Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: China's male-to-female ratio declines for first time

Default China's male-to-female ratio declines for first time

http://english.people.com.cn/90001/9...2/7012887.html
    China's male-to-female ratio declines for first time

China's male-to-female ratio at birth declined in 2009 for the first time, said Li Bin, director of China's National Population and Family Planning Commission, on June 2.

In 2009, China's male-to-female at birth stood at 119.45, a drop of 1.11 points from 2008, Li said.

From the comprehensive situation, the high growth momentum of the sex ratio at birth has started to curb, Li said at a conference for the national "Care for Girls" campaign and comprehensive management of gender imbalance in babies. Statistics show the sex ratio at birth is in a trend of decline in 14 provinces, with some provinces witnessing a considerable drop.

China has maintained a high male-to-female ratio at birth since the 1980s, and stood at 116.9 in 2000 and 119 in 2005. The sex ratio even reached the 130 mark in some provinces in 2005, seriously deviating from the normal level of 103 to 107.
    Good news for the lonely men in China who want to get married

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    http://english.people.com.cn/90001/9...2/7012887.html

Good news for the lonely men in China who want to get married
    You are just as lonely... and the good news is that you don't get the candy.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

I'm sorry, I don't understand statistics or numbers unless someone explains them slowly and clearly to me without using and numbers at all.

What does this article mean? What is that 119.4 number? Is that the number of higher male birth rates in comparisons to females? Is the 1.11 drop such a great number when taking into consideration the HUGE population of China? Is it actually a significant improvement or is it significant because it's CHINA? Somebody smarter please explain in laymen's terms.

That's great that the number is declining [they brought it upon themselves], but as far as improving the life of lonely single men...well, that has yet to be seen. After all, these female babies still have to grow and mature into Chinese women...what if they don't want Chinese men? This is not like Pokemon here...you can't just throw a Poke ball at a girl's head and hope to confine her in there until she submits LoL however much you want to.
    I like me.

119.4 means the birth ratio of male:female in china was 119.4:100 (119.4 boys for every 100 girls) in 2009. It's lower than 2008 by 1.11 means in 2008 the ratio was 120.5:100.

The ratio has been increasing since the introduction of One Child Policy so the journalists have something to write about. 119.4:100 still pretty high given the normal ratio should be about 103-107 boys to 100 girls.

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    You are just as lonely... and the good news is that you don't get the candy.
    are you not???
    If I remember correctly, you mentioned that you are also single. Perhaps we could be a perfect pair

Can you understand Teochew language?? People told me that most Singaporean understand it.
    If so, these are great songs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezNxkbDNyTk
    http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/EweRpWjb1zw/

Enjoy....

are you not???
    If I remember correctly, you mentioned that you are also single. Perhaps we could be a perfect pair

Can you understand Teochew language?? People told me that most Singaporean understand it.
    If so, these are great songs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezNxkbDNyTk
    http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/EweRpWjb1zw/

Enjoy....
    Is that a love confession? I BELIEVE IT IS!

Thank you for the explanation. I see the number has improved by a teensy bit. I guess the real improvement is that if the decline becomes a trend, then one day the birth ratio will eventually normalize to something closer to whatever is considered normal by the rest of the world.
    I like me.

119.4 means the birth ratio of male:female in china was 119.4:100 (119.4 boys for every 100 girls) in 2009. It's lower than 2008 by 1.11 means in 2008 the ratio was 120.5:100.

The ratio has been increasing since the introduction of One Child Policy so the journalists have something to write about. 119.4:100 still pretty high given the normal ratio should be about 103-107 boys to 100 girls.
    In the US,there isn't a shortage both male and female,although female ratio is alittle higher than male.Check it here:https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...geos/us.html.I am guessing the Chinese females are looking for foreigners.
    Check out: http://samthetypist.spaces.live.com/ ; Currently under construction;Check out http://www.soundclick.com/spcnet07 , provided by Sugar.

Quote Originally Posted by mind_wander View Post
    In the US,there isn't a shortage both male and female,although female ratio is alittle higher than male.Check it here:https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat.../geos/us.html. I am guessing the Chinese females are looking for foreigners.
    This is so true as there are lot young and decent/good looking Chinese females are looking for foreign relationship online. They often end up with much older men (mostly white men). I doubt they have any difficulty finding local men around their age. The Chinese government so far did nothing to prevent young Chinese females from having relationship with older foreign men. The government neither shut down those websites nor outlaw such practice.

