Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 216

Thread: Too Late To Say I Love You 《来不及说我爱你》 - Wallace Chung, Li Xiao Ran

  1. #41
    Senior Member Melanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    3,729

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Nefertari View Post
    Definitely! Wallace Chung is one of the best actors around these days. A pity that I didn't notice him earlier when he came out in the 90s. The irony is I did notice his name quite frequently, but I mistook him as one of those pop idols who did not really have any real talent behind their flashy, glamourous image hyped on by their management companies, so I choose not to pay attention. Gosh, I was so wrong. I read the story behind his success and couldn't admire the guy more. His easy-go-lucky personality really fools people into thinking his life is a bed of roses, which is never further away from truth.
    What is the story behind Wallace Chung's success?

  2. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,097

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    If Murong had found Jing Wan first, would he try to keep her with him by force by locking her up again and boarding up the windows like years ago? Would he attempt to rape her? Something about Murong's sexual aggressiveness toward Jing Wan bothered me in the earlier episodes, especially in the middle part of the series when she was furious at him for abandoning her. She was obviously infuriated at him, and his sexual advances toward her weren't going to smooth out the situation. And yet, he assaulted her anyway. That just kind of bothered me a bit about his character. Nobody mentioned this, so I suppose I was the only one bothered by this behavior.
    That's another interesting point that you brought up. I actually feel the same way when I was reading the novel. In the original novel, MRF was twice as aggressive, ambitious and also sexually aggravated compared to TLTSILY. The series has already toned down his sexual aggressiveness by a cool degree, that's why I guess most of us never mentioned it. In fact, I feel MRF in the series respected Jingwan more compared to the novel and his sexual attraction was more of an indication of the depth of passion he has for her.

    In the novel itself, MRF gave the idea that he just wants to have her even though he claimed to love and respect her and therefore hadn't touched her thus far. This was quite contradicting because just a scene earlier, he aggressively kissed her on her lips when she called him brother.

    In the series, I only see his sexual aggressiveness towards Jingwan as an issue after he divorced her. I mean, how sordid it is for him to have sexual advances right after he proclaimed to the world to cut off all ties with her? But I doubt MRF would resort to become a rapist because if he did, he'd never ever see Jingwan again. Also, the first instance he heard Jingwan and Xinzhi are together, he seemed to resign to fate and vented out all his anger at the orchids instead. This indicated that he still respected Jingwan as a person, not just a sexual object.

    Right now I wish I have an English subtitled version of this drama..so I can introduce it to my non-Mandarin speaking friends...or Cantonese would be good too...I know they're airing an Cantonese version in Guangzhou right now. I wonder where i can download it.
    You might have to wait for fans to sub this in English. mysoju might have this one day since this is such a popular show right now. I'm crossing my fingers since they have Patriotic Knights with Wallace Chung up there.

  3. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,097

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    What is the story behind Wallace Chung's success?
    That was quite an inspiring and long story to begin with. I'd try my best not to sound boring.

    To begin, Wallace first shot to fame in the late 90s with his singing talents and first album OREO, but didn't quite sustain his fame later due to mistreatment by his company TVB. It was said his name was on par with Jimmy Lin and Eric Suen, therefore was coronated Little Sunshine by the media. Before that, he did internship at TVB learning dance, acting, hosting and was paid a meagre few hundreds dollars each month. To that, he perservered as he believed he had the talents. Also, he came from a poor family and had to give up tertairy studies despite being a good student.

    After he shot to fame, he was purportedly put on the cold shelf because he stood up for one of his gal best friend whom he believed was unfairly treated by the company. He did not cut any albums in the following five years. As he could not pay his bond, he undergo his suffering in silence but see it as a form of training. Although vastly talented and his acting was recognized by audiences as a cut above the leads, he was merely given supporting roles in TVB's dramas.

