Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite scenes in wuxia

Default Favorite scenes in wuxia

We all have our favorite moments in wuxia. What's yours?

Here are a few that I like.

** may contain spoilers **

-In ROCH, after 2 pebbles of Divine Snap killed Huodu, people couldn't figure out how 2 pebbles from opposite ends could be launched simultaneously. At this time, an old man's laughter voice was heard: "time to reveal ourselves, my young friend Yang Guo." Then, 2 people came out of the shadow, descending into the crowd like divine angels, as Huang Yaoshi reached for and held Yang Guo's little hand just in time for the landing.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Xiao Feng's fight at Shaolin, he sent chills down Ding Chunqiu's spine, demanding who thinks they can beat his dragon palms. Then later on he had the best insult for MRF. It's an insult to me, being grouped together with a coward like you.

LHX's bravado as told through Yilin in SPW. I thought that was excellent story telling, before we even meet the character of LHX, we learn of his clever and selfless exploits told in a room of people who held contempt for him.

LHX's fights at the peach valley manor up until the prison, and his fight with Tian Buoguang.

LOCH
    * Guo Jing asking Genghis Khan for a favour, but is interrupted. Genghis goes to watch the city being slaughtered. Guo Jing is angered by what he sees, and demands that it should be stopped. Genghis, equally angered by Guo Jing, asks him if this is what he wants. Guo Jing considers the likelihood of his relationship with Huang Rong ending, but decides that saving innocent lives is far more important than any personal matters. The slaughter stops, Guo Jing is a pariah among the Mongolian staff, but he doesn't care. He only cares about the thousands of civilian dead resulting from his actions. The greatest piece of heroism in the Condor trilogy.
    * The Mongolian army approaches the Song city. Lower ranking officers are dumbfounded by the appearance of a young man and woman blocking their way, and call in higher officers. The tumen commander is equally astonished by the sight of the legendary Guo Jing, and calls in the army commander. Guo Jing and Tolui engage in talks, 50 feet apart, each wary of the other. Huang Rong signals to the hidden army, and Tolui is frightened off, having already been unnerved by Guo Jing's achievements and reputation during the western expedition.

ROCH
    * Yang Guo waits for Xiao Longnu. On the agreed date, she doesn't appear, and he chases the sun to make the day last longer. A new day begins, and he realises what happened 16 years ago. He calls out to Xiao Longnu, bis voice echoing in the valley. In terms of literary quality, the best passage in the Condor trilogy.

HSDS
    * Zhang Wuji defends Wudang against the Mongolian fighters. Delighted by the revelation that his presumed dead grand disciple is alive and well, Zhang Sanfeng leisurely teaches him Taiji swordplay in front of everyone. Zhang Wuji understands the principles from the start, and learns by unlearning, to everyone's bemusement. One of the philosophically deepest moments in the trilogy, conveniently packaged in an emtertainingly dramatic form.

- guo fu slashed off yg's arm.
    - duan yu laser-shot the hell outta murong fu + xiao feng grabbed mr fu by the scruff of the neck and lifted him up like lifting a chicken.
    - half-dead lhchong in ryying's care by the side of a spring.
    - yang kang died in agony from the snake poison on hr's armor.
    - zwj tickled zm in the underground trap + zwj wiped the floor with zm's 3 lackeys.

Quote Originally Posted by forgot password View Post
    - guo fu slashed off yg's arm.
    - duan yu laser-shot the hell outta murong fu + xiao feng grabbed mr fu by the scruff of the neck and lifted him up like lifting a chicken.
    - half-dead lhchong in ryying's care by the side of a spring.
    - yang kang died in agony from the snake poison on hr's armor.
    - zwj tickled zm in the underground trap + zwj wiped the floor with zm's 3 lackeys.
    Hmm... it looks like you have a preference for pain.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    If zat is the case, he should also enjoy:

-Ah Zi torturing You Tanzhi
    -Ding Busan beating the hell out of innocent people
    -Bai Zizai smacking the brains out of innocent disciples
    -Huang Yaoshi killing a servant for no reason
    -Di Yun (Cantonese: Dik Wan) getting hard metal drilled through his shoulder blades.

