Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 26 of 26

Thread: Which wuxia characters are known to be multilingual?

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    155

    Default

    Wait, did they even speak Mandarin back in the Song dynasty?

    I thought Mandarin only got popular and became pseudo official dialect after the founding of Yuan dynasty. The mandarin was mostly a Northern dialect, hence the connection with the Mongols.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,899

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dimeron View Post
    Wait, did they even speak Mandarin back in the Song dynasty?

    I thought Mandarin only got popular and became pseudo official dialect after the founding of Yuan dynasty. The mandarin was mostly a Northern dialect, hence the connection with the Mongols.
    Bumping this. What was the official dialect of Chinese during the Song dynasty? I know that Cantonese preserves some artefacts of the Chinese language that no longer exist in Mandarin, presumably because of its remoteness in the far south.

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    704

    Default

    Xiao Feng , 3 languages
    wei xiaobao , 1 and half language
    shuang er , 2 languages
    foreigners who come to central plains

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,956

    Default

    Xiao zhao, her mum = persian and mandarin.
    In that case, how did jhpp know mandarin?

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,899

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    Xiao zhao, her mum = persian and mandarin.
    In that case, how did jhpp know mandarin?
    There were links between Yuan and the Ilkhanate. Presumably nobility and people trained for diplomacy would know the official languages of Yuan (Chinese) and the Ilkhanate (Persian).

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,956

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    There were links between Yuan and the Ilkhanate. Presumably nobility and people trained for diplomacy would know the official languages of Yuan (Chinese) and the Ilkhanate (Persian).
    Good pt. Ghpp may be trilingual, knowing mongol language too.
    Similarly, zm will know her own language and mandarin.
    Who is the most knowledgeable in language = know the most languages in the wuxia world then?

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-09-14, 02:41 AM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-05-13, 03:11 PM
  3. Female characters in wuxia
    By Han Solo in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 08-03-10, 10:08 PM
  4. ...wuxia characters that don't get any love...
    By Cesare in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 11-21-09, 09:40 AM
  5. Damage taken by wuxia characters
    By tape in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-19-07, 12:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •