Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Too Late To Say I Love You 《来不及说我爱你》 - Wallace Chung, Li Xiao Ran

Banned

"that scene was sooo touching and sad...I felt soo bad for Jingwan...seeing her soo happy when she heard Peilin's reply and knowing her fate later on... "
    same feeling!

Quote Originally Posted by xiaolong View Post
    I'll definitely buy this DVD when it comes out. I love series and movies set in min guo. There's something about that era which evokes so much emotion, growth and sadness because it's the first time that the Han Chinese were truly discovering their identity after being under Manchu rule for 300 years, yet also a time of political upheaval with the coming Japanese invasion and civil war. China was so torn during this era. Think The Soong Sisters, Revolution, Ba Jin! One of my favourite recent HK series is Pretty Maid (script written by Mainland's brilliant Yu Zheng) also set in min guo. And I'm awaiting Fog of Dragons, another upcoming min guo series with Yuan Hong as the lead.
    I have to agree! I usually watch ancient series and avoid modern series; Min Guo series are sort of "in between" but they have such a unique feel. Very romantic and tragic, with sort of a "hazy" feel to it...hard to describe, but like you said, it evokes so much emotion.

Unfortunately I feel like every single Min Guo series is way too tragic for me. I just can't take that much grief! I suppose it makes sense as it takes place during a time of war/impending war and political instability...but I just want a happy ending, dammit!

From the sound of it, this one looks like a tragedy too, so even though it looks really good I don't think I'll watch it just now...this will probably go on my "to-watch" list though (which still has a few I've never gotten around to because I dreaded the sad endings, like "Xiang Wu Xiang Yu Xiang Feng" and "Jin Fen Shi Jia", both of which I only watched bits and pieces of back in the day).

Quote Originally Posted by mango_cake View Post
    I
    Unfortunately I feel like every single Min Guo series is way too tragic for me. I just can't take that much grief! I suppose it makes sense as it takes place during a time of war/impending war and political instability...but I just want a happy ending, dammit!

From the sound of it, this one looks like a tragedy too, so even though it looks really good I don't think I'll watch it just now...this will probably go on my "to-watch" list though (which still has a few I've never gotten around to because I dreaded the sad endings, like "Xiang Wu Xiang Yu Xiang Feng" and "Jin Fen Shi Jia", both of which I only watched bits and pieces of back in the day).
    Hi mango_cake, let me reassure you that the ending is hopeful =D...so GO WATCH...lol...I researched the ending before investing my time in this drama..and i don't regret putting time to watch it at all...like you...i dread unhappy endings...it tears my heart to pieces to watch deeply in love people not end up together...

Anyone who's interested should check out two very good fanmade MV of this drama...I got my friend interested by showing this video..lol

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/UBJWPQyyuyc/
    http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/Clz-BI-3cOg/
    Last edited by JoleCole; 09-28-10 at 02:21 AM.

Wow, those are some awesome MVs! Thanks for posting them!
    门前若无东南西北路,此生可免悲欢离合情

Smile

I have just finished this series! It's quite good and entertaining. I even got my mom hooked on the handsome Wallace Chung!

click to show/hide spoilers
    I've been reading posts, both here and at the Wallace Chung thread, about how different Murong Feng is in the series compared to the novel and how the ending is different. Now I'm really curious. We know that the series made the ending happy, warm, and fuzzy. However, what really happened in the novel? I'm Chinese illiterate and cannot read the novel, so if anyone could provide a brief explanation of what happened in the novel, I would greatly appreciate it! From the various posts, it sounds like the Murong Fung in the novel never regretted his decision to abandon Jing Wan. Did he ever love her, truly love her, in the novel? Did she try to escape him the night before his wedding to Cheng Jin Zhi? Did he scour the city looking for Jing Wan like a man in love who couldn't stand to lose the woman he loved? In the series, after Jing Wan left, Murong didn't really do much to try to look for her. I know he missed her terribly, to the extent of marrying a Jing Wan lookalike just so he could pretend he was with "Jing Wan" again. But Murong never resorted to dishonorable tactics to look for her or to win her back. However, I read in some posts that he resorted to shady tactics to win her back in the actual novel. What exactly did he do? And how hard did he try to get Jing Wan back in the novel? In the novel, did she ever forgive in the end? What happened to Jing Wan and Murong Feng in the end? I have so many more questions I want to ask and say about this series, but I don't have time tonight, so I guess I'll come back another time.

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    I have just finished this series! It's quite good and entertaining. I even got my mom hooked on the handsome Wallace Chung!