    Five years later, he left TVB and flew over to Taiwan to seek further development. Many reporters asked him about his punishment at TVB, but he never ever put the company down, denied those allegations, and always answered with an optimistic smile that the company was merely training him so he can reach greater heights.

    He became slightly more popular in Taiwan going on variety shows and was occassionally given leading roles. He is also Jimmy Lin's best friend. I'm not too familiar with the later story, but it seemed he took on a few leading roles in Mainland series, always prepared himself fully for the roles beforehand and his acting caught major attention by women audiences who fell for his roles in Four Detectives, Ni Shui Han and Kang Xi Mi Shi. He was voted as 'All Around Male Lead' by fans at baidu and his name always came up first as the actor whom fans envisioned as lead for adapted internet novels.

    That's practically the gist I know, but if you read his biblography on baidu, you'd find that he's very rich in philosophy, always putting his best into his work and trying to stay away from tabloid news; always living life with a smile even when things are down.

  4. #44
    Senior Member xiaolong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Singapore & Malaysia
    Posts
    4,767

    Default

    OMG Neferati! The true story behind Wallace's struggles in a vicious place like TVB is so touching!! It put tears in my eyes... I can't imagine what kind of work environment TVB has where only cruel b*tches can thrive. I am so glad that Wallace had a great friend in Jimmy Lin who backed him up. Now his true talent shines brightly in Mainland!

    Wallace reminds me of Anthony Wong's story - he came from a poor and broken family too and struggled with racial prejudice from those TVB honchos and third-rate roles for a long long time despite his great talent.

  5. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    839

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nefertari View Post
    In the series, I only see his sexual aggressiveness towards Jingwan as an issue after he divorced her. I mean, how sordid it is for him to have sexual advances right after he proclaimed to the world to cut off all ties with her? But I doubt MRF would resort to become a rapist because if he did, he'd never ever see Jingwan again. Also, the first instance he heard Jingwan and Xinzhi are together, he seemed to resign to fate and vented out all his anger at the orchids instead. This indicated that he still respected Jingwan as a person, not just a sexual object.
    You guys are bringing up a whole new perspective that I didn't really think much about. I always thought MRF forcefully kissed JW in ep.22 was his tactic of calming her down by using physical intimacy. Sorta like "we're having our usual lovebird quarrels so I'll kiss you till you shut up. nothing serious. She'll eventually get over it once she realizes how much I love her...yada yada yada." I actually read this long review by the author Fei WO Si Cun on the TV series and she also confirmed this interpretation. In the review, she describes in details the thoughts/emotions of two main characters in some climatic scenes (e.g. ep.22 confrontation scene and ep.23 JW's sudden docility toward MRF before her escape). It was quite an interesting read and very insightful for me.

    I certainly think MRF is capable of using physical force on JW, but I highly doubt he will since he knows her character too well...unless he's pushed to his limits and when he thinks there's no hope. As aforementioned by Nefertari, the novel's MRF is definitely more sexually aggressive. The MRF in drama is a saint compared to MRF in the novel...lol...I think MRF in the novel even forced himself on JW when they first consummated their relationship. JW was a bit reluctant to sleep with him the very first evening of their reunion (in the drama, MRF controlled himself).
    Last edited by JoleCole; 09-30-10 at 09:25 PM.

  6. #46
    Senior Member Melanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    3,729

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Nefertari View Post
    That's another interesting point that you brought up. I actually feel the same way when I was reading the novel. In the original novel, MRF was twice as aggressive, ambitious and also sexually aggravated compared to TLTSILY. The series has already toned down his sexual aggressiveness by a cool degree, that's why I guess most of us never mentioned it. In fact, I feel MRF in the series respected Jingwan more compared to the novel and his sexual attraction was more of an indication of the depth of passion he has for her.

    In the novel itself, MRF gave the idea that he just wants to have her even though he claimed to love and respect her and therefore hadn't touched her thus far. This was quite contradicting because just a scene earlier, he aggressively kissed her on her lips when she called him brother.

