Page 98 of 158 FirstFirst ... 48888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108148 ... LastLast
Results 1,941 to 1,960 of 3145

Thread: The Deer and The Cauldron

Quote Originally Posted by Ace High View Post
    I think its all about political reasons.

They tried to sweep under the carpet the all real reasons why the Ming Dynasty fell and pushed all the blame to a single woman, Chen Yuanyuan. If they actually own up to the real reasons, then the rebellion to restore the Ming no longer has any reasons to do so.

I’m of opinion they just didn’t want to be ruled by ‘barbarians’, despite no matter good the barbarian ruled and would rather be ruled by an incompetent Han.
    A bit like how, both in the novel and historically, Temujin and Jamuka blamed their separation on another man, rather than their respective ambitions to be the first man of the steppes.

Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    A bit like how, both in the novel and historically, Temujin and Jamuka blamed their separation on another man, rather than their respective ambitions to be the first man of the steppes.
    Yes, its very much convenient to blame others than to admit the fault. Get to keep their images intact.
    You plant a garden and the flowers do not bloom, you poke a stick in the mud and it grows into a tree

Quote Originally Posted by Ace High View Post
    Yes, its very much convenient to blame others than to admit the fault. Get to keep their images intact.
    In Chinese - it's Face, literal translation...or pride.

Loosing face is worse than death...for the Chinese - well at least in those days...
    cheerio..

Thanks foxs.

Quote Originally Posted by crazee View Post
    In Chinese - it's Face, literal translation...or pride.

Loosing face is worse than death...for the Chinese - well at least in those days...
    I think for some, this is still very true. Asians care way too much about saving face that they sometime lose sight of more important things.
    Last edited by SkyWalker; 02-21-12 at 03:42 PM.

Default Chapter 32 - Part 4

CrazyT, 'Guru'? I don't think so ... but thanks for the compliment. Crazee, Ace, Pannonian, Sky, you are right, just the other day, I saw that poster (perhaps you have seen it, or something similar: usually a photograph, and then the word, like 'success', and then below it in smaller typeface is the 'definition'), the picture was a hand passing a baton to another hand, the 'word' was Blame, the 'definition' was 'the secret of success is knowing who to blame for your failure', or something like that ...

Wei Xiaobao said, “Right now there is no problem. She has not stabbed Wangye, your family is reunited instead. You can explain everything to Ah Ke, won’t everybody be happy then?”

Chen Yuanyuan sighed. “If only it’s that easy,” she said, “Then I would thank the Heaven and thank the Earth.”

“Ah Ke is your own daughter,” Wei Xiaobao said, “Anybody with eyes will be able to see that. If it was not a ‘fish sink, goose alights’ [see note 5, Chapter 31] mother, you would not give birth to a ‘bashful flower obstructing the moon’ daughter.” In describing beautiful women, the only phrase he knew was ‘fish sink, goose alights’ and ‘bashful flower obstructing the moon’, eight characters [chen yu luo yan, xiu hua bu yue], therefore, those were the only phrases he repeatedly used.

After a short pause, he continued, “Wangye did not wish to let Ah Ke go, could it be that he wanted to have her flogged? She was kidnapped when she was only two, how could she know her own origin? Therefore, how can he blame her?”

Chen Yuanyuan said, “Wangye said, ‘Since you don’t recognize me, naturally you are not my daughter. Not to mention you are not my daughter, even if you were my flesh-and-blood daughter, by committing this kind of rebellious defiance against your superior, disregarding the law and natural morality, I must not let you live.’ While saying that, he rubbed his nose.”

Wei Xiaobao smiled, “Does he like to rub his own nose?” he asked.

Chen Yuanyuan’s voice trembled, “You don’t know,” she said, “That is Wangye’s habit; when he rubbed his nose, that means he wanted to kill people, never fails.”

“Aiyo!” Wei Xiaobao cried out, “How can that be good? He … has he killed Ah Ke?”

“For the time being he has not,” Chen Yuanyuan replied, “Wangye … he wanted to investigate who the mastermind is, he also wants to find out who Ah Ke’s father really is.”

