Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a good WuXia/Period TVB series

Default Looking for a good WuXia/Period TVB series

So,

My wife and I are currently watching 2008's The Four, and we've also watched and enjoyed Chess Warriors and A Step into the Past.

Are there any other TVB/HK wuxia type TV series people would recommend? (Besides the obvious Jin Yong adaptions, which my wife has already seen.)

Rob

Face to Fate was pretty good too.

against the blade of honor was good
    revelation of the last hero - entertaining...don't expect quality acting from the lead but cast chemistry and storyline was fun
    heroes from shaolin
    hitman chronicles
    if you don't mind older series ( i mean 80's):
    grand canal
    new adventures of chor lau heung
    the dragon sword
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

Thanks guys! Really appreciated. I'm really just learning about TVB, but enjoying most of what I've seen so far.

Rob

the white haired maiden with ada choi is also good
    the handsome siblings with tony leung is very enjoyable

the grand canal as mentioned above is one of the must watch non jin-yong series...very grand series

i didn't really enjoy saga of the lost kingdom all that much because the romance was so screwed up but it is a solid series that you will enjoy
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

Thanks Patricia!

I'd love to see "The Grand Canal", but it's just old enough that there's no versions around with English subtitles.

I'll look for the others, though!

Rob

If you're willing to go back to the 90s, then you must try and get All About Tin, arguably my favourite. It was a bit depressing at the end, just like Against the Blade of Honour, though, although for much of the series it was a very exciting and grand adventure. The Holy Dragon Saga was also a very enjoyable serial.

Then you have the Gu Longs in the 80s like the Black Sabre, Legendary Siblings, New Adventures of Chor Lau Heung and Return of Luk Siu Fung.

If you don't understand the Canto or Mandarin dialect and none of the other languages the TV series is dubbed into, it's going to be really hard to recommend older TVB series. Because most of the really, really good Wuxia/period TVB series are the older ones. Nowdays, they don't even make one half as good as the ones in the 90s.

If you want a period drama, I'd suggest War and Beauty (made in the recent years) which deals with the schemes, plots and inner imperial palace life of Empresses, concubines, and servants during the Qing Dynasty. The characters has depth that are 3D enough.

I heard (but have not seen) that Rosy Business I is a really good period drama.

A post-modern but still period drama tv series ---I think if you watch Master of Tai Chi for solely the fighting scenes and forget about the melodrama of the relationships between the characters, it might entertain you for a bit.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

War and Beauty and Rosy Business are drama set in period eras, rather than real wuxia serials, though (TVB has no shortage of these, it's the wuxia which they seem to have decided to ignore). Both are excellent but if you're looking for a good wuxia experience neither will work. If all you want is the setting, rather than a wuxia plot, then The Prince's Shadow and A Pillow Case of Mystery are also good to watch, although they're lighter than the aforementioned two.

Try 'Strike At Heart'. An underrated TVB wuxia series.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

I'm so starved for a wuxia TVB series, but TVB is being stupid and can't even produce one nowadays, much less a really, really good one with a great ending.

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    Try 'Strike At Heart'. An underrated TVB wuxia series.
    i actually thought that was a poorly made series

i'll recommend twins of brother (even tho i hate raymond lam, 1 of the star actor)
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by LuNaR View Post
    i actually thought that was a poorly made series

i'll recommend twins of brother (even tho i hate raymond lam, 1 of the star actor)
    Is that a good series? I always thought that Ron Ng was too raw an actor during that time and Raymond was the half which carried the serial. Did it have a feel-good ending?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    Is that a good series? I always thought that Ron Ng was too raw an actor during that time and Raymond was the half which carried the serial. Did it have a feel-good ending?
    Ron's acting was quite bad in it. I like Ron's character, but, it was indeed Raymond Lam who carried the series with his good acting (although I dislike his character) .
    Btw, I prefer 'Strike At Heart' over 'Twins of Brothers'. 'Twins of Brothers' has a high budget, filming in China and all that. They have good realistic sceneries and CGI was good. But, I don't think the story was that good. Their supposedly intelligent characters did not display any intelligence especially that lady that everyone praise is a great strategist and a lady zhuge or something. I didn't finish the series, but, I did watch the ending later when it was aired on Astro. I like Tavia's, Ron's and Christine Ng's and Nancy Wu's character in the series.