    In the series, I only see his sexual aggressiveness towards Jingwan as an issue after he divorced her. I mean, how sordid it is for him to have sexual advances right after he proclaimed to the world to cut off all ties with her? But I doubt MRF would resort to become a rapist because if he did, he'd never ever see Jingwan again. Also, the first instance he heard Jingwan and Xinzhi are together, he seemed to resign to fate and vented out all his anger at the orchids instead. This indicated that he still respected Jingwan as a person, not just a sexual object.



    You might have to wait for fans to sub this in English. mysoju might have this one day since this is such a popular show right now. I'm crossing my fingers since they have Patriotic Knights with Wallace Chung up there.
    Wow, I got the impression that Murong Feng was more of a jerk in the novel, but I didn't realize he also tended to treat women as sexual objects. If that was how his personality was in the novel version, then no wonder he had no qualms about abandoning Jing Wan for ambition when he really didn't need to do so in the novel. I'm actually glad now that the scriptwriters cooled down Murong Feng's sexual aggressiveness in the series, or else, I think I would have hated Murong Feng, even if my favorite Wallace Chung played him. We are fortunate enough to live in a different era where women are treated as equals of men (in most cases, not all, unfortunately) that I just cannot understand how Murong (novel and drama version) can claim to love Jing Wan and not respect her. Perhaps in the Ming Guo era, when women say no, men just pretend they can't hear and sexually assault them anyway? I absolutely agree that it's very, very sordid of Murong Feng to make sexual advances toward Jing Wan practically immediately right after he officially cut off all ties with her. It's like he's saying, "Jing Wan, that public announcement was for appearance's sake, but I still want to keep you as my dirty little secret that my new wife does not know about. Hey, how about jumping into bed with me right now, huh, like you're nothing better than a prostitute?" In fact, he does jump right into bed with her at the first opportunity the night before his wedding to Jin Zhi! I don't like Jin Zhi, but as a woman, I do feel some outrage for her, as no bride-to-be should have to tolerate having her groom in bed with another woman the very night before the wedding day!

    Another point I agree with you on is that I guess Murong would not resort to rape as he's too smart and realizes that Jing Wan would really never forgive him if he does force himself on her. However, I disagree that he seemed resigned to fate after he learned that Jing Wan was with Xin Zhi. Sure, he left her alone initially probably because her declaration shocked him so much that he was nearly paralyzed. Never, in the many years that he had pined and dreamed for her, did he expect that she would start a relationship with another man. It was indeed very arrogant of him to expect her to remain single and unattached, as he, himself, already had a wife and a paramour (Su Ying). Therefore, Jing Wan's declaration that he was replaced by another man in her life now probably took the wind out of Murong. And then he went home and vented on the orchids. However, almost immediately afterward, he asked his second-in-command to search for Jing Wan's whereabouts. I think, if he had found her, he would have dragged her back with him and locked her up again. It wouldn't surprise me, since he was such a bad-tempered, arrogant, I-take-what-I-want sort of fellow.

  7. #47
    Senior Member Melanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    3,729

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by JoleCole View Post
    You guys are bringing up a whole new perspective that I didn't really think much about. I always thought MRF forcefully kissed JW in ep.22 was his tactic of calming her down by using physical intimacy. Sorta like "we're having our usual lovebird quarrels so I'll kiss you till you shut up. nothing serious. She'll eventually get over it once she realizes how much I love her...yada yada yada." I actually read this long review by the author Fei WO Si Cun on the TV series and she also confirmed this interpretation. In the review, she describes in details the thoughts/emotions of two main characters in some climatic scenes (e.g. ep.22 confrontation scene and ep.23 JW's sudden docility toward MRF before her escape). It was quite an interesting read and very insightful for me.
    Wow, thanks for sharing this with us, JoleCole! What else did the author say?

