Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: High paycheck, dull job OR sucky wages, exciting job?

There: http://www.esdaa.com.sg/programme_ch..._animation.php

I've been aiming for this specialty, since Animation became a course for study. And, I fell in love with the course structure since the day "the school" and I met. The potential of "THE POWER TO GIVE LIFE" is somewhere in me and being The Performer, "ACTING CAREER–BEHIND THE CAMERA" would be a second nature to me. I love to fool around, not to mention.

Ok, pardon me.... enough of love confession.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Money. I don't mind a dull job if it can fund my lifestyle and set me to retire around 40-50. Different story if the work environment is plain toxic. No amount of money can compensate your sanity when you're working with crazy people.

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    I'm currently feelings vex over such situation, and it's what causes my hair to grey sooner than expected. As it seems, it is not possible for me to have the best of both worlds. And, I don't think I can find anything else that interest me or excites me than my "longterm lover", animation. In the animation line, it is very likely that your initial years will be grilling in hell.
    Just cause I was in a similar situation before. You should consider that your degree is perishable. Meaning if you don't land a position in the field either at graduation or 6 months out - the chance of you breaking into the animation industry will be slim. Looking at the state of the economy in the US (if this is where you are) or the world, there are plenty of graduates not landing jobs in their field. Not sure how long your program is, but the economy is not really going to see a large scale recovery in next 1-2 years.

I know plenty of classmates that had a family, quit their plush job, to go to grad school and to come out without a job and another piece of paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Let say the net income of the low paying job is 70% as high as the high paying job. In addition, the low paying job should be just enough to get by because if the low paying job is too high, then the difference would be matter. The net income should be as follow:

1. $3000/month for stressful high paying job.
    2. $2100/month for interesting low paying job.

The $900/month extra in net income can make a huge huge difference. It's enough for monthly car payment + insurance + cell phone + possible more.

I think this is reasonable. You can't assume the interesting low paying job is minimum wage while the stressful high paying job is US$200,000+ a year. Of course, everyone would go for high paying job.

Note: I think this topic should be at the "OPEN DEBATE" section.
    If the low paying job (job A) was just enough to get by, and these are the only 2 options I have. I'd go for a the dull higher paying job (job B).

But the world doesn't consist of these 2 jobs only. So if job A gives me skills to get another interesting job that pays better but Job B doesn't, I'd stick with job A.
    If job B also gives me useful skills, I'd go with that, but still be on the lookout for other jobs that pay more than than job B but is more interesting/fulfilling than job A.

Eventually I'll get to a stage which as you say, the "low paying job" is no longer a low paying job because it's now paying too high.

And the 2 jobs you listed aren't mutually exclusive. To me, stressful jobs, make it interesting but that depends on what causes the stress. Difficult work = interesting work to me.
    If the job was dull that means it would be too easy and I wouldn't be stressed because I'd get all my stuff done by lunch time and probably could sleep at my desk.
    Last edited by KeongJai; 09-07-10 at 10:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzaku View Post
    Just cause I was in a similar situation before. You should consider that your degree is perishable. Meaning if you don't land a position in the field either at graduation or 6 months out - the chance of you breaking into the animation industry will be slim. Looking at the state of the economy in the US (if this is where you are) or the world, there are plenty of graduates not landing jobs in their field. Not sure how long your program is, but the economy is not really going to see a large scale recovery in next 1-2 years.

I know plenty of classmates that had a family, quit their plush job, to go to grad school and to come out without a job and another piece of paper.
    Thank you for your advice and for sharing your similar situation, Suzaku, which I appreciate.

I'm in Singapore, and animation industry in here, I don't think is blooming either to be honest.

In my situation, I was encouraged to go full time (the school only offer the course in full time) because the fee is 70% subsidized by our gov but this will be the last time. The program would be 2 years, first year we are given allowance of 1K every month through the year but I have too much of expenses and financial commitments to take care of. The balance fees to be paid at per semester will sum up to 1.8k (x3 semester).

Say, if you have a great passion in animation, would you stay on your job or take on the course given the government grant? My financial insecurity held me back from taking the course at the moment.

In the end, after due consideration (of the pending loans on hand), and talking to a few friends...... I have made up my mind to stay on and postpone the animation plan to later date.
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 09-08-10 at 12:27 PM.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

I don't mind to juggle with both You're right, the problem is, both timing and the work requirement does not permit. The course structure is made such that studies would be very intense. Yes, I leave my parent's $ out of the picture completely, they should enjoy their $ to themselves.
    it's one thing to leave their money alone, and quite another to 'not contribute' to their living i guess?
    o wilku mowa...♪

The only thing I need to know is that I don't know anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucre View Post
    it's one thing to leave their money alone, and quite another to 'not contribute' to their living i guess?
    Yeah, certainly. That's what I've been doing and will continue to do since my decision is been made.

