Thread: FIFA World Player of The Year 2010

Default FIFA World Player of The Year 2010

Well, who will it be? If it's club form, it has to be Sneijder or Messi I guess.

Throw in the performance of the world cup, and Forlan, Muller, Sneijder are the stars. Messi, Ronaldo and especially Rooney sucked big time in World Cup. The three biggest names of football pre-world cup combined have zero goal!

If tradition is followed, someone from Spain got to be crown as the player of the year. Who from Spain should get this? Spain play as a team that it's hard to pick up a more performing individual. If there's the best pair of the year, then easily it has to be Xavi + Iniesta.

its got to be Xavi who had a great campaign with both Barca and Spain...consistency personified...the rest all had great club seasons...and the world cup was one big fruit mixer at the end of the day!
    "The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience."
    -Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam to Paul Atreides

On the basis of last season, I think Messi deserves it for his play both in La Lagia and the Champions league. But given Spain's WC victory I do believe it will go to Xavi for whom it would be a well deserved acknowledgement of excellence over the last several seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanlie Tong View Post
    On the basis of last season, I think Messi deserves it for his play both in La Lagia and the Champions league. But given Spain's WC victory I do believe it will go to Xavi for whom it would be a well deserved acknowledgment of excellence over the last several seasons.
    Barca lost the champions league remember...if its just club even C Ronaldo has a good chance of nicking it and so does Rooney who had an exceptional goal scoring season last year...but Xavi's been the rock of Gibraltar for both Barca and Spain..hell Iniesta cuts it much closer than Messi there as well...

..as a Man Utd fan ...i am more envious of Barca cos of Iniesta and Xavi than i am of Messi
    "The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience."
    -Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam to Paul Atreides

Quote Originally Posted by yongbifan View Post
    Barca lost the champions league remember...if its just club even C Ronaldo has a good chance of nicking it and so does Rooney who had an exceptional goal scoring season last year...but Xavi's been the rock of Gibraltar for both Barca and Spain..hell Iniesta cuts it much closer than Messi there as well...

..as a Man Utd fan ...i am more envious of Barca cos of Iniesta and Xavi than i am of Messi
    Barca did lose the Champions League but Messi was still the leading scorer in the competition which is why I mentioned the CL.

I can understand why a United fan is more envious because of Xavi & Iniesta since I think the midfield is United's biggest weakness, but Messi is simply in a different class than any other player in the world right now.

Messi is no doubt the best player by a significant margin now, but he lacks the playmaking role, which makes him unable to be a matchwinner if his team is lacking the supply from midfield. This is the only weakness, making him less influencial versus players like Maradona, Zidane, Cryuff. This is also why Messi could shine in Barca ... because there's Xavi and Iniesta to pull the strings, and why he couldn't perform the same in Argentina shirt. If only Riquelme was in the world cup, they could very well won the tournament with Messi the runaway top player, and Maradona would have been elevated to god status in Argentina.

Quote Originally Posted by shortsight View Post
    Messi is no doubt the best player by a significant margin now, but he lacks the playmaking role, which makes him unable to be a matchwinner if his team is lacking the supply from midfield. This is the only weakness, making him less influencial versus players like Maradona, Zidane, Cryuff. This is also why Messi could shine in Barca ... because there's Xavi and Iniesta to pull the strings, and why he couldn't perform the same in Argentina shirt. If only Riquelme was in the world cup, they could very well won the tournament with Messi the runaway top player, and Maradona would have been elevated to god status in Argentina.
    I think you would have been correct before this season but not anymore. He is playing in the middle and coming back to receive the ball. Did you see Barca's games against Real & Espanyol? Messi didn't score in either match but he had 5 assists and was the most influential player on the pitch.

Like I said, Messi shines when there's other players containing the opponents in midfield. Until Barca could still stomp teams around without Xavi and Iniesta bossing the midfield, then Messi would be coming out of age. With Zidane and Maradona however, there's no need for Xavi and Iniesta. The past 3 years or so has shown that glory is following these two guys, rather than Messi.

It would be like Messi is the best graphic card in a computer system, but it requires a good processor. Zidane, Maradona however were the top processors. All of them are the best, just on different categories.

Like I said, Messi shines when there's other players containing the opponents in midfield. Until Barca could still stomp teams around without Xavi and Iniesta bossing the midfield, then Messi would be coming out of age. With Zidane and Maradona however, there's no need for Xavi and Iniesta. The past 3 years or so has shown that glory is following these two guys, rather than Messi.

It would be like Messi is the best graphic card in a computer system, but it requires a good processor. Zidane, Maradona however were the top processors. All of them are the best, just on different categories.
    We are going to have to agree to disagree. Out of curiosity how many Barcelona games have you actually watched this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Wanlie Tong View Post
    We are going to have to agree to disagree. Out of curiosity how many Barcelona games have you actually watched this year?
    Seriously, if you question that, we are out of discussion. I don't watch all of Barca games, but a lot. I followed football since late 80's, watched plenty other past games before that from other sources.

I agree to disagree. I value player from midfield engine more than a striker. You probably are partly correct this season with Messi dropping further down the midfield, but until Barca plays a great team and wins with such Messi setup, he will be in the 'graphic card' category. And don't get me wrong, as I noted in previous reply, Messi is by far the best player.
    Last edited by shortsight; 01-04-11 at 09:19 PM.

Seriously, if you question that, we are out of discussion. I don't watch all of Barca games, but a lot. I followed football since late 80's, watched plenty other past games before that from other sources.

I agree to disagree. I value player from midfield engine more than a striker. You probably are partly correct this season with Messi dropping further down the midfield, but until Barca plays a great team and wins with such Messi setup, he will be in the 'graphic card' category. And don't get me wrong, as I noted in previous reply, Messi is by far the best player.
    The only reason I asked about watching Barca was because I wasn't sure if you had seen the differences between how & where Messi is playing this season versus previous seasons. Cruyff noted in his weekly column in El Periodico how Messi has taken on much more of a playmaking role. That said, Cruyff wrote said Xavi should win the award.

Lionel Messi wins Fifa world player award

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_622774.html

On that day of 2010, the Fifa world player was enduring around the best player in the world that is Sir Lionel Messi and surprisingly 7 years after that on tosday also it all endured arond Lionel Messi ,and the most intresting and important part of this is that that year of 2010 people discussed about messi and on today's date of 2017 people have discussed about messi .
    And the Fifa player of the year 2017 is Lionel Messi for the 5th time.
    For an insight of the player check -http://www.100mph.in/

So, any updates this year? Missed the news on FIFA.