    I feel that if Murong Feng thinks he can just kiss Jing Wan until she quiets down and that she'll get over it once she realizes how much he loves her, then he's a lot less intelligent that he thinks he is. He underestimates the depth of Jing Wan's hurt and anger and the amount of pride she has in herself as a woman worthy of being an only wife rather than someone's paramour. Kissing her (or sexually assaulting her, as I see it) only will infuriate her even more, as is what happened in the series. It shows that he has no respect and understanding of what she is going through and won't even acknowledge her feelings of pain and betrayal. Of course, his lack of understanding of how Jing Wan truly feels is the very tool that Jing Wan uses to help her escape the night before his wedding to Jin Zhi. Murong probably sees her sudden docility the night before his wedding as an expected outcome once Jing Wan has "calmed down and come to her senses," so to speak. Such arrogant and naive thinking on his part! And it is this type of thinking that allows her to successfully drug him and escape. Kudos to Jing Wan for keeping her goals of escape firm and never wavering even though it must have been painful to leave the father of her unborn child and the man she loves.

    I'm certainly think MRF is capable of using physical force on JW, but I highly doubt he will since he knows her character too well...unless he's pushed to his limits and when he thinks there's no hope. As aforementioned by Nefertari, the novel's MRF is definitely more sexually aggressive. The MRF in drama is a saint compared to MRF in the novel...lol...I think MRF in the novel even forced himself on JW when they first consummated their relationship. JW was a bit reluctant to sleep with him the very first evening of their reunion (in the drama, MRF controlled himself).
    Oh, goodness. Ok, this Murong Feng guy (in the novel) is sounding more and more like a donkey's rear end. He forced himself on poor Jing Wan when she was apprehensive of consummating their relationship??? That is just despicable. Geez. Hey, if we assume that JoleCole is right about Murong resorting to rape if he's pushed to the limits, then I bet Murong Feng (drama version) would have forced himself on Jing Wan if she had not first come up with the idea of pretending to be docile and giving in to him. He might not force himself onto her that particular night before the wedding, but I think with time, if Jing Wan continued to fight him, he would have inevitably used force. Eh, I'm not fond of men like him.

  8. #48
    Senior Member Melanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    3,729

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Nefertari View Post
    That was quite an inspiring and long story to begin with. I'd try my best not to sound boring.

    To begin, Wallace first shot to fame in the late 90s with his singing talents and first album OREO, but didn't quite sustain his fame later due to mistreatment by his company TVB. It was said his name was on par with Jimmy Lin and Eric Suen, therefore was coronated Little Sunshine by the media. Before that, he did internship at TVB learning dance, acting, hosting and was paid a meagre few hundreds dollars each month. To that, he perservered as he believed he had the talents. Also, he came from a poor family and had to give up tertairy studies despite being a good student.

    After he shot to fame, he was purportedly put on the cold shelf because he stood up for one of his gal best friend whom he believed was unfairly treated by the company. He did not cut any albums in the following five years. As he could not pay his bond, he undergo his suffering in silence but see it as a form of training. Although vastly talented and his acting was recognized by audiences as a cut above the leads, he was merely given supporting roles in TVB's dramas.

    Five years later, he left TVB and flew over to Taiwan to seek further development. Many reporters asked him about his punishment at TVB, but he never ever put the company down, denied those allegations, and always answered with an optimistic smile that the company was merely training him so he can reach greater heights.

    He became slightly more popular in Taiwan going on variety shows and was occassionally given leading roles. He is also Jimmy Lin's best friend. I'm not too familiar with the later story, but it seemed he took on a few leading roles in Mainland series, always prepared himself fully for the roles beforehand and his acting caught major attention by women audiences who fell for his roles in Four Detectives, Ni Shui Han and Kang Xi Mi Shi. He was voted as 'All Around Male Lead' by fans at baidu and his name always came up first as the actor whom fans envisioned as lead for adapted internet novels.