I've been reading posts, both here and at the Wallace Chung thread, about how different Murong Feng is in the series compared to the novel and how the ending is different. Now I'm really curious. We know that the series made the ending happy, warm, and fuzzy. However, what really happened in the novel? I'm Chinese illiterate and cannot read the novel, so if anyone could provide a brief explanation of what happened in the novel, I would greatly appreciate it! From the various posts, it sounds like the Murong Fung in the novel never regretted his decision to abandon Jing Wan. Did he ever love her, truly love her, in the novel? Did she try to escape him the night before his wedding to Cheng Jin Zhi? Did he scour the city looking for Jing Wan like a man in love who couldn't stand to lose the woman he loved? In the series, after Jing Wan left, Murong didn't really do much to try to look for her. I know he missed her terribly, to the extent of marrying a Jing Wan lookalike just so he could pretend he was with "Jing Wan" again. But Murong never resorted to dishonorable tactics to look for her or to win her back. However, I read in some posts that he resorted to shady tactics to win her back in the actual novel. What exactly did he do? And how hard did he try to get Jing Wan back in the novel? In the novel, did she ever forgive in the end? What happened to Jing Wan and Murong Feng in the end? I have so many more questions I want to ask and say about this series, but I don't have time tonight, so I guess I'll come back another time.
    In the drama, Murong Feng never gave up looking for Jingwan. I remembered two scenes where he discussed his search for Jingwan with his aide-de-camp Shen. But Shen replied that there's still no sign of her whereabouts. I guess the reason why Murong Feng in the drama never used drastic measures to find/win Jingwan back cuz he knows those tactics wouldn't work on her, but would only cause further rift/harm to their relationship. He still feel remorseful for what he did to her.

As for the novel, I never read whole novel in details but just bits and pieces cuz the ending is WAY too depressing for me. I know in both novel and drama Murong Feng ended up regretting his decision to give up Jingwan. Based on what i read about the novel, there were originally three different endings.

1. Jingwan and Xinzhi ended up marrying and live happily with their daughter
    2. Murong Feng wanted to take Jingwan back, so he planned to have Xinzhi killed off in a car accident. But his men thought their commander was too obsessed with Jingwan and she ended up somehow in the car and got killed.
    3. Murong Feng planned the car accident and both Xinzhi and daughter got killed. Jingwan was devastated and killed herself in front of Murong Feng with the handgun he gave her. So, Murong Feng lived the rest of his life in misery and remorse from losing Jingwan....

Honestly, I hate all three endings of the original novel. I didn't like the fact that Jingwan married Xinzhi (no offense to Xinzhi). I know he's a good guy and all, but he's the brother of Murong Feng's second wife. My gosh...marrying a person also meant marrying your "in-laws"...well..in a sense....Murong Feng went from being Jingwan's husband to "brother-in-law"...so awkward and kinda weird ...so if she had better discretion, i wouldn't marry into that family and try to severe all ties with them if i wanted to start a new life again!!!
    Last edited by JoleCole; 09-28-10 at 09:02 PM.

MRF was very much in love with JW in the novel, and 'regretted' his decision, in the sense that he wanted her back. The big difference was that in the series, he was FORCED to choose Jin Zhi, because if he didn't, all his troops will die and civilians will suffer. In the books, he was winning the battle, he only forged an alliance with the Chen Family so that he could win over the southern states more quickly (in the book, then Chens were not subordinates of his but were a prominent, wealthy and politically-connected family). So the fact is, in the novel, he was in no immediate danger, and he didn't really need the Chen family, except that he wanted to hasten his rise to power. So different circumstances.

He searched for Jingwan, found her, she miscarried, and then left with Xin Zhi to go overseas. In the epilogue, eight years later, Xin Zhi and Jing Wan return, and MRF finds out that they were married. Then we get the three different endings.
    门前若无东南西北路,此生可免悲欢离合情

Smile

Thanks to JoleCole and LYZ for the explanations of what happened in the novel! I didn't expect such fast responses.

Am I the only one who prefers the novel ending, or more specifically novel ending #3 listed by JoleCole? I know most people want a happy ending, like the one in the series. After all, it's such a romantic ending. Jing Wan finds an amnesiac Murong Feng after 7 years, one who cannot remember any aspect of their life together until she drops his pocket watch onto the ground. And all his memories, his undying love for Jing Wan, comes flooding back. Jing Wan and Murong Feng are finally together, without any obstacles (Jin Zhi and her unborn child, for example).

But honestly, I think the series makes it too easy for Murong Feng! He does not deserve a happy ending with Jing Wan, not after what he did to her! In the novel version, he certainly did not deserve happiness with her, given that he gave her up and brought such emotional pain to her for such selfish reasons. However, even in the series when he had to give her up for the "greater good," I still think he doesn't deserve a happy ending with her. Call me hard-hearted and unreasonable, but I had never put much stock in excuses like "he did it for the greater good." In stories and series, men are always sacrificing the women they love "for the greater good" or "for their country." I say it's all excuses for weak-willed men. If he can't even protect and properly love the most important person in his life, then what kind of man is he? What right does he have to go around spouting things like, "I HAD to sacrifice her. Boo hoo. Sob sob. I did it for the greater good." A true hero protects his woman first, puts her first above all else. And then, if he has extra time, he can think about his country, etc. Of course, this is just my own angry opinion. I just simply cannot muster up any sympathy for Murong Feng, in the novel or in the series. He has chosen to give up Jing Wan, for whatever reason, so he has to live with his decision. There is no turning back. And Jing Wan should NOT forgive him. She miscarried because of his decision to abandon her. How can any woman forgive such a man? Therefore, I think novel ending #3 is perfect. Murong Feng needs to be punished in the worst way possible, by witnessing Jing Wan kill herself in front of him with the very pistol he gave her to protect herself. He needs to spend the rest of life in misery knowing how his decisions, selfish or not, brought about the death of the one person he loves most in the world. Sorry, everyone. I'm just angry at how Murong Feng treated Jing Wan and how Jing Wan just simply forgave him in the series.

Thanks to JoleCole and LYZ for the explanations of what happened in the novel! I didn't expect such fast responses.

Am I the only one who prefers the novel ending, or more specifically novel ending #3 listed by JoleCole? I know most people want a happy ending, like the one in the series. After all, it's such a romantic ending. Jing Wan finds an amnesiac Murong Feng after 7 years, one who cannot remember any aspect of their life together until she drops his pocket watch onto the ground. And all his memories, his undying love for Jing Wan, comes flooding back. Jing Wan and Murong Feng are finally together, without any obstacles (Jin Zhi and her unborn child, for example).

But honestly, I think the series makes it too easy for Murong Feng! He does not deserve a happy ending with Jing Wan, not after what he did to her! In the novel version, he certainly did not deserve happiness with her, given that he gave her up and brought such emotional pain to her for such selfish reasons. However, even in the series when he had to give her up for the "greater good," I still think he doesn't deserve a happy ending with her. Call me hard-hearted and unreasonable, but I had never put much stock in excuses like "he did it for the greater good." In stories and series, men are always sacrificing the women they love "for the greater good" or "for their country." I say it's all excuses for weak-willed men. If he can't even protect and properly love the most important person in his life, then what kind of man is he? What right does he have to go around spouting things like, "I HAD to sacrifice her. Boo hoo. Sob sob. I did it for the greater good." A true hero protects his woman first, puts her first above all else. And then, if he has extra time, he can think about his country, etc. Of course, this is just my own angry opinion. I just simply cannot muster up any sympathy for Murong Feng, in the novel or in the series. He has chosen to give up Jing Wan, for whatever reason, so he has to live with his decision. There is no turning back. And Jing Wan should NOT forgive him. She miscarried because of his decision to abandon her. How can any woman forgive such a man? Therefore, I think novel ending #3 is perfect. Murong Feng needs to be punished in the worst way possible, by witnessing Jing Wan kill herself in front of him with the very pistol he gave her to protect herself. He needs to spend the rest of life in misery knowing how his decisions, selfish or not, brought about the death of the one person he loves most in the world. Sorry, everyone. I'm just angry at how Murong Feng treated Jing Wan and how Jing Wan just simply forgave him in the series.
    Wow, that was quite a heated debate going on here! Seriously, I don't exactly like the endings in the novel or in the series, but I'd vote for the series's ending if I have to choose, NOT because Murong Feng deserves sympathy, but basically because Jingwan deserves happiness after longing for so long. I feel Murong Feng definitely shouldn't be forgiven for the way he abandoned Jingwan.

Murong Feng is more deserving with Su Ying and Jingwan would be best left alone, living as an independent, radical woman ahead of her times and celebrated as a public figure. MRF and SY made a very funny couple together.

I feel Jinzhi had it too easy for her in the series. If I'm Jingwan, would certainly have hated her for what she had done.

From a woman's standpoint, I agree that MRF should not be forgiven so easily and need to suffer more...But for selfish reasons as a viewer, I want a HAPPY ENDING...I dislike tragic endings because I tend to get very absorbed into the storyline and such a sad ending would make me depressed for awhile...it's a like a bad aftertaste after eating something gross...that's why I would actually research about a drama ending first before investing my time in watching it...i know...i'm a little weird..haha.. I only gave Too Late to say I Love You a chance when i read an article saying the director changed the original ending to something more hopeful...

