Thread: Baker King, Kim Tak Goo (Spoilers)

Default Baker King, Kim Tak Goo (Spoilers)

King of Baking, Kim Tak Goo is a really good drama. I think it has a well-written and thoughtout storyline. The setup of the story takes up episodes 1-6 (which goes through 12 years and another 12 year time jump) and then ep 6 and onwards is Kim Tak Goo's own journey to become a great baker with a special talent in smelling. But the storyline is pretty old school where the bad guys are the official wife, her son and her consort vs KTG the son of the mistress. You can't help but root for Tak Goo and watch how he triumphs over all evils and obstacles in his way.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by botan View Post
    How far have you watched up to Suet Seung? I'm on episode 27. I agree, I think it's really good too and I like the cast. My only complaint is Eugene, which I think is a miscast for the role of Yuu Kyung. I don't mind her as an actress but I think she looks so much older than Yoon Shi Yoon and Joo Won and they are all suppose to be the same age. She even looks older than Ma Jun's two older sisters. Kind of awkward. I also don't understand her character either. From the description, it says she is a villainess but I don't really see any development in that.

I'm looking forward to Mary Skipped the Curfew too. I was so happy to read that MGY confirmed the lead role in that drama.

Suet Seung, you can find the article about MGY confirming the role here: http://www.dramabeans.com/2010/09/mo...out-all-night/
    By the way, who were you referring to as 'freaky lips' in BOF?

@Botan:
    The reason Eugene looks older than both Tak Goo and Ma Joon is because she IS older. Eugene is 5 years older than Yoon Shi Yoon, and 6 years older than Joo Won. She can look youthful, but when put beside both these guys, she looks more like a woman next to two boys. Han Hyo Joo would've been a better pick since she's closer to both the guys age, but she's busy with Dong Yi. or Kim So Eun (Jan Di's bestfriend in BOF) would have been a better pick too. Who's a villianess besides Seo In Sook? I pity Secretary Han, stuck being a lowly consort/adulterer to the selfish greedy woman whose spawns are of no-good to the world. But then Secretary Han is such a wuss and a liar, I don't know why Tak Goo's father doesn't see through him.

I actually just started watching this drama over the weekend. I'm up to episode 10. I'm SO glad Tak Goo did not waste all of his youth JUST searching for his mother. It would make her so disappointed and sad that he didn't have the education and comforts of life that she traded her happiness for. But I'm glad he got some unconventional training for his baker career. Yoon Shi Yoon's voice sounds like Choi Si Won's voice a little bit. If he didn't have his hair over his forehead, he would look soooo young.

Joo Won, OMG! He is sooooooooooooooooo tall. He's okay looking. I knew he fell for Yu Kyung that night he met her. She's the reason he firmly sees Tak Goo as a rival. I thought that night the two boys were beginning to get along. But then again, I think he sorta has this love-hate relation with Tak Goo.

Yang Mi Soon's dad is from Love Marriage. He's funny. And I feel for Jin Goo, the windmill tattoo guy, he's not bad of a guy and the actor is good too.

The FreakLips girl Koo Hye Sun. I don't like her face or her so-called acting.
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 09-13-10 at 10:03 PM.

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

I think it's still filming and won't be airing until December. I'll just be watching Athena for Choi Si Won.

Suet Seung: Yeah, I really don't get why Eugene was casted for the role. I haven't seen Han Hyo Joo in anything yet but Kim So Eun would have been okay or anyone that looks their age that could act. Perhaps, they didn't think a younger actress would be able to pull off the role. After watching episode 27-29 I can see that somewhat of a dark side has developed in Yu Kyung but she's still not exactly evil and I wouldn't describe her as a villainess. She's just trying to get back at Seo In Sook. I really wonder how it will end, seems like there's still a lot to wrap up in one episode. There hasn't been any development in the relationship between Mi Sun and Tak Goo either.

Yup, Manager Han is quite a pitiful character. Ma Jun too. Poor kid has a lot of issues. I hope he's able to change for the better at the end.

