Page 46 of 158 FirstFirst ... 36373839404142434445464748495051525354555696146 ... LastLast

Thread: The Deer and The Cauldron

Quote Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
    The omissions of Milford in later chapters are even more ridiculous. The last few chapters are more like a summary than translations. That's more the reason for the dislike of Milford. not so much how he changed the names (because although weird for those familiar with the story, they are understandable and as you said it, they let the reader understand the subtlety of the naming)
    Wow, Athlon! I didn't even know that....I mean all this time I've been thinking that maybe since it was JY's last novel he got tired of it and just wanted to end the story, without worrying about loose ends. For the translator to take that kind of liberty seems almost criminal.

Yeah, and the books cost an arm and an leg. I don't think it is right to charge so much for translated work. Even the original books are nowhere near that price. It seems like the publishers are punishing non-Chinese fans for wanting to enjoy JY's story .

Quote Originally Posted by KChill View Post
    Crazee, I think we should always assume that there is a lurker or newbie reading these posts and just use the spoiler tag regardless. Some people on here assume that everyone here is either Asian, has some Chinese language background, or familiar with wuxia classics. Almost 10 out of 10 non-Asian American's (like me) wouldn't be able to tell you who WXB is if both their parent's lives depended on it. If you don't believe me try asking some.
    Oh, So sorry. No intention to spoil anybody's fun in this forum or any forum for that matter - that why I ask if it's a spoiler.
    Hi friends in the forum, if I had spoiled your fun due to my spoiler, thousand apologies...it was unintentional.
    I guess because lots of my friends are Jing Yong fans as such such statements are so common, like, xiao long nu, - cold and beautiful, Huang rong, - smart and beautiful, li mo chou....evil and so on.
    cheerio..

Wow, Athlon! I didn't even know that....I mean all this time I've been thinking that maybe since it was JY's last novel he got tired of it and just wanted to end the story, without worrying about loose ends. For the translator to take that kind of liberty seems almost criminal.
    It's true. If someone's There is someone who put the chinese text and the milford translation together. Google for "babywords deer and cauldron" and see it for yourself. You'd notice that after like chapter 20, the ratio chinese/english is completely off. It's more like 3:1 instead of 1:1 (I even feel that the ratio should be 1:3, because you need to write more english words to catch the feeling of chinese)
    Proud to be part of http://www.asianfanatics.net/

Also, although I love Foxs and the work that he does translating, sometimes I struggle with his reluctance to fully attempt to translate everything other than people's names. Sure, there may be no perfect translation of some names, but I understand things like "the Helmsman" "The Triad Society" and "the Mystic Dragon" much easier than reading Chinese names that mean nothing to me. Isn't translation really about assuming the reader does not know any of the source language?
    Foxs usually gives an explanation for the term when it first makes an appearance and then uses it consistently throughout the translation. Otherwise you would have to literally every single character for names, places, etc.

Chen Jinnan becomes Chen Close-to-the-South?
    Wei Xiaobao becaomes Wei Little-Treasure?
    Beijing becomes Northern Capital?

Default Chapter 18 - Part 11

Smurf, Crazee, thanks for your comment. Sky, thanks, it was quiet. How's yours? Still not get a full night sleep? KChill, Athlon, Tweety, CFT, thank you for your input. Frankly, I have never given any consideration to my 'audience', I know perhaps I should, but I started translating not because of my literary talent (to be precise: lack of it), but because I love wuxia and wanted to contribute something. As I mentioned before, I keep hoping that someday, those real translators will be back and entertain us all. In the meantime, I am offering my meager skill for those who are willing to read.

KChill, please see the first post of this thread for my approach in translating this particular novel. FYI, it is not because of my 'reluctance' that I do not translate those terms. It is more because I am not able to, even if I wanted to. When comparing my work with existing one, truly I am ashamed. My translation sounds too literal, not poetic at all. I am incapable to capture the poetic nature of Jin Yong's names/titles. CFT gave several example, but just look at this:

Ling Jing Si (virtual environment temple) - Holy Precinct Monastery
    Cheng Guang (clear light) - Father Aureole
    Cheng Xin (clear heart/mind) - Brother Cordial
    Li Chun Yuan (lovely/beautiful spring courtyard) - Vernal Delight

I can't come up with those 'better-sounding' English terms.

