Thread: Most interesting Jin Yong wuxia characters

Default Most interesting Jin Yong wuxia characters

Who in Jin Yong wuxia do you find to be most interesting, fascinating, and complex?

He has written so many interesting characters that come alive; these are the ones that stand out to me:

1. Xiao Feng - at first looks like just a less flawed version of Guo Jing, but I find that he stands out apart from the others in many ways, not the least of which is the way that he was introduced (after 13 or so chapters) and written off (dying).

2. Huang Yaoshi - nuff said.

3. Yang Kang - everyone in the novel condemned him, but it seems like many in real life sympathize with him.

4. Hua Tiegan - we get to see him turn from good to bad in action. One of the few to undergo this process in front of us.

5. Jianshen Zhuo Bufan - still the most distinguished minor character receiving royal treatment in terms of performing prestigious feats.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Yang Guo. Someone whose many character flaws are also the basis of many of his heroic qualities. A contradictory and yet consistent character. IMHO the most complex and interesting of the protagonists.

YG. there are many sides of him.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Huang Yaoshi - nuff said.

Yang Kang - everyone in the novel condemned him, but it seems like many in real life sympathize with him.
    Agree with Huang Yaoshi - such disregard for social norms, so cool and individualistic, yet so powerful. I can't think of any modern day real life tycoon like him. But if there was someone like him in our world, his celeb status would be far reaching.

Yang Kang and shall I add his mom Bao Xiruo - YK holds endless fascination for filmmakers and fan fiction writers alike because of his conflicted upbringing, and the fact that he has the most beautiful mother in the trilogy who started off the whole tragedy. I think people are endlessly fascinated by fabulously beautiful women whose beauty can ensnare a powerful king/prince/duke so completely (think Yang Guifei, Xi Shi) that they bring about colossal changes in history.
    Last edited by xiaolong; 08-07-10 at 08:00 PM.

I have to scratch off YK from my list. Conceptually, he seems like a very interesting character, but I didn't find him well written.

His son is much more interesting and well written.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by xiaolong View Post
    Agree with Huang Yaoshi - such disregard for social norms, so cool and individualistic, yet so powerful. I can't think of any modern day real life tycoon like him. But if there was someone like him in our world, his celeb status would be far reaching.
    Howard Hughs was a huge eccentric. Not in the same way, but enough that no one can relate to him. Maybe not modern day, but Vlad the impaler was a level of badass of his own.