I agree about Jin Goo. I felt so bad for him when Tak Goo realized he was the windmill guy. It was so sad, what happened to Tak Goo's mom wasn't really his fault. I'm glad Tak Goo was able to forgive him.

Yeah, Joo Won is super tall, makes YSY looks so short when standing next to him. YSY kind of reminds me of Lee Jun Ki and now that you mention it his voice does sound a little like Siwon's. Quite a deep voice he has.

Lol, Koo Hye Sun did make a lot of weird expressions in BOF. She was okay, she didn't bother me too much. I do agree that she could use some improvement in her acting. I would have preferred someone else playing that role.
    Botan, I guess you don't get to go on the internet often, I wrote that reply like days ago.

Yoo Kyung probably isn't going to be evil. But we know she's been planning to get back at Seo In Sook since she got kicked out of her own rental home 2 years ago and was treated like a filthy lowlife by her. Ma Jun's mom really needs a lesson in reading people. She can't even read people like Mishil in Queen Seon Deok. She makes a really stupid but still greedy, selfish villiainess. Not every girl is going to fall in love with your boy Ma Jun. It's Ma Jun thats googoo ga ga over Yoo Kyung. The woman is delusional. I can't wait for people to slap her and teach her a lesson!

Default Spoilersssssssssssss

Another post on Baker King Kim Tak Goo.

- I notice Ma Jun took his mother's surname when he's at the bakery and the fake name is almost similar to Tak Goo. At the bakery, the boys both have their mother's surnames, Kim and Seo. Tak Goo and Tae Joo. Haha

-- I don't particularly feel any chemistry between Eugene and either of the boys. I'm ready to support the bromance between Tak Goo and Ma Jun. They're so fun to watch together. Ma Jun feels jealousy over Tak Goo's but at the same time he doesn't really hate him because Tak Goo is the only person who treats him with genuine care like a brother. Oh the love-hate relationship.

-- Yang Mi Sun liked Ma Jun first, but I think Tak Goo also won her over.

- Somebody teach Seo In Sook a lesson! She needs to be taught where her place is. I don't know who gave her the right to treat people like crap and boss people around. She's the lowest of the low, despite how she thinks she's more superior than everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    Botan, I guess you don't get to go on the internet often, I wrote that reply like days ago.

Yoo Kyung probably isn't going to be evil. But we know she's been planning to get back at Seo In Sook since she got kicked out of her own rental home 2 years ago and was treated like a filthy lowlife by her. Ma Jun's mom really needs a lesson in reading people. She can't even read people like Mishil in Queen Seon Deok. She makes a really stupid but still greedy, selfish villiainess. Not every girl is going to fall in love with your boy Ma Jun. It's Ma Jun thats googoo ga ga over Yoo Kyung. The woman is delusional. I can't wait for people to slap her and teach her a lesson!
    LOl, has it been that long? Oh yeah, I do have internet and I'm on it pretty often. I just don't go on spcnet as often. Plus, I got caught up with some other things the past few days.

Lol, I agree about Seo In Sook. She is very delusional. She must have so much free time on her hands or have nothing else better to do in her life so she starts coming up with all sorts of weird thoughts and scenarios that aren't true. Just like when she kept thinking that Tak Goo wanted to take over Geo Sung, etc. She did end up getting a taste of her own medicine later on by Yu Kyung. The things SIS says to her daughters are terrible too, what kind of a mother says daughters are no good, worthless, etc. She's just awful.

I like watching the interaction between Ma Jun and Tak Goo too. The part where they got their hands tied together was funny.

Anyways, I just finished watching the last episode today. I thought it was going to be a rush ending but surprisingly everything wrapped up nicely without any loose ends. Most pitiful character would have to be Manager Han. I felt very very sorry for him.
    Last edited by botan; 09-19-10 at 02:46 AM.

