Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hong Kong Music Band/Group

Default Hong Kong Music Band/Group

Anyone familiar with HK music bands and groups? Many will know the older ones that flourished in the 90's like Beyond, Grasshoppers, Tai Gik, Dry, Tat Ming Pair etc. What about the newers ones? What group or band do you like and recommend?

These 2 sites have quite a long list.
    http://timway.com/hk/Stars/Bands_and_Groups/
    http://www.tinpok.com/list.php?cate_id=2239

I didn't know much about new HK bands mainstream HK singers are mostly individual singers now. But, recently I listened to Kolor and find them quite good. Will check out other bands.
    Last edited by kidd; 08-09-10 at 10:58 AM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Another HK band, Kolor. They are under Wong Kar Keung's company or something.

http://www.myspace.com/kolorhk
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

dont like any new hk bands.

MR. had 1 good song, but other than that, they are pretty bad too.
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

I think the majority of Hong Kong music fans have given up on native-grown rock 'n roll.

And 'tis a shame indeed.

I only know some songs by Beyond. I like them, but not anywhere near as much as some mainland bands.
    别想把黑暗放在我的面前
    太阳已经生长在我心底
    不再有封闭的畏惧
    奔腾的灵魂飞上天际
    太阳 我在这里

Mister and Kolor

yahhhhh! go mister!!!!

I like Mr.'s If I were Eason Chan, but aren't they accused of copying? Like for the song Mr. Tam, it sounds very much like Bon Jovi's It's My Life.

Grasshopper was no band. I'd call them a group.

Beyond was the best.If Wong Ka Kui hadn't passed away so early, what may have been?
    What are you fighting for? Just mix them into pissing beef balls, stupid.
    SOD Pt. 7 updated Jan. 6, '08

Jiang Bao's Karaoke Corner

Did you guys listen to the "Wong Kar Kui Memorial Album"? It contains some of his unreleased works.

http://www.yesasia.com/us/wong-kar-k...0-en/info.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI1xtful36Q

Music by Wong Ka Kui
    Sung by Wong Ngai Ming (voice similar to WKK)

Haha. Have any of you seen the cheesy Beyond variety show in the early 90s?

The whole thing is on youtube.

First Episode: (Special Guest: Leon Lai)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiKgM...el_video_title

They had no choice but to participate in these if they wanna make $.

Got better acquainted with Beyond's songs during a concert in Shanghai... I got fed up after 10 minutes. The only thing I liked about that ingratiating saccharine poprock was the fact that it was sung in Cantonese.
    I still like those couple of songs that once made me think Beyond might be my cup of tea, but otherwise I am going to avoid that band's stuff like a plague.

If all HK attempts at rock are like that, they should leave rock music to Mainlanders.
    Anyone got any interesting tips that might help restore my faith in HK rock musicians?
    别想把黑暗放在我的面前
    太阳已经生长在我心底
    不再有封闭的畏惧
    奔腾的灵魂飞上天际
    太阳 我在这里

Quote Originally Posted by Cesare View Post
    Got better acquainted with Beyond's songs during a concert in Shanghai... I got fed up after 10 minutes. The only thing I liked about that ingratiating saccharine poprock was the fact that it was sung in Cantonese.
    I still like those couple of songs that once made me think Beyond might be my cup of tea, but otherwise I am going to avoid that band's stuff like a plague.

If all HK attempts at rock are like that, they should leave rock music to Mainlanders.
    Anyone got any interesting tips that might help restore my faith in HK rock musicians?
    If you're used to anglosphere rock, rock from anywhere else is likely to pale in comparison. Do as I do and appreciate the different genres elsewhere. I doubt if I'll find any Asian rock bands that'll compare with the British punk/rock/pop bands which are my main oeuvre. But it doesn't mean I can't appreciate kayokyoku.

During the 1960s and 1970s, bands such as Sam Hui's Lotus, Teddy Robbin and the Playboys, etc., could rock with the best of them (although their early records were just covers of Elvis Presley, the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, etc.). That was a long time ago, though.

