Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Filipino Contestant Isn't Allowed in This Year's Miss Asia Pageant

Default Filipino Contestant Isn't Allowed in This Year's Miss Asia Pageant

Filipino Contestant Isn't Allowed in This Year's Miss Asia Pageant

The 2010 Miss Asia Pageant (ATV) will be held at the end of this November in Hong Kong. This year's rule is resumed to the old one in 2007, allowing Chinese in various places to participate. However, because of the hostage crisis happened earlier in Philippine, it's known the organization decided to not invite Filipino contestant to participate in this year's pageant to prevent deepen the grudge between Hong Kong and Philippine. The organization also disclosed they worried if Filipino contestant comes to HK, they would be discriminated by others and thus affecting their mood during the competition. So they decided after holding a meeting that this year they won't invite Philippine representatives to compete.

ATV's PR spokesman confirmed the news on the phone: "To prevent Filipino contestant feeling embarrassed after coming to HK, so they won't be invited to compete in this pageant. Hong Kongers are still sad about this tragedy. In order to prevent Hong Kongers feeling embarrassed, this action doesn't count as an abuse of power. We're not discriminating Filipinos. We are considering their feelings, don't want them to get hurt emotionally."

[COLOR=#660000]Source: Oriental Daily / Translation: KAY @ Kay's Entertainment

The Link
    http://kays-entertainment.blogspot.c...llowed-in.html

Shall Philippines invited to contest in Miss Asian ,i think they shall invited ,why not ,will Hong Kong allow North Korea , Iran or Pakistan to contest if this incident happen in Iran or Pakistan ,i think they will allowed since Iran or Pakistan was China close ally, China and Hong Kong don't protest anything when thousand of Chinese was killed in Indonesia in 1998 ,do you think so ?
    Last edited by galvatron; 08-29-10 at 10:01 PM.

China and Hong Kong don't protest anything when thousand of Chinese was killed in Indonesia in 1998
    Those were Indonesian Chinese, if I remember correctly. That probably makes the whole difference.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by galvatron View Post
    ATV's PR spokesman confirmed the news on the phone: "To prevent Filipino contestant feeling embarrassed after coming to HK, so they won't be invited to compete in this pageant. Hong Kongers are still sad about this tragedy. In order to prevent Hong Kongers feeling embarrassed, this action doesn't count as an abuse of power. We're not discriminating Filipinos. We are considering their feelings, don't want them to get hurt emotionally."
    Oh. I wonder if they asked the Philippines first and the contestant if they think that this is a good idea? Why would HKers feel embarrassed? That's the incorrect adjective. Certainly the presence of a Filipino candidate in HK and on television might prove to be contentious for some...but is this really necessary? I wonder if having a Filipino candidate might actually work to smoothen the tension between the two countries...but it seems like any attempt is going to be nipped in the bud.

Wait...wouldn't the contestant be a Chinese Filipino...so...OMG I don't get it. Wait...wait...
    This year's rule is resumed to the old one in 2007, allowing Chinese in various places to participate.
    ah ok...so they are not inviting the Chinese candidate that represents the Philippines.

...I'm just going to stop trying to understand this whole situation.
    I like me.

this is just being juvenile. obviously the whole hostage situation had nothing to do with the people but mainly the government.

yes - there were a few idiots taking unpleasant photos but penalizing the entire country is being quite immature.
    Hatred is a curve blade. The harm we do to others, we also do to ourselves.

i tell you, some ppl argue for the sake of arguing.

Quote Originally Posted by pandamao View Post
    this is just being juvenile. obviously the whole hostage situation had nothing to do with the people but mainly the government.

yes - there were a few idiots taking unpleasant photos but penalizing the entire country is being quite immature.
    It's totally unfair...that much is true, but the danger is real. I'd be worried about the safety of the Filipino contestant if the venue of the competition is Hong Kong because you know that plenty of people aren't going to be in a calm and reasonable mood. Enough people have been hurt already; we don't need one more.

The only other option is the move the contest to a neutral venue (say Singapore), but that might not be logistically feasible at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    It's totally unfair...that much is true, but the danger is real. I'd be worried about the safety of the Filipino contestant if the venue of the competition is Hong Kong because you know that plenty of people aren't going to be in a calm and reasonable mood. Enough people have been hurt already; we don't need one more.

The only other option is the move the contest to a neutral venue (say Singapore), but that might not be logistically feasible at this point.
    i agree with your interpretation but the title of this article clearly is misleading. "not allowed" is such a forceful phrase. i wouldn't be as offended if other word choices were used.

regardless - if people in hong kong also cannot control their temper and emotions, then they are just as juvenile.

am i just being cruel? i don't see what the big deal with this whole situation is.
    Hatred is a curve blade. The harm we do to others, we also do to ourselves.

i tell you, some ppl argue for the sake of arguing.

Quote Originally Posted by pandamao View Post

regardless - if people in hong kong also cannot control their temper and emotions, then they are just as juvenile.
    Well, the thing is, people died, and they didn't have to. Emotions are going to be raw for a while. Right now isn't the time to tell these people that they're wrong (even if they are). The practical thing to do is keep those they might want to harm out of their reach.

The rights and wrongs of it can be sorted out later when everybody is in a calmer state of mind.

Well, the thing is, people died, and they didn't have to. Emotions are going to be raw for a while. Right now isn't the time to tell these people that they're wrong (even if they are). The practical thing to do is keep those they might want to harm out of their reach.

The rights and wrongs of it can be sorted out later when everybody is in a calmer state of mind.
    I agree. And it's only natural. The Flips better be glad that they've been saved from potential tomato attacks from HKers. HKers, to my knowledge, have aggressive nature. It only means that they're no sitting ducks.

Such emotional rage reminds me of the incident, when a prominent female celebrity (was it Madonna?) said "It's Karma." to China during a critical time. Most Chinese feel the pinch; they feel insulted. Does people only feel the hurt when the pain gets closer?
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 08-30-10 at 01:05 AM.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

They should ban the Thai contestant too. Never know if she used to be a dude.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

True that yo...I've just about given up on asking people to see the rational side. In truth, it's understandable, after all I can't understand what they're going through...so naturally I can still be rational.

HKers, to my knowledge, have aggressive nature. It only means that they're no sitting ducks.
    Oh Ceddy, you know, that I'm being told this very instant that there exists absolutely NO corruption in HK, the HK people do not discriminate in anyway towards the Filipino population in their country [pre incident], the government of HK is infallible...oh and Jackie Chan needs to STFU because he's stupid and cannot make informed decisions because he lacks a formal education...

Dude, I understand that y'all are hurt, betrayed, and bereft...but really? REALLY?

After my trim, I don't really have much hair left on my head...but I'm really tempted to pull all of it out. Excuse me, while I withdraw back into my mind because this incident has yet again reminded me of how much I don't understand my fellow Earth inhabiters.

Post Script: I've decided to go to graduate school for Peace Education.
    I like me.

Quote Originally Posted by ByTmE View Post
    Oh Ceddy, you know, that I'm being told this very instant that there exists absolutely NO corruption in HK, the HK people do not discriminate in anyway towards the Filipino population in their country [pre incident], the government of HK is infallible...oh and Jackie Chan needs to STFU because he's stupid and cannot make informed decisions because he lacks a formal education...

Dude, I understand that y'all are hurt, betrayed, and bereft...but really? REALLY?

After my trim, I don't really have much hair left on my head...but I'm really tempted to pull all of it out. Excuse me, while I withdraw back into my mind because this incident has yet again reminded me of how much I don't understand my fellow Earth inhabiters.

Post Script: I've decided to go to graduate school for Peace Education.
    Absolutely NO corruption in HK - Buddy, whoever told you that, is a liar

the HK people do not discriminate in anyway towards the Filipino population - Maybe this is untrue, I don't know..... $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/32.gif')$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/65.gif')

At the time of reading the news about Jackie and his remarks, I do feel that he is very zen. I don't think he deserves thrashing from the people, especially those personal attacks. Whether he has in-depth knowledge of the incident to make that remark, only he knows. $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/5.gif')
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    Such emotional rage reminds me of the incident, when a prominent female celebrity (was it Madonna?) said "It's Karma." to China during a critical time. Most Chinese feel the pinch; they feel insulted. Does people only feel the hurt when the pain gets closer?
    I think it was Sharon Stone about the Sichuan earthquake...she said the natural disaster could be interpreted as karma for China because of the country's treatment of Tibet and the Dali Lama. I'm not sure why someone would be compelled to say such a thought out loud...I mean, you can think it...but saying it loud? It's all good and dandy to exercise one's freedom of speech..but common sense ought to be a part of the package too.
    I like me.

Quote Originally Posted by ByTmE View Post
    I think it was Sharon Stone about the Sichuan earthquake...she said the natural disaster could be interpreted as karma for China because of the country's treatment of Tibet and the Dali Lama. I'm not sure why someone would be compelled to say such a thought out loud...I mean, you can think it...but saying it loud? It's all good and dandy to exercise one's freedom of speech..but common sense ought to be a part of the package too.
    Yepp, it's SS! You have a better memory than I do

I think she said Karma according to Buddhist believe? As in, you mistreat someone, you get it one way or another. Besides, the time of the events were so close to each other (as sequentially, "treatment" following the earthquake) so it's hard to not link from one to the other. Maybe she felt heartedly for the Tibetans that she wanted to "bring it to the attention" of China, that probably explain why common sense isn't important anymore.

Who knows, it may have crossed her mind that Chinese and other Asians are going to show her their middle fingers; her popularity (among the Chinese) is at stake. Nevertheless, the injustice she'd felt for the Tibetans had outweighed her concern of her own popularity. (That's my analysis)

You can say the HK people are juvenile and it's all unfair. But, the fact still remains that the HK people are still very distraught about this issue and very emotional. When people are emotional you can't expect them to be reasonable. The danger for the Filipino contestant will be there. There are cases of Filipino workers being fired after the case.

I think ATV made a wise decision. What's the point of inviting the Philipino contestant to HK when the HK people are still angry with the country as a whole?

I agree with Ken on this issue.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

I don't know exactly what the Philippines president said, but according to my dad what he said was in very poor taste as well (not wrong, but not something you say to people who are hurt, angry and grieving), and kind of strained diplomatic relations. I don't think people will necessarily attack a Filipino contestant, but she's not going to have very comfortable questions, and unlikely to have a prayer at winning.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    I don't know exactly what the Philippines president said, but according to my dad what he said was in very poor taste as well (not wrong, but not something you say to people who are hurt, angry and grieving), and kind of strained diplomatic relations. I don't think people will necessarily attack a Filipino contestant, but she's not going to have very comfortable questions, and unlikely to have a prayer at winning.
    Maybe not in the contest, but outside. As we consider that many infamous acts from their fellow Flips after the incident itself.

I find the attitude of Hong Kongers in this matter very childish and embarrassing. You get mad at people who purposely attack you, not generalize a whole population because of the incompetence of one organization.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

well, they are the host, they can don't invite anyone if they wish. hosting a program does not entails an obligation to any community in the first place; the only main issue is 'when doing a-typical' choices, it risks offending people. so if filipinos are offended, then the organising party has chose to taken the risk about their offence. they probably did a run-down of risk-analysis, and weighing out which risks has higher potential of damage incurred.

their conclusion is, filippinos being offended is less dangerous than them getting killed in HK. (then remembering that both incidents are only 'risks' and not a proven track-record, it means it doesnt naturally comes true; so the organisers might have rated the occurance possibility, and calculated before their decision)

at least lets just give them the benefit of the doubt they were 'that thoughtful'.
    o wilku mowa...♪

The only thing I need to know is that I don't know anything.

Apart from the possible attacks outside or inside the grounds where the pageant held, it's not difficult to visualize how the Flip contestant will be embarrassed if the host still takes her in. Can the contestant herself not feel awkward the least bit, which that will affect her performance?

Well, maybe she really won't (feel awkward). $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/34.gif')

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    Apart from the possible attacks outside or inside the grounds where the pageant held, it's not difficult to visualize how the Flip contestant will be embarrassed if the host still takes her in. Can the contestant herself not feel awkward the least bit, which that will affect her performance?

Well, maybe she really won't (feel awkward). $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/34.gif')
    thats really strange, why should she be 'embarrassed'? you made it sound like she should feel responsible for something done by someone else whom she most likely isn't related to nor acquainted with, but simply happened to shared the same nationality, she must automatically be burdened with the same guilt?

Next, you don't even know this 'potential filippino contestant' and you're already sneering at her possible 'lack of sense of shame' because you have passed judgement on her due to her nationality.
    o wilku mowa...♪

The only thing I need to know is that I don't know anything.