Besides, the original Chinese uses appellations that do not have direct English equivalent. 'Dashi' and 'Zhenren' came to mind. Minford would have translated everything to 'Father' or 'Brother'. IMHO, 'helmsman' does not carry the same meaning as 'Zongduozhu'. If someone can suggest a good equivalent, I am willing to change the term, starting from chapter 1. Same thing with 'heaven and earth society' vs 'triads' and 'divine' vs 'mystic'.

--------------------------------------------------------
    “What a close call!” Wei Xiaobao mused, “After rebuking him a little, I need to cover it up. I have to say a few nice things to make him happy. He changed the ‘Snake Island’ to ‘Divine Dragon Island’; he also knew the fat pig Liu Yan, most probably he is a member of Shen Long Jiao.” After cocking his head and looking at the stone tablet for half a day, he said, “The following seems to say ‘long life as heaven … heaven … heaven …’ heaven what?”

The Fat Toutuo immediately looked tense, “Look carefully,” he said, “Long life as heaven what?”

“It looks like the character … the character … um, character ‘qi’ [even/level with]. Right, it must be ‘long-life is the same as the Heaven's’!”

The Fat Toutuo was greatly delighted, he repeatedly rubbed his hands and said, “This sentence does exist. And then what?”

Wei Xiaobao pointed to the stone tablet and said, “These characters are really squiggly, they are hard to recognize. Ah right, this must me ‘Hong’ character, ‘Hong Jiaozhu’, three characters, and then there’s ‘Shen Long’ two characters! Look here, these are ‘shen tong guang da’, four characters [magical power is extensive].”

“Wow!” Fat Toutuo exclaimed loudly, he jumped up and down and said, “Hong Jiaozhu really has such good fortune, his long-life is the same as the Heaven's? It is written on this thousand years old stone tablet?”

Wei Xiaobao said, “On top of that, it is written that this is … this is a monument established by Tang Taizong Li Shimin[12], who sent Qin Shubao, Cheng Yaojin to erect it. It is clearly written on this stone tablet that during the Tang Dynasty, there was a military master called Xu Maogong, who knew events that happened a thousand years before and a thousand years after, who foretold that after a thousand years, during the Great Qing Dynasty, there will be Hong Jiaozhu of Shen Long Jiao, whose magical power is extensive and whose long-life is the same as the Heaven's.”

The storytellers in Yangzhou’s teahouses often narrated the stories of Sui and Tang dynasties, which he had heard many times. The names Cheng Yaojin and Xu Maogong were deeply etched in his mind. Actually Xu Maogong was the great general of the founding of the Tang Dynasty, Xu Ji, who shared the same fame as Li Jing[13], the (National) Duke of Ying Li Ji[14]; he was absolutely not an ox-nosed military master who pinched fingers and making calculation to know the past and the future; but how would Wei Xiaobao know about it? He was simply trying to paint a living spirit, living image picture to swindle the Fat Toutuo, to make him confused and disoriented, so that the eighteen Shaolin monks could seize the opportunity to save him. As for ‘Hong Jiaozhu’s magical power is extensive and his long-life is the same as the Heaven's’ and so on, he heard it in the big house of the Zhuang family, when Zhang Laosan and the other Shen Long Jiao people mentioning it. Sure enough, as soon as the Fat Toutuo heard this, he grabbed his own head and scratched his own ears in infinite joy, his mouth was opened wide and he could not close it again.

Wei Xiaobao said, “I wonder if there is something else written on the back of this big stone.”

“Yes!” the Fat Toutuo said. He walked around to look at the back of the stone tablet.

Wei Xiaobao took a sudden big stride forward and jumped backward. The Fat Toutuo was startled, and hastily reached out to grab. Four Shaolin monks from both sides simultaneously waved their palms to strike. The Fat Toutuo did not have any choice but to send a fist to ward off. By this time Wei Xiaobao had already hidden behind the Shaolin monks. In an instant four more Shaolin monks stepped forward.

Eight Shaolin monks constantly circle around the Fat Toutuo in fast motion, while their hands continuously sent out attack after attack. It did not matter if the attack hit the target or not, as soon as one strike failed, the next strike arrived. Sixteen hands struck from eight directions; obviously it was a well-trained formation. The Fat Toutuo’s defense was very tight, but with one against eight, right away he sensed that he would not be able to endure.

‘Slap! Slap!’ a Shaolin monk exchanged palm strikes with the Fat Toutuo. The Shaolin monk jumped out of the arena, another monk stepped in. After fighting for a while, the Fat Toutuo’s leg was kicked. He stretched out his arms, made a turn, and forced the eight Shaolin monks to withdraw two steps back. “Hold on!” he called out.

