Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Martial arts level of the young Chow Bak Tung?

Default Martial arts level of the young Chow Bak Tung?

What was the martial arts level of the young Chow Bak Tung during the time when he first met Ying Goo? He was considerably weaker than his sect brother Central Divinity Wong Chung Yeung and the other Greats, but was he nevertheless better than almost anyone else in the martial world of the time.

remind me again...just what sect were WCY and ZBT in together? i mean, it's common knowledge but i just can't remember at the moment.
    Beggar Society: Furthering the cause of homeless bullies since 1173.

Quan Zhen.

ZBT didn't participate in Hoa San Mountain competition, so we don't know how good is he at that time. Maybe at the same level like QQR before LOCH.
    I think his kungfu increased so much during HYS captivated him at Peach Island for 10 years. He could create L/R technique & Vacant Fist and battle HYS to a draw.
    Last edited by Raden Wijaya; 02-11-04 at 07:32 AM.
    When you feel like you're the POOREST man in the world ....
    COUNT your BLESSING, then suddenly you are one of the RICHEST man in the universe!

all this time, i thought WCY founded QZ himself...

if that's not true, then why are WCY's disciples the ONLY top disciples in QZ? granted, WCY was the best but there had to be someone else around...

oh well. i remember reading a rumor somewhere in the forums that though ZBT was a martial brother to WCY, he learned most of his foundation from WCY himself. can anyone back up that statement? if not, then don't worry about it.

yes, wang chong yang taught zhou bo tong martial skills himself. zhou bo tong told this to gj on the peach flower island. so wong chong yang was not actually the founder of xuan zhen?
    人生悲怆,世态炎凉,前程又茫茫。 滴滴珠泪,缕缕柔肠,更无限凄惶。 满斟绿
    醑,暂赴醉乡,莫道我痴狂。 今日欢笑,明日忧伤,世事本无常!

一棹春风一叶舟,一纶茧缕一轻钩。
    花满渚,酒满瓯,万顷波中得自由。

WCY is the founder, and taught ZBT martial art. WCY only consider ZBT as a brother instead of a pupil. I guess because of his age was somewhere near WCY.

Mount Olympus, sipping nectar and eating ambrosia

No, it was because Zhou Botong was a good friend and sworn brother of Wang even before he became a Taoist priest. Therefore his status was higher than the Seven Masters of Quanzhen, but his age was about the same with Ma Yu, Liu Chuxuan, Hao Datong, Sun Buer etc.

According to the novel ROCH, Wang Chongyang did indeed found the Quanzhen School. After losing the bet to Lin Chaoying he had to build either a Taoist temple or a Buddhist monastery on Mount Zhongnan and live there for at least 10 years. Wang Chongyang chose Taoism and became the founder of the Taoist sect: Quanzhen.
    Last edited by Athena; 02-11-04 at 06:24 PM.
    So huge, so hopeless, to conceive
    As these that twice befell
    Parting is all we know of heaven
    And all we need of hell.

Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)

Yes, he basically "forced" WCY to become his sworn brother despite WCY being much older, just like later he "forced" GJ to become his sworn brother besides GJ being much younger

So Guo Jing and Wong Chong Yang are sworn brothers?

no no no, it doesn't transfer that way. just because WCY is sworn brothers with ZBT and ZBT is sworn brothers with GJ, it does NOT imply that WCY was sworn brothers with GJ. there's no transitive property in brotherhood.

still, no one has really answered my question tho: did WCY really found QZ, or was there an old master that i personally don't know about?

at any rate, it doesn't matter because we've established that ZBT learned his martial arts foundation from WCY. therefore, i don't think he would have been below any of the 7 masters of QZ at any given time, and (obviously) greatly surpassed them by the end of ROCH. however, this doesn't really mean much concerning his younger years...

i'd picture ZBT when he was young as an intelligent, but typical student. i don't think he would qualify as a hero --- in other words, people like GJ and YG who experience great martial arts status and experience at a young age.
    Last edited by sixdays; 02-11-04 at 06:22 PM.

Originally posted by sixdays
    no no no, it doesn't transfer that way. just because WCY is sworn brothers with ZBT and ZBT is sworn brothers with GJ, it does NOT imply that WCY was sworn brothers with GJ. there's no transitive property in brotherhood.
    I guess Duan Yu and Xu Zhu missed this lesson too.

"still, no one has really answered my question tho: did WCY really found QZ, or was there an old master that i personally don't know about?"

Read athena's post above you one more time.....if u missed it again YES he did form QZ he was forced to after losing a bet to LCY. Dont know about WCY being GJ sworn brother though XZ and QF are sworn brothers through DY but GJ and WCY never met so i dunno. Tehcnically he is GJ great grand master and YG great great grandmaster.
    Last edited by duguxiaojing; 02-11-04 at 11:29 PM.

Originally posted by duguxiaojing
    "still, no one has really answered my question tho: did WCY really found QZ, or was there an old master that i personally don't know about?"

Read athena's post above you one more time.....if u missed it again YES he did form QZ he was forced to after losing a bet to LCY. Dont know about WCY being GJ sworn brother though XZ and QF are sworn brothers through DY but GJ and WCY met so i dunno. Tehcnically he is GJ great grand master and YG great great grandmaster.
    no WCY and GJ never met. WCY died way before the LOCH story began.
    Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A B A Start

thanks. i always thought WCY founded QZ, but i just wanted to make sure. as to the DY and XZ situation, that was different...after all, the 3 later became great friends and were all contemporaries. as vicious said, WCY already passed away by the time LOCH began. that puts the "transitive brotherhood" thing in a whole different light. how could GJ be brothers with WCY if they never even met? that's like me being a sworn brother with your grandpa.

by the way, vicious, i find it funny that you're called vicious yet you have a pic of spike as your avatar.

thanks. i always thought WCY founded QZ, but i just wanted to make sure. as to the DY and XZ situation, that was different...after all, the 3 later became great friends and were all contemporaries. as vicious said, WCY already passed away by the time LOCH began. that puts the "transitive brotherhood" thing in a whole different light. how could GJ be brothers with WCY if they never even met? that's like me being a sworn brother with your grandpa.
    How about ZBT, GJ, and Tuli (one of Genghis Khan's sons)? The three were alive at the same time, does that mean ZBT was Tuli's sworn brother too?

YEAH THATS WHAT I MEANT I MISSED THE NEVER IN THERE SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION.

How about ZBT, GJ, and Tuli (one of Genghis Khan's sons)? The three were alive at the same time, does that mean ZBT was Tuli's sworn brother too?
    Good question dont forget to throw YK in there 2

were they friends? did they end up agreeing on it once and for all before fighting against the mongol hordes?

you guys are just tryin to bust a blood vessel in my head.

haha just playin, but i meant what i said

were they friends? did they end up agreeing on it once and for all before fighting against the mongol hordes?

you guys are just tryin to bust a blood vessel in my head.

haha just playin, but i meant what i said
    That's right, I was just pulling your leg

Well, in the end of LOCH right before Genghis Khan died, Tuli brought GJ to meet him. I guess by that time they were still friends and sworn brothers. I think even in ROCH Khubilai Khan still referred to GJ as "uncle."