Wei Xiaobao laughed and said, “Wangye is overly suspicious; really, it’s getting silly. As soon as I saw you, I knew you are Ah Ke’s Mama. How could he not be Ah Ke’s Papa? It must be because Ah Ke was trying to assassinate him, he became very angry.” Speaking to this point, his expression turned serious as he said, “We must quickly think of a way to save Ah Ke. If Wangye rubs his nose again, it won’t be too good.”

Chen Yuanyuan said, “Xiao Nuzi brazenly invited Daren to come over, it was precisely to discuss this matter. I am thinking that Daren is the Imperial Envoy Minister, sent by His Majesty himself, Wangye would definitely want to give you some face. Ah Ke masqueraded as a palace maid serving the Princess, as long as Daren personally appears, saying that the Princess wanted her maid back, I have no doubt that Wangye would not refuse.”

Wei Xiaobao bent the index finger of his right hand and continuously tapped it onto his own forehead. “Idiot, idiot,” he said, “I have fallen into his trap.”

“This plan of yours,” he said, “Not only I have thought about it ahead of you, I have even executed it. Who would have thought this big … big Wangye is one step ahead of me, he had the little idiot’s hands and feet tied up. I have already asked Wangye for the assassin, and Wangye has already given her to me, it’s just that she was not Ah Ke.”

Thereupon he told her in details how Xia Guoxiang brought him to the dungeon to identify the assassin, how he saw a well-acquainted young woman, how he believed the rumor was false, i.e. the assassin was really not Ah Ke, how he convinced Xia Guoxiang that the young woman was indeed a palace maid serving the Princess, and how he ended up taking her out of the prison. He also said, “This servant Xia Guoxiang has prepared a scheme beforehand, he spoke in loud voice in front of the several hundred people in front of the Mansion, stating that he has handed over the Princess’ palace maid to me; how could I come back to him and ask for the second person? Needless to say, this servant would definitely talk officiously, saying something like, ‘Wei Daren, you must not play a joke with Xiao Jiang. The Princess’ palace maid has assassinated Wangye, Xiao Jiang boldly act for the sake of Wei Daren’s face, risking the cap on my head, risking Wangye’s flogging and martial punishment, letting Daren taking her away. Hundreds and thousands of people in front of the Palace are my witness. Wangye has ordered: he is hoping that Daren would discipline the palace maid rigorously, that you would investigate who was behind it? Now Daren comes again to ask for someone else. This … this joke may be too much.” He was imitating Xia Guoxiang’s accent and mannerism, and was actually doing a pretty good job.

Chen Yuanyuan knitted her eyebrows. “Daren is right,” she said, “Son-in-law Xia is indeed that kind of person. Turns out … turns out they have already set up a trap to shut Daren’s mouth.”

Wei Xiaobao stomped his foot and cursed, “His granny, that male …” he cast a glance toward Chen Yuanyuan and said, “If they touch a strand of Ah Ke’s hair, laozi will fight that big … big b@stard to the death.”

Chen Yuanyuan pulled her sleeve and bowed to him with cupped fist, saying, “Daren cherishes my daughter this much, Xiao Nuzi wants to express my gratitude in advance. It’s just that …”

Wei Xiaobao hastily returned the propriety and said, “I am going to lead our troops and horses to crash into Ping Xi Wang Mansion, kill him until he is in a sorry state. If I can’t save Ah Ke out, I will take the big traitor’s surname. Laozi won’t have Wei as my surname, my surname will be Wu! Damn it, laozi will be Wu Xiaobao!”

Seeing how agitated he was, and how he was speaking nonsense, Chen Yuanyuan was rather scared. She said in a gentle voice, “Daren’s good intention toward Ah Ke …”

“What Daren Xiaoren [little/lowly person]?” Wei Xiaobao cut her off, “If you consider me as one of your own, you must call me Xiaobao. I should have called you Auntie[10], but thinking about that damned Uncle, I am seething with rage.”

Chen Yuanyuan walked over and gently put her hand on his shoulder; she said, “Xiaobao, if you don’t look down on me, you can just call me Ah Yi [Auntie[11]].”