Each one of the eight Shaolin monks took two more steps back. The Fat Toutuo said, “Today the few are no match for the many, I’ll give the sutra back to you!” Reaching into his bosom, he took out the sutra.

Cheng Xin waved his left hand, the eight Shaolin monks took two steps forward, now they were less than three chi away from the Fat Toutuo, each one poised for another strike. The Fat Toutuo ignored them completely. He held out his hand with the sutra in it. Cheng Xin circulated the internal energy from his dantian several times, now his entire body was shielded with his inner strength. He put his three left fingers together in secret to guard against the follow-up attack. Only then did he stretch out his right hand to slowly receive the sutra.

Unexpectedly, the Fat Toutuo did not make any move; he returned the sutra and then with a smile he said, “Cheng Xin Dashi, your eighteen luohan of Shaolin is world famous, eighteen of you beat me, one man; don’t you think it is rather lack of splendor?”

Cheng Xin put the sutra into his bosom, put his palms together, bowed and said, “Forgive our offense. In one-on-one combat, Shaolin monks are not the Fat Revered Monk’s match.” With a wave of his left hand, all the monks withdrew simultaneously. For fear that he would try to grab Wei Xiaobao again, five or six monks stood on guard in front of him.

“Benefactor Wei,” the Fat Toutuo said, “I have an earnest request that I will ask you to please grant it to me.”

“What is it?” Wei Xiaobao asked.

“I want to invite you to the Divine Dragon Island,” the Fat Toutuo replied, “To be our guest for several days.”

Wei Xiaobao was taken aback, “What?” he said, “You want me to go to the Divine Dragon Island? That kind of place …”

The Fat Toutuo said, “The young benefactor’s sutra is in Cheng Xin Dashi’s hand, he will submit it to Shaolin Fangzhang. The young benefactor is coming to the Divine Dragon Island, our Cult people, from top to bottom, will definitely treat you with utmost respect. After you meet with Hong Jiaozhu, I will definitely send young benefactor out of the island safe and sound.”

He saw Wei Xiaobao was closing his mouth tight, obviously he did not believe him; thereupon he said, "Cheng Xin Dashi, I am asking you to be my witness. Have you ever known the Fat Toutuo said something but not doing it?"

Cheng Xin knew that although this toutuo's conduct was rather heretical and presumptuous, he was not significantly evil. The fact that fat and thin, two toutuo had always fulfilled their promise, he had indeed heard about it long ago. He said, "The fact that Fat Revered Monk is trustworthy is widely known. It's just that Benefactor Wei has a very important matter to attend, I am afraid he won't have time to go to the Divine Dragon Island."

"That's right," Wei Xiaobao said, "I am extremely busy. When I have time in the future, I will go to the Divine Dragon Island to visit Fat Revered Monk and Hong Jiaozhu."

The Fat Toutuo hastily said, "You should have said Hong Jiaozhu and his, the Senior's, subordinate Fat Toutuo. First, there is no one in the world may rank above him, the Senior. By saying other people's name first before mentioning Hong Jiaozhu is highly disrespectful."

"What about the Emperor?" Wei Xiaobao asked.

The Fat Toutuo replied, "Naturally Hong Jiaozhu first, the Emperor behind him. Second, in the presence of Jiaozhu, the Senior, you must not mention 'Revered Monk' or 'Daoist Master'[15]. In this entire world, only Hong Jiaozhu deserves to be revered."

Wei Xiaobao stuck out his tongue and said, "Hong Jiaozhu is so formidable, I do not dare to meet him even more."

Fat Toutuo said, "Hong Jiaozhu is benevolent and loving, his kindness covers the whole world. Toward a brilliant and clever young hero like young benefactor, the Senior is sure to be absolutely thrilled. If the young benefactor goes to the Divine Dragon Island, you will definitely return from a rewarding journey. The Senior, Jiaozhu, is very generous, it goes without saying. Perhaps when the Senior is happy, he would teach you a move or half a style; henceforth the young benefactor will be able to reap endless benefit when you are roaming the world."

He was speaking very sincerely, fervently and passionately. At first he did not even consider Wei Xiaobao worthy in his eyes, he even stepped on his head, but now his speech was full of 'young benefactor' and 'a brilliant and clever young hero'. Afraid that Wei Xiaobao could not hear him clearly, he bent his bamboo-pole-like body and spoke next to his ear.