Those 1960s Hong Kong rock 'n roll bands had really good taste in terms of their choices of cover songs, though. The Lotus recorded stuff such as Del Shannon's "Searchin'" and the Beau Brummels' "Just a Little," which were obscure hits even in the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    During the 1960s and 1970s, bands such as Sam Hui's Lotus, Teddy Robbin and the Playboys, etc., could rock with the best of them (although their early records were just covers of Elvis Presley, the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, etc.). That was a long time ago, though.

Those 1960s Hong Kong rock 'n roll bands had really good taste in terms of their choices of cover songs, though. The Lotus recorded stuff such as Del Shannon's "Searchin'" and the Beau Brummels' "Just a Little," which were obscure hits even in the U.S.
    What do you think of this?

Playback Part2
    Yokosuka Story (live, starts 4:12)
    I Came From Yokosuka
    Zettai Zetsumei
    Manjushaka
    Rock 'n' Roll Widow

All songs written by Yoko Agi/Ryudo Uzaki for and performed by Momoe Yamaguchi.

Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    If you're used to anglosphere rock, rock from anywhere else is likely to pale in comparison. Do as I do and appreciate the different genres elsewhere. I doubt if I'll find any Asian rock bands that'll compare with the British punk/rock/pop bands which are my main oeuvre. But it doesn't mean I can't appreciate kayokyoku.
    I am actually a fan of Asian rock and metal, esp. Chinese/Mongolian/Siberian stuff. I actually prefer it to most Western bands.
    But Beyond are no Shan Ren, I am afraid...
    That concert I mentioned was a joint performance of Tang Chao, Hei Bao and Wong Ka Keung - and it would have been sooo much better without Wong.
    But I *am* interested in learning more about HK rock scene - it can't all sound like Beyond, or can it...
    别想把黑暗放在我的面前
    太阳已经生长在我心底
    不再有封闭的畏惧
    奔腾的灵魂飞上天际
    太阳 我在这里

What do you think of this?

Playback Part2
    Yokosuka Story (live, starts 4:12)
    I Came From Yokosuka
    Zettai Zetsumei
    Manjushaka
    Rock 'n' Roll Widow

All songs written by Yoko Agi/Ryudo Uzaki for and performed by Momoe Yamaguchi.
    Not bad. Mainstream Japanese pop/rock of the 1970s/early 1980s (much of which sounds like anime soundtrack music of the time), which was highly influential on the rest of East Asian pop during that time period. Japan set the standard for Asian pop/rock during the 1970s and 1980s.

Actually, Japan set the standard for Asian pop culture in general in those days.

Quote Originally Posted by Cesare View Post
    I am actually a fan of Asian rock and metal, esp. Chinese/Mongolian/Siberian stuff. I actually prefer it to most Western bands.
    But Beyond are no Shan Ren, I am afraid...
    That concert I mentioned was a joint performance of Tang Chao, Hei Bao and Wong Ka Keung - and it would have been sooo much better without Wong.
    But I *am* interested in learning more about HK rock scene - it can't all sound like Beyond, or can it...
    Tell me what you think of the links above. I've been obsessed with Momoe's music for a while, which span from semi-conventional rock to pop ballads and some strange jazz bar-type songs, plus at least one which PJ finds startlingly modern. I picked out some rock-style songs by the same songwriting team, but some of my favourites are by other songwriters.

Tell me what you think of the links above. I've been obsessed with Momoe's music for a while, which span from semi-conventional rock to pop ballads and some strange jazz bar-type songs, plus at least one which PJ finds startlingly modern. I picked out some rock-style songs by the same songwriting team, but some of my favourites are by other songwriters.
    Not bad, I guess, but not my cup of tea either...
    This is my cup of tea:
    Jiu pai
    Sanshi nian
    Huli
    Xianliang
    Hei se meng zhong
    or...
    Yi wu suo you

Anything in a similar vein to any of those coming from HK or at least sung in Cantonese?
    别想把黑暗放在我的面前
    太阳已经生长在我心底
    不再有封闭的畏惧
    奔腾的灵魂飞上天际
    太阳 我在这里