I pity Goo Ma Jun. He never received genuine love and affection from his family. He sees Tak Goo as his rival because everyone just seems to naturally like Tak Goo. Fate is always on Tak Goo's side almost. But Tak Goo works hard to get what he wants and despite all the adversity that he faces, he triumphs over them bravely. Ma Jun is stubborn as Tak Goo is persistent, and they both have their own pride. But Ma Jun is so focused on winning over Tak Goo, that he fails to see that he had people who cared for him at the bakery, but he still chose to make the wrong decisions because of his envy and ambitions.

Life would be so much easier for Ma Jun if he would stop thinking like his mom and bio-dad. You don't have to scheme your way through life to get people to like you and love you. What's wrong with sharing? What's wrong with accepting people's help and saying what you mean instead of saying stupid things that you don't really mean? Many times, Ma Jun is standng at the edge of the cliff and there's times he makes a good decision only to mess it up some way or another. I hope by the end of the series he finally stands up from those shadows he's living in and makes a truly good and selfless decision for once.

I can't wait for Seo In Sook and Han Seung Jae to face complete and utter defeat! And the eldest daughter too! I can't wait to see all of Seo In Sook and HSJ's plans become a complete failure. Revenge is a dessert dish best served cold. So I'm waiting for that episode where they completely fall on their faces. No matter how hard they scream or yell out of frustration, they will crumble and face a punishment worse than death. They're so smug. They always talk about people not knowing their place, but they don't know theirs.
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 09-20-10 at 12:13 AM.

Yay, a thread for Baker King! I do hope that more people will watch the drama. It's been a few days since I finished it but I'm still a little attached to it for some reason.

Yeah, I totally agree with you about Ma Jun, Suet Seung. It seems like a back and forth thing for him. One moment you think he regrets his actions and then the next he continues with his wrongful deeds. I can understand the underlying reasons for his actions/nature, some of it being the environment, genetic (inherited from two obnoxious parents), and how he was traumatized from what he heard/saw from that one night in the rain when he was 12 years old but then sometimes you just want to wring his neck for all those things he does to try to win against Tak Goo. There were a lot of moments where I really disliked Ma Jun. He had everything whereas Tak Goo didn't. Ma Jun lived well, had an education, had parents, etc. Pretty much the opposite from Tak Goo. Yet he wasn't content with what he had and continued to make wrong decisions.

SIS and HSJ where too very hateful characters. They deserved what happened to them in the end but I do pity them though. Great performance by both actors I must say, they really portrayed their characters well, especially the actress that played SIS. As for the eldest daughter, she did say a few rude things to both Tak Goo and his mother but never really did anything that harmful two them. She did grow to accept TG in the end.

One thing that still puzzles me was the beginning parts where the police was after Yu Kyung. Did the second sister tell the investigators where YK was? Was that why they were able to find her at the Pal Bong Bakery? And was that why YK seemed angry at the second sister when she saw her again? Also, I never really understood why the police was after YK in the first place. What kind of school club was she in? I must of missed those scenes or didn't quite understand them 'cause I fast-forwarded a lot of YK's scenes. For some reason I found her to be a very boring character. The scenes between her and Ma Jun was really snoozer too. Oh and I agree about her lack of chemistry with both the male leads.

I thought Lee Young Ah had more chemistry with YSY than Eugene did. Her Mi Sun character was really fun. It was too bad that she didn't get much screen time. YSY and her were a cute couple too, a shame that their relationship wasn't really developed and was a little rushed in the end.

Whoops my post has gotten so long. It's been a while since I've had so much to say about a kdrama.
    Last edited by botan; 09-22-10 at 10:54 PM.

this is the first kdrama i've watched in a long time...i'm on ep 14 and hope to finish soon..
    ****Love, Live, and watch Asian Series****

i'm watching it, 2 more eps left ^^ i like it since eps 1 started.

@botan. YK got arrested because she's joining some kind of undeground group who against the governmont and yes the 2nd sis told the police.

