Thread: If Kiu Fung had gone south to Dali earlier in DGSD...

Default If Kiu Fung had gone south to Dali earlier in DGSD...

When the whole shindig with Deun Yu, Muk Yeun Ching, Chung Man Sau, the Four Great Evils, Deun Jing Ming, Deun Jing Tsun, the Yellow Eyebrowed Monk, etc., was going down in Dali, Kiu Fung had yet to be even mentioned in DGSD (and wouldn't appear until a bit later). During DGSD, Kiu Fung never wandered anywhere near Dali (his activities were almost exclusively up north).

But imagine if he had (for whatever reason) gone down to Dali during that time. His instincts as a hero would have obliged him to help the Deuns out against the Great Evils. Needless to say, his martial arts were far more than sufficient to defeat the Evils, but I wonder...would Deun Yin Hing still have insisted on a go match with Kiu Fung (a game that Deun should win against Kiu, seeing that Deun was an expert whereas Kiu wasn't known for being a go player, although this being DGSD, Kiu could pull off a Hui Juk-style lucky win), or would Kiu Fung simply have blasted the Evils with Hong Lung 28 Palms and let that be the end of it?

I'm sure QF would recognize the joke of him playing a game of Go and figure out an alternative. And I'm sure that since DYQ knows he is not QF's match in a fight, that he would not have much leverage to force him into a game.

Quote Originally Posted by ChanceEncounter View Post
    I'm sure QF would recognize the joke of him playing a game of Go and figure out an alternative. And I'm sure that since DYQ knows he is not QF's match in a fight, that he would not have much leverage to force him into a game.
    Kiu Fung would probably agree to the go game and even let Deun Yin Hing make the first move, but when it's Kiu Fung's turn, he'd likely win by immolating the go table.

You have to remember that initially it was DZM that confronted DYQ who was standing guard. The two made a few moves and DZM was able to accurately gauge their respective levels. Since DZM's 1YZ was a notch inferior, and he could only win by exploiting DYQ's handicap, he was not able to rescue DY.

If DZM was as good as XF, he could have simply smacked DYQ out of the way and saved the day right then and there.

Quote Originally Posted by ChanceEncounter View Post
    You have to remember that initially it was DZM that confronted DYQ who was standing guard. The two made a few moves and DZM was able to accurately gauge their respective levels. Since DZM's 1YZ was a notch inferior, and he could only win by exploiting DYQ's handicap, he was not able to rescue DY.

If DZM was as good as XF, he could have simply smacked DYQ out of the way and saved the day right then and there.
    I thought that Deun Jing Ming and Deun Yin Hing's 1 Yeung Finger levels were about equal (with Yin Hing maybe being very slightly better), but Jing Ming being fully mobile while Yin Hing was a cripple, Jing Ming *could* have won...but was unwilling to go all-out against Yin Hing for political/familial reasons (one member of the Deun Royal Family shouldn't kill/harm another).

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    I thought that Deun Jing Ming and Deun Yin Hing's 1 Yeung Finger levels were about equal (with Yin Hing maybe being very slightly better), but Jing Ming being fully mobile while Yin Hing was a cripple, Jing Ming *could* have won...but was unwilling to go all-out against Yin Hing for political/familial reasons (one member of the Deun Royal Family shouldn't kill/harm another).
    Yes. DYQ's 1YZ was marginally better, but in an actual fight, DZM would have won on account of him having the use of his legs. It would have been close, though, and it was not in their best interest to fight. However, they were content not to fight each other, in part because DZM could not harm a fellow member of the royal family.

Only then did he ask for the yellow monk's help, and only then did they instigate a game of Go to decide if DY could be released.

Now, naturally, if it was XF instead of DZM, he's much more likely to simply blast DYQ away from the door. He's not honorbound against harming DYQ, and he's not only some fraction better, so he would not have needed to posture beforehand.