Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will you change your name?

Default Will you change your name?

Will you change the name given to you by your parents/grandparents for the following reason?

1) Someone told you that your name does not suit you and not good for your life (luck, health, money) and changing your name will bring you better luck, health and success.

2) You join a new religion and the religion require/recommend you to change your name.

3) You get married and want to follow your spouse's surname.

4) Just want to change to signify a new beginning.

5) Someone give you $1,000,000 to change your name.

Will you be willing to change if

1) The new name is similar sounding to you old name, just changing the spelling, character a little. Example: Li Yi change to Li Yin or Li Yi (李怡) to Li Yi (李儀)

2) The new name is completely different from the old name. Example: Noel Li Mei Yi to Jessica Li Siew Wen.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

I don't have much attachment to my name in the first place that I didn't see it as a big issue to change it - only that it's troublesome to change. But for the sake of the thread, I'll answer them.

1) Nah...cos that's pure superstition. My faith forbade me to indulge in that.
    2) If I actually embrace that faith, then I would do as required.
    3) That is acceptable for me. I'm a girl after all.
    4) Yea, sounds like a good idea to me.
    5) Oh hell yeah! In the ideal world yes obviously. =p The realistic world often means that 1,000,000 would not be easy to receive, even as a gift. I don't want to get into legalistic trouble.

1) I rather change into something entirely different. =p But I'm not against that.
    2) I prefer that, really. =p

PS. Kidd, you can't count beyond 5 issit? why did the numbering go back to 1 after 5, instead of 6 & 7???
    o wilku mowa...♪

The only thing I need to know is that I don't know anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucre View Post
    PS. Kidd, you can't count beyond 5 issit? why did the numbering go back to 1 after 5, instead of 6 & 7???
    Haha, no lah. I just thought the second set of 1 and 2 are for a (very) slightly different question/situation. First set is to see whether you are willing to change under different circumstance. Second set is to see how far you are willing to change.

I'm more attached to my name. So, if have to change, I would prefer changing back to something similar to my old name.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    Will you change the name given to you by your parents/grandparents for the following reason?

1) Someone told you that your name does not suit you and not good for your life (luck, health, money) and changing your name will bring you better luck, health and success.

2) You join a new religion and the religion require/recommend you to change your name.

1) The new name is similar sounding to you old name, just changing the spelling, character a little. Example: Li Yi change to Li Yin or Li Yi (李怡) to Li Yi (李儀)

2) The new name is completely different from the old name. Example: Noel Li Mei Yi to Jessica Li Siew Wen.
    The only instance where I would consider changing my name is my last name after I get married. I already told my boyfriend I'd take his last name. The only place I may leave my last name as it is would be for my work, because it'd just cause a lot of confusion.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

If there's a compelling reason, sure, I'll consider it.

I don't really believe this kind of "superstition," so probably not.

If I love the religion so much as to join it, then sure.

We must have talked about it before marriage, so if I still married him, sure.

If it's truly a new beginning, maybe. Like if I made a humongous mistake in the past and I want to forget about everything.

If no other requirement, sure!
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

I don't really like my name, but I'm used to it that I can't imagine having another name. It's part of me and my identity already. So it's a 'no', for all the listed reasons.

I will keep my maiden name should I get married one day. I don't see the point of changing it.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by xJadedx View Post
    The only instance where I would consider changing my name is my last name after I get married. I already told my boyfriend I'd take his last name. The only place I may leave my last name as it is would be for my work, because it'd just cause a lot of confusion.
    I don't think I would ever cause confusion if I changed my surname. It's strange because I think I must be the only person with that first name in my company (a place where you have more than 10,000 permanent staff working in the same place) so everyone just refer to me by my first name. But it's a name that I didn't really like because I don't like the sound of it. bleh....but I'm stuck with it. So obviously I welcome any reason to change it.
    o wilku mowa...♪

The only thing I need to know is that I don't know anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    I don't really like my name, but I'm used to it that I can't imagine having another name. It's part of me and my identity already. So it's a 'no', for all the listed reasons.

I will keep my maiden name should I get married one day. I don't see the point of changing it.
    I'm in the same situation. I grow to like my name and I'm reluctant to change it even when 4 people already said it's not a good name. Haha, I personally don't think so. Yeah, I'm facing some hardship now, but, I also can see that I've been quite luckily so far.

As for changing name when married, it's not a practice here in my place. None of the married woman I know official change their surname. They are addressed as Mrs.<husband's surname>, but, their IC is still the same and their full name is still the original maiden name.