Wei Xiaobao was delighted; he said, “I’ll call you Ah Yi. When I was at the Lovely Spring Courtyard in Yangzhou …” Speaking to this point, suddenly he stopped.

Actually, Chen Yuanyuan also understood that at the Lovely Spring Courtyard, he called all the prostitutes ‘Auntie’. She understood worldly affairs, and understood Wei Xiaobao’s good intention; she said, “I am extremely happy to have such a good nephew as yourself. Xiaobao, we must not use force against Wangye, in the City of Kunming, his troops and soldiers are numerous; even if you defeat him, he could kill Ah Ke with one stab first, and then you and I, two people, will be grieving for the rest of our lives.”

She was speaking with the soft accent of the Wu dialect; first, her voice was very pleasant to listen to, second, in her speech she was treating Wei Xiaobao as one of her own. Upon hearing her, the rage that was filling his heart immediately vanished into thin air. “Good Ah Yi,” he asked, “Then what should we do to rescue Ah Ke?”

Chen Yuanyuan pondered for a moment before saying, “I could urge Ah Ke to admit Wangye as her father. Even if he were more heartless, he would not kill his own flesh-and-blood daughter …”

Suddenly from outside the door someone was shouting loudly, “Acknowledging the bandit as one’s father, how can this be so?”

The curtain on the door rose up, a big and tall old monk walked in in large strides. He had a thick steel monk’s staff in his hand, which he stomped onto the floor. The iron rings on the head of the staff created a random ‘dang dang’ noise. The old monk had a square face, he had an ash-grey beard underneath his chin, his eyes were flashing like lightning, his overall appearance was impressive. Just by standing like that, he looked like a small mountain covering the doorway. His waist was sticking out his back straight, like a tiger or a lion, his grandeur was indeed overwhelming.

Wei Xiaobao was startled; he withdrew three steps back, and almost wanted to hide behind Chen Yuanyuan. Chen Yuanyuan, however, looked happy. Her countenance brightened as she walked over to the old monk and said softly, “You have come!”

“I have come!” the old monk replied. His voice turned lower, his eye turned gentler. Their gaze met, their eyes revealed admiration and joy.

Wei Xiaobao was greatly surprised, “Who is this old monk?” he wondered in his heart, “Could he be … could he be Ah Yi’s lover? An old customer when she was still a prostitute? Monk visits prostitute; that is out of question. Um, not surprising, actually, when laozi was a monk, I also went to a brothel.”

“Have you heard?” Chen Yuanyuan asked.

“I have heard,” the old monk replied.

“Thank Heaven and thank the Earth,” Chen Yuanyuan said, “That child is still … still alive. I … Wah!” suddenly she broke out crying and threw herself into the old monk’s bosom.

The old monk reached out with his left hand and gently stroked her hair. “Whatever happens we must save her,” he said consolingly, “Don’t worry.” His majestic voice was brimming with deep emotion. Chen Yuanyuan buried her face in his bosom as she sobbed softly.

Wei Xiaobao was amazed and scared at the same time, he did not dare to move at all. “The two of you regard me as a dead man,” he mused, “Laozi better act as a dead man.”

After crying for a while, Chen Yuanyuan sobbed, “You … can you really save that child?”

“I will do everything possible,” the old monk replied in an awe-inspiring voice.

Chen Yuanyuan straightened up and wiped her tears. “What shall I do?” she asked, “Tell me, what shall I do?”

The old monk frowned. “In short,” he said, “We must not let her acknowledge the traitor as her father.”

“Yes, yes,” Chen Yuanyuan said, “I was wrong. Because I wanted to save the child, I was not thinking about you. I … I have offended you.”

“I understand,” the old monk said, “I don’t blame you at all. But she must not admit him as her father. She must not, absolutely not.” His voice was not loud, but there was strong imposing aura in it that if there were ‘thousand troops ten thousand horses’ in front of him, they would bow their heads and obey his commands.

Suddenly they heard the sound of thumping boots outside the door, someone let out a long laugh and said in a loud and clear voice, “An old friend has graced Kunming with his presence, Xiao Wang’s face is a lot brighter!” It was none other than Wu Sangui’s voice.

