方展发(Pierre Png) as Luo Shun-an
    蔡佩璇(Cai Pei Xuan) as Hong Youli
    曹国辉(Terence Cao) as Su Nancheng
    黄世南(Huang Shi Nan) as Hong Shichuan
    詹金泉(Adam Chen) as Zhang David
    刘谦益(Richard Low) as Luo Zhibin
    严丙量(Yan Bing Liang) as Xu Xiong
    何洁(He Jie) as Yu Jiao

The Fig (无花果): embodies decay and destruction. It is usually used in rituals. In the bible, the fig tree is able to differentiate good and evil.
    An accidental death (the victim had died after falling from a building) was investigated upon by a retired police officer and his pathologist son, and the truth was unravelled, layer by layer, to uncover a ghastly scandal, where human nature reared its ugly head. The moral of the story? No one can escape the long arm of justice.

click to show/hide spoilers

The Beginning

Anna Xu, the chairman of T&E, and her husband, Luo Zhigang, were immensely successful and influential in the business circles. Shunbang was Anna and Zhigang's only son. A free-spirit, he fell over heels in love with his company's employee, Tianlan, and courted her even though she already had a steady boyfriend, David Zhang. This disrupted Tianlan's peaceful existence but unbeknownst to her, a more serious challenge was about to begin.

As Anna and Zhigang were entertaining guests at their wedding anniversary party they hosted, when their retired butler, Xu Xiong, fell to his death. Zhibin, a police officer and Zhigang's cousin, and his pathologist son, Shun-an, started to investigate the case. Henceforth, Anna's life started its downward spiral.

The death sparked speculation of a scandal and invariably harmed the couple's reputation. Anna's business competitors start to close in on her and to add to her problems, Su Nancheng, the man who entered an illicit deal with her all those years ago reappeared. This put Anna in a spot and stoked Zhigang's jealousy, as the latter irrationally did something that could never be salvaged. David discovered the truth by accident and was mowed down by the drunken Shunbang. This accident caught everyone off guard.

With their reputations tarnished, Anna was ousted from T&E. She reflected and realised the causal effect behind all that was happening. The root of this chain of incidents stemmed from a traffic accident that happened 20 years ago, and an immense hatred had started to brew through the 2 decades. The villain behind Anna's downfall, it turned out, was totally unexpected...

Theme song
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4J9J...eature=related

12-minute preview
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLlnDp4_k3c

----------

This show looks so dramatic. Even the theme song sounds dramatic. But it is good to see Xiang Yun in a non-neighbourhood auntie show.

This show has a good basic plot, with a highly intriguing theme.

However, the show still felt draggy much of the time. While supposedly a suspense, romantic and emotional scenes seem to form a large proportion of the show. Unfortunately, unimaginative scene composition together with some subpar acting made most of such scenes difficult to enjoy.

Among the actors, only a few veterans, particularly Huang Shi Nan and Xiang Yun, lived up to my expectations. Richard Low's character was also rather fun to watch.

Late in the serial, the story did feel less draggy as the revelations picked up pace. But I think by that time, many viewers would have given up on the show.

On the whole, I'd say that the idea behind the show is commendable but was perhaps overly ambitious and needed a better cast and production crew to pull off. This show is somewhat similar to The Truth 《谜图》 shown in 2008 but I thought the latter was more enjoyable.

Among the actors, only a few veterans, particularly Huang Shi Nan and Xiang Yun, lived up to my expectations. Richard Low's character was also rather fun to watch.
    I agree. I think that's why I liked their characters (including Huang Wenyong's) best, although for Richard Low's character I don't like him but despise him. IMO, he's the hypocrite of the show who never got exposed as he should be.

My least favourite character is Zhou Tianlan. I'm not sure if it's the character or actress which I don't like or maybe it's both. She seems to be always on the verge of tears (how tiresome is that), is always weak and all. I was amused when Yuki and Shun-an described her as 'strong' during her mother's funeral. She was anything but strong! Besides, just look at how she mentally disintegrated soon after. You call that strong? Humans must be really weak then.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

I very much prefer the veterans - Xiang Yun, Huang Wenyong, Huang Shinan and Richard Low.

I can't stand those scenes with the two leads (Zhang Yaodong and Paige Chua). Zhang Yaodong's performance was actually not bad, though his character was irritating and came more across like a stalker to me. The female lead had a constipated face for most of the time.

Pierre Png and Cai Peixuan were ok. They didn't have much chemistry with each other though.
    Last edited by convoy; 11-09-10 at 09:36 PM.

I like this drama, eps Xiang Yun's role. Does anyone know where I can download it?
    Idol: Liza Wang Ming Chuen
    fav drama: War of In Laws, A Matter Of Customs, ATE, Blade Heart...
    forum: http://lizawang.go-forum.net