Someone tried to convince me to do this once and that person had malicious intentions...why do I always meet these people? I told them a name does not define necessarily who a person is but my name happens to be very fitting for me lol <--I said that part because I wanted to snub them. My name means beautiful and beloved. I also said I was born a lucky person so I didn't need advice like that. ::nose in the air::

If I believed, then yes. Sometimes when you are ordained, you may get a new name.

I would do this.

Too expensive and tedious to do so...

Sure why not. Dude, it's $1,000,000 and there seems to be no other conditional restraints lol....I'm not deeply attached to my name.

I don't understand the motivations behind the changes...so no? I don't really like my name all that much, but I don't dislike it either. People always react to it too when they see my ID or passport...don't know why either.
    I like me.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post

We must have talked about it before marriage, so if I still married him, sure.
    LoL since you're a "him" would you change your surname to her's?
    I like me.

Lol, I don't care about my name. Changed it first thing when I went to college.. well, not legally though. But was in a new city, new faces.. intro myself as Kay and made my professors call me Kay. It's even Kay on my resume HAHAHAH. Most people haven't got a clue my "soon-to-be-legal" name isn't even Kay.
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by ByTmE View Post
    LoL since you're a "him" would you change your surname to her's?
    Well, it doesn't apply to me in the real world since virtually all cultures dictate the woman changing the last name to the man's.

But if I were a woman, I would consider it.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

If I give someone a million bucks to change their name, it'll be a very embarassing & full of lolz one. Gotta get your money's worth.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

like McLovin in superbad?

I can't imagine other forces to drive me to change my name at the moment besides due to family reasons. It's like only the one who gives you the name (or the elder of my family), can change my name. My name has been changed before I even learned to say A, B, C. A name which I like better than my current one, heh.

Si1 (Thoughts? Eg. Si Kao, Si Xiang) Chen (Morning, day. Eg. Zao Chen)
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    I can't imagine other forces to drive me to change my name at the moment besides due to family reasons. It's like only the one who gives you the name (or the elder of my family), can change my name. My name has been changed before I even learned to say A, B, C. A name which I like better than my current one, heh.
    I also have this hangup. I don't want to change it because the name was given by my parents and grandparents (specifically dad and grandma) and it's carefully thought out. I remember my mom said that my dad specifically want one specific character to be in my name. The name my parents came up with sounds cooler, but, my grandma didn't like it. So, she switched the characters around and it became an old-fashioned name. But, my favourite was the name my mom thought up but was not used.

Qiao-er (Hao Yi) 巧兒

Si1 (Thoughts? Eg. Si Kao, Si Xiang) Chen (Morning, day. Eg. Zao Chen)
    Very poetic name. 思晨?
    Last edited by kidd; 09-24-10 at 12:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KeongJai View Post
    like McLovin in superbad?
    That's an awesome name.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

I also have this hangup. I don't want to change it because the name was given by my parents and grandparents (specifically dad and grandma) because it's carefully thought out. I remember my mom said that my dad specifically want one specific character to be in my name. The name my parents came up with sounds cooler, but, my grandma didn't like it. So, she switched the characters around and it became an old-fashioned name. But, my favourite was the name my mom thought up but was not used.
    Yeah, it's the family significance there which I find it important. I like anything with a significance attached to it in general.

Qiao-er (Hao Yi) 巧兒
    Very ladylike, sweet and unique name. Reminds me of the lady in ATV's Yi Wu Fan Gu starring Tam Yew Man, Harwick Lau.

Very poetic name. 思晨?
    That's the right characters! It's especially this 晨 because I was a 'morning' baby.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

That's the right characters! It's especially this 晨 because I was a 'morning' baby.
    It's a very nice name, and I've got a soft spot for the 晨 character.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

I'll change my name for reason #3. I'll take my husband surname. Or I might just keep my maiden name for my middle name (since I don't have any).

I'll give a very very serious thought for reason #5. I'd like to think that I will say yes (who doesn't want money?), but knowing myself I might refuse. Why would someone pay money to change my name? This is one of those 'what if' situations that you can't really answer until you really have to in real world.

I'm willing to change my name for reason #4 if it really has to be done. Something like where I have to go under witness protection program & start a new life somewhere. Other than that, no.

I never believe in reason #1, so that would never happen.
    And I don't think I'll ever change my religion. Definitely no to #2.

I'm happy with my name as it is. I've been living my life so far with this name & it's been okay. The only thing I sometimes regret is my name is too short. Just 2 words : my name & my surname. No middle name, no nothing else.

And I wouldn't change my name to the other extreme.