Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The most "BS" martial arts in JY's novels?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    There are limitations to it, though. First, he can't take energy from those who have more than he does (although as the story went on, the list of such people got shorter and shorter and was down to Hui Juk by the end).
    This is obviously untrue, since at the beginning, even the weakest flunky would still tower above Duan Yu energy-wise. Out of all the characters in all the novels, only Abbot Fang Zheng in SPW has been shown to be able to directly resist the effects of inner-power absorbing arts, though high-level fighters can retain enough control to knock the absorber away.

Second, he's got to make physical contact with the person whose energy he is going to absorb. Even with his Ling Bor Mei Bo, Deun Yu isn't going to be able to just casually grab on to someone such as Kiu Fung if that person knows what skill he has and what his intentions are.
    Duan Yu only learnt a portion of the skill, so that energy would only be absorbed if it came into contact with a particular pressure point. Had he learnt it all, he should be much more versatile.

By comparison, Lingwu Chong, who learnt a much-degraded derivative of Duan Yu's skill, was able to absorb energy from all four limbs while hoisted in the air by the 6 Peach fairies, and could also absorb energy just from sword-to-sword contact.

The biggest BS martial arts I ever came across is Yang Guo's Sad Palms. The cheesiest part was the final battle scene where he thought he might lose XLN and he unleashes his full Sad Palms force because of his intense sadness. ROCH2006 did it the cheesiest way with that artistically positioned tear on LYF's face. CHEEEESSY!! At least ROCH1983 toned it down.

There's nothing wrong with a martial art that requires the right state of mind to unleash its full power. In that regard there's nothing wrong with Sad Palms as written by Jin Yong. YG simply can't be in a state of happiness for the palms to be most effective.

The issue is when people misinterpret this and start going on about how YG has unlimited power based on his sadness.

Quote Originally Posted by xiaolong View Post
    The biggest BS martial arts I ever came across is Yang Guo's Sad Palms. The cheesiest part was the final battle scene where he thought he might lose XLN and he unleashes his full Sad Palms force because of his intense sadness. ROCH2006 did it the cheesiest way with that artistically positioned tear on LYF's face. CHEEEESSY!! At least ROCH1983 toned it down.
    ROCH 83 not only toned it down, they completely removed reference to it. YG was just *better* than JLFW. It helped that XLN had her TVB-created new-fangled Sad Sword to pair with YG's Sad Palms, although it looked pretty useless. A badly-aimed thrust while leaping through the air was the result of her 16-years creativity =) At least YG got some CGI and fancy air-motor sound effects.

I don't have a problem with the Sad Palm technique. You can almost interpret it as rage. Rage is an emotion and if it can make you stronger so can sadness.

Just imagine YG as the Hulk only he is fueled by sadness instead of rage.

There are limitations to it, though. First, he can't take energy from those who have more than he does (although as the story went on, the list of such people got shorter and shorter and was down to Hui Juk by the end).

Can someone confirm that this is accurate? At the time DY absorbed JMS, there is no way he has higher internal energy than him since JMS has been training and cultivating his energy for years.

At the time DY absorbed JMZ, he should have had higher internal energy; it was stated in the novel that Duan Yu had more internal energy than Xiao Feng, and Xiao Feng was about on par with Jiumozhi.

You actually CAN absorb energy from people stronger than you, but run a risk of fire deviation.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    You actually CAN absorb energy from people stronger than you, but run a risk of fire deviation.
    Really? I thought it relied on the principle of "rivers flowing into the ocean"?

I'm not as familiar with the other forms of martial arts in novels but I like the rule that it is fantasy so I can suspend disbelief but....

My addition is YG/XLN having to practice Jade Maiden Manual naked in a field. Its okay to have your vision blocked by 5ft tall grass but not indoors with blindfolds???

Quote Originally Posted by smurf120 View Post
    I'm not as familiar with the other forms of martial arts in novels but I like the rule that it is fantasy so I can suspend disbelief but....

My addition is YG/XLN having to practice Jade Maiden Manual naked in a field. Its okay to have your vision blocked by 5ft tall grass but not indoors with blindfolds???
    I like the blind fold thingi. They or at least Yang Guo would have a very good excuse to touch XLN at the wrong places!!

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    Really? I thought it relied on the principle of "rivers flowing into the ocean"?
    Same principle. So when the oceans flow into the river instead, you would likely have major problems.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hoatran View Post
    I like the blind fold thingi. They or at least Yang Guo would have a very good excuse to touch XLN at the wrong places!!
    That would be sweet.