In fact i didn't really like YK character and there's something 'bad' about her (the scene when she didn't want to ask for help and let her father lying there) and it's turned out true ,how she's changing because of power. So somehow that's why she's compatible with MJ
    Last edited by tanteun; 09-28-10 at 03:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tanteun View Post
    i'm watching it, 2 more eps left ^^ i like it since eps 1 started.

@botan. YK got arrested because she's joining some kind of undeground group who against the governmont and yes the 2nd sis told the police.

In fact i didn't really like YK character and there's something 'bad' about her (the scene when she didn't want to ask for help and let her father lying there) and it's turned out true ,how she's changing because of power. So somehow that's why she's compatible with MJ
    Oh I see now, thanks for the clarification. I can see how YK started resenting the Gu family. I can't believe the 2nd sis told on her and she was lucky too, she had her family to rely on since they have money and power.

Yeah, I was shocked by how YK wanted to just leave her father lying there. In the beginning parts, before the 2 year time jump, I thought she was okay and it seemed like she had a pretty strong personality. It was disappointing how she let negative thoughts such us taking revenge get the better of her. While watching the drama, I was like "no, don't listen to Ma Jun!" But she did anyways. Perhaps if she had not given up on Tak Goo she wouldn't have gone through all the confusion and pain. But then, like you mention, her and Ma Jun are quite similar so I guess that's why they are compatible and were drawn to each other. Glad everything worked out in the end though.
    Last edited by botan; 09-30-10 at 12:56 AM.

Yeah, I was shocked by how YK wanted to just leave her father lying there. In the beginning parts, before the 2 year time jump, I thought she was okay and it seemed like she had a pretty strong personality. It was disappointing how she let negative thoughts such us taking revenge get the better of her.
    I find it cruel but not impractical of YK not to save her father. If I were in her place, I probably wish that father would vanish so my life can be released from hell. Also, one of the reasons I thought she didn't want to save her father is because she didn't want her father to beat Tak Goo if he comes around.

I don't like Eugene's character as YK. Her strong personality is a put off at times. The only good point about her is that Tak Goo likes her and she's good to him. But once she betrays Tak Goo, she becomes a cheap person in my eyes. She doesn't deserve Tak Goo in my opinion. Tak Goo would never give her up or betray her even if life was hard. Tak Goo's life was forced by fate and circumstances, whereas YK's circumstances were more or less her choice. She doesn't have to work for Gu's family factory. And in the end, it was her vanity disguised as noble dignity that drives her to accept MJ's plan. I felt it was most foolish of her to give up Tak Goo for anything in the world.

No matter how much MJ is attracted to YK, I found his intentions and attraction towards her nauseating.
    Last edited by Nefertari; 02-19-11 at 10:10 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Nefertari View Post
    I find it cruel but not impractical of YK not to save her father. If I were in her place, I probably wish that father would vanish so my life can be released from hell. Also, one of the reasons I thought she didn't want to save her father is because she didn't want her father to beat Tak Goo if he comes around.

I don't like Eugene's character as YK. Her strong personality is a put off at times. The only good point about her is that Tak Goo likes her and she's good to him. But once she betrays Tak Goo, she becomes a cheap person in my eyes. She doesn't deserve Tak Goo in my opinion. Tak Goo would never give her up or betray her even if life was hard. Tak Goo's life was forced by fate and circumstances, whereas YK's circumstances were more or less her choice. She doesn't have to work for Gu's family factory. And in the end, it was her vanity disguised as noble dignity that drives her to accept MJ's plan. I felt it was most foolish of her to give up Tak Goo for anything in the world.

No matter how much MJ is attracted to YK, I found his intentions and attraction towards her nauseating.
    Yeah, that's true. I guess YK didn't really have choice. If she had saved her father, he would have hurt TG. He was an awful father anyways, so I can understand the underlying reasons for her choice during that time. I totally agree with you about YK's character and the nauseating factor with MJ too.
    Last edited by botan; 03-24-11 at 01:51 AM.