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    hmm!! yeah, scenes like zwj breaking zm's lackeys' limb bones into pieces give me goose bump.
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    If zat is the case, he should also enjoy:

-Ah Zi torturing You Tanzhi
    -Ding Busan beating the hell out of innocent people
    -Bai Zizai smacking the brains out of innocent disciples
    -Di Yun (Cantonese: Dik Wan) getting hard metal drilled through his shoulder blades.
    the dot-dot-dot used in my previous post means there are many more scenes on the same theme that i enjoy. indeed, i like the scenes you listed, especially the ah zi and youtanzhi one. speaking of tlbb, xiaofeng massacring a sh!t load of chickens at the juxian manor is also very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    When did Huang Yaoshi kill a servant without no reason? Is it in the book or are you talking about some TV adaptation?

Quote Originally Posted by goodrick View Post
    When did Huang Yaoshi kill a servant without no reason? Is it in the book or are you talking about some TV adaptation?
    黄药师厉声道:“你这狡诈贪得的小子,谁是你的岳父?今后你再踏上桃花岛一步,休怪黄某无情。”反手一掌, 击在一名哑仆的背心,喝道:“这就是你的榜样!” ... 那哑仆虽然死有余辜,但突然间无缘无故被他挥掌打入海心,众人心中都是暗叹:“黄老邪确是邪得可以。”

黄药师厉声道:“你这狡诈贪得的小子,谁是你的岳父?今后你再踏上桃花岛一步,休怪黄某无情。”反手一掌, 击在一名哑仆的背心,喝道:“这就是你的榜样!” ... 那哑仆虽然死有余辜,但突然间无缘无故被他挥掌打入海心,众人心中都是暗叹:“黄老邪确是邪得可以。”
    Where was this?

I'm sorry I don't understand that language. Can you please translate that into English. Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    LOCH
    * Guo Jing asking Genghis Khan for a favour, but is interrupted. Genghis goes to watch the city being slaughtered. Guo Jing is angered by what he sees, and demands that it should be stopped. Genghis, equally angered by Guo Jing, asks him if this is what he wants. Guo Jing considers the likelihood of his relationship with Huang Rong ending, but decides that saving innocent lives is far more important than any personal matters. The slaughter stops, Guo Jing is a pariah among the Mongolian staff, but he doesn't care. He only cares about the thousands of civilian dead resulting from his actions. The greatest piece of heroism in the Condor trilogy.
    * The Mongolian army approaches the Song city. Lower ranking officers are dumbfounded by the appearance of a young man and woman blocking their way, and call in higher officers. The tumen commander is equally astonished by the sight of the legendary Guo Jing, and calls in the army commander. Guo Jing and Tolui engage in talks, 50 feet apart, each wary of the other. Huang Rong signals to the hidden army, and Tolui is frightened off, having already been unnerved by Guo Jing's achievements and reputation during the western expedition.

ROCH
    * Yang Guo waits for Xiao Longnu. On the agreed date, she doesn't appear, and he chases the sun to make the day last longer. A new day begins, and he realises what happened 16 years ago. He calls out to Xiao Longnu, bis voice echoing in the valley. In terms of literary quality, the best passage in the Condor trilogy.

HSDS
    * Zhang Wuji defends Wudang against the Mongolian fighters. Delighted by the revelation that his presumed dead grand disciple is alive and well, Zhang Sanfeng leisurely teaches him Taiji swordplay in front of everyone. Zhang Wuji understands the principles from the start, and learns by unlearning, to everyone's bemusement. One of the philosophically deepest moments in the trilogy, conveniently packaged in an emtertainingly dramatic form.
    Me like

Would also point out two moments when I really connected with the character and "felt" their pain.
    - HSDS - after his parents killed themselves and everybody else has left Wudan, 2nd hero told ZWJ that he could cry know.
    - LOCH - Ying Gu told the story about how she killed her own son out of mercy.

Sad sad parts, but great writings that really captured the emotions of the characters.
    You do know that it is just fiction, dont you?

Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    ROCH
    * Yang Guo waits for Xiao Longnu. On the agreed date, she doesn't appear, and he chases the sun to make the day last longer. A new day begins, and he realises what happened 16 years ago. He calls out to Xiao Longnu, his voice echoing in the valley. In terms of literary quality, the best passage in the Condor trilogy.
    This is also one of my favorites.