Immediately Wei Xiaobao and Chen Yuanyuan’s countenance changed. The old monk acted as if he did not hear anything, only his eyes suddenly brightened.

‘Swish, swish!’ out of the blue white light flashed, two swords slashed, the curtain hanging on the door was cut. Wu Sangui appeared at the doorway with a smile on his face. Followed by ‘Crash, bang!’ plaster, dust, and fragments of wood flew everywhere, the four walls, along with the windows on them, were demolished by men wielding iron sledge-hammers. On each hole several guards appeared, some with strung bows and arrow, some with raised lances in their hands. The tip of the arrows and lances was aimed inside. Wu Sangui only needed to issue an order, the arrows and lances would immediately fly into the bodies of the three people inside, turning them into hedgehogs.

“Yuanyuan, come out!” Wu Sangui shouted.

Chen Yuanyuan hesitated. She took a step forward, stopped, and shook her head. “I won’t come out,” she said. Turning her head around, she gently pushed Wei Xiaobao’s shoulder and said, “Xiaobao, this matter has nothing to do with you, you go out.”

Wei Xiaobao knew she sincerely wanted to protect him, and was deeply moved. “Laozi won’t go out,” he said loudly, “Hot piece mama, Wu Sangui, if you have guts, go ahead and kill laozi as well.”

The old monk shook his head and said, “The two of you go out. The old monk should have died more than twenty years ago.”

Chen Yuanyuan walked over to him, pulled his hand and said, “No, I will die together with you.”

Wei Xiaobao loudly said, “Ah Yi have yi qi, do you think Wei Xiaobao is greedy for life, afraid of death? Ah Yi, I will also die together with you.”

Wu Sangui raised his right hand and angrily shouted, “Wei Xiaobao, you conspire with big rebel against the law. I will kill you and present a memorial to the Emperor, explaining everything, my merit will not be small.” Turning to Chen Yuanyuan, he said, “Yuanyuan, why are you so muddleheaded? Still not coming out?”

Chen Yuanyuan shook her head. Wei Xiaobao said, “What do you mean conspiring with big rebel against the law? You are falsely accusing good people.”

In his extreme rage, Wu Sangui laughed instead. “Little baby,” he said, “I’ll say you still don’t know who this old monk is. He has kept you hoodwinked inside a drum. By the time you reach the gate of hell, you still don’t know for whom you have delivered your life.”

The old monk sternly said, “Laofu [old man, referring to self] has never changed either my surname or my given name. The Emperor of Heaven has bestowed me the surname Li and given name Zicheng.”

Wei Xiaobao was shocked. “You … you are Li Chuang, Li Zicheng?” he stammered.

“That’s right,” the old monk said, “Xiao Xiongdi, you go out! A real man is fully responsible for what he’s done. The Ol’ Li has undergone hundreds of battles, I have lived for more than seventy years; I don’t want a little Tatar official like you to accompany me delivering our lives.”

Suddenly white shadow flashed; someone leaped down from the roof, pouncing toward the top of Wu Sangui’s head. Wu Sangui let out an angry roar; the four guards behind him moved their swords together toward the white shadow.

[10] Orig. ‘bo mu’ – wife of father’s elder brother, a polite form of address for a woman who is about the age or older than one’s mother.

[11] Ah Yi – maternal aunt, a polite form of address for a woman who is younger than one’s parents.

Thanks a lot!!! woohoo some action at last! Is that jiu nan joining the fray? much better than my wish of Jiunan vs Mdm Hong

Whoa! That's a heck of a cliffhanger Foxs!

The singing bit was a bit flowery for me but I am sure it sounds better in Chinese. But this scene really sped things up! How are they getting out of this one?!

Thanks Foxs.....

Wooo....hoo Action starting....

Fighting and settling old scores ?
    Getting hotter and hotter....

From the scenes...we can see who yuan yuan's affection is for...........

But I still miss shuang er.....
    cheerio..