    That's practically the gist I know, but if you read his biblography on baidu, you'd find that he's very rich in philosophy, always putting his best into his work and trying to stay away from tabloid news; always living life with a smile even when things are down.
    Thanks for information and this insight into Wallace's life and rise to fame! It's so nice to know that he is not just another handsome face. The man exhibits grace under fire and is a class act by not bad-mouthing TVB despite being ill treated by the company. It takes a lot of professionalism and self control to do such a thing! There's this link that LYZ posted in the Wallace Chung thread of Wallace promoting his album in Taiwan. I saw the first part of it. In it, Wallace mentioned that he tried very hard to learn Mandarin so that he can speak his lines in Mandarin when filming rather than use Cantonese. That alone shows us how dedicated he is. He said he didn't want to complicate the job for his Mandarin-speaking costars by making them adjust to his Cantonese lines. How thoughtful of him! He must be easy and nice to work with. If only everyone has coworkers like him! I love the man, and this has nothing to do with how handsome I think he is. He's just so nice and happy.

  9. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    839

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    We are fortunate enough to live in a different era where women are treated as equals of men (in most cases, not all, unfortunately) that I just cannot understand how Murong (novel and drama version) can claim to love Jing Wan and not respect her. Perhaps in the Ming Guo era, when women say no, men just pretend they can't hear and sexually assault them anyway? I absolutely agree that it's very, very sordid of Murong Feng to make sexual advances toward Jing Wan practically immediately right after he officially cut off all ties with her. It's like he's saying, "Jing Wan, that public announcement was for appearance's sake, but I still want to keep you as my dirty little secret that my new wife does not know about. Hey, how about jumping into bed with me right now, huh, like you're nothing better than a prostitute?" In fact, he does jump right into bed with her at the first opportunity the night before his wedding to Jin Zhi! I don't like Jin Zhi, but as a woman, I do feel some outrage for her, as no bride-to-be should have to tolerate having her groom in bed with another woman the very night before the wedding day!

    Another point I agree with you on is that I guess Murong would not resort to rape as he's too smart and realizes that Jing Wan would really never forgive him if he does force himself on her. However, I disagree that he seemed resigned to fate after he learned that Jing Wan was with Xin Zhi. Sure, he left her alone initially probably because her declaration shocked him so much that he was nearly paralyzed. Never, in the many years that he had pined and dreamed for her, did he expect that she would start a relationship with another man. It was indeed very arrogant of him to expect her to remain single and unattached, as he, himself, already had a wife and a paramour (Su Ying). Therefore, Jing Wan's declaration that he was replaced by another man in her life now probably took the wind out of Murong. And then he went home and vented on the orchids. However, almost immediately afterward, he asked his second-in-command to search for Jing Wan's whereabouts. I think, if he had found her, he would have dragged her back with him and locked her up again. It wouldn't surprise me, since he was such a bad-tempered, arrogant, I-take-what-I-want sort of fellow.
    Considering the story takes place during the Warlord/Republican Era, MRF's actions and perceptions on women are typical of his days. Chinese women didn't really get liberated until the Communism Party took over. The fact that he even attempted to "respect" JW initially is already something new and atypical. I remember in the beginning when JW refused his affections, his aide-de-camp, Shen, suggested that he used force to get JW, but MRF refused since he knew JW would rather die than give in to force. Shen even cited MRF's father as a precedence. MRF's father took a liking to a married woman and forced the husband to divorce her so he could have her as his 5th CONCUBINE!! Now, having a father like MRF's certainly doesn't help to set a exemplary model for the son!

    MRF was the only son in a large prominent military family. He grew up getting everything he wanted and his father probably groomed him to become an 'alpha' male. Anything less will be deemed as unworthy by his father. He probably thinks the best method to exhibit his 'love' for JW is physical intimacy. Being a warlord, it's hard to imagine him wooing JW with poetry and love letters...lol...Of course there are exceptions. Many famous generals in history excelled in both the arts/letters and military affairs.

    Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    He forced himself on poor Jing Wan when she was apprehensive of consummating their relationship???
    I don't know if JW was apprehensive of consummating their relationship; she certainly wasn't as ready as him. I just remember the next morning, JW refused to get out of bed and gave him the silence treatment. MRF asked her not to be mad at him anymore and he sweet talked his way out of the situation. JW, being very much in love with him, easily forgave him.
    Last edited by JoleCole; 09-30-10 at 11:34 PM.

  10. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    839

    Default

    Some behind the scenes photos:

    Li Xiao Ran (Jingwan) really enjoyed nibbling at her corn...






    I didn't realize Jingwan was this short compared to Murong Feng




    They were filming in -22 degree F weather...Talk about freezing temperature!!


    Last edited by JoleCole; 09-30-10 at 10:42 PM.

  11. #51
    Senior Member Melanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    3,729

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by JoleCole View Post
    Considering the story takes place during the Warlord/Republican Era, MRF's actions and perceptions on women are typical of his days. Chinese women didn't really get liberated until the Communism Party took over. The fact that he even attempted to "respect" JW initially is already something new and atypical. I remember in the beginning when JW refused his affections, his aide-de-camp, Shen, suggested that he used force to get JW, but MRF refused since he knew JW would rather die than give in to force. Shen even cited MRF's father as a precedence. MRF's father took a liking to a married woman and forced the husband to divorce her so he could have her as his 5th CONCUBINE!! Now, having a father like MRF's certainly doesn't help to set a exemplary model for the son!
    Very good points. I had almost forgotten about the scene when Shen, retelling how Murong Feng's father acquired his 5th wife, suggested that Murong Feng just take Jing Wan by force. Very smart of Murong Feng to not take Shen's advice. If he did, the courtship would be over even before it started.

    MRF was the only son in a large prominent military family. He grew up getting everything he wanted and his father probably groomed him to become an 'alpha' male. Anything less will be deemed as unworthy by his father. He probably thinks the best method to exhibit his 'love' for JW is physical intimacy. Being a warlord, it's hard to imagine him wooing JW with poetry and love letters...lol...Of course there are exceptions. Many famous generals in history excelled in both the arts/letters and military affairs.
    Your comment about Murong wooing Jing Wan with poetry and love letters reminded me of a scene in episode 22 toward the end. Murong Feng took Jing Wan to dance upon the snow. By this time, she was so furious at him for agreeing to marry Jin Zhi that she was not at all impressed by his romantic gesture. And Murong Feng told her that he did not have a whole lot of time to perform small romantic gestures, but he promised that he will, little by little, accomplish everything that he promised her. Jing Wan, of course, was not moved by his speech, as she felt that by abandoning her, he had already broken those promises. Does this scene actually occur in the novel? If it did, then Murong Feng did have the potential to be romantic. Ha.


    Thanks for the wonderful behind the scenes pictures, JoleCole! I love Wallace's expression with his raised eyebrow while Li Xiao Ran is munching on her corn on the cob. He looks so goofy. It's always nice to see the stars have fun on the set. I suspect Wallace's personality is very funny and cheerful off screen. The two pictures of Wallace on half bent knees to lower himself to Li Xiao Ran's level in order to hug her are hilarious for some reason. I watched that particular scene again, and Li Xiao Ran did not seem that short. But apparently, she is much shorter than Wallace, even with what appears to be 3 or 4 inch heels. Sheesh, how tall is Wallace Chung? Another hilarious picture is the one with Wallace with his handkerchief wrapped around the lower part of his face! Haha, the guy looks tremendously cold. And so does Li Xiao Ran! I guess acting is hard work.

  12. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    839

    Default

    More pictures...

    Filming of intimate scenes:



    Romantic scenes:
    I find this picture heartbreaking




  13. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,097

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JoleCole View Post
    I don't know if JW was apprehensive of consummating their relationship; she certainly wasn't as ready as him. I just remember the next morning, JW refused to get out of bed and gave him the silence treatment. MRF asked her not to be mad at him anymore and he sweet talked his way out of the situation. JW, being very much in love with him, easily forgave him.
    I'm beginning to suspect all of you people here are professional writers. There's always a whole new lot of posts after half a day away from the computer. Do you guys type away at the computer all day?