Quote Originally Posted by Nefertari View Post

I feel Jinzhi had it too easy for her in the series. If I'm Jingwan, would certainly have hated her for what she had done.
    Absolutely agree with you on Jinzhi! She was so spoiled...Jingwan was way too nice to Jinzhi after what that woman did to her! If I were Jingwan, i wouldn't have forgiven her so easily...She gave MRF a hard time, she should do the same to Jinzhi...when Jinzhi came to see Jingwan and warn her not to wreak her 'happy family life'...couldn't believe she even had the audacity to ask...she deserved a good slap...lol...talk about a hypocrite...if i had a chance to rewrite the story...i would totally have Jingwan steal MRF back just to spite Jinzhi..haha...let her taste a dose of her own medicine...my imagination is running a bit wild...haha..But then I also pity her....she's soo blinded by her own pride and ability...just can't accept "no" for an answer...

A little novel trivia...i read somewhere that the children of Murong Feng and Jinzhi in the novel all have the character "qing" (清)...that character is formed by the radical "water in Murong Feng ((沣) and "green" (青) in Jingwan(静)。 Thought that was rather interesting...
    Last edited by JoleCole; 09-28-10 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JoleCole View Post
    From a woman's standpoint, I agree that MRF should not be forgiven so easily and need to suffer more...But for selfish reasons as a viewer, I want a HAPPY ENDING...I dislike tragic endings because I tend to get very absorbed into the storyline and such a sad ending would make me depressed for awhile...it's a like a bad aftertaste after eating something gross...that's why I would actually research about a drama ending first before investing my time in watching it...i know...i'm a little weird..haha.. I only gave Too Late to say I Love You a chance when i read an article saying the director changed the original ending to something more hopeful...
    Eh, so nice to have discussion with you gals because everyone replies so fast. I was quite surprised since it's not even weekend yet, but then talking about this series just gets people started. Anyway, thanks for being so responsive.

JoleCole, I actually feel the same as you regarding tragic endings. If I watch a tragic series, with one of the leads dying or if there's unrequited love, I usually end up with withdrawal symptoms eg thinking about the show before going to sleep, waking up with the tragic scenes in mind, thinking about the song during work. Then have to watch parts of the series again to get it over with.

In TLTSILY, I find some of the important parts too fast. If the pace is slowed down a little in just a few parts, and elaborated more with some deliberation, the effect would be more lasting and the build-up would be steadier. The series somehow gave the feeling that there're many cut-out scenes. For the ending, I feel it's a bit abrupt. Jingwan took such a long journey to find MRF, only to find that he's amnesiac. Then all of a sudden, he remembered everything just feeling the watch. Though it's convincing because their love was so deep, I hoped the plot would have him work through a little to bring his memory back. Or at least Jingwan should stay by his side and help work his memory, then have him suddenly remember everything, then the effect would be greater.

Absolutely agree with you on Jinzhi! She was so spoiled...Jingwan was way too nice to Jinzhi after what that woman did to her! If I were Jingwan, i wouldn't have forgiven her so easily...She gave MRF a hard time, she should do the same to Jinzhi...when Jinzhi came to see Jingwan and warn her not to wreak her 'happy family life'...couldn't believe she even had the audacity to ask...she deserved a good slap...lol...talk about a hypocrite...if i had a chance to rewrite the story...i would totally have Jingwan steal MRF back just to spite Jinzhi..haha...let her taste a dose of her own medicine...my imagination is running a bit wild...haha..But then I also pity her....she's soo blinded by her own pride and ability...just can't accept "no" for an answer...
    Jinzhi represents the part of female character that I absolutely dislike. Jealousy, spite, scheme, over-ambition and doesn't care about hurting another female as long as she gets what she wants- all in one package. Couldn't get any worse. I like her suaveness in the beginning of the show, but her coldness towards Jingwan and inability to admit Jingwan as a worthy rival in love lowers her self-worth in audiences' eyes. Qi Fang acted the part really really well. At times, I wonder if she took on the role of Jingwan would she be able to portray the qualities as well as she did Jinzhi's.

I thought the exact same way as you! If the story wasn't based on the novel, I'd have Jingwan do something to avenge herself like in Cruel Wife's Temptation hee hee. I really enjoy the scenes where Jinzhi was annoyed by Su Ying. Even though, Jinzhi recognized Su Ying's ploy to irritate her mentally, she couldn't control her emotions and ended up shooting Su Ying. Su Ying has a lot of bad qualities, but I ended up liking her a lot since she's so funny.

A little novel trivia...i read somewhere that the children of Murong Feng and Jinzhi in the novel all have the character "qing" (清)...that character is formed by the radical "water in Murong Feng ((沣) and "green" (青) in Jingwan(静)。 Thought that was rather interesting...
    This is something really interesting that you brought up that I do not know of. Since this story is written after Yu Sui, Fei Wo Si Cun must have worked in reverse order and came up with MRF and Jingwan's names to explain the earlier. This is really poignant, having children named after an unfulfilled love.

