Thread: Who was in greater peril: GJ vs. GWM/four mercenaries or KF vs. Tsui Yin Manor?

Default Who was in greater peril: GJ vs. GWM/four mercenaries or KF vs. Tsui Yin Manor?

In ROCH, Gwok Jing faced mortal danger against the Golden Wheel Monk, Wan Hak Sai, Siu Seung Tze, Lui Mor Singh, and Ma Gorn Jor (yeah...not really, but still...). In DGSD, Kiu Fung nearly succumbed to 200+ wulin warriors at Tsui Yin Manor.

Gwok Jing's opponents included a Greats-level fighter and three experts who, individually, seemed more powerful than any one of the two-hundred or so warriors who ganged up on Kiu Fung at Tsui Yin Manor. On the other hand, it's fighting four or five compared to fighting *two-hundred*. Which of the two great wuxia heroes was in greater peril?

i dont think numbers mean much in wuxia fighting. so GJ was in greater trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic85 View Post
    i dont think numbers mean much in wuxia fighting. so GJ was in greater trouble.
    Both nearly got killed in these two fights. Gwok Jing fought a smaller number of foes, but each foe was much tougher than any one of the two-hundred foes that Kiu Fung faced. As they say in Chinese, however, enough ants will overwhelm an elephant. Those two-hundred who fought Kiu Fung might not have been particularly powerful as individuals, but their combined might was enough to overcome even him.

has there ever been a great fighter in Wuxia stories such as GJ get killed due to the overcome numbers of enemies? honestly, i dont know cuz i havent read enuf, point out some if u do know.

has there ever been a great fighter in Wuxia stories such as GJ get killed due to the overcome numbers of enemies? honestly, i dont know cuz i havent read enuf, point out some if u do know.
    Because of the rules of engagement in wulin, and the sense of honor among elite fighters, it rarely happens. When Gwok Jing was killed during the period between ROCH and HSDS, it was likely in a warfare scenario (organized fights among thousands) rather than a wulin scenario (one-on-one duels).

It is possible to overwhelm even a Great with superior numbers, however.

i hate that rule of engagement in Wulin where u cant use number to overcome ur emeny otherwise u will lose face! HYS couldn't kill LMC in ROCH because of that rule and thus she was left to cause more chaos! more annoying is that rule just come and go in wuxia stories.

i hate that rule of engagement in Wulin where u cant use number to overcome ur emeny otherwise u will lose face! HYS couldn't kill LMC in ROCH because of that rule and thus she was left to cause more chaos! more annoying is that rule just come and go in wuxia stories.
    I think Wong Yerk See was being out-of-character worrying about something like that. Since when did such considerations matter to *him* (of all people)?

If it had been Hung 7 Gung, he probably would have just killed Lee Mok Sau...same reasoning that he used with Kau Cheen Yan at the end of LOCH.

I'd give it to Gwok Jing. Although Kubhlai Khan didn't have an army after Gwok Jing, he was in his territory with the potential of thousands of soldiers swarming the Northern hero. With Ah Chu and Yeung Gor aside, I would assume Kiu Fung leaves the manor easily if he tried as there would be no one that could stop him. It would be more difficult for Gwok Jing to escape from GWM, someone who's fairly equal to him in addition to some decent fighters. Putting Yeung Gor and Ah Chu back into the equation, I would expect it would be easier to escape with Ah Chu, who is although dead weight, but is at least not trying to get their saviour captured unlike Yeung Gor.
    $this->handle_bbcode_url(str_replace('\"', '"', 'http://riderfans.com/forum/image.php?u=129&type=sigpic&dateline=1196205212'), '')

Guo Jing. Guo Jing was going to eventually lose. Xiao Feng looked like he was winning.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!