Thread: External Drive has strange name beside the drive letter

Default External Drive has strange name beside the drive letter

Hi,

I encounter this problem twice. The first time happen on an external harddisk and the 2nd time on a pendrive.

When I plug the external harddisk to a PC with window 2000 profession, a strange name display beside the drive letter of the external harddisk and the harddisk turn out to be corrupted. That PC also has some problem. That's why I plug the harddisk to it hoping to backup the data there before reformatting it. But, when I plug the same harddisk to another PC (notebook), that PC still unable to access the drive, but, the the strange name was not shown.

The same happen for my pendrive. When I plug it to mu collegue's PC, it show 'Kelvin Lee' beside sthe drive letter, but, I have absolutely no idea who is this person and how come hiss name become my drive name. but, when I plug it in my notebook, my notebook just show 'Removable Disk' beside the drive letter. My pendrive works fine and is not corrupted. I scan it and found a 'password revealer' called 'mailpv.exe' in it though.

Anyone has any idea what's going on here? It's the problem with the PCs that display the strange name of the external device?
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    Hi,

I encounter this problem twice. The first time happen on an external harddisk and the 2nd time on a pendrive.

When I plug the external harddisk to a PC with window 2000 profession, a strange name display beside the drive letter of the external harddisk and the harddisk turn out to be corrupted. That PC also has some problem. That's why I plug the harddisk to it hoping to backup the data there before reformatting it. But, when I plug the same harddisk to another PC (notebook), that PC still unable to access the drive, but, the the strange name was not shown.

The same happen for my pendrive. When I plug it to mu collegue's PC, it show 'Kelvin Lee' beside sthe drive letter, but, I have absolutely no idea who is this person and how come hiss name become my drive name. but, when I plug it in my notebook, my notebook just show 'Removable Disk' beside the drive letter. My pendrive works fine and is not corrupted. I scan it and found a 'password revealer' called 'mailpv.exe' in it though.

Anyone has any idea what's going on here? It's the problem with the PCs that display the strange name of the external device?
    Here is information about Mailpv.exe:http://forum.firetrust.com/viewtopic...t=1326&start=0. This seems to view previous passwords and this potential hacker hacked into your password protected files.Maybe your external harddrive shows up differently;my advice you need to add or remove something try to disconnect the internet before doing it.
    Check out: http://samthetypist.spaces.live.com/ ; Currently under construction;Check out http://www.soundclick.com/spcnet07 , provided by Sugar.

i named all my external drives, so if anyone plug up my external drives to their comps, they will see all sort of names (weird or not depending if you understood my name-giving tastes)

but if you hadnt done so and the external drive miraculously acquire some name on its own then its another story.
    o wilku mowa...♪

The only thing I need to know is that I don't know anything.

Yeah, I think the drives are infected liao. They cannot be accessed at all now.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

I think your colleague's machine is infected and not working properly. So best way is to back-up necessary files from it and then fresh install new OS. As for backing up if your hard drives won't work on Windows 2000 environment, try using pre-installed bootable live OS CD/DVD. I find Part-PE very handy when it comes to saving files from machines where the OS has broken down and won't initiate.

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

Also don't forget to double scan your hard-drive and if possible format it to be in safe side.
    "Big Hero Linghu kills frogs with the Dugu Nine Swords!”