Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The most "BS" martial arts in JY's novels?

Default The most "BS" martial arts in JY's novels?

Not to dis-respect any of his work, but what do you think is the most BS/super human/extremely unrealistic/ martial art style in his stories?

For example, the Dog Beating Technique is totally do-able in real life; however, things like Xiang Long 18 Zhang, 6 Mai Shen Jiang are totally bs

To me the ability to jump SUPER HIGH, I think its sth called khing kong (no it's not the monkey), is really bs. Especially when you can basically FLY!

Quote Originally Posted by michoux36 View Post
    Not to dis-respect any of his work, but what do you think is the most BS/super human/extremely unrealistic/ martial art style in his stories?

For example, the Dog Beating Technique is totally do-able in real life; however, things like Xiang Long 18 Zhang, 6 Mai Shen Jiang are totally bs

To me the ability to jump SUPER HIGH, I think its sth called khing kong (no it's not the monkey), is really bs. Especially when you can basically FLY!
    Qinggong is part of wuxia culture, and hardly Jin Yong's creation, though. I'd go for the "restore the dead after a few hours" Shenzhaojing.

The Sunflower Munual (Bixie Sword play) is the most BS martial art in JY universe, where a guy has to chop off his penis in order to learn martial art.

For GuLong, the martial art that require to break all tendons in order to become powerful. That is completely BS to me. After breaking all the tendons, the guy will be cripple for life with zero probability of recover.

DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!

Oh, and also DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!

With all of those fiery faces, this post just reminds me of your YG/XLN hate thread.

I don't know if it's the most BS, and it's not martial arts but it's usually used in these series. But in another thread, someone mentioned how whenever the main male character gets poisoned or whatever, then a female (one who usually don't end up with the guy) would sacrifice her body in order to save him.

Quote Originally Posted by So Yen View Post
    With all of those fiery faces, this post just reminds me of your YG/XLN hate thread.
    Yes. You will come to know (if you don't already) that there are certain things that I hate with a passion.

n X {DOOK GOO 9 SWORDS!!!} m X {}

Actually, DG9J is not that bullshit considering Bruce Lee's JKD sounded very much like DG9J, even more vague. At the highest point, Bruce didn't envision the need for any weapon, nunchaku included, because it limits the movements of the 4 limbs, aka defeating a sword without a sword ... blah, blah, blah. And it's a way to express oneself wholly, being concious of his being ... and all sorts of confusing zen-liked ideas/theories.

The introduction of nunchaku in his movies were more like fancy stuff to attract audiences.

Quote Originally Posted by shortsight View Post
    Actually, DG9J is not that bullshit considering Bruce Lee's JKD sounded very much like DG9J, even more vague. At the highest point, Bruce didn't envision the need for any weapon, nunchaku included, because it limits the movements of the 4 limbs, aka defeating a sword without a sword ... blah, blah, blah. And it's a way to express oneself wholly, being concious of his being ... and all sorts of confusing zen-liked ideas/theories.

The introduction of nunchaku in his movies were more like fancy stuff to attract audiences.
    The thing is: Bruce could still lose.

The way Dook Goo 9 Swords is depicted, you can't lose if you use it.

Therein the b.s. lies.

The thing is: Bruce could still lose.

The way Dook Goo 9 Swords is depicted, you can't lose if you use it.

Therein the b.s. lies.
    LHC got spanked by DFBB.

I think the concept of inner strength making you THAT inhumanely strong is even more bs, but that is kind of the whole framework of JY novels so can't really complain too much.

DG9J is just the idea that every death star has it's weak spot. And if you have the reaction, perception and reflex to attack it in combat, you will win. What's unbelievable is not the skill, but the reactions and precision needed to execute it, which we blame on the physical attributes of the fighter not the art.

Yang Guo's hypnosis trick is B.S
    Some of HYS's traps and formations sound B.S
    Absorbing internal energy ad infinitum is B.S
    LMSJ is B.S, really, who needs firearms when you have that?
    And there are so many other ones.

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    LHC got spanked by DFBB.
    What about all that "Surprising Position" nonsense, then?

I never understood Duan Yu's energy sucking skills (化功大法). To me that's the most BS martial arts move because its so insanely overpowered. If he can touch anyone and suck their energy, he is basically invincible.

Quote Originally Posted by i_fotted View Post
    I never understood Duan Yu's energy sucking skills (化功大法). To me that's the most BS martial arts move because its so insanely overpowered. If he can touch anyone and suck their energy, he is basically invincible.
    There are limitations to it, though. First, he can't take energy from those who have more than he does (although as the story went on, the list of such people got shorter and shorter and was down to Hui Juk by the end). Second, he's got to make physical contact with the person whose energy he is going to absorb. Even with his Ling Bor Mei Bo, Deun Yu isn't going to be able to just casually grab on to someone such as Kiu Fung if that person knows what skill he has and what his intentions are.

That's still, in terms of storytelling, way better than "I randomly stick my sword out and impale a martial artist who has twenty times my inner power and ten times my skill."

That's still, in terms of storytelling, way better than "I randomly stick my sword out and impale a martial artist who has twenty times my inner power and ten times my skill."
    The point (!) about a bladed weapon is that it is a great leveler. Force field/Golden Bell/Iron Shirt defences aside, it doesn't really matter about the relative levels of internal energy as long as the blade makes contact.

Of course making contact is the key, and within the wuxia canon the more internal energy you have the faster you are, better execution of moves, etc.

Don't underestimate the random attack, it is more akin to the "formless" attack. If you only attack in a certain fashion then you are vulnerable. An example is Yue Bu Kun (Ngok But Kwun) - although he has the Pixie swordplay his adherence to form/pattern gave LHC an opening.

In any case, LHC uses unexpected attacks not just some wild flailing.

Not sure how Duan Yu randomly grabbing people and absorbing their energy unintentionally and unknowingly is better than Linghu Chong actually learning a sword art while we watch him progress to be better and better at DG9J.

We also see several occasions where his sword art fails for whatever reason (lack of weapon, too dark to see the moves, knocked out by inner energy, outclassed in speed, outclassed in power), and he actually fails to win, except the plot of course gets him out of it.

I see that as much more interesting than DY''s stealing of inner energy and then randomly being able to use 6 Meridian Swords and insta-winning or getting his face stomped in if it doesn't come out.

Though to be fair, I think the whole Dugu 9 Jian thing is only flawed because the principles of it seem like it should be obvious to any master. I mean, it shouldn't take a genius to realize one should be looking for a weakness and attacking when fighting life or death duels.

I fail to believe these people practicing 10 hours a day for tens of years would be unable to counter a simple thrust at an odd angle with another move or thrust of their own.

What I find BS is the solo practice or solo development resulting in kick *** moves in combat. If you don't train against someone you'll never develop the timing to use the skill.

Think about that statement for a second. DG9J is B.S because of how B.S inner power already is.
    If cultivating inner power for 5 years through some hack method didn't produce hack results, would it be so impressive? Should someone with strong inner power be totally impervious to a normal person, even their eyes etc?
    I mean, who's sat down and tried to pin point the specifics of an autoreflect shield?
    Last edited by Banh Mi; 09-08-10 at 09:08 AM.

putting internal energy into instruments that can kill a mass of a ppl, ex: hys's flute
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Dugu 9 Swords is B.S. because it is the only martial arts that defies INTER-SPATIAL perception and visualisation.

I can imagine/visualise, sword chi, palm blasts, chi absorbtion, age reversal, dragons flying out of my arse etc etc.

But I can't visualise how 1 guy flailing out with his sword can blind 15 swifter experts or disarm 8 attacking spears unless that 1 guy is 5 to 10 times faster alongside with having much higher precision.

Example 1
    :

I chuck our a palm and this blast of energy splits the moon into 600 pieces. Its outrageous but you can _visualise_ it.

Example 2
    :

I am standing in the middle of a field, 20 machine gunners are surrounding me in a circle 50 feet wide. Just as they are about to fire, I swing my sword in a surprising attack and all 20 have their firing fingers chopped off.

In a way, example 2 is much less extravagant than Example 1 with a moon shattering palm blast, but can you visualise how it is carried out short of me having speed like Superman?
    Last edited by CC; 09-08-10 at 11:46 AM.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!