill me. My Shixiong said that ... that if we tell you what the letter says, we ... the three of us will not live. You ... you kill me quickly."

"Ignore him, let's go!" Wei Xiaobao said. Together with Shuang'er, they leaped onto the carriage.

The carriage driver saw that although these two were young, unexpectedly they were able to deal with the three lamas and made them hovering between life and death. He was full of admiration and did not stop praising them. Wei Xiaobao said in a low voice, "When we get to the small town ahead, you may need to change. This string of pearls must be kept someplace else."

[The book continued with the following:]

After the two of them finished eating the noodles, Wei Xiaobao said, "You are wearing women's clothes, a lot of people along the way will look at you because you are too pretty. When we get to the small town ahead, you may need to change. This string of pearls must be kept someplace else."
    Last edited by foxs; 03-28-11 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Add title

i noticed that all of jin yong's novels online are the second editions. has anyone found his 3rd edition novels online?

and fox, i'd go to qiqi, but unfortunately, it looks like it's blocked here in china

Thanks foxs.

Thanks Foxs!!!

well thanks a lot foxs....dont listen to others... I am the #1 fan of yours and spcnet