    To put in my two pence, the reason that JW was reluctant to sleep with him on that first night is because they aren't even married then. As in the series, it was the day where she found him and he's overly excited that she forsake her marriage and came all this way to look for him. Being forced to consummate their marriage on that first night was certainly not on her agenda since in that era, pre-marital sex ensured a punishment drowning in pigsty cages. Moreover, for someone as traditional as JW, such behaviour is definitely taboo.

    He did sweet-talk her into forgiveness, but the main reason for this is because he had prepared their marriage documents beforehand, had details of her heritage, gender, name, witnesses and everything down and already signed his name, that she eventually forgave him. One does have to wonder though, whether he'd prepare those documents the day before, or did those papers rise out of the ashes in the second morning. It doesn't alter the fact he'd taken her by force, but at least that showed he had some sense of propriety.

    One of my fav scenes in the novel was during this sweet-talk. 'If you signed your name on those papers, you have to change your surname to Murong.' I thought that was so sweet.

  14. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,097

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Your comment about Murong wooing Jing Wan with poetry and love letters reminded me of a scene in episode 22 toward the end. Murong Feng took Jing Wan to dance upon the snow. By this time, she was so furious at him for agreeing to marry Jin Zhi that she was not at all impressed by his romantic gesture. And Murong Feng told her that he did not have a whole lot of time to perform small romantic gestures, but he promised that he will, little by little, accomplish everything that he promised her. Jing Wan, of course, was not moved by his speech, as she felt that by abandoning her, he had already broken those promises. Does this scene actually occur in the novel? If it did, then Murong Feng did have the potential to be romantic. Ha.
    I agree with you on this point. Murong Feng I believe does have a very romantic soul and his feelings for JW are deep. He exhibited a lot of romanticism from the beginning of the series; perhaps he picked that up while studying in Russia. I esp like this scene where he picked up the paper crane she made and tried to court her saying the cranes could speak foriegn languages. Also, the scene where he asked her why of all the flowers does she only favour orchids. I find his language very poetic, deserving of a literary scholar.

    In fact, I find most of his gestures toward JW quite romantic eg taking her to the tailor whom no-one else was taken except his passed mother, building the greenhouse for her and giving her a little puppy to cheer her up.

    To answer your question, the dancing scene doesn't happen in the novel. As I recalled, the plot jumped from her being locked up to her escapade right away.
    Last edited by Nefertari; 10-01-10 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Correcting ideas

  15. #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,097

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Thanks for the wonderful behind the scenes pictures, JoleCole! I love Wallace's expression with his raised eyebrow while Li Xiao Ran is munching on her corn on the cob. He looks so goofy.
    I love that picture as well. Seemed like Wallace was trying to be a comic relief on the set. I would be surprised if Xiao Ran didn't laugh out loud at that. Such a mischevious person he is.

    It's always nice to see the stars have fun on the set. I suspect Wallace's personality is very funny and cheerful off screen. The two pictures of Wallace on half bent knees to lower himself to Li Xiao Ran's level in order to hug her are hilarious for some reason. I watched that particular scene again, and Li Xiao Ran did not seem that short. But apparently, she is much shorter than Wallace, even with what appears to be 3 or 4 inch heels. Sheesh, how tall is Wallace Chung?
    I remember Wallace is pretty tall, around 180 cm. Xiao Ran I recalled was 164 cm, so I was a little surprised when she seemed to reach his height when they're side by side in the series. Now I understand why. Must be difficult for those tall male stars to hug/kiss their shorter co-stars and act natural at the same time. Acting does demand a lot.