Thanks Foxs

Quote Originally Posted by foxs View Post
    Wei Xiaobao bent the index finger of his right hand and continuously tapped it onto his own forehead. “Idiot, idiot,” he said, “I have fallen into his trap.”

“This plan of yours,” he said, “Not only I have thought about it ahead of you, I have even executed it. Who would have thought this big … big Wangye is one step ahead of me, he had the little idiot’s hands and feet tied up. I have already asked Wangye for the assassin, and Wangye has already given her to me, it’s just that she was not Ah Ke.”
    I was right then. Wu Sangui and Xia Guoxiang weren’t so naïve to give Mu Jianping that easily and Ah Ke did fall in Wu Sangui's hand.

Suddenly they heard the sound of thumping boots outside the door, someone let out a long laugh and said in a loud and clear voice, “An old friend has graced Kunming with his presence, Xiao Wang’s face is a lot brighter!” It was none other than Wu Sangui’s voice.
    Pretty healthy for someone who was reported to badly injured in an assassination attempt.

WXB was lulled into a sense of false security. Wu Sangui couldn't vent his anger towards Jianning, but he could do so to WXB.
    You plant a garden and the flowers do not bloom, you poke a stick in the mud and it grows into a tree

Thanks Foxs

Thanks foxs.

So, CYY is in love with LZC? Could it be that Ah Ke is his daughter?

Default thank you foxs

thanks for updates
    Ali Derhamy

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
    Thanks foxs.

So, CYY is in love with LZC? Could it be that Ah Ke is his daughter?
    CYY's attitude towards LZC and LZC's opinion of not recognising WSG as father. Even CYY was not willing to get Ah Ke to call WSG as father....And the two's great concern for Ah Ke most probably say that it's LZC's daughter.

One thing is very obvious....She's not WSG's daughter definitely

Eh....just noticed that I got promoted to senior..... real cool eh ???.....errr
    Last edited by crazee; 02-23-12 at 09:12 PM.
    cheerio..

Default Chapter 32 - Part 5

Sablemagi, Smurf, Crazee, it is just me, or do you also think not much action (i.e. fight) in this novel? Anh, Gubrak, Ali, you are welcome. Thanks for stopping by. Ace, good observation. Sky, you'll find out soon enough.

The shadow flicked his sleeve, a gust of strong wind swept away, jolting the four guards backwards; followed by a palm strike toward Wu Sangui’s back. Wu Sangui could not hold his stand; he was thrown into the room. Just like Wu Sangui’s shadow the person also leaped in, his palm hacked down and struck Wu Sangui’s shoulder. Wu Sangui grunted and fell sitting down on the floor. The person then put his palm on the ‘tian ling’ [sky spirit] acupoint on the top of Wu Sangui’s head, and barked his order to the guards surrounding them, “Quickly release the arrows!”

This turn of events happened so quickly that the guards were taken by surprise. Seeing their Wangye had fallen into the enemy’s hand, who dared to make any move?

“Shifu! Shifu!” Wei Xiaobao called out happily. The person who jumped down from the roof and subdued Wu Sangui was precisely Jiu Nan.

When Wei Xiaobao went to the Three-Sage Nunnery, she followed him in secret, and all along she had been hiding on the roof. When Ping Xi Wang’s Mansion guards arrived by the thousands and surrounded the Three-Sage Nunnery, Gao Yanchao and the others, who were guarding outside the nunnery, did not dare to move rashly. Jiu Nan’s qing gong had reached the pinnacle, she curled up underside the eaves, unexpectedly the guards did not detect her presence.

Jiu Nan stared at Li Zicheng. “Are you really Li Zicheng?” she asked in a majestic voice.

“That’s right,” Li Zicheng replied.

“I heard you were killed on Mount Jiugong, turns out you are still alive today?” Jiu Nan asked.

Li Zicheng nodded. Jiu Nan asked, “Was Ah Ke born to you and her?”

Li Zicheng sighed. He cast a glance toward Chen Yuanyuan, and then nodded.

“I should have known,” Wu Sangui angrily said, “Only a traitor and rebel like you can sire that …”

Jiu Nan kicked his back; she cursed, “Both of you are traitors and bandits, ‘half-jin eight-liang’ [half-pound eight-ounce]; I don’t know which one is a bit more wicked.”

Li Zicheng raised his monk staff and stamped in on the ground, ‘Bang! The green brick immediately shattered into several pieces. “Lowly Nun!” he shouted, “Who do you think you are, dare to speak nonsense like that?”

Seeing his Shifu had arrived, Wei Xiaobao’s courage was greatly boosted; although Li Zicheng was intimidating, he did not fear him the least bit. “You dare to offend my Shifu, are you bored of your life?” he shouted back, “You are a traitor and rebel; my Shifu, the Senior has never said anything incorrect …”

Suddenly he heard ‘whoosh, whoosh’ noise; three lances flew in from outside the window, swiftly shooting toward Jiu Nan. Jiu Nan slightly turned her head to evade, the sleeve of her left arm swept, it coiled around two lances, which she then threw back out the window, while with her right hand she caught the third lance. ‘Ah, ah’ two blood-curdling screech were heard outside the window, two guards were hit by the lances on the pit of their stomach, and died instantly. Jiu Nan placed the tip of the third lance right in the middle of Wu Sangui’s back.

Wu Sangui called out, “Don’t act rashly, everybody withdraw ten steps.” The guards chorused their compliance, and withdrew several steps.

With a cold laugh Jiu Nan said, “What a coincidence. In this tiny meditation room today we have the number one big rebel without any equal since time immemorial, and the number one big traitor without any equal since time immemorial.”

Wei Xiaobao said, “And we have the number one beauty without any equal since time immemorial, and the number one martial art master without any equal since time immemorial.”

Jiu Nan could not stop her grave and stern face from revealing a slight smiling expression. She said, “Number one martial art master? How could I dare? But you are the number one little smart-aleck without any equal since time immemorial.”

Wei Xiaobao burst out in laughter, Chen Yuanyuan also chuckled; but Wu Sangui and Li Zicheng pulled their faces, their minds racing, trying to find a way to escape. All their lives these two men were used to lead large armies, they were ambitious and ruthless characters who were used to fighting in one place after another all over the world, God knows the number of dangers, difficulties and bad risks they had encountered in all their lives; however, in the situation they were currently facing, unexpectedly they were at their wits’ end. They racked their brains thinking about dozens different scenarios, yet they felt none would be effective.

With stern voice Li Zicheng shouted to Jiu Nan, “What do you want?”

Jiu Nan laughed coldly and said, “What do I want? Naturally I want to kill you with my own hands.”

“This Shitai,” Chen Yuanyuan said, “You my daughter, Ah Ke’s Shifu, aren’t you?”

With a cold laugh Jiu Nan replied, “I took your daughter away, I taught her martial art not because of kindness, I want her to assassinate the big traitor with her own hands.” While saying that, she added the strength of her right hand a little bit, the lance sank down, the tip of the lance penetrated about half a cun into Wu Sangui’s flesh. “Ah!” he could not bear not to cry out in pain.

“This Shifu,” Chen Yuanyuan said, “He … he is a total stranger to you, Senior; he has neither grievance nor enmity with you.”

Jiu Nan tossed her head backward and laughed aloud. “He … he has neither grievance nor enmity with me?” she said, “Xiaobao, tell her who I am; also make the big traitor and the big rebel, two people, to understand clearly.”

Wei Xiaobao said, “My Shifu, the Senior, is the Princess born to the Emperor Chong Zhen of the Great Ming, Princess Changping!”

“Ah!” Wu Sangui, Li Zicheng and Chen Yuanyuan exclaimed together; they were all stunned.

Li Zicheng laughed aloud. “Very good, very good,” he said, “I have caused your father’s death in the past, today I can die in your hand, it is a hundred times better than dying under this big traitor’s hands.” While saying that, he took two steps forward, and drove his monk staff to the ground. The tail of the staff went about a chi into the floor. With both hands he pulled his clothes, ‘rip!’ the front part of his robe was torn, exposing his hairy chest. “Princess,” he said with a laugh, “Make your move. The Ol’ Li didn’t die under the traitor’s hands, didn’t die under the Tatars’ hands, but I am losing my life under the Great Ming Princess’ hand; that is very good!”

In all her life, Jiu Nan hated Li Zicheng to the bones, but she always thought that he had already died on Mount Jiugong of Hubei (province), hence it would be difficult for her to avenge this great enmity with her own hand. Today she found out that he was still alive, it was an unexpected delight. However, presently she saw his heroic and open-minded spirit, how in the face of death he maintained his calm and did not show the slightest bit of fear; she could not help but admiring him in her heart. She coldly said, “Sire is indeed a real man. I am going to kill your enemy first today, before taking your life. I’ll let you see it with your own eyes your enemy lose his head, so that you can die happily.”

Li Zicheng was greatly delighted; he cupped his fist and said, “Many thanks Princess, zaixia cannot thank you enough. In all my life my greatest hope is that I will see with my own eyes this big traitor die a violent death.”

Seeing Wu Sangui was groaning under the lance, without any strength to resist, Jiu Nan was unwilling to kill him with the spear just like that; she said to Li Zicheng, “You might as well fulfilling the desire of your heart; come and kill him!”

Li Zicheng was delighted. “Thank you very much!” he said. Looking down toward Wu Sangui he said, “Traitor, in the battle of Shanhai Pass, your braided troops helped you, hence I was unfortunate and my troops lost. Right now you are captured by the Princess, if I kill you just like that, it will be too easy for you; even if you are dead, you won’t be convinced.” Looking up, he said to Jiu Nan, “Your Highness the Princess, please release him, let me stake my life to see who would live and who would die.”

Jiu Nan lifted up the lance and said, “I want to see who would kill who first.”

Still crouching on the floor, Wu Sangui groaned several times. Suddenly he sprang up, seized the monk staff, and ferociously swept it across Jiu Nan’s waist.

“Reckless thing!” Jiu Nan scolded. The lance in her hand turned around, pressing the monk staff down. She exerted her internal energy, Wu Sangui felt his arm numb and aching, the monk staff fell to the ground. The tip of the lance swiftly moved toward his throat. Although Wu Sangui was a brave soldier, in front of martial art expert with profound internal energy like Jiu Nan, he was as helpless as a baby that he was unable to withstand a single move. His face turned ash-grey as he repeatedly withdrew, but the tip of the lance was always pointing at his throat.

Li Zicheng stooped down to pick up the monk staff. Jiu Nan turned the lance around and handed it over to Wu Sangui, saying, “The two of you fight fair and square.”

“Alright!” Wu Sangui shouted. His lance went straight toward Li Zicheng. Li Zicheng waved his monk staff to parry, followed by a counterattack with the staff. Thereupon these two men were engaged in a fierce battle in this tiny meditation room.

Jiu Nan pulled Wei Xiaobao away and told him to stand behind her, to guard against the staff and the lance from injuring him.

Chen Yuanyuan withdrew to the corner of the room; her countenance was deathly pale, she closed her eyes tight, yet the scene from her past flashed in her mind, “When I was in the Ming Dynasty Palace, when Chong Zhen came to visit at night fall, he highly praised my beautiful appearance. The next day the Emperor did not attend the morning court, he stayed in the bedroom in my company, he told me to sing songs for him, he told me to put on rouge and powder, he even picked up eyebrow brush and drew my eyebrows for me. He promised me that he would make me an imperial consort, and then in the future he would make me the Empress. He said that from now on, he would not cast another glance toward all the imperial concubines and consorts in the Palace.

The Emperor was very young; when he was laughing joyously and freely, he could suddenly anxiously stop in daze. He was the Emperor, but in my heart, he was no different than those young masters of nobility or rich families who visit the prostitutes at the courtyard. In three days, day and night he did not leave me even for a single step. Early morning the fourth day, I woke up before he did; I saw a bloodless face on the pillow next to me, his cheeks were hollow, his eyebrows knitted closely. He was anxious even in his sleep. I thought, ‘Is this the Emperor? If he is the Emperor, why is he unhappy like this?’

