Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will you change your name?

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    I also have this hangup. I don't want to change it because the name was given by my parents and grandparents (specifically dad and grandma) and it's carefully thought out. I remember my mom said that my dad specifically want one specific character to be in my name. The name my parents came up with sounds cooler, but, my grandma didn't like it. So, she switched the characters around and it became an old-fashioned name. But, my favourite was the name my mom thought up but was not used.

Qiao-er (Hao Yi) 巧兒

Very poetic name. 思晨?
    Qiao-er has this very 古典 feel to it. Si Chen (sounds really boyish)

my mom calls me 'little duckling for the first six years of my life ~ she never called me by my formal name but every few months I gained a new 'nickname' especially when i was younger.

X_x

my dad calls me dolphin (not so often now but unless hes in a nostalgic mood), but i find them too agile for my liking. =( i preferred clumsier ones like seal, panda....penguin (believe it or not a good friend of mine calls me penguin for fun)

to GX and some others, im 'sheep' (which i like very much...the naive meek animal, always used as a sacrificial item.)
    o wilku mowa...♪

The only thing I need to know is that I don't know anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucre View Post
    Qiao-er has this very 古典 feel to it. Si Chen (sounds really boyish)

my mom calls me 'little duckling for the first six years of my life ~ she never called me by my formal name but every few months I gained a new 'nickname' especially when i was younger.

X_x

my dad calls me dolphin (not so often now but unless hes in a nostalgic mood), but i find them too agile for my liking. =( i preferred clumsier ones like seal, panda....penguin (believe it or not a good friend of mine calls me penguin for fun)

to GX and some others, im 'sheep' (which i like very much...the naive meek animal, always used as a sacrificial item.)
    u like them animal names, huh? I don't mind being known as bebe for the rest of my...adult life, but it's only reserved for those closest to me. After all, I thought it was name long before I knew my real adult first name hahaha. Sometimes though my family members forget to call me by my "big person" name...

PS I had a friend who called me koala bear and I hated it...like really hated it. They're not pretty or smart in my opinion LOL
    I like me.

Quote Originally Posted by ByTmE View Post
    u like them animal names, huh? I don't mind being known as bebe for the rest of my...adult life, but it's only reserved for those closest to me. After all, I thought it was name long before I knew my real adult first name hahaha. Sometimes though my family members forget to call me by my "big person" name...

PS I had a friend who called me koala bear and I hated it...like really hated it. They're not pretty or smart in my opinion LOL
    I guess it's cos I like animals; though I didn't start off calling myself animal names; people around me does it. The strange part is; I dislike being called by my 'first name'; I have in recent years told my new chinese friends just my Chinese name so they would not call me by my 'regular' name - the usual phenomenon here; if people knew you have a Christian name; they will never wanna call you by your Chinese name. When I was little I used to get very upset that I have a Christian name and I cried for it to be struck off from my official documents cos I think it sounded ugly. Lol.

Most people I met thought it's a nice name. x.X
    o wilku mowa...♪

I also usually told people my chinese name. Only if they have difficulty pronouncing or remembering my chinese name, I gave them my english name.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

cos I think it sounded ugly. Lol.
    It's not Ruth, is it?
    The only other name that comes to mind that sounds unpleasant is "Hagar",
    and I've not met anyone (female) in real life (yet) who is named so.

---

On topic:

I like my name. I've been given suggestions by some family members to change the Chinese characters of my name (while retaining the same sound) to something that they believe to be more auspicious, but since I'm not superstitious and they weren't seriously insistent about it, we just let it go. It sometimes comes up whenever we talk about names, but that's about as far as it goes.

---

btw, good topic, kidd.
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

I also usually told people my chinese name. Only if they have difficulty pronouncing or remembering my chinese name, I gave them my english name.
    i must be surrounded by 'bananas' =p most of them have difficulty remembering chinese and will bug for an 'english' name X_x

It's not Ruth, is it?
    The only other name that comes to mind that sounds unpleasant is "Hagar",
    and I've not met anyone (female) in real life (yet) who is named so.
    No, neither, but my parents like the name, so I'm stuck with it.
    o wilku mowa...♪

Quote Originally Posted by HuangYushi View Post
    I like my name. I've been given suggestions by some family members to change the Chinese characters of my name (while retaining the same sound) to something that they believe to be more auspicious, but since I'm not superstitious and they weren't seriously insistent about it, we just let it go. It sometimes comes up whenever we talk about names, but that's about as far as it goes.
    So, they say your chinese name is not good too?

btw, good topic, kidd.
    Thanks

I read this blog post yesterday.
    http://kcchin.multiply.com/journal/i...CHARACTER_NAME

It seems that this person's life did change for the better after he changed his name. I wonder if it's really the name or just the believe on the name that brought about the change.

He also let you download a short document on Visiber and numbers in another post of his.
    http://kcchin.multiply.com/journal/i...E_ALL_NUMBERED

In one part of the article, it explains that

美 = 大 + 羊 <-- Clash
    玲 = 王 + 令 <-- Sacrifice

The woman with this name will have a hard life because

Clashes = Ox and goat, both are to be servec on the dining table (all encompassing, sacrificing) - prone to accidents. It means a restless heart and easily hurt

Sacrifices = A female with the (king) character, tends to overlap the work of the husband (having to work on his behalf), a figure of hardship

Conclusion
    - Clashes and sacrifices between the two and independant entities, very likely to attract schemers and be sabotaged by them. Cannot take the initiative in work.
    - Wreck the family and the love between husband and wife, little progress in work despite efforts.

The name is taken apart and scrutinised. But, I wonder why the meaning of the whole character itself is not included in the analysis. Is actual meaning of the character less important than its parts? Strange.

美 - beautiful
    玲 - tinkling of jade

The traditional chinese naming system follow the brushstroke and 5 elements, but, this system doesn't seem to be. It studies the meaning of every part of a character separately.

Anyway, this is just for knowledge.

No, neither, but my parents like the name, so I'm stuck with it.
    Are you name after any Biblical character?
    Last edited by kidd; 09-26-10 at 10:26 PM.

Thanks

I read this blog post yesterday.
    http://kcchin.multiply.com/journal/i...CHARACTER_NAME

It seems that this person's life did change for the better after he changed his name. I wonder if it's really the name or just the believe on the name that brought about the change.

He also let you download a short document on Visiber and numbers in another post of his.
    http://kcchin.multiply.com/journal/i...E_ALL_NUMBERED

In one part of the article, it explains that

美 = 大 + 羊 <-- Clash
    玲 = 王 + 令 <-- Sacrifice

The woman with this name will have a hard life because

Clashes = Ox and goat, both are to be servec on the dining table (all encompassing, sacrificing) - prone to accidents. It means a restless heart and easily hurt

Sacrifices = A female with the (king) character, tends to overlap the work of the husband (having to work on his behalf), a figure of hardship

Conclusion
    - Clashes and sacrifices between the two and independant entities, very likely to attract schemers and be sabotaged by them. Cannot take the initiative in work.
    - Wreck the family and the love between husband and wife, little progress in work despite efforts.

The name is taken apart and scrutinised. But, I wonder why the meaning of the whole character itself is not included in the analysis. Is actual meaning of the character less important than its parts? Strange.

美 - beautiful
    玲 - tinkling of jade

The traditional chinese naming system follow the brushstroke and 5 elements, but, this system doesn't seem to be. It studies the meaning of every part of a character separately.

Anyway, this is just for knowledge.

Are you name after any Biblical character?
    considering that there are a gazillion names mentioned somewhere in the bible, almost all traditional christian names would have pop up in the bible one way or another (only a matter of whether the character is a prominent figure or not); but since i dont want to risk the minute chance that someone might guessed my real name in a public forum, im not giving an answer to this question.

some years back a fengshui master analyzed my name (with given 8-characters) and also nail down my personality pretty accurately she broke down my name into elements and parts rather than taking the word on it's whole. i guess the meaning of the word doesnt count for as much as the radicals used in the word itself.
    o wilku mowa...♪

Nah, no.
    My name is good, but they were thinking of getting it to fit into the numeric scheme, more for the sake of merely fitting more than anything else.

美 = 大 + 羊 <-- Clash
    玲 = 王 + 令 <-- Sacrifice
    The woman with this name will have a hard life .....
    That's a common name for girls in the 1970s. I had several classmates with that name. Poor women!

Remember the name-generator that you posted in another thread? The one that I used to checked Guo Jing/Huang Rong's compatibility, etc?

Now if we used one of the name-generators on that page and generated some male and female names with a common surname, like maybe 陈, and then used this "break-down" method to evaluate a few selected names, what do you think we would get?

After all, the name-generator does come up with some rather peculiar-sounding names.
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

Now if we used one of the name-generators on that page and generated some male and female names with a common surname, like maybe 陈, and then used this "break-down" method to evaluate a few selected names, what do you think we would get?

After all, the name-generator does come up with some rather peculiar-sounding names.
    Haha. I don't know what we would get. I don't know how to use this breakdown method. I wonder if it has a fix system or the characters are just subjective to the reader's interpretation.

It's interesting that so far, none of the respondents are willing to change their name because of reason 1. I guess most people here are not superstitious.

But, people around me seem like very persistent in wanting me to change my name.

Quote Originally Posted by HuangYushi
    I'm actually ok if only the characters are changed and the sound remains.It's the big changes that I'm not to able to go through.
    Last edited by kidd; 09-27-10 at 09:55 PM.

But, people around me seem like very persistent in wanting me to change my name.
    fo' realz? Gosh, don't hate, appreciate. What's the deal? After all, it's your name. I am personally not generally a fan of unsolicited advice...unless of course if you did ask 'bout suggestions on your name. Did you?

In fact, I am quite a superstitious person...but I also believe that I'm a very fortunate human being, so I rarely listen to negative readings.
    I like me.

fo' realz? Gosh, don't hate, appreciate. What's the deal? After all, it's your name. I am personally not generally a fan of unsolicited advice...unless of course if you did ask 'bout suggestions on your name. Did you?
    No lah. I didn't hate. I know they just suggest it because they care (4 people already said my name not good) and I've been having problems lately.

In fact, I am quite a superstitious person...but I also believe that I'm a very fortunate human being, so I rarely listen to negative readings.
    Haha. Good for you.

No lah. I didn't hate. I know they just suggest it because they care (4 people already said my name not good) and I've been having problems lately.
    LoL for "Don't hate, appreciate." It's for your criticizers to appreciate your uniqueness rather than chiding you in keeping your name. But it's clear you can see their well placed intentions. I'm sorry you're having problems, but sometimes those problems do make you stronger and wiser as a person lol personal experience.
    I like me.

Is it only just lately or all your life? If it's all your life then their good intentions would seem more well-placed. If it's based only on recent events then they would appear to be behaving rather hysterically.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    Is it only just lately or all your life? If it's all your life then their good intentions would seem more well-placed. If it's based only on recent events then they would appear to be behaving rather hysterically.
    Since early last year things has totally gone downhill. But, I think the build up has gone on for quite some time before the downhill. But, I also have been quite lucky. Always got people willing to help me.
    Last edited by kidd; 09-28-10 at 02:42 AM.