This is so true as there are lot young and decent/good looking Chinese females are looking for foreign relationship online. They often end up with much older men (mostly white men). I doubt they have any difficulty finding local men around their age. The Chinese government so far did nothing to prevent young Chinese females from having relationship with older foreign men. The government neither shut down those websites nor outlaw such practice.
    Why should they? If those women want to date non-Chinese people, it is their choice. The government has no right to interfere with people's dating and relationships choices.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

Tis' true. Maybe those young women are searching for men who they think may provide better financial support for them and their families. We cannot judge them for wanting to do so. After all, it's not our a$$ that's living in a developing country. They are watching out for their own.

Maybe the local young men aren't that great either. I know the Khmer girls in Cambodia do not look favorably upon the young men in their own country. For men over there [and probably every other country like China], it's normal to have a wife who stays at home and then a few girlfriends on the side to take out.

Would you not want the possibility to move beyond that fate if you could?

And like xJadedx said, it's their own personal business. Two years ago Cambodia put a ban on the registry of local brides with overseas men for fear of trafficking...that didn't last very long from the overwhelming protest of the local people, residing foreign community, and international community. Really dumb...anything to extort money from people I swear.
    I like me.

Quote Originally Posted by ByTmE View Post
    Two years ago Cambodia put a ban on the registry of local brides with overseas men for fear of trafficking...that didn't last very long from the overwhelming protest of the local people, residing foreign community, and international community. Really dumb...anything to extort money from people I swear.
    The other way round is sad too. Those women are put up in display areas as if they are PRODUCTS.

If the Cambodian government means to stop it, then buck up and stamp out poverty as much as possible.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

The other way round is sad too. Those women are put up in display areas as if they are PRODUCTS.

If the Cambodian government means to stop it, then buck up and stamp out poverty as much as possible.
    Their too busy livin' in it up... think it was like some time ago but it was estimated Cambodia loses like $300 million to $500 million USD annually due to various forms of corruption.

...so yea...stamping out poverty is just not high on the agenda much haha.
    I like me.

The government can help, but it can't "stamp out" poverty. That has never been government's job, and government has never been good at doing it (see pretty much every Communist nation for reference).

Fighting poverty is ultimately the work of the ordinary people of a country...through the work they do. Government's main role in this is to make sure everybody plays fair. Beyond that, however, government's role is very limited.

That's because I doubt the number of Chinese women who end up marrying foreigner is significant enough to cause any sort of demographic issues in the future. I mean, China is not exactly famous for the mail-order bride business, unlike few other countries.

The single men on the other hand could potentially cause issues due to the sheer numbers (20 million I believe). Single men tends to be more prone to risk taking behavior, like crime.

And if those men import wives from other countries (the far more likely scenario), it just increase the over population problem, especially as China gets richer and richer and more and more people looking to immigrate to China.
    Last edited by Dimeron; 07-07-10 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ByTmE View Post
    Maybe the local young men aren't that great either. I know the Khmer girls in Cambodia do not look favorably upon the young men in their own country. For men over there [and probably every other country like China], it's normal to have a wife who stays at home and then a few girlfriends on the side to take out.
    What??? Chinese women are willing to be mistresses? Chinese men are capable of cheating on their wife??? Isn't that is one of the vice for doing so and against their confucian values?

Yes, I agree.

How??? Unless they have another Marxist leader like Pol Pot.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimeron View Post
    The single men on the other hand could potentially cause issues due to the sheer numbers (20 million I believe). Single men tends to be more prone to risk taking behavior, like crime.
    I don't agree with it. People can be single and happy.

And if those men import wives from other countries (the far more likely scenario), it just increase the over population problem, especially as China gets richer and richer and more and more people looking to immigrate to China.
    China is overrated. I don't think anyone want to immigrate to china. I don't think I will ever want to leave Canada for China, not once in a million years.

I don't agree with it. People can be single and happy.
    Even when sexually frustrated? It is also about risk taking behaviors. Single men with no wife and kids tends to be more Rash when it comes to decision making.