That day, he went to the morning court. When he returned in the afternoon, his countenance was even paler, his eyebrows wrinkled even tighter. He suddenly threw a fit at me, he accused me of interfering with the national affairs. He said that he was a brilliant ruler, hence he must not lose himself in female charms and turn into a muddleheaded ruler. He wanted to strive harder; therefore, he immediately ordered Empress Zhou to send me out of the Palace. He said that I was a witch who harmed the country, and that while I was in the Palace for three days, the rebel thief Li Zicheng had already broken through three cities.

I was not grieved; men are just like that, whenever something unpleasant happens, they always blame the women. The Emperor was worrying all day, his heart was scared; he was afraid of this man named Li Zicheng. At that time I thought, ‘Li Zicheng is such an amazing man, he can make the Emperor afraid; I wonder what kind of man is he?’”

Chen Yuanyuan opened her eyes; she saw Li Zicheng was brandishing his monk staff, striking Wu Sangui again and again. Wu Sangui was dodging and evading, fast and nimble, all along the monk staff failed to hit him. Chen Yuanyuan thought, “His movement is still very fast. These last several years, he still train martial art every day, because … because he wants to be the Emperor, he wants to lead his troops to attack Beijing.”

She remembered that when she left the Palace, she returned to the Zhou Guo Zhang [lit. the Emperor’s father-in-law] Mansion. One day, the Guo Zhang Mansion held a big feast, inviting many guests. She was ordered to come out to sing and dance, to entertain the guests. It was that night that Wu Sangui saw her. To this day, she could still remember it clearly, under the candlelight, she saw his eyes were burning with desire as he stared at her across the banquet table. In all her life she had seen this kind of stare too many times. Following the stare, the man, who was like a beast, may pounce on her, he may embrace her tightly, and may tear away her clothes. It’s just that at that time it was a public place with a big crowd …

Suddenly she thought, “When that baby high-ranking official saw me a moment ago, his eyes also revealed that kind of look. It’s so funny. Such a young baby also shows a burning desire toward me. Ay! All men are like that, old men are like that, little boys are also like that.”

She looked up and cast a glance toward Wei Xiaobao. She saw his face was full of excitement as he watched the fight between Li and Wu, two people. By this time Wu Sangui had begun to counterattack, the lance in his hand continuously attacked the enemy.

“He asked Zhou Guo Zhang for me,” she continued her reminiscing, “In just a few days, the Emperor sent him to guard the Shanhai Pass, to defend the border against Manchurian troops’ invasion. But Li Zicheng broke through Beijing first, Emperor Chong Zhen hung himself on the Coal Hill. Li Zicheng’s troops captured me, and presented me to him. This straightforward man, is he the one the Emperor Chong Zhen dreaded even in his sleep? He had broken into Beijing, but he was very busy. The Ming Dynasty’s officials were murdered by him by the dozens. His troops raped and pillaged Beijing, they arrested countless people, tortured them and demanded ransom for them; countless innocent common people were also massacred by them. But every night when he came to accompany me, he was always very happy, his laughter was very loud. His snoring was also very loud, he often woke me up in the middle of the night with the noise of his snoring. The hair on his arms, his legs, and his chest was very long, very thick. I have never seen a man like him.

Sablemagi, Smurf, Crazee, it is just me, or do you also think not much action (i.e. fight) in this novel? Anh, Gubrak, Ali, you are welcome. Thanks for stopping by. Ace, good observation. Sky, you'll find out soon enough.
    Wow....lots of action and the poor beautiful lady's thoughts....I suppose she's the Helen of troy for China.

Thanks Foxs, the action had been rather low the couple of chapters...
    We get to see less XB antics and of course fights.
    In a way I miss the young Emperor and XB's Shuang er...her witty and clever comments are always fun.

Hey all you people do have a good week end. Have fun.

Yeah....the last and first to post .....
    Last edited by crazee; 02-24-12 at 03:33 AM.
    cheerio..

Now I wonder who did CYY love most? Right now she seems very smitten with LZC.

Thanks Foxs

Thanks for another great update foxs! Have a great weekend.

Thank you Foxs!!!