'Strike At Heart' was low budget. It's not a grad production like 'Twins of Brothers'. But, I can see that they put a lot of thought into the series. I especially like their weapon design. I also find the story better written. It's a sad story though. A lot of people like the side story of Sunny Chan and Annie Man, but, I don't really care for their story. I like the main story better.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    Ron's acting was quite bad in it. I like Ron's character, but, it was indeed Raymond Lam who carried the series with his good acting (although I dislike his character) .
    Btw, I prefer 'Strike At Heart' over 'Twins of Brothers'. 'Twins of Brothers' has a high budget, filming in China and all that. They have good realistic sceneries and CGI was good. But, I don't think the story was that good. Their supposedly intelligent characters did not display any intelligence especially that lady that everyone praise is a great strategist and a lady zhuge or something. I didn't finish the series, but, I did watch the ending later when it was aired on Astro. I like Tavia's, Ron's and Christine Ng's and Nancy Wu's character in the series.

'Strike At Heart' was low budget. It's not a grad production like 'Twins of Brothers'. But, I can see that they put a lot of thought into the series. I especially like their weapon design. I also find the story better written. It's a sad story though. A lot of people like the side story of Sunny Chan and Annie Man, but, I don't really care for their story. I like the main story better.
    I think 'Strike At Heart' was underated because Mr Raymond Lam was not in the serial,Mr Raymond is TVB big boy .
    Which part of Main story? Joe Ma- Charmaine Sheh or Stephen Aun -Charmaine Sheh?
    Last edited by galvatron; 09-10-10 at 01:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraRob View Post
    So,

My wife and I are currently watching 2008's The Four, and we've also watched and enjoyed Chess Warriors and A Step into the Past.

Are there any other TVB/HK wuxia type TV series people would recommend? (Besides the obvious Jin Yong adaptions, which my wife has already seen.)

Rob
    i just add some more

The Final Combat by Stephen Chow - if you like comedy moi lei Tau this serial is for you but in the end it too playful ,it is Stephen first male lead in TVB and only serial he lead.

The Zu Mountain Saga.
    The Duke of Mount Deer 1984,1998.

Everyone, he's looking for TVB series that are available in English Subtitles. So keep that in mind when you recommend a series. Otherwise, all efforts to suggest titles would prove to be moot.

Quote Originally Posted by galvatron View Post
    I think 'Strike At Heart' was underated because Mr Raymond Lam was not in the serial,Mr Raymond is TVB big boy .
    Which part of Main story? Joe Ma- Charmaine Sheh or Stephen Aun -Charmaine Sheh?
    Haha. You might be right. 'Strike At Heart' and 'Vigilante in the Mask' are the only post 2000 TVB wuxia series that does not have Mr.Raymond Lam in it, and 'Vigilante' was quite low profile too.

Stephen Au-Charmaine Sheh.

Do anybody know where i can watch eight heroes with english subtitle or download it?

if you looking for good wuxia tvb series with eng subs then your not in luck, there is an abundance of films supposedly wuxia but are mainly centered around love triangles with anything else as an added bonus.

if your into just period drama's then there are a lot, good ones there are few, great ones there are none. I've given up on the majority of TVB films.

Try The Four, it wasn't great but wasn't a complete waste of time and since your divided into four storylines the actors and actress have less chances of annoying you. I'm very sure it comes in eng sub since the four young guns of TVB is in it.

Strike At Heart was a good story but was ruined with over acting (charmaine) and wooden acting (Joe) and useless side characters with no contribution to the storyline (Sunny and Annie). It comes with eng sub as I have the eng sub version.

A Pillow Case Of Mystery is another good one but it's not really a Wuxia, its just a period drama abot solving cases, its not the best but not the worst either. Comes with eng sub, I also have this eng sub version.

If your into magic then Ten Brothers wasn't so bad, it comes with eng sub as well, I don't own one but I have seen it with eng subs.

Rosy Business 1 & 2 are period drama's, I found them quite interesting but my family didn't, it is above all a drama, no fighting, mainly struggles to control a business and how a preachy woman came to power and tries desperately to maintain that power and her family. Had she been evil than it'll be great, but she's good, so it was a good series but not great. Come in eng subs, I own both versions.
    Currently in love with Bae Suzy...for superficial reasons.