China is overrated. I don't think anyone want to immigrate to china. I don't think I will ever want to leave Canada for China, not once in a million years.
    How very west centric. OECD != the world. Most OECD citizens probably wouldn't find China that attractive right now or in the future. But can the same be said for people from Africa, or Vietnam, or Russia/Ukraine, or Cambodia?

Even when sexually frustrated? It is also about risk taking behaviors. Single men with no wife and kids tends to be more Rash when it comes to decision making.
    There are plenty of singles in Canada/USA and they are doing fine. I myself is single and I don't think I am a threat to anybody. Many professors at the university where I attended are single for all their lives, never had any relationship, and I don't think they are a threat to anyone. The vast vast majority of criminals committing crime not due to lack of relationship. Please watch the show "The First 48", you will see what I am talking about.

How very west centric. OECD != the world. Most OECD citizens probably wouldn't find China that attractive right now or in the future. But can the same be said for people from Africa, or Vietnam, or Russia/Ukraine, or Cambodia?
    People from Africa, VietNam, Russia/Ukraine, Cambodia, ect... wants to immigrate to countries like US/Canada/Australia. Not China. Perhaps I can't speak for all of them, but for people from VietNam, they want to immigrate to US/Canada/Australia, definitely not China.

What??? Chinese women are willing to be mistresses? Chinese men are capable of cheating on their wife??? Isn't that is one of the vice for doing so and against their confucian values?
    I hope your joking because I really can't tell.

Well I can only speak of the last one. My uncle let his daughter marry some Chinese guy from the boonies rather than a nice rich cultured Cambodian guy for chances of emigration. I kind of think that's silly, but this also has to do with the prejudice of Chinese Cambodians over ethnic Cambodians. That guy initally wanted their children to be exclusively Chinese educated but this didn't fly too well with the overwhelming protests of people in the family. Myself included. I look even more Chinese than either of his children do! [they take after their mother..thank god] He's forgetting that he had to go to Cambodia to make dollars because he couldn't find an appropriate market for his expertise in China. Some people forget so easily...

Probably because the standard of living is so low for developing countries so the young men and women are going to find ways to succeed even if that means leaving their native countries. It's just survival. For the women who marry foreigners in China, then the Chinese men will just import wives from other countries like they are doing already...and in Korea too. Importing of wives is also starting to become popular in Japan because the young women do not want or have to marry.
    I like me.

Well, with their growing wealth, Chinese men could always try to get mail order brides from somewhere.

There are plenty of singles in Canada/USA and they are doing fine. I myself is single and I don't think I am a threat to anybody. Many professors at the university where I attended are single for all their lives, never had any relationship, and I don't think they are a threat to anyone. The vast vast majority of criminals committing crime not due to lack of relationship. Please watch the show "The First 48", you will see what I am talking about.
    How many of them had short term relationships, or had one night stands. How many of them are are single because of choice instead because they can't find a date? What are the economic situation with those men? or education? I imagine most of them are at least above poverty level.

There is vast difference between choosing to be single because you like the freedom or your standard is too high, and forced to be single because no girls will even consider you due to your poverty.

When you are poor, have no marriage prospect, sexually frustrated (remember, it is China, sexual liberty is not same as here), very little education, then add the fact there are 20 million of them, its a recipe for potential disaster.

This guys explains some of the potential issues that will arise.
    http://www.carnegieendowment.org/pub...=view&id=19652

People from Africa, VietNam, Russia/Ukraine, Cambodia, ect... wants to immigrate to countries like US/Canada/Australia. Not China. Perhaps I can't speak for all of them, but for people from VietNam, they want to immigrate to US/Canada/Australia, definitely not China.
    Of course, one does not exclude the other, but not everyone can get into US/Canada/Australia/Japan, or have the opportunity, or want to due to economic/cultural/politics/whatever other reasons.

This is like saying because everyone prefers Harvard/Princeton/Yale/MIT, other Universities will have no students.

It simply means China will become a more desirable place to immigrate too. 30 years ago, China would be like the local community college with a bad rep, but in a few years they could be like Virgina tech, it might not be MIT, but for those who can't get into MIT it is a good alternative.
    Last edited by Dimeron; 07-08-10 at 03:55 PM.