Smile

I agree that happy endings are much easier to stomach. After all, who wouldn't want to see Jing Wan, after all the trials and tribulations she has gone through, to end up happily ever after? However, I only want a happy ending for her with someone who truly deserves her love, someone like Cheng Xin Zhi. He stuck with her, through thick and thin, whereas Mr. I-love-you-but-still-need-to-abandon-you-for-the-greater-good-blah-blah Murong Feng dropped Jing Wan, a woman who dearly loved him and sacrificed her ties to her beloved family for him, at the first test of their love. Sure, one could argue that, no matter how undeserving of her love Murong Feng is, HE is nevertheless the one that Jing Wan wants and therefore she should end up with him just so poor Jing Wan could finally be happy. But I think Jing Wan is strong enough to be happy without Murong Feng. As Nefertari mentioned earlier, she is probably better off as an independent forward thinking woman of her times. And if she chooses to share her life with a lucky man, then that lucky man SHOULD NOT be Murong Feng!

With regards to Cheng Jin Zhi, I absolutely agree that the woman is a total disgrace to us women! I dislike everything about her - her cockiness, her spite, her disregard of whom she hurts, her selfishness (basically everything Nefertari mentioned about her). She even hurts the one person she claims to love - Murong Feng. If she truly loves him, she would wake up and see how happy and how much in love he is with Jing Wan and just set him free so he could be with the person he loves. Interestingly, people who are overconfident and cocky with self-proclaimed superior intelligence tend to have an over abundance of pride. And yet, Jin Zhi certainly seems like she has no pride at all. Look at how many times Murong Feng screams at her and points his pistol at her in anger. Look at the numerous times he tells her, to her face, that he only loves Jing Wan. And yet, she continues to hang on to him. I don't know if she's delusional or just simply not as smart as she thinks she is.

It would be quite satisfying to see Jing Wan come back and seduce and steal Murong Feng away from Jin Zhi. If anything, I just want to wipe that smugness off her face! It would be the ultimate punishment for Jin Zhi if Murong Feng denounced his union with her just so Jing Wan would be with him again. However, that would mean that Jing Wan would end up with Murong Feng again, and I really don't like that. Like I mentioned above, Murong Feng simply does not deserve her back. Therefore, I think the ultimate punishment for both Jin Zhi and Murong Feng would be for them to be stuck with each other for their rest of their long, long, unhappy lives. Murong Feng would be miserable with a woman he does not love, while forever pining away for someone he can never have. And Jin Zhi, though still married to Murong, will have to witness, every single hour of the day, the man she loves long for another woman. And to add to Jin Zhi's misery, Su Ying (my favorite character) should not have died. Su Ying should be kept alive to irritate and tick off Jin Zhi every waking hour of her life! Haha!

JoleCole - Thanks for the tidbit about Murong's children's names. It's quite enlightening, as it's a very subtle but telling sign of how much Murong loves Jing Wan.

@Melanie: you crack me up! hahahaha...I think if i were Jingwan in real life, it would be very difficult for me to go back to Murong Feng too and would probably choose Xin Zhi..But then I have double standards for stories/dramas...lol...I always think main characters in love with each other should always end up together...or at least 98% of the times...yes yes...stubborn me...in very few cases would i root for a secondary male lead to get together with the main girl...

In the end, I sorta forgave MRF( drama version) cuz he became so pitiful after Jingwan left him. 7-8 long years in a miserable marriage and loneliness...yearning everyday to see the woman he loved but has no idea if he would ever get to see her again. Then finally when his wish came true, he goes off to war and disppears for 8 years. I think by the time they reunite...he's in his 40s already! As for Xinzhi, I just wish the writer could give him someone else he can end up happily. At least he got to see the woman he loved almost everyday for 17 years...while MRF got to see Jinzhi (now that's just bloody dreadful and the ultimate torture) and always couldn't even go home cuz of the she-devil...HAHAHA...

And to add to Jin Zhi's misery, Su Ying (my favorite character) should not have died. Su Ying should be kept alive to irritate and tick off Jin Zhi every waking hour of her life! Haha!
    I love Su Ying!! She was soo entertaining...without her, the last few episodes would be sooo hard to watch.
    Last edited by JoleCole; 09-29-10 at 03:59 AM.

Hahaha, somehow I agree with everything you gals said despite clashing opinions and attitudes.

I have a soft spot for MRF in this series because it was acted well by Wallace Chung. His look of pre-occupation and longing when he takes Su Ying to be Jingwan. Yeah, somehow I did root for him to be together with Jingwan because of destiny.