Wei Xiaobao recalled Tao Hongying's story, and remembered seeing the action of Zhang Laosan and the other at the Zhuang home; he also remembered the Empress Dowager and Liu Yan, and the appearance of the fake palace maid, the man who dressed as a woman. In short, he had an unspeakable disgust toward Shen Long Jiao. Comparatively speaking, among the Shen Long Jiao people, the Fat Toutuo still had several part of lofty quality as a hero. But after using force to rob the sutra and carrying Wei Xiaobao here and there, now suddenly his manner changed completely, he wanted to invite him as a guest to the Divine Dragon Island, Wei Xiaobao was certain that Fat Toutuo was harboring some malicious intentions. Right now he was speaking politely, but it must be because he was no match for the Shaolin monks. As soon as the Shaolin monks left, he would definitely resort to violence again, and then who would be able to put him under control? Thereupon Wei Xiaobao shook his head and said, "I am not going!"

--------------------------------------------------------
    [12] Emperor Taizong, second emperor of Tang Dynasty, reigned 626-649.

[13] From the dictionary: Li Jing (570-649 AD), Tang Dynasty general and purported author of ‘Duke Li of Wei answering Emperor Taizong of Tang’, one of the Seven Military Classics of ancient China.

[14] He was awarded the imperial surname of Li by Gao Zu of Tang. Li Ji's fiefdom was called Yīng (英). 国公 (national duke) was a title awarded to the ruling clan as opposed to 民公 ('commoner' (non imperial) duke). [Courtesy of Ace High]

[15] Orig. 'Zhen Ren' - lit. 'real man', a term of respect to address a Daoist priest.
    Last edited by foxs; 05-02-11 at 10:02 AM.

I wouldn't go either! Honored guest? Hah, who is he trying to trick?

Thanks foxs!

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    Foxs usually gives an explanation for the term when it first makes an appearance and then uses it consistently throughout the translation. Otherwise you would have to literally every single character for names, places, etc.

Chen Jinnan becomes Chen Close-to-the-South?
    Wei Xiaobao becaomes Wei Little-Treasure?
    Beijing becomes Northern Capital?
    But that's the thing I don't have an issue with not translating peoples or towns names, as I think I mentioned. The society names and titles give me some problems, like Shen Long XX (see I can't remember it)for Mystic Dragon Society...etc...things like that....names of people I never want to be translated. Foxs, there is no such thing on this planet as a perfect translator. I'd definitely rate you as one of the top on here, and arguably the most profilic since I've been around.

Quote Originally Posted by tweety365 View Post
    I wouldn't go either! Honored guest? Hah, who is he trying to trick?

Thanks foxs!
    Seems like the Shaolin Temple skill level diminishes further with every JY novel.

Thanks foxs! I don't celebrate Easter but my cousins do so I just went over to their house and had a feast! ;-)

But that's the thing I don't have an issue with not translating peoples or towns names, as I think I mentioned. The society names and titles give me some problems, like Shen Long XX (see I can't remember it)for Mystic Dragon Society...etc...things like that....names of people I never want to be translated. Foxs, there is no such thing on this planet as a perfect translator. I'd definitely rate you as one of the top on here, and arguably the most profilic since I've been around.
    Not that my opinion counts but I feel that names should be left as it is. Maybe an index as to what the name means. Eg: calling WXB as little treasure ?...no it don't sound right.
    Take for example to translate the bible from Hebrew to Chinese....what is Jesus's name going to be ? or newspaper reporting the chinese president's name.... I feel it'll be confusing and sometimes funny...like calling a toaist priest..."Father burnt wood" in LOCH. funny right ? or Xiao Long Nu, ...little dragon girl... well Just my opinions.

Anyway, my opinion is as always, the translator do what is best and is free to accept or reject suggestions.
    As it is I always appreciate all the hard work of the translators and admire them spending so much time on giving us the chance to enjoy chinese wuxia.

Foxs, as always, many thanks and keep up the beautiful work. If what you do is due to your lack of talent, then I am a useless parasite...
    cheerio..

Quote Originally Posted by foxs View Post
    the ‘brave country duke’ Li Ji [not sure about this];
    Duke Jing Wu (i think it means admirable prowess) of Wei, with Wei was the name of his fiefdom

the Duke of Wei with admirable prowess?
    Last edited by Ace High; 04-27-11 at 09:50 PM.

