Thread: Under the Sword of Damocles - Dealing with layoffs.

Cool Under the Sword of Damocles - Dealing with layoffs.

Wondering how other members have dealt with impending layoffs or layoffs, both survivors and victims. Working in the current economic environment, most people have either been a victim of layoffs or know someone that is laid off.

Personally, I dealt with laid-offs when my firm went belly up about a year ago. It was really more of a good than a bad because the working environment was toxic. The coworkers and the job was great, but my boss was a nightmare. (His desire to pit his employees against each other to improve productivity did not score him any points.)

So I wasn't upset that I didn't need to show up to work on Monday. Nor did I feel incompetent because the whole firm went belly up. Nonetheless there was a period of anxiety and insecurity about not having a full-time position. But as time went on, I started enjoying this free time - funemployment.

Others have criticized that funemployment is the epitome of entitlement and lack or responsibility and lamented about the previous hard working eras. But for someone that doesn't have dependents, a spouse, and a mortgage - isn't funemployment merely making the best of a bad situation? (Or is generation me a lazy, narcissistic and and entitled bunch?)

What are your thoughts and experiences with working under the sword of damocles, unemployment, and funemployment?

Funemployment tends to be less fun when you have to worry about things like medical and dental insurance. Back in July 2001 when I was laid off from my first job, I initially thought that it would be a great time to hit the beach, and take it easy for a few weeks while I collect unemployment. Then I realized my medical insurance was gone, and I would be rather vulnerable financially if I broke a leg or something. This was an especially stressful period because I bought my first condo a month before being laid off.

As for the "having a sword hanging over your head" kind of feeling when the writing on the wall is so evident that layoff are imminent, the best solution there is to be proactive and start looking for a new job ASAP. It's usually easier to find another job while you are still employed. This is probably due to a number of factors. You seem less desperate and perhaps more attractive if you're proactive as opposed to reactive. Also by interviewing with other companies you can discover where you're strong and where you are weak. If you're still employed you may even be able to shore up your weaknesses by changing your focus at work.
    HK47: Now do you understand the travails of my existence master? Surely it does not compare to your existence but still...
    You: I survive somehow
    HK47: As do I. It is our lot in life I suppose master. Shall we find something to kill to cheer ourselves up?

-KotOR

For me it is more like funemployment. No major bills to worry about. But the fun doesn't last long. Little by little the money in my bank account starts to dwindle. Some friends hired me to work around their house, mowing lawn, fixing appliances, etc. I know they don't really need me but they're just trying to help out. Now seems to be the opportune time to go back to school but I don't know if I really should.

Quote Originally Posted by dictionary View Post
    For me it is more like funemployment. No major bills to worry about. But the fun doesn't last long. Little by little the money in my bank account starts to dwindle. Some friends hired me to work around their house, mowing lawn, fixing appliances, etc. I know they don't really need me but they're just trying to help out. Now seems to be the opportune time to go back to school but I don't know if I really should.
    Are you going for a masters or finishing up undergrad?
    HK47: Now do you understand the travails of my existence master? Surely it does not compare to your existence but still...
    You: I survive somehow
    HK47: As do I. It is our lot in life I suppose master. Shall we find something to kill to cheer ourselves up?

-KotOR

Quote Originally Posted by darkcser View Post
    Are you going for a masters or finishing up undergrad?
    Masters.

Too bad I don't live in Boston or have knowledge of computer/application development, I would've tried to get an interview at your company. Some of the companies near my house are also hiring for similar position.

I survived a potential layoff recently. The IT department was laying off 40% of its workforce over the last few months. My job was eliminated, and I had to reapply to other positions. I was definitely stressed out until I knew I had a job.

However, regardless of the outcome, I did see it as an opportunity to reinvent myself. If I was laid off, I would try something new with my life, learn new skills, and do some things that I always wanted to do (such as volunteering in a 3rd world country). If I still had a job, it would be a different environment and different supervisor, and I was determined to try new ways of doing things. It's important to see the positive side of things.

I find that in difficult situations like these, having a support group is so important. Although I had backup plans, I nevertheless felt weak during this turbulent time. I reached out to friends, mentors, and family for advice and consolation. It would have been much harder to endure it by myself.

In such a tough time, the best thing we can do is stick together and share empathy.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    I survived a potential layoff recently. The IT department was laying off 40% of its workforce over the last few months. My job was eliminated, and I had to reapply to other positions. I was definitely stressed out until I knew I had a job.

However, regardless of the outcome, I did see it as an opportunity to reinvent myself. If I was laid off, I would try something new with my life, learn new skills, and do some things that I always wanted to do (such as volunteering in a 3rd world country). If I still had a job, it would be a different environment and different supervisor, and I was determined to try new ways of doing things. It's important to see the positive side of things.

I find that in difficult situations like these, having a support group is so important. Although I had backup plans, I nevertheless felt weak during this turbulent time. I reached out to friends, mentors, and family for advice and consolation. It would have been much harder to endure it by myself.

In such a tough time, the best thing we can do is stick together and share empathy.
    I'm glad to hear that you've secured a job despite the changes, PJ. I wish you all the best. May you find even more pleasure and positive challenges in this switch.

I've layed myself off my current job as it is necessary, so as to progress to full time animation studies. Get paid while studying. I have kind of secured a partime job after meeting an old friend for lunch last friday. Given the bits of monthly allowance, it's not sufficient. Life, is going to be more challenging but it's ok because it is what I want. Even if life is at ease, I don't want to work in as "Mighty Mouse" all of my life. Their numerous offer of increment (if I stayed on) cannot change my mind. It's time to do what I have to do, and I'm ready to hold the bull by the horns!
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 08-30-10 at 01:43 PM.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?