I like the process where he was slowly 'forgiven'. Jingwan refused to go back to him at first, but after some trails and tribulations, she probably realised he's the one fated to be with her despite all his misgivings.

By logic, Jingwan does deserve to be with Xinzhi. Their personalities are also more compatible. Let's think of it this way then: MRF and Jingwan knew each other from their previous lives and are fated to be together and perhaps Jingwan owed MRF previously and had to pay-back then. So life is fair after all.......... I'm open for killing for saying this.

Yes like you gals, I totally love Su Ying too. Thumbs up for annoying the hell out of Jinzhi.

I have a soft spot for MRF in this series because it was acted well by Wallace Chung. His look of pre-occupation and longing when he takes Su Ying to be Jingwan. Yeah, somehow I did root for him to be together with Jingwan because of destiny.
    Wallace Chung as MRF definitely helps me forgive him!!! LOL...(i'm gonna get smashed for sounding so superficial)....I thought he suited the role to perfection. Even though MRF can be a jerk, I still want him and Jingwan together. I guess I like flawed but interesting characters. For me Jin Zhi is too perfect and too good to be true that I find him boring to watch....cuz I can always predict his behavior...hahaha...

Smile

You know, this is just too funny, but I am re-reading Nefertari's comment earlier on about her withdrawal symptoms with tragic endings and about how she mulls over them before going to sleep and then wakes up with those tragic scenes in her mind... Well, I am exactly the opposite. I don't mind tragic endings, if they make sense and are done well. In fact, I will obsessively nitpick at a couple's ending if I feel that the man is too easily forgiven by the woman for his wrongdoings! In fact, if an ending ticks me off enough, I will even go as far as write a fanfic/story about that couple, just so I can place those actors in different roles with a different ending that I deem suitable for them. Also, I think bittersweet endings leave a longer lasting impression in the audience's mind. Just look at poor Nefertari, for instance. A tragic ending drives her nuts, stays in her mind like an annoying itch, and propels her to re-watch the scenes again and again. Do you see my point? The story's bittersweet ending has done its job! By being bittersweet and sad, it has lingered longer in her mind!

I think most people who frequent the Wallace Chung thread will realize that I think the guy is hot stuff. So I completely agree with Nefertari and JoleCole; the fact that Murong Feng is played by Wallace Chung makes the character Murong so much more bearable, despite his flaws. Wallace is just too handsome and I can't bear being too angry at the man. After all, he's just doing his job and playing a role in a series. However, if Murong Feng were played by any other guy (with a few exceptions like hot Yuan Hong, for example) and if Jing Wan must forgive Murong, then I would want to see her string him up by the thumbs for a few days, shave off his eyebrows, clobber him on the head a few times, ignore him for another year, and make him go down on his knees before forgiving him. Of course, I would prefer that she never forgive him. Hey, don't misunderstand me. I'm actually a very nice person. But there are some things I deem as unforgivable and there should be no second chances.

I do like flawed characters, just like JoleCole. They are more interesting than perfect goody goody ones, like Xin Zhi. That is why I am spending so much time discussing Murong Feng but have hardly devoted a few sentences to Xin Zhi, since he's so boring.

Su Ying is just awesome! Li Xiao Ren did a wonderful job as the highly irritating Su Ying. I couldn't stop applauding at how well she switched between the quiet, serious, long-suffering Jing Wan to the audaciously naughty and taunting Su Ying. If there is justice in the world, then Su Ying and Cheng Jin Zhi would be trapped on deserted island for a few months! Haha! I would like to see Jin Zhi yank out her hair in frustration.

As for Murong Feng, I do think the guy became quite pitiful after he lost Jing Wan. If I think Jin Zhi is delusional in her confidence that she can make Murong love her, then Murong is even more delusional and sad in trying to live in his happier memories by using Su Ying as his "Jing Wan." When I see him pretend Su Ying is Jing Wan, I shake my finger at him and say, "It serves you right, buddy. Don't expect sympathy from me." And then I stick my tongue out at him. Take that, Murong Feng!

Wallace Chung as MRF definitely helps me forgive him!!! LOL...(i'm gonna get smashed for sounding so superficial)....I thought he suited the role to perfection. Even though MRF can be a jerk, I still want him and Jingwan together. I guess I like flawed but interesting characters. For me Jin Zhi is too perfect and too good to be true that I find him boring to watch....cuz I can always predict his behavior...hahaha...
    Definitely! Wallace Chung is one of the best actors around these days. A pity that I didn't notice him earlier when he came out in the 90s. The irony is I did notice his name quite frequently, but I mistook him as one of those pop idols who did not really have any real talent behind their flashy, glamourous image hyped on by their management companies, so I choose not to pay attention. Gosh, I was so wrong. I read the story behind his success and couldn't admire the guy more. His easy-go-lucky personality really fools people into thinking his life is a bed of roses, which is never further away from truth.

