Thread: Is family sometimes the *worst* influence on a person's life?

Default Is family sometimes the *worst* influence on a person's life?

Family. The word...the concept behind it...summons thoughts of an association in which there is an absolute, sancrosanct trust...the one association that an individual can rely on when all other social associations fail. It's supposed to be the one human social institution that is purely altruistic and is beyond corruption, at least in theory.

But is it possible, or even likely, that family is sometimes the *worst* possible influence on an individual? I'm not even talking about the worst case scenarios wherein there's substance abuse, gambling addictions, or domestic violence. I'm just talking about family members consciously or unconsciously "infecting" other family members with their own personal dysfunctions.

Probably, but then again I'm blessed with a very good family (my parents compliment each other, and are responsible towards my brother & I) - and I guess that matters alot.

I tend to think I was a the result of best family I can ever hope to have, and I was all that I was.

I'm not sure if I would still feel that way if I hadn't had any other kind of parents. =\
    o wilku mowa...♪

The only thing I need to know is that I don't know anything.

Very likely. Because one's life is always centred around the family. Even if you move out to stay alone, you will carry along quite a fair bit of values.

YES!

I've got lots of cousins and second cousins who hate me by association. I'm touted as being my mother's daughter although no one bothered to ever get to know me, they just assumed I inherited her temper and penchant for *violence* LoL. In truth, I think my mother is a victim of her circumstances, we don't come from the best or simplest of people [am jealous of LUCRE]...

Frankly, it's petty jealousy. My parents have been together and true to one another for 30 years. In that 30 years together they have amassed an impressive IRA LoL. My brothers while not great successes are not in jail or gang members. Most importantly, I've got a high education, don't mess around , have never been pregnant, and don't involve myself with the antics that other girls may age are likely to get into.

I must confess though I am not particularly interested in my aunties, uncles, and cousins either...this may be an influence from my own parents. Oh, on both sides.

Oh, and with the complicated family structure n all...honestly I'm not excited to pass along my genetic makeup lest I breed more bad blood into this world in the next generation. Can't guarantee they'll be awesome like me LoL! I love kids but won't be having any of my own if I can help it.
    I like me.

Yes, family members will pass on the good and the bad to other family members. Family influence a person the most because they stay longest together and are around during a person's formative years.
    Last edited by kidd; 08-15-10 at 06:55 AM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

family is one of the most influential. good or bad, depends on the family and the individual.

Yes, as the most important part of your life, your upbringing and growing-up, happens with a bunch (whether you like them or not) called your family. To make it worse, those with older siblings, your sibbies could be the ones who inspire you or "dis-spire" you. You know what I mean?
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 08-16-10 at 12:46 AM.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?