Seems like the Shaolin Temple skill level diminishes further with every JY novel.
    martial arts in the jin yong universe actually diminish as we get closer to the 'modern age'. for example, LOCH is the 3rd oldest chronologically (southern song dynasty), but guo jing's level of martial arts can't even compare to a character's martial arts in sword of the yue maiden (900BC). also, have you ever seen someone in the qing dynasty use martial arts as powerful as the ones in the song or yuan dynasties?

Quote Originally Posted by crazee View Post
    Oh, So sorry. No intention to spoil anybody's fun in this forum or any forum for that matter - that why I ask if it's a spoiler.
    Hi friends in the forum, if I had spoiled your fun due to my spoiler, thousand apologies...it was unintentional.
    I guess because lots of my friends are Jing Yong fans as such such statements are so common, like, xiao long nu, - cold and beautiful, Huang rong, - smart and beautiful, li mo chou....evil and so on.
    no need to appoligies...
    its been mentioned several times allready about WXB wives in this thread... so your assumption about it being a knowin fact would be correct, if some one has read this thread
    Last edited by aliderhamy; 04-28-11 at 02:36 AM.
    Ali Derhamy

Quote Originally Posted by Lzydude View Post
    martial arts in the jin yong universe actually diminish as we get closer to the 'modern age'. for example, LOCH is the 3rd oldest chronologically (southern song dynasty), but guo jing's level of martial arts can't even compare to a character's martial arts in sword of the yue maiden (900BC). also, have you ever seen someone in the qing dynasty use martial arts as powerful as the ones in the song or yuan dynasties?
    I agree wholeheartedly.

Quote Originally Posted by crazee View Post
    Not that my opinion counts but I feel that names should be left as it is. Maybe an index as to what the name means. Eg: calling WXB as little treasure ?...no it don't sound right.
    Take for example to translate the bible from Hebrew to Chinese....what is Jesus's name going to be ? or newspaper reporting the chinese president's name.... I feel it'll be confusing and sometimes funny...like calling a toaist priest..."Father burnt wood" in LOCH. funny right ? or Xiao Long Nu, ...little dragon girl... well Just my opinions.

Anyway, my opinion is as always, the translator do what is best and is free to accept or reject suggestions.
    As it is I always appreciate all the hard work of the translators and admire them spending so much time on giving us the chance to enjoy chinese wuxia.

Foxs, as always, many thanks and keep up the beautiful work. If what you do is due to your lack of talent, then I am a useless parasite...
    Your opinion counts fine but you don't seem to realize that I agree with you about people's name. Read what I already wrote.

Your opinion counts fine but you don't seem to realize that I agree with you about people's name. Read what I already wrote.
    Ha Ha ha....looks like great minds think alike eh ?

actually I had the complete work by minford from somewhere in this forum and honestly, I felt the naming actually spoils the fun....but then again because I can speak chinese and so to a certain extend know the meaning of the names, I suppose it'll be selfish to deprive others of that knowledge.
    Again some names just cannot be right translated....I literally translated as the meaning will somehow sound funny in english....eg: Xiao Yu er....."little fish"

I suppose I'm repeating myself...sorry.

Again, great story and fun reading the comments and of course I get to see things in a wider perspective, instead of just the Asian view..

Keep it up! Gang, Keep it up Foxs, you're my current hero heh heh heh just like WXB keep going to the story teller, I keep coming to this forum...
    cheerio..

Default Chapter 18 - Part 12

I give up ... I've spent hours translating the notes below. Although I believe I get the explanation right, I am clueless as to the poem. Anybody wants to help?

Sky, Lzydude, Ali, Crazee, thanks for dropping by. Sorry I can't comment to much on your posts right now. Ace, the original was 英国公李绩. KChill, it was due to my inability to find nice-sounding English phrase. As I said previously, Minford did a great job in this department, but I do not want to steal his terms.

Anyhoo ... this is the end of Chapter 18. Please give me a few more days to start Chapter 19.

-----------------------------------------------------------
    The Fat Toutuo's thin face looked extremely dejected. Slowly he straightened up his body, and cast a glance toward the eighteen Shaolin monks surrounding him. "Young benefactor," he said slowly, "In your opinion, how is my martial art compared to these eighteen great monks?"

"Each has its strong points," Wei Xiaobao said.

"What do you mean each has its strong points?" the Fat Toutuo angrily said, "If we fight one on one, do you think they can beat me?"