I just noticed JoleCole has only made 8 posts. I reckon these posts must be either on Wallace or TLTSILY coz I haven't seen you made posts on other threads. Such a good fan of this series.

You know, this is just too funny, but I am re-reading Nefertari's comment earlier on about her withdrawal symptoms with tragic endings and about how she mulls over them before going to sleep and then wakes up with those tragic scenes in her mind... Well, I am exactly the opposite. I don't mind tragic endings, if they make sense and are done well. In fact, I will obsessively nitpick at a couple's ending if I feel that the man is too easily forgiven by the woman for his wrongdoings! In fact, if an ending ticks me off enough, I will even go as far as write a fanfic/story about that couple, just so I can place those actors in different roles with a different ending that I deem suitable for them. Also, I think bittersweet endings leave a longer lasting impression in the audience's mind. Just look at poor Nefertari, for instance. A tragic ending drives her nuts, stays in her mind like an annoying itch, and propels her to re-watch the scenes again and again. Do you see my point? The story's bittersweet ending has done its job! By being bittersweet and sad, it has lingered longer in her mind!
    Wow, Melanie you could definitely write an essay. Wish I had that talent. It always takes me a moment or two to write down the words I want said, instead of putting down ideas on and on like you. I mean, that's a good thing. You're very engaging and as JoleCole said, you make people laugh. So you write fanfics as well? Must have a lot of passion for writing to do that. Maybe you could write a script someday. I'm usually too lazy to develop any story I have in my mind, though I write short reviews on shows that I like.

There used to be a period where I enjoyed tragic plots. For example, Feng Cui Bian Guan with Gao 00 and Li Zonghan. LZH's character died and I just couldn't get over how likeable his noble character was and what a purist he was in love. You are definitely right in saying tragic plots have their say in marketing power in that they leave a lasting impression in people's minds and invoke questions like 'What if?' and 'Could it be this way?'. In that respect, I prefer Mainland China works compared to the stereotypical Korean melodrama.

if Jing Wan must forgive Murong, then I would want to see her string him up by the thumbs for a few days, shave off his eyebrows, clobber him on the head a few times, ignore him for another year, and make him go down on his knees before forgiving him. Of course, I would prefer that she never forgive him. Hey, don't misunderstand me. I'm actually a very nice person. But there are some things I deem as unforgivable and there should be no second chances.
    Hahaha, that would be such a funny scene. I would definitely like to see something more intense, have Jingwan reject MRF continually and make him suffer through I-am-near-you-but-you-just-can't-have-me-back. MRF should go mad for a while, resort to drastic measures to get rid of Jinzhi eg beat her up, blow out her head. Jingwan realizes what a nutcase he'd be without her and eventually forgives him for the greater good.

Su Ying is just awesome! Li Xiao Ren did a wonderful job as the highly irritating Su Ying. I couldn't stop applauding at how well she switched between the quiet, serious, long-suffering Jing Wan to the audaciously naughty and taunting Su Ying. If there is justice in the world, then Su Ying and Cheng Jin Zhi would be trapped on deserted island for a few months! Haha! I would like to see Jin Zhi yank out her hair in frustration.
    That will be an awesome spin-off! When Su Ying appears, she just gives hope that she will become the nemesis of Jinzhi - Jingwan's look-alike but with totally opposite character. And indeed, she did not disappoint. I like the fact that even though she's the lesser wife, she held on to her stand and announced to Jinzhi that she's not afraid of her, something that Jingwan should have done. Both of them on a deserted island would have warranted the greatest cat-fight in the world and of course, would like to see Su Ying win all the time. So what if Jinzhi has military training? Serves her right for stealing another's husband!

I just noticed JoleCole has only made 8 posts. I reckon these posts must be either on Wallace or TLTSILY coz I haven't seen you made posts on other threads. Such a good fan of this series.
    hahahaha...i purposely registered to comment about this drama...lol...needed an outlet to share my thoughts. All my posts are dedicated to TLTSILY.

Right now I wish I have an English subtitled version of this drama..so I can introduce it to my non-Mandarin speaking friends...or Cantonese would be good too...I know they're airing an Cantonese version in Guangzhou right now. I wonder where i can download it.

MRF should go mad for a while, resort to drastic measures to get rid of Jinzhi eg beat her up, blow out her head. Jingwan realizes what a nutcase he'd be without her and eventually forgives him for the greater good.
    OMG...that would awesome to see that play out...HAHAHA...I thought MRF was on the verge of losing his mind if Jingwan didn't come back sooner. He was totally obsessed with her. I pity the poor guy when Su Ying died. I honestly think Jin Zhi had too good of an ending. She needed to suffer more before dying! For her own selfish reasons, she caused many innocent people/soldiers to perish. I wanted to slap that smugness off her face...her overconfidence was overbearing.
    Last edited by JoleCole; 09-30-10 at 01:26 AM.

