Thread: Windows 7 Home Basic. Is it good?

Default Windows 7 Home Basic. Is it good?

Hi,

I'm buying 2 Desktop for my company. The dealer gave me 2 choices of OS.

- Windows 7 Home Basic
    - Windows 7 Professional

The difference is RM207 (which is around US$66). Is Windows 7 Home Basic good enough to use or it will have a lot of features lacking?
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

wow nice.

my office is still using windows xp, and my comp is still running on a snail 1gb ram ~ after 5 years and theres still no signs of upgrading. T__T

though i always thought the word 'home' referred mainly for home uses. not sure if theres any licensing discrepancy if used for commercial purposes. otherwise i figured one can always google for a comparison table between the different windows 7 version.
    o wilku mowa...♪

The only thing I need to know is that I don't know anything.

Well, we just hired 2 new staffs and there's no extra PCs, so, need to buy new ones. Nowadays, for new PC, if you want Windows XP you need to buy Windows 7 Pro and then buy the downgrade to XP option. More expensive than just having Windows 7.

Most of the info is for Windows 7 Home Premium and Windows 7 Professional.

I know Windows 7 Home Basic cannot join a domain (can only use peer to peer) and some of it's transparent display doesn't work or something.

I think it should be ok using Home in office. It's the Dell agent to quoted us. So, she should know.

Well, you can complain that the computer is very slow, that it slow down your work. Maybe they will upgrade then.

Anyway, I prefer XP. But, they are slowly phasing out XP. So, it is better to buy Windows 7.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    Well, we just hired 2 new staffs and there's no extra PCs, so, need to buy new ones. Nowadays, for new PC, if you want Windows XP you need to buy Windows 7 Pro and then buy the downgrade to XP option. More expensive than just having Windows 7.

Most of the info is for Windows 7 Home Premium and Windows 7 Professional.

I know Windows 7 Home Basic cannot join a domain (can only use peer to peer) and some of it's transparent display doesn't work or something.

I think it should be ok using Home in office. It's the Dell agent to quoted us. So, she should know.

Well, you can complain that the computer is very slow, that it slow down your work. Maybe they will upgrade then.

Anyway, I prefer XP. But, they are slowly phasing out XP. So, it is better to buy Windows 7.
    LOL, that didn't work. They are well aware that my computer hanged pretty often, and I guess I haven't tried the extreme and take out a hammer and whack on it.

My boss doesn't really care all that much about this. Even if the server is down, you still have to somehow make sure you deliver the work on time. =p They pay peanuts but they expect miracle-workers. ^_~

I'm also still using a ACAD 2000, whereas most other companies are already using higher version; quite a pain in the butt whenever I have to deal with opening newer files. T__T but company is scrimping on the licenses though. I guess even if I really hammer my computer, they might just replace another ancient compie for my usage. T___T
    Last edited by Lucre; 09-07-10 at 08:44 AM.
    o wilku mowa...♪

The only thing I need to know is that I don't know anything.