Other faves:

LOCH
    I enjoy the scene in which Guo Jing discovers for the first time that his new friend Huang Rong is actually a girl. But I also like that on the way to the lake where he meets her in her feminine attire, he encounters Hou Tonghai and his flunkies all suspended upside down from trees (by Huang Rong). When he refuses to help them down, one of them threatens to urinate on him.
    ---------------
    Guo Jing and Huang Rong are hiding in the secret room at the inn in Ox Village. Guo Jing is concentrating on his practice while healing the stab wound Yang Kang inflicted on him. Suddenly a shaft of sunlight from the peephole falls on Huang Rong, making her appear incredibly beautiful. Aroused, Guo Jing starts to lose his focus and tries to get up and kiss her.
    ---------------
    Later on, when Huang Rong is injured, he determinedly carries her to Yinggu's hut to seek aid. And when she is kidnapped by Ouyang Feng, he frantically searches for her for months. Guo Jing's absolute devotion to Huang Rong always appeals to me.

ROCH
    When Yang Guo and Xiao Longnu are reunited at Da Xing Guan following their first separation. As the contest between Huo Dou and Zhu Zhiliu continues, the loving couple are completely oblivious. They don't pay any attention to anyone until Zhu Zhiliu's calligraphy brush falls on Xiao Longnu's white gown and smudges it with ink. Then Yang Guo becomes indignant and wants to punish the miscreant who soiled his beloved Gu Gu's clothing.
    -------------------
    Again at Da Xing Guan, after Guo Jing berates Yang Guo for his improper relationship with his shifu, Yang Guo stands up for himself and demands to know how their relationship harms anyone else. Even the threat that Guo Jing will kill him on the spot doesn't lessen his resolve.
    -------------------
    In Passionless Valley, when Yang Guo finds Xiao Longnu again after their second separation and she refuses to recognize him, he passionately proclaims that she can beat him or stab him and he'll bear it, but he can't bear her failing to acknowledge him. He is so overcome by emotion that he spits up blood.

SPW
    After leaving Huashan in the aftermath of Lu Dayou's death, the Huashan party take refuge from the rain at the abandoned Yaowang Temple. Linghu Chong has realized by this point that his internal energy has been irreparably damaged, though his master doesn't seem to recognize this or care about his ill health. When a crowd of masked men attack, he he's thrown helplessly into the mud. But he finally manages to get to his feet and courageously uses Dugu Jiu Jian to defend his shifu and fellow disciples, even though no one other than his shiniang is showing him any consideration.
    --------------------------
    After their fight with Fangsheng, Linghu Chong and Ren Yingying rest in a secluded valley. Linghu Chong's injuries are rapidly worsening. Yingying is very solicitous of him, catching frogs and picking fruit for him every day. But despite her efforts he is near death. One day he wakes from a nap to find Yingying weeping over him. Overcome with emotion when he realizes that she cares so much for him, he passes out.
    ---------------------------
    The entire sequence when Linghu Chong is imprisoned beneath the lake in Hangzhou is another favorite. I particularly like the description of him taking off his clothes to cool off in the hot weather, and later finding Ren Woxing's writings impressed into the flesh of his buttocks.

Book and Sword
    Following a huge fight with the Manchu army on the banks of the Yellow River, the Red Flower heroes becomes separated from one another. Zhou Qi is knocked out and wakes up during a rainstorm to find herself lying on the ground next to Xu Tianhong (hope I spelled that right). After escaping from the soldiers, he asks her to help him remove some needle projectiles from his shoulder. Even though they've always argued and she doesn't seem to like him, Zhou Qi bravely cares for him, and later goes into town to look for a doctor when his injury starts to fester. She kills a sinister man - who coincidentally was planning to kill Yu Yutong and rape Li Yuanzhi, though Zhou Qi doesn't know that - and forces the doctor to treat Xu Tianhong's wounds.
    -------------------------
    After Xu recovers, they stumble upon a group of men who've kidnapped Zhou Qi's mother. They drug the men and rescue her mother, but then Xu becomes concerned that her reputation might be harmed if it's revealed that she traveled alone with a man who wasn't a relative, so he leaves. Afterward Zhou Qi claims she doesn't care, but she pouts and her mother immediately recognizes that she's fallen in love with him.
    你看这些云彩,聚了又散,散了又聚,人生离合也是一样。

Quote Originally Posted by goodrick View Post
    I'm sorry I don't understand that language. Can you please translate that into English. Thank You
    Sure, here is my ad hoc translation:

Huang Yaoshi declared [to Guo Jing]: "You scum, who is your father in law? If you dare return to my island, there will be no mercy." He then hit a servant behind him, citing: "This is your example!" ... Though the servant deserved to die [because he was evil in the past], but to kill a servant and toss him into the sea for no apparent reason, all who were present thought: "Eastern Heretic Huang Yaoshi is really wicked."