Smile

Wow, Melanie you could definitely write an essay. Wish I had that talent. It always takes me a moment or two to write down the words I want said, instead of putting down ideas on and on like you. I mean, that's a good thing. You're very engaging and as JoleCole said, you make people laugh. So you write fanfics as well? Must have a lot of passion for writing to do that. Maybe you could write a script someday. I'm usually too lazy to develop any story I have in my mind, though I write short reviews on shows that I like.
    Oops. I do have the tendency to talk too much sometimes. Thanks, I have never considered myself engaging and funny, but I guess those are good attributes to have. I do write a fanfic, as a matter of fact. I think I take the time to write stories because I really enjoy it. It really started out as a fun side project but continued because of my very supportive and kind readers. Unfortunately, I do not have the funds to just sit and write all day, which is what I truly want to do. Concocting stories is my first love, but it doesn't pay the bills, so I have a real job. I guess my job requires that I be engaging and funny, so I'm glad you and JoleCole find my posts entertaining to read. Thanks.

Hahaha, that would be such a funny scene. I would definitely like to see something more intense, have Jingwan reject MRF continually and make him suffer through I-am-near-you-but-you-just-can't-have-me-back. MRF should go mad for a while, resort to drastic measures to get rid of Jinzhi eg beat her up, blow out her head. Jingwan realizes what a nutcase he'd be without her and eventually forgives him for the greater good.
    Whoa! That's a wonderful idea, the part about Murong going nuts and finally pulling the trigger on Jin Zhi for once. I also like the part about Jing Wan going back to Murong "for the greater good!" Haha! That's quite funny, in an ironic way. Murong had to give up Jing Wan "for the greater good." And Jing Wan had to return to his side "for the greater good."

That will be an awesome spin-off! When Su Ying appears, she just gives hope that she will become the nemesis of Jinzhi - Jingwan's look-alike but with totally opposite character. And indeed, she did not disappoint. I like the fact that even though she's the lesser wife, she held on to her stand and announced to Jinzhi that she's not afraid of her, something that Jingwan should have done. Both of them on a deserted island would have warranted the greatest cat-fight in the world and of course, would like to see Su Ying win all the time. So what if Jinzhi has military training? Serves her right for stealing another's husband!
    Su Ying was the lesser wife, but she had an enormous upper hand - her looks. Because she looked like Jing Wan, Murong pretty much chose to turn a blind eye to most of her actions. He would really do anything to keep his "Jing Wan" by his side. If the deserted island scenario truly happened, then, in addition to the awesome cat fight between Su Ying and Jin Zhi, we would also be given the opportunity see one pissed-off and very, very jealous Jin Zhi when Murong came running toward Su Ying rather than to Jin Zhi when they were finally found.

Right now I wish I have an English subtitled version of this drama..so I can introduce it to my non-Mandarin speaking friends...or Cantonese would be good too...I know they're airing an Cantonese version in Guangzhou right now. I wonder where i can download it.
    I think Wallace's native dialect is Cantonese. I hope the Cantonese version has his real voice.

OMG...that would awesome to see that play out...HAHAHA...I thought MRF was on the verge of losing his mind if Jingwan didn't come back sooner. He was totally obsessed with her. I pity the poor guy when Su Ying died. I honestly think Jin Zhi had too good of an ending. She needed to suffer more before dying! For her own selfish reasons, she caused many innocent people/soldiers to perish. I wanted to slap that smugness off her face...her overconfidence was overbearing.
    It's interesting that you should say Murong Feng was on the verge of losing his mind toward the end, pining away for Jing Wan. Remember that scene where he trashed the greenhouse when he thought Jing Wan was with Xin Zhi? And immediately afterward, he angrily demanded his second-in-command to look for Jing Wan's whereabouts? Well, I wonder how the situation would have played out if Jing Wan didn't get captured by Jin Zhi, allowing Murong Feng to run to her rescue, leading to her forgiving him for his past actions. If Murong had found Jing Wan first, would he try to keep her with him by force by locking her up again and boarding up the windows like years ago? Would he attempt to rape her? Something about Murong's sexual aggressiveness toward Jing Wan bothered me in the earlier episodes, especially in the middle part of the series when she was furious at him for abandoning her. She was obviously infuriated at him, and his sexual advances toward her weren't going to smooth out the situation. And yet, he assaulted her anyway. That just kind of bothered me a bit about his character. Nobody mentioned this, so I suppose I was the only one bothered by this behavior.