Wei Xiaobao replied, "One on one, perhaps you will win. One against eighteen, you will definitely lose. This is what I mean by each has its strong points. If one on one and you still lose, you don't have any farting points! Your only strong point is that you are taller than they are."

The Fat Toutuo smiled and said, "Have you seen anybody else with martial art skill as superior as mine?"

"Of course I have!" Wei Xiaobao replied, "Your martial art skill is just so-so, I have seen not a few people whose martial art skill is ten times better than yours."

The Fat Toutuo was angry; he jumped one step forward with stretched arm to grab him. Four Shaolin monks simultaneously stretched out their palms to block. The Fat Toutuo said, "Name those people whose martial art is superior to mine."

Momentarily Wei Xiaobao was at a loss for words; he could not remember seeing anybody whose martial art skill was higher than his. His own Shifu's martial art skill was extremely high, but he could not necessarily beat him.

The Fat Toutuo was very smug, he said, "You see, you can't name even one, can you?"

"What do you mean I can't name one?" Wei Xiaobao said, "I just don't want to tell you, for fear you might be really frightened. There are so many people whose martial art skill is higher than yours. The first one is Tian Di Hui's Zongduozhu Chen Jinnan. I have seen him fighting in Beijing, with his pair of hands he caught four toutuo, each toutuo weighs more than two hundred catties. With just a kick of his legs, he was able to jump over the city wall. If you fight with him, the difference is way too far."

"Humph," the Fat Toutuo snorted. He had also heard the name of Chen Jinnan, but did not believe that he was able to jump over the city wall carrying four people. "Braggart!" he said.

"The second person whose martial art is superior," Wei Xiaobao continued, "Is a sweet, tender-footed young mistress." Speaking to this point, he cast a glance toward Shuang'er. Shuang'er repeatedly shook her hand, telling him not to continue. But Wei Xiaobao continued, "One time this young mistress fought thirty-six Wudang's Taoist priests. Thirty-six priests surrounded her, using ... using some sort of formation."

The Fat Toutuo asked, "About that Wudang Pai's formation, were they barehanded or using swords?"

"Using swords," Wei Xiaobao replied.

"That must be Zhenwu[16] Sword Formation," the Fat Toutuo said.

"That's right," Wei Xiaobao said, "Pang Dashi [great master fat] is experienced and knowledgeable, you know about Zhenwu Sword Formation. At that time those thirty-six swords surrounded the young mistress, the swords flickered that even water could not splash through. The young mistress had a child in her left hand, her right hand was unarmed ..."

The Fat Toutuo was greatly amazed. "She fought Wudang Pai with a child in her left hand?" he asked.

"What's so strange about it?" Wei Xiaobao said, "Actually, she was carrying two little babies, both were boys, they were very fat ..." He deliberately exaggerated the martial art skill of the young mistress of the Zhuang family, so he doubled the number of child in her arm. He said, " ... with her mouth she was soothing the babies: 'Two sweet babies, don't cry, watch your mama doing some tricks', while seizing the swords in those thirty-six priests hands and sealed those priests' acupoints, so that all of them were frozen in place, just like clay Bodhisattva, without able to move at all. Carrying the babies, the young mistress let them grab the old priests' beard. The old priests stared in anger, but the two babies were laughing very happily."

Wudang Pai and Shaolin Pai were equally famous, their martial art went back for a thousand years; Wei Xiaobao knew this. He saw how the Fat Toutuo was not able to defeat the eighteen Shaolin monks, so he said that that young mistress was able to overpower thirty-six Taoist priests. Whose martial art strong, whose martial art weak, he did not have to talk too much.

Listening to him, the Fat Toutuo stared blankly like he suddenly lost his mind. He sighed and said, "Unexpectedly there is such magical martial art in the world!"

Seeing surprisingly he believed his lie, Wei Xiaobao was very proud of himself. He said, "I am not concealing anything from you, this young mistress is my own godmother."

When he started talking about Jiangnan's young mistress, Shuang'er thought that he was talking about the Third Mistress; but then later he mentioned that the young mistress had a pair of twin boys, plus she was Wei Xiaobao's godmother, hence she realized he was talking about someone else. But the Fat Toutuo was shocked. "Your godmother?" he asked, "What's her surname? There is such a formidable figure in Wulin, yet how come I have never heard about it?"

