Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: High paycheck, dull job OR sucky wages, exciting job?

Default High paycheck, dull job OR sucky wages, exciting job?

Most would probably preferred a trade off somewhere, but just wondering, which would you pick?

A very fat paycheck for a dull job, something you'll find it meaningless to do but that the fat paycheck is your primary motivation.

OR

You get to do something you like very much, but the wages they offered barely meet ends meet. Good for survival, but not much more.
    o wilku mowa...♪

The only thing I need to know is that I don't know anything.

It depends on my needs. If I need "money", then the high paycheck. I can find life after doing the dull job everyday.

Depends on what I feel like. Even with a dull job, so long as it doesn't demand too much from me. In my spare time I can still have a hell of an adventure. In this regard, I admire PJ, I don't know about his job, but dude is living it up. And that is an example to follow.

Moreover, I'm more concerned about what a job demands from me. In terms of time, ability and stress.

This is an exceedingly tough decision, but with my current life choices...I have already picked the second: doing what I want to do in life with just about enough to survive. It's impractical and I would never advise anyone else to do it if they have to support themselves, their families, or simply are more pragmatic human beings.

In your scenario though, the second seems worse off to be in than the first. IMHO, I would actually do something that I found meaningless if it was fun too [like great coworkers but the actual job sucks], but if it was meaningless, and BORING, and made me miserable...I'd run far far away.
    I like me.

Depends on the hours of the jobs. If it's a regular job, then I'd prefer soemthing I actualy enjoy, since it takes up a third of my day. I can always make extra money on the side.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

Certainly highpay but dull job ... because I'm having a dull and low pay at the moment!

Will the boring job have internet access? If yes, and I get a good table position, I might be able to tolerate it. I'm just not sure how long... :\
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Lucre View Post
    Most would probably preferred a trade off somewhere, but just wondering, which would you pick?

A very fat paycheck for a dull job, something you'll find it meaningless to do but that the fat paycheck is your primary motivation.

OR

You get to do something you like very much, but the wages they offered barely meet ends meet. Good for survival, but not much more.
    For now, I would go for the second choice. I am single and my expense is low so I don't need all that much money right now. I prefer simple and easy life. As an in-home private math tutor, it pretty much fit in the second choice. I just make enough to survive, but I love the job. I enjoy helping students learning math.

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    Will the boring job have internet access? If yes, and I get a good table position, I might be able to tolerate it. I'm just not sure how long... :\
    Typically, high paying jobs require you to do a lot of things that you don't like to do. You won't have the time for the internet.
    Last edited by Trien Chieu; 09-06-10 at 12:28 AM.

Depends on how high the high paycheck is compared to the sucky waged job.
    If it means I can retire before 40, then high paycheck boring job it is. If it means 10-20k a year extra, then I'd rather go for the interesting job.

Depends how much I need the money, but I'd probably go for the sucky wages but exciting job. I can't get myself to show up to a place that I hate and do the same useless stuff everyday even if I make so much. I'd hate my life so much especially if the place is strict and boring.

well its supposed to be dull, think of the stuff you definitely definitely wouldn't wanna do. and theres no way out of it. If you can have the spare time to do other stuff, then your job isn't define as hellishly dull and uninteresting.

Meaning, you sold your time entirely for $$$.
    o wilku mowa...♪

The only thing I need to know is that I don't know anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucre View Post
    well its supposed to be dull, think of the stuff you definitely definitely wouldn't wanna do. and theres no way out of it. If you can have the spare time to do other stuff, then your job isn't define as hellishly dull and uninteresting.

Meaning, you sold your time entirely for $$$.
    Then no. Time is going to crawl and that isn't good.

Quote Originally Posted by KeongJai View Post
    Depends on how high the high paycheck is compared to the sucky waged job.
    If it means I can retire before 40, then high paycheck boring job it is. If it means 10-20k a year extra, then I'd rather go for the interesting job.
    Let say the net income of the low paying job is 70% as high as the high paying job. In addition, the low paying job should be just enough to get by because if the low paying job is too high, then the difference wouldn't be matter. The net income should be as follow:

1. $3000/month for stressful high paying job.
    2. $2100/month for interesting low paying job.

The $900/month extra in net income can make a huge huge difference. It's enough for monthly car payment + insurance + cell phone + possible more.

I think this is reasonable. You can't assume the interesting low paying job is minimum wage while the stressful high paying job is US$200,000+ a year. Of course, everyone would go for high paying job.

Note: I think this topic should be at the "OPEN DEBATE" section.
    Last edited by Trien Chieu; 09-07-10 at 11:10 PM.

I'll take the high paying job and find excitement elsewhere. Traveling the world doesn't come cheap.
    I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyT View Post
    I'll take the high paying job and find excitement elsewhere.
    That's how I see it. I'm only at work about one third of the day and it's not even every day.

I'm currently feelings vex over such situation, and it's what causes my hair to grey sooner than expected. As it seems, it is not possible for me to have the best of both worlds. And, I don't think I can find anything else that interest me or excites me than my "longterm lover", animation. In the animation line, it is very likely that your initial years will be grilling in hell.

My company proposed to give a $1K raise in my paycheque if I would stay on. I see their loyalty to me, so it won't be fair if I'd simply accept the offer and wave goodbye after a year or two.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    I'm currently feelings vex over such situation, and it's what causes my hair to grey sooner than expected. As it seems, it is not possible for me to have the best of both worlds. And, I don't think I can find anything else that interest me or excites me than my "longterm lover", animation. In the animation line, it is very likely that your initial years will be grilling in hell.

My company proposed to give a $1K raise in my paycheque if I would stay on. I see their loyalty to me, so it won't be fair if I'd simply accept the offer and wave goodbye after a year or two.
    That's a hell lot of raise. Really good offer. But you really have to consider if you can take both the job and the study at the first time, and what is it you really want and what's there for you in the long-run.

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post

So, what is your final decision?
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

That's a hell lot of raise. Really good offer. But you really have to consider if you can take both the job and the study at the first time, and what is it you really want and what's there for you in the long-run.
    dang seriously, I'm with GX here...tough tough. Studying and working is draining, but not impossible. Lots of people are forced to do both to make ends meet while pursuing their dream. I happen to be a low energy type person, that is, I'd become a robot if I did both. Wait, actually, I have worked and studied and was somewhat only a little better than a walking zombie. But that's me, I'm a couch potato by nature.

Your case might be different. 1K raise, hm they really know how to tug on those heartstrings...purse strings too. You know, having money won't buy happiness...BUT not having enough money would make me a really sad person too.
    I like me.

Quote Originally Posted by ByTmE View Post
    dang seriously, I'm with GX here...tough tough. Studying and working is draining, but not impossible. Lots of people are forced to do both to make ends meet while pursuing their dream. I happen to be a low energy type person, that is, I'd become a robot if I did both. Wait, actually, I have worked and studied and was somewhat only a little better than a walking zombie. But that's me, I'm a couch potato by nature.

Your case might be different. 1K raise, hm they really know how to tug on those heartstrings...purse strings too. You know, having money won't buy happiness...BUT not having enough money would make me a really sad person too.
    I don't mind to juggle with both You're right, the problem is, both timing and the work requirement does not permit. The course structure is made such that studies would be very intense. Yes, I leave my parent's $ out of the picture completely, they should enjoy their $ to themselves.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?