    Hey by the way, did anyone tabulate how many times MRF carried JW in the show? I remember it's at least four times, considering I didn't watch all of it (not including the piggyback). I also remembered she successfully slapped him twice. And MRF slapped Su Ying once. Jingwan should have reserved her slaps for Jinzhi. Would have loved to see Jinzhi get her *** kicked. Funny I wasn't even that angry with Xu Jianzhang.

  16. #56
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,097

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JoleCole View Post

    I like this pic just as well. Although Xiao Ran had a weird look on her face since she's so cold. They really look like a loving, compatible couple. In the series, most of the times, they don't have the compatible look despite the good chemistry with each other.

    In this particular pic here, they seemed to have a connection.

  17. #57
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    839

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nefertari View Post
    I like this pic just as well. Although Xiao Ran had a weird look on her face since she's so cold. They really look like a loving, compatible couple. In the series, most of the times, they don't have the compatible look despite the good chemistry with each other.

    In this particular pic here, they seemed to have a connection.
    I think the freezing temperature helped them bond...HAHAHA...
    For some odd reasons, Li Xiao Ran sometimes looked great in the drama, other times she looked rather aged...well, at least older than Wallace Chung and she's a few years younger than him~! ...why does men usually age slower than women! so unfair! ...but of course, i should not be complaining since Wallace Chung as Murong Feng is great eye candy...

  18. #58
    Senior Member ChineseChik525's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    2,665

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JoleCole View Post
    I didn't realize Jingwan was this short compared to Murong Feng

    LOL and she's wearing heels too!! HAHA i find these two pictures so funny

    and WOW it must've been FREEZING! anyone have any idea where they were filming at the time with such cold temperatures?


  19. #59
    Senior Member LiYuanZhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    375

    Default

    WOW. You guys are amazing! I can't believe that I've been gone for a couple of days and you have written SO MUCH and it wasn't like just ramblings, but real analysis with depth and insight and... well, I'm kind of speechless. I'm so sorry that I won't really be able to contribute much, as I have exams coming up really soon so don't really have much time at the moment.

    BUT I will share a story with you.

    So how cold was it when they were filming, you ask? Very, would be my answer. You know the little puppy that MRF gave Jing wan? (In the novel, he gave her a baby tiger, but unfortunately, they had to change that in the series. The producers did try to borrow a baby tiger from the zoo, but they weren't allowed. Kudos still for their trying and really respecting the original novel by paying attention to detail.) Anyhow, so we had the puppy. But the very very sad thing was that in the short time that it took to film its few scenes, the puppy died due to the cold.

    I felt so sad about this that I watched the puppy scene like 10 times.
    门前若无东南西北路,此生可免悲欢离合情

  20. #60
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    839

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChineseChik525 View Post
    LOL and she's wearing heels too!! HAHA i find these two pictures so funny

    and WOW it must've been FREEZING! anyone have any idea where they were filming at the time with such cold temperatures?
    They filmed the fight scenes on a frozen river in Tieling, Liaoning Province (northeastern China aka Manchuria). I heard that the temperature was around -22 degree F or -30 degree C. That's FREAKIN' COLD...I'm definitely a hot climate gal...The coldest temperature I've ever been in is -10 degree C and I thought I was gonna freeze to death already. Kudos to the great cast and crew of this drama!

    More BTS photos:

    You'll never see Su Ying and Jin Zhi this lovey dovey in the drama...LOL


    Groofy Murong Feng

    Last edited by JoleCole; 10-01-10 at 10:14 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 178
    Last Post: 09-25-13, 12:58 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-13-09, 08:11 PM
  3. Zhao Wei--Thank You For Having Loved Me aka 谢谢你曾经爱过我
    By anonymous324 in forum Mainland China TV Series
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-15-08, 01:16 AM
  4. Bu De Bu Ai (不得不爱)
    By redfirefly124 in forum Music
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-21-06, 10:23 AM
  5. Ai Zai Lai Shi 爱在来时
    By qi_lin in forum Mainland China TV Series
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-09-06, 05:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •