Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reign Of Assassins 2010

finally saw the movie...it was really great even if i'm not fond of any of the actresses. the male lead is sooooo sweet. i really enjoyed how he pursued her in his subtle way.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

Quote Originally Posted by patricia n View Post
    just wondering how gory this movie is...and how gory is detective dee?
    Neither movie is gory. But personally I prefer Detective Dee as I loved Li Bing Bing in that role.

I just saw this a week ago. It was excellent. I liked the contrast between the martial arts story and the sweet love story. Even though a lot of the story elements weren't original, they were combined in an interesting and unusual way. The bad guys had interesting reasons for being bad, other than just 'ultimate kung fu power' or something predictable and overused like that.

Michelle Yeoh is awesome. I really like Jung Woo Sung, too. Every time I see him I don't recognize him because he's so good at playing different personalities.
    你看这些云彩,聚了又散,散了又聚,人生离合也是一样。

I loved Jung in Reign of Assassins but I rather hated what he did to Musa (where he was IMHO notch or two below everybody else - though the fact he had to play such an annoying Marty of a Stu probably didn't make it easy for him).
    别想把黑暗放在我的面前
    太阳已经生长在我心底
    不再有封闭的畏惧
    奔腾的灵魂飞上天际
    太阳 我在这里

Quote Originally Posted by Cesare View Post
    A pretentious CTHD clone?
    Meh. I very strongly disagree. The films have some things in common - and they are GOOD things, like Michelle Yeoh and focus on characters - but clones?
    Jianyu is much more of a genre film. And as xiaolong points out, in many respects it resembles genre classics.
    CTHD was not a pure genre film, nor was it trying to be (and unfortunately for CTHD, lots of folks just didn't get it).

But I liked Detective Dee a lot, too. Probably more than Jianyu. Dee is not necessarilly a better film but somehow more endearing. Tsui Hark has that gift of making flawed but very charming flicks.
    Hmm...I'm in a classical Wuxia genre phase...might check this one out.

Tsui Hark!!! Definitely getting into Detective Dee.

So some actually thought CTHD was typical anything?? So strange.

I don't really get all that Barbie Hsu praising. She was OK, but not anywhere near stealing the show, IMHO. And her character was extremely annoying - which wasn't her fault, though. I am just bored to death with this "psychotic *****" type. It's been done over and over and over and over and I find that type of character almost impossible to relate to.
    I came back to check up on spcnet and found this post so amusing. I liked Barbie's character but in no way could I relate to her. I think if I met anyone who could related to a psychotic killer I would run away screaming.

I found her fun but in no way was her character...deep? Same way as I felt for the Magician, what was his motive? he seemingly had none. The character I was most interested in is Shawn Yue's. Here we have a man, whom is happily married and making a living for himself quite nicely. so what was it about his life that forced him into becoming an assassin? or was it because he was an assassin and his wife was the front?

The movie was great to look at but here was no substance to any of the characters. They all seem to back a background but we are never provided with one. Even Jung's character was out of no where, 10 years before he could not fight against them, what happened in the 10years that made him into whom he was now? For all we saw, he had buried his past life with his sword. So how did he become so powerful? To many unanswered questions.
    Currently in love with Bae Suzy...for superficial reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda View Post
    I came back to check up on spcnet and found this post so amusing. I liked Barbie's character but in no way could I relate to her. I think if I met anyone who could related to a psychotic killer I would run away screaming.
    Some psychos are very relatable...:-)
    Trouble is, I didn't even find the character particularly amusing. Compared to the other Dark Stone assassins, she was boring as hell.
    别想把黑暗放在我的面前
    太阳已经生长在我心底
    不再有封闭的畏惧
    奔腾的灵魂飞上天际
    太阳 我在这里

The reveal is hilarious, I try not to describe this movie as it being about a guy who wants his dingdong back, but inevitably that's always what I blurt out. Needless to say not many people decided to follow my recommendation.

Some psychos are very relatable...:-)
    Trouble is, I didn't even find the character particularly amusing. Compared to the other Dark Stone assassins, she was boring as hell.
    care you name a few? I've always been intrigue with psychopath and sociopath, i read up on them as a pass time. Although most come from broken family and have had a 'unsusal' childhood, but I could not relate to how they became who they are. A bad childhood is not enough to create a monster.

that's off topic.

You mentioned the other Dark Stone assassins where more interesting, I don't dissagree, but as I've pointed out, we are never given any of their back ground to feed on so although they had potential, there was nothing else to it. I simply liked her better because out of all the people without character development, she was the most fun to watch.

I would really like to know your take on each of them?

Originally, my personal fave was Magician, for the reason I mentioned earlier in this thread (he's very funky) and because he is multi-class...;-p
    Lei Bin is cool, too. Guys with hidden weapons usually are. And as you mentioned, there is more depth to the character than to the Magician or the...what the psycho's name was?
    And Wheel King was absolutely awesome. With repeated viewing, he made it to the top of my list. Wang Xueqi is oozing charisma all over the place and he nails both the tragic and the comical dimension of the character purrrfectly...:-)
    Barbie's character type just happens to be my pet peeve, I guess. It's been done so many times, in wuxia and elsewhere... I cannot even properly hate such characters, they simply annoy the hell out of me. Maybe if another actress played the role, I'd like the character better, but Barbie's not my type - exterior or acting-wise.

As for relatable psychos - I had fictional ones in mind, real-life psychopaths are an entirely different story.
    Some CAT III killers come to mind. Simon Yam in Dr. Lamb and Ben Ng in Red to Kill in particular... Or the baddies from Azumi movie. Most of the time I wanted the title character and all her friends to just....die... But Sajiki brothers and Bijomaru Mogami I totally adored...:-)
    And I've always had a soft spot for Li Mochou, to name at least one female...:-)
    Last edited by Cesare; 10-21-11 at 04:46 AM.
    别想把黑暗放在我的面前
    太阳已经生长在我心底
    不再有封闭的畏惧
    奔腾的灵魂飞上天际
    太阳 我在这里

Wheel King is by far the best actor in the movie, he moved from one character to the next with so much ease. I had simply thought he wanted to be the best of the best never would I have imagined his goals was so different. The bedroom scene between Wang Xueqi and Barbie Hsu was just fantastic, he was head and shoulders above the rest of them.

As for Barbie's character, I has seen many character's like her, but what stood different for me was she was more psychotic then the rest, while the others still felt 'human' that choose to seduce and kill just to cause mayhem and misery, she, Turquoise?, choose to do what she did because it was simply her, it was part of her being.

The Magician to me had the weakest background and most definitely the most overlooked character, besides being totally feral and kind of maniac, there was not much else, he's motive's and alliance was clear.

off topic.

I was referring to real-life psychopaths, probably one of the reason's why I could relate to characters like Simon Yam's Dr Lamb and Li Mochou is because they don't have the same traits of character real life psycho's have. Even the famed Dexter and American Psycho was the same.

Li Mochou is not a serial killer, she's just one pissed of lady.

Simon Yam's Dr Lamb...I simply liked him because it was Simon Yam, he could do no wrong to me.

As for Li Mochou - a man betrays her and she starts a vendetta against the whole male species and much of the rest of the world.
    She's not a sociopath (though you don't have to be a serial killer to count as one), but I would call her a psycho and she does have some of those tendencies.

Dexter is a somewhat morbid soap for middlebrow housewives. It is a fairly cute series, but that's it.

The one portrayal closest to how I view real-life sociopaths was in Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer - based on Henry Lee Lucas. And that character was freakin' creepy.
    别想把黑暗放在我的面前
    太阳已经生长在我心底
    不再有封闭的畏惧
    奔腾的灵魂飞上天际
    太阳 我在这里

A bad childhood is not enough to create a monster.
    Alice Miller would dispute that (if she was alive that is). Her material definitely would. Also depends on the degree of "bad". I read something yesterday that suggested gestational and/or birth trauma could be linked to disturbed psychological states.

C'mon, no one thought of Dilandau Albatou from Esclaflowne? Now that's one disturbed man-she.

I watched Reign of Assassins some time back. I will like to ask four questions regarding Reign of Assassins.
    1. Since Zeng Jing has changed her face, did she go back to her old house? If so, why is it that the old woman let her use the house? Or I am mistaken, only after changing her face did she find the house to stay?
    2. How/where did she get the gold?
    3. Has her hubby's Ah Sheng kung-fu become better? If so, how?
    4. Why did Wisdome die/choose to die?

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    I watched Reign of Assassins some time back. I will like to ask four questions regarding Reign of Assassins.
    1. Since Zeng Jing has changed her face, did she go back to her old house? If so, why is it that the old woman let her use the house? Or I am mistaken, only after changing her face did she find the house to stay?
    click to show/hide spoilers
    The scenes were shot out of order. Zeng Jing went to the Capital after changing her face. She found the house after she arrived.

2. How/where did she get the gold?
    Probably her reward money from her past services with the Black Rock Society.

3. Has her hubby's Ah Sheng kung-fu become better? If so, how?
    I think his martial arts are pretty much the same from beginning to end. He was pretty good before but he just got ambushed at his father's house by all the assassins. He was the only one who was fighting on his side and he had to protect his weak father so he lost terribly. Then he fought with Drizzle/Zeng Jing on the bridge when he was severely injured. I think Zeng Jing is still stronger than him in a one-on-one fight, but he is better than Lei Bin due to advantages of the weaponry and he beats up bimbo because she is haughty yet lacks combat experience.

4. Why did Wisdom die/choose to die?
    Who is that???
    You mean the monk right? He felt his death was the only way to bring out Drizzle's conscience and guilt to stop her from killing anymore. He loved her during their time together but he was never going to marry her since he was a monk. But by showing her the four stances of how to break the Drizzle Swordplay showed how much he really cared about her safety. He thought her redemption was mroe important than his own life.
    Last edited by charbydis; 12-26-11 at 12:24 AM.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

thanks, charbydis. How do i see the "click to show spoilers" for 1-3?

thanks, charbydis. How do i see the "click to show spoilers" for 1-3?
    Press "Reply with Quote" on my reply and you can view my spoilers in the reply screen. Strange bug in SPCNET that has been unable to fixed for a while.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    Press "Reply with Quote" on my reply and you can view my spoilers in the reply screen. Strange bug in SPCNET that has been unable to fixed for a while.
    Tried but can only see the 4th spoiler.

Wheel King is by far the best actor in the movie, he moved from one character to the next with so much ease. I had simply thought he wanted to be the best of the best never would I have imagined his goals was so different. The bedroom scene between Wang Xueqi and Barbie Hsu was just fantastic, he was head and shoulders above the rest of them.
    I agree. Wang Xueqi is probably my favorite Chinese actor. He was also really good in Sacrifice, the recent film starring Ge You.

Tried but can only see the 4th spoiler.
    I reedited the format. Should be ok now.
    Cyril Connolly