黄药师厉声道:“你这狡诈贪得的小子,谁是你的岳父?今后你再踏上桃花岛一步,休怪黄某无情。 ”反手一掌, 击在一名哑仆的背心,喝道:“这就是你的榜样!” ... 那哑仆虽然死有余辜,但突然间无缘无故被他挥掌打入海心,众人心中都是暗叹:“黄老邪确是邪得 可以。”

Quote Originally Posted by sniffles View Post
    When Yang Guo and Xiao Longnu are reunited at Da Xing Guan following their first separation. As the contest between Huo Dou and Zhu Zhiliu continues, the loving couple are completely oblivious. They don't pay any attention to anyone until Zhu Zhiliu's calligraphy brush falls on Xiao Longnu's white gown and smudges it with ink. Then Yang Guo becomes indignant and wants to punish the miscreant who soiled his beloved Gu Gu's clothing.
    Gosh, I hated that one...:-) Characters that behave like this *deserve* to suffer...;-)

Anyway...
    My faves (just a selection - don't want to spend whole night writing this...;-)):

Sentimental Swordsman, Ruthless Sword
    - The first parting of Li Xun Huan and Ah Fei after they've drunk wine together.
    - The prelude to the duel between Li Xun Huan and Guo Song Yang.

ROCH
    - The duel between Ouyang Feng ang Hong Qigong and the two oldtimers dying in a fit of laughter.
    - Zhen Zhibing growing balls after all those years & facing both XLN and the Mongols.

Lu Xiao Feng series
    - The meeting between Hua Man Lou and Xi Men Chui Xue in the first book. Hua Man Lou comments on XMCX's "aura of death", suggests that master Xi Men should spend less time killing and more time smelling flowers (well, he doesn't put it exactly that way) - and totally owns the scene.
    - The duel between XMCX and Ye Gu Cheng - esp. the passage that describes that one decisive moment.

Sword and the Exquisiteness
    - Palace of Enchantment and Yu Peiyu under the influence of the aphrodisiac...
    别想把黑暗放在我的面前
    太阳已经生长在我心底
    不再有封闭的畏惧
    奔腾的灵魂飞上天际
    太阳 我在这里

You Manor Massacre courtesy of EtOH infused XF
    Royal Rumble at Shaolin
    HYS's first appearance
    Ming Peak pacifier vs. 6 Sects
    Ah San and Ah Er's demise in the hands of a taichi powered ZWJ
    Telling of LHC's heroics against serial rapist
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

I just LOVE huge fight scenes.

DGSD
    - XF opening a can of whoop-*** at Ju Xian manor
    - Big fight at Shaolin

HSDS
    - ZWJ taking care of business at Brightness peak
    - ZWJ taking care of business at Wudang

Quote Originally Posted by sniffles View Post
    -------------------
    In Passionless Valley, when Yang Guo finds Xiao Longnu again after their second separation and she refuses to recognize him, he passionately proclaims that she can beat him or stab him and he'll bear it, but he can't bear her failing to acknowledge him. He is so overcome by emotion that he spits up blood.
    This scene might have been good before Huang Xiaoming's pansy acting ruined it for me. But really, the dialog seems kinda overly emo even for me.

Most of my favourites are from Gu Long's 'Dagger Li' series.

Grandpa Sun sprouting his Zen theories while Shangguan and Li were facing each other off.

Many many Fu Hongxue scenes. e.g. Those where his confidence and martial ability comes and goes due to psychological factors. His initial encounters with Xiao Ting.

Dang, too many to recall now. Will edit this later.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

This scene might have been good before Huang Xiaoming's pansy acting ruined it for me. But really, the dialog seems kinda overly emo even for me.
    Frankly, the love scenes in ROCH tend to be overdone for me. I felt it way harder in the gut in the scenes where GJ is frantically searching for HR and when his spirit was completely crushed when he thought he had just found where HR died just as OYF captured him.