In the end, after due consideration (of the pending loans on hand), and talking to a few friends...... I have made up my mind to stay on and postpone the animation plan to later date.
    All the best to you then.

Maybe a similar chance will drop by again, and hopefully by then you will be in a much better financial position to go for it.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post

Maybe a similar chance will drop by again, and hopefully by then you will be in a much better financial position to go for it.
    Thank you.

I certainly hope so. I'll just cross my fingers.

I am sorry you have to postpone your dream. However, you can still keep your eye on the prize! If after working your job, and paying your dues, and cushioning your bank account, you are still keen on pursuing animation school---then it's something to work towards in future planning. This is a postponement, not an abandonment!

You can do it Ceddy!
    I like me.

I am sorry you have to postpone your dream. However, you can still keep your eye on the prize! If after working your job, and paying your dues, and cushioning your bank account, you are still keen on pursuing animation school---then it's something to work towards in future planning. This is a postponement, not an abandonment!

You can do it Ceddy!
    I like me.

Quote Originally Posted by ByTmE View Post

You can do it Ceddy!
    Thank you, Buddy!

Awwww.... ok, people, let's do a group hugg to fight against the hatred!

Thank you, Buddy!

Awwww.... ok, people, let's do a group hugg to fight against the hatred!
    sure, i have a thing for group HUG!

GROUP HUG!!!!!!

may i also drop kisses as well?
    o wilku mowa...♪

Quote Originally Posted by Banh Mi View Post
    Depends on what I feel like. Even with a dull job, so long as it doesn't demand too much from me. In my spare time I can still have a hell of an adventure. In this regard, I admire PJ, I don't know about his job, but dude is living it up. And that is an example to follow.
    Yes, I need a life outside of work and discussing matters on SPCNET forums
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Having been "stuck" in a moderately high paying, but also moderately dull, job for 4 years, my mind is set on finding a meaningful, worthwhile pursuit in the future.

A friend once said there are 2 types of people: 1 who work for money, and another who work for purpose. Right now, I'm the latter.

Right now, I want to work for a purpose. But I do realize my passion could just be due to having been stuck in "work for money" situation for a while and wanting to break free. I've never been on my own in "can barely make ends meet" situation, so it's hard to say whether I would really prefer that until I've lived it.

A life-changing moment was when a traveler told me: "in this world, you can either have or be. I choose to be."
    Last edited by PJ; 09-10-10 at 02:44 PM.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Having been "stuck" in a moderately high paying, but also moderately dull, job for 4 years, my mind is set on finding a meaningful, worthwhile pursuit in the future.

A friend once said there are 2 types of people: 1 who work for money, and another who work for purpose. Right now, I'm the latter.

Right now, I want to work for a purpose. But I do realize my passion could just be due to having been stuck in "work for money" situation for a while and wanting to break free. I've never been on my own in "can barely make ends meet" situation, so it's hard to say whether I would really prefer that until I've lived it.

A life-changing moment was when a traveler told me: "in this world, you can either have or be. I choose to be."
    Good for you. Not many people view life this way.

For those right now stuck in a low-paying and slightly dull job like me, the first choice would be the most tempting. Yes, I hate being bored, but I also have a life outside of work where I can enjoy myself with other activities that most likely would require money. True that money can't bring happiness, but it sure helps a whole lot. I can always make money first, then save up and think about interesting jobs later.

I have a feeling that anything I'm interested in as a hobby will become boring and tedious as a job.

Most would probably preferred a trade off somewhere, but just wondering, which would you pick?
    A very fat paycheck for a dull job, something you'll find it meaningless to do but that the fat paycheck is your primary motivation.

OR
    You get to do something you like very much, but the wages they offered barely meet ends meet. Good for survival, but not much more.
    Need to be more specific.

Dull job
    - 80k per year
    - busy - non stop from 9-6pm; sometimes require overtime
    - doing janitorial-like work. no need to use your brain

Exciting job
    - 40k per year
    - work 8 hrs per day
    - do things that fun and challenging

I pick the dull job because I feel secure if I know I have $ in my bank accounts. I will there for a few years and save as much as I can so that I can spend on vacationing or food & drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by jay_z View Post

Exciting job
    - 40k per year
    - work 8 hrs per day
    - do things that fun and challenging

I pick the dull job because I feel secure if I know I have $ in my bank accounts. I will there for a few years and save as much as I can so that I can spend on vacationing or food & drinks.
    40K per year is a lot of money. :O
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Not really...at least not by my standards. When I'm thinking of high paycheck, I'm thinking of something 100K and above. Of course when you actually get the money back after all the taxes, there's really not too much left...

actually it isn't....at least i don't think i can survive on this amount.
    o wilku mowa...♪