Wei Xiaobao laughed and said, "There are plentiful formidable figures in Wulin. Take my wife here for example," he pointed to Shuang'er, "As you can see, she is petite, cute and exquisite looking; how do you know she knew martial art?"

Shuang'er blushed; she said, "Xianggong, don't talk nonsense."

The Fat Toutuo had had some exchange with Shuang'er, this kind of petite lady, surprisingly her skill was quite amazing; were it not for him personally witnessing it, it would be hard for him to believe. He nodded and said, "You are right. Since the young benefactor is unwilling to visit the Divine Dragon Island, there's nothing I can do. Gentlemen, please!"

Wei Xiaobao said, "Dashi, you first!" He appeared to be polite, but actually he wanted the Fat Toutuo to leave first; if he went to the east, then Wei Xiaobao would go to the west, if he went to the north, then Wei Xiaobao would go to the south.

The Fat Toutuo shook his head and said, "Young benefactor, please go first. I want to make a rubbing of the inscription engraved on this stone tablet."

Wei Xiaobao laughed inwardly, thinking that his wild talk was unexpectedly believed as the truth.

Book note:
    1. The content of the title of this chapter was from careful research of ancient poetry, its level and oblique tones (technical term for classical Chinese rhythmic poetry) is different from contemporary form of strict poetic form with eight lines of 5, 6 or 7 syllables and even lines rhyming.

2. Four empresses of Shunzhi. Empress Duan Jing, whose maiden name was Donggo, and Empress Xiao Kang, Kangxi's birth mother, were buried together as husband and wives to show filial piety. Empress Fei[17] and Empress Xiao Hui (the 'Empress Dowager' in our book) were separately buried in the Xiao Dong Ling [Eastern Qing Tombs]. 'Xiao Kang' and 'Xiao Hui' were posthumous titles granted during the reigns of Emperors Yongzheng and Qianlong. The titles were not known during Kangxi's reign. But popular fiction does not need to follow such a strict compliance to historical facts.

3. The matter of Shunzhi leaving home to become a monk on Mount Wutai was a widely spread folklore during the Qing Dynasty. It was known as one of the 'Four Qing Mysteries' [or 'doubtful cases']. The other three mysteries were: Shunzhi's Empress Dowager married a regent later on, Yongzheng's got his first wife by force, Qianlong actually came from Chen family in Haining [county level city in Jiaxing, Zhejiang province]. According to official record, Shunzhi died of smallpox; however, there are too many doubtful points in the official record, to such an extent that people of later generation could only guess what had really happened. A great poet of early Qing Dynasty, Wu Meichun wrote four-stanza poem 'Mount Qing Liang's Poem of Praise to Buddha'. It is definitely related to Consort Donggo. Quite a number of people believe that because of his grief over his beloved concubine's death, Shunzhi has left home to become a Buddhist monk on Mount Wutai. The poem says, 'There's a high mountain in the northwest, people say it's the Wenshu [Manjushri] Platform. On the platform there's a bright moon pond, where thousand-leaf golden lotus blooms, the blossoms reflecting each other's shadow, the leaves grow together with the root. The queen mother carries Shuang Cheng [double success?], the green canopy reaches to the cloud (note: Shuang Cheng points to female fairy Dong Shuang Cheng). The Han Lord sits on the Palace of Buddhist teaching, he hesitates as soon as exposed to the light. Binding the hearts together, giving away nine ornamental hairpins ... hand in hand neglecting the greatest news, extreme happiness gives birth to minuscule sorrow. Loneliness of a thousand autumns ended, who will wholeheartedly accompany me today? ... ' (It was said that while Consort Donggo received special favor from Shunzhi; Shunzhi's own life was inconsistently tragic. The entire poem was very long, it will not be copied here in its entirety). 'Wounded heart is frightened by the cold wind, deep in the Palace the crickets chirp. Severe frost covers the jasper tree, hibiscus withered from the core. It's a pity a thousand li grass, withered away losing its color.' (note: 'thousand-li grass' [千里草] characters form the 'Dong' [董] character, referring to the death of Consort Donggo.) ... 'The south-facing storehouse stretches to the grave (referring to Cao Cao's [famous statesman and general at the end of Han, the main villain of the novel 'Romance of Three Kingdoms'] son who died prematurely in infancy, King Deng Ai, Cao Cangshu [Cangshu means 'stretched storehouse'], a comparison to Prince Rong), covering the face, adding to the broken heart. Abstain from words, feed my horse with grain, roaming the eight extremities.' (It was told that when his beloved concubine passed away, Shunzhi's innermost being was sorrowful that he was thinking of leaving the mortal world). 'The eight extremities is boundless, it is pointing to the Qing Liang Mountain. This mountain stores up deities, noble spirits to examine the wrong ... Famous mountain initially looks at the good fortune, accepting instruction to release the way of the well-being, preparing to sprinkle seven Buddhist earthen jars from the highest peak ... From the seat of a celestial being, breathing out air like silken sandalwood. Sending words to the Han Emperor, is it worth the trouble to remain in the mortal world? ... Only a broad mind, like a rock, will never be published. Hereby protecting the golden wheel, the law of the ocean has no billows (talking about Shunzhi's aspiration to go to Mount Wutai). Tasting and hearing the solemn Son of Heaven, six hired hands cover ten thousand li ... magnificent concubine's ailment cannot be saved, waving the whip, tears flow like water. Han Emperor like an immortal, his wife considers getting rid of her slippers ... favoring instead to seize the government power of the long gate, graciousness leans to the Qing city. Magnificent jade decorating the night, heartache and grief like the mourning cicada. None of the sufferings does not have a death side to it, to have the power of commanding the morning sun to rise ... maintaining the propriety toward the ruler, virtuous sage to set the course. Taking part in the way does not need the brilliance of the ruler, declining meritorious deed promising disgrace, empty appearance cannot be repeated, like packing up a reservoir of the wind.' (Toward the ruler points to Sakyamuni Buddha. Attributed to his conversion to the Dharma, seeking relief by Zen Buddhism).

4. When he was on the throne, Shunzhi has already taken Yulin as his master in the study of Buddhism. From Yulin's chronicle as the teacher of the state: in the Shunzhi's sixteenth year, the 'forefather of the world' asked the master to bestow a name, the master offered more than ten characters, the 'forefather of the world' picked the character 'chi' [imbecile/sentimental/stupid/foolish], in conjunction with the character 'Xing', which was handed down by forefather of Zen Buddhism's sect of Long Chi [dragon pond], and thus his Buddhist name was 'Xing Chi'. Yulin himself was of the 'Tong' [go through/pass] generation, his name was 'Tong Xiu' ['xiu' means jade], Yulin [yulin means jade forest]; therefore, his disciples used the 'Xing' [to walk/to go/to travel] as their generation name.

-----------------------------------------------------------
    [16] Lord of profound heaven, major Taoist deity.

[17] From Wikipedia: Demoted Empress Suoerna, from the Borjigit clan, niece of Xiao Zhuang Grand Imperial Dowager Empress, demoted in 1653.
    Last edited by foxs; 05-02-11 at 10:03 AM.

"That's right," Wei Xiaobao said, "Pang Dashi [great master fat] is experienced and knowledgeable, you know about Zhenwu Sword Formation. At that time those thirty-six swords surrounded the young mistress, the swords flickered that even water could not splash through. The young mistress had a child in her left hand, her right hand was unarmed ..."

The Fat Toutuo was greatly amazed. "She fought Wudang Pai with a child in her left hand?" he asked.

"What's so strange about it?" Wei Xiaobao said, "Actually, she was carrying two little babies, both were boys, they were very fat ..." He deliberately exaggerated the martial art skill of the young mistress of the Zhuang family, so he doubled the number of child in her arm. He said, " ... with her mouth she was soothing the babies: 'Two sweet babies, don't cry, watch your mama doing some tricks', while seizing the swords in those thirty-six priests hands and sealed those priests' acupoints, so that all of them were frozen in place, just like clay Bodhisattva, without able to move at all. Carrying the babies, the young mistress let them grab the old priests' beard. The old priests stared in anger, but the two babies were laughing very happily."

I almost fell out of my chair! LOL!
    This totally reminds me of the scene in Tropic Thunder where Ben Stiller's character is crazy and rambolike then fights evil aliens with 4 babies strapped to him! hahahah!!!

Quote Originally Posted by foxs View Post
    Ace, the original was 英国公李绩.
    I messed up Li Jing and Li Ji, né Xu Shi Ji. He was awarded the imperial surname of Li by Gao Zu of Tang. Li Ji's fiefdom was called Yīng (英). 国公 (national duke) was a title awarded to the ruling clan as opposed to 民公 ('commoner' (non imperial) duke).

So, (National) Duke of Ying Li Ji.
    Last edited by